Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Not judging, but it is funny how much coaches love to recruit guys they've played with before.  I think all Rivera's selections are former Carolina staff so far.

I dont believe del rio coached for Carolina. 

At least not at any time when rivera was there.

I think he was there for a year in 2002.

You have to think Rivera knows who his OC is going to be at this point. Whether it's KOC, Turner, or someone who knows they're about to be fired...if he's interviewing and/or hiring offensive assistants then he knows who the guy is. It just hasn't been announced yet. 

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You have to think Rivera knows who his OC is going to be at this point. Whether it's KOC, Turner, or someone who knows they're about to be fired...if he's interviewing and/or hiring offensive assistants then he knows who the guy is. It just hasn't been announced yet. 

That would be my  guess, ConnSKins.

42 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The sense I get is that KOC will be the OC - if he was going in a different direction you’d think KOC would have been let go by now. Now they are filling out the position coaches. The QB coach role will be critical - especially if KOC is allowed to leave.

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

The sense I get is that KOC will be the OC - if he was going in a different direction you’d think KOC would have been let go by now. Now they are filling out the position coaches. The QB coach role will be critical - especially if KOC is allowed to leave.

This is where i wouldnt mind scott turner as qb coach.  Bring in someone you can promote from within when KOC leaves

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I'm kinda in this same boat. I don't think its a guarantee, but the only other guy we've heard interviewing is Turner who has a very limited resume. I don't doubt him because we've seen some father-son lessons in terms of passing knowledge, like the AJ Smith to Kyle Smith, Mike Shanahan to Kyle Shanahan, Buddy Ryan to Rex Ryan. But there was also Buddy Ryan to Rob Ryan so who knows? But I think with Norv as his dad he could be a good coach in training. 

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Why would you not name the OC if he’s already on staff prior to naming the position coaches? They already named the DC and ST coordinator. 

29 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Why would you not name the OC if he’s already on staff prior to naming the position coaches? They already named the DC and ST coordinator. 

You're gonna lose it if after an obviously heavily considered and thought-through interview process Rivera still makes KOC the OC, huh? Narrative-wise, you've got a lot riding on this. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

You're gonna lose it if after an obviously heavily considered and thought-through interview process Rivera still makes KOC the OC, huh? Narrative-wise, you've got a lot riding on this. 

Then it’s Dan doing Dan things and meddling. Same ole same ole if that happens...

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You forgot, he's also hedging. 

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Then it’s Dan doing Dan things and meddling. Same ole same ole if that happens...

Yes, we know you have really enjoyed saying this over and over with no proof. 

Btw, I hope it's Shurmur personally with Turner as QB coach or even KOC as QB coach if his opportunities outside this team are being exaggerated. 

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'd be pretty happy with pat shurmur.

Proven offensive coordinator and proven to be able to develop a quarterback. 

Certainly looks great on paper.

I also tend to like the Peter Principle guys who are great coordinators who have already failed as HCs. Obviously guys sometimes get multiple chances, but way less chance they get poached, making continuity more of a possibility. 

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

We know KOC is under contract for another year.  Is that regardless of his title?  Bc if so, I get the sense Rivera wants to interview someone from a team still in the playoffs to be OC, but wants KOC on staff, possibly as QB coach, so Rivera is just buying time.  

16 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yes, we know you have really enjoyed saying this over and over with no proof. 

Btw, I hope it's Shurmur personally with Turner as QB coach or even KOC as QB coach if his opportunities outside this team are being exaggerated. 

I think Ron will bring in a proven OC with plenty of experience.  

I don't think KOC will be our QB coach, it would be too awkward if the new OC struggles and players start to call for O'Connell.  I honestly think Turner will be our QB coach and we will bring in a proven OC.  But who knows, maybe KOC will impress Ron enough for him to trust him with the keys to the offense.  Highly unlikely though considering how organized and detailed Ron seems to be.

4 minutes ago, Sknsnation said:

no shi%t!!
keeping with the thread title, I would try looking at Pete Carmicheal...O.C for the saints....just my 00.2 cents.

He's not getting fired so that's not really an interview we can make happen unless the Saints allowed it, which they wouldn't. 

Rivera would know Shurmur well.   They were in Philly together for years as assistant coaches.  I've not been impressed with his play calling in NY, I've watched most of their games.  But he does have a reputation of being a QB whisper.  Daniel Jones looked decent for a rookie this year.  Keenum had his best year under him. 

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That would then be a decision he'd have to make.

If we demoted him he could leave for another job.

No he can’t unless he left for a head coaching job or college job. He can’t speak to another team without permission or unless we released him. Titles no longer mean anything. The NFL only recognizes Head Coach and Assistant Coach. If you are an assistant coach you need permission to interview for another assistant coaching position regardless if it’s a different title.

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He's not getting fired so that's not really an interview we can make happen unless the Saints allowed it, which they wouldn't. 

Carmichael interviewed with the Packers but he has no experience with Rivera....not going to happen.

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That would then be a decision he'd have to make.

If we demoted him he could leave for another job.

Ok, I wasn't sure if he could get out of the contract if he was demoted.  I think if Rivera wanted him as OC, he'd be named already.  Maybe he is just keeping him on the back burner knowing he can't leave yet, and seeing if there is anything better out there.  I'd assume he is eyeing someone in particular and has to wait til they lose. 

Archived