Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

Just now, bh32 said:

yet they allowed QB's to complete 65 percent of their passes with a qb rating of 91 and thats not counting their pathetic 39 sacks for a defense that plays a 1 gap rush the passer on every single play..

There is no way you can singularly hold a completion percentage against a d line

Our d line is our strength and the scheme made them look pedestrian, and that was with Tomsula.  

Nolan likely goes vanilla and rushes 3 or 4 and drops into zone every play causing that defense to struggle again, but i assure you... the right scheme with tomsula as the d line coach and that d line is scary.

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

There is no way you can singularly hold a completion percentage against a d line

Our d line is our strength and the scheme made them look pedestrian, and that was with Tomsula.  

Nolan likely goes vanilla and rushes 3 or 4 and drops into zone every play causing that defense to struggle again, but i assure you... the right scheme with tomsula as the d line coach and that d line is scary.

We are just gonna agree to disagree..The Redskins have played the wrong scheme 

Guy was on Del Rio's defensive staff with the Raiders for three years. Maybe he just wanted to be home in CA; for everyone, staying glued to the NFL isn't the blood of life. My guess it that he was coaching high school because it's something he enjoyed. Thankfully he's not the Redskins HC, though. 😂😂.

18 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So what will this Brent character be doing?

He coached the safeties and also worked with the linebackers during his time with Del Rio in Oakland. I'm guessing he'll be assigned to one of those position groups in some kind of capacity.

Didn’t Ernie work with Norv at some point? Or am I making that up?

Or maybe Ernie followed Norv in Dallas.  

It appears as though Ron is assembling the “Jr” coaching staff. Son of Norv, Son of Earnie, JDR’s son is a quality offensive assistant or something....

Lots of football lifers.  

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Didn’t Ernie work with Norv at some point? Or am I making that up?

Zampese was the WRs coach under Gibbs when he was the OC of the chargers. Ernie was the OC of the Rams when Norv was the WRs coach, back in the 80s.

Also, as noted above, Zamp replaced Norv in Dallas. Ernie was also a senior offensive consultant for Gibbs II, 2004. 

It appears as though Ron is assembling the “Jr” coaching staff. Son of Norv, Son of Earnie, JDR’s son is a quality offensive assistant or something....

Don't forget about Vincent Rivera.

3 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Zampese was the WRs coach under Gibbs when he was the OC of the chargers. Ernie was the OC of the Rams when Norv was the WRs coach, back in the 80s.

Also, as noted above, Zamp replaced Norv in Dallas. Ernie was also a senior offensive consultant for Gibbs II, 2004. 

Don't forget about Vincent Rivera.

And Steven Sims Jr. 😂

So far I haven't found anyone loving Scott Turner as a possible OC...but I'm searching between Jan 1, 2015, and Dec 31, 2019, so that I eliminate the complimentary tweets and comments that get tossed around whenever someone is hired. Much like many here who think our current coaches/scouts/personnel guys must not be much since "nobody has tried to hire him away" or whatever, I wanted to see if Scott's name was coming up a lot over the years and not just now. I haven't found much so far outside of comments from his coaches and of course his father.

One article I did find, though, talked about Scott Turner's possible usefulness in terms of implementing analytics into things:

How Analytics Affects An NFL Offense

Following Ron Rivera’s departure last week, a lot has changed in Carolina.

There is a new head coach, a new assistant head coach, a new offensive coordinator and there’s still no clarity on who exactly is calling plays on defense with both Perry Fewell and Eric Washington prominently involved Sunday in Atlanta. However, one thing that seems very clear is that David Tepper wants his team to be right at the forefront when it comes to the use of analytics moving forward – this likely played a major part in the decision to promote Scott Turner to be the new offensive coordinator. While there has already been a lot written about how a team might go about greater using analytics, and some of the pitfalls to watch for in doing so, what can Turner do as offensive coordinator to really embrace analytics, as opposed to the head coach or the GM?

(unfortunately, the article doesn't really 'splain why Turner is associated with the use of analytics)

[...]There is a reason why the NFL still employs offensive coordinators and not statisticians to run their offenses; there is still an awful lot of room for gut instinct – but there’s a new generation of coaches emerging in the NFL, and there’s possibly no clearer indication of that than the passing of the torch from one Turner to another.

https://theriotreport.com/analytics-panthers-scott-turner-david-tepper-new-coach/

All these "familiar" hirings from Rivera don't surprise me. He said himself he does not have the patience for a rebuild, and I'm sure he also does not have the patience to learn the habits of an entirely new staff. He must feel good about what he can do with those guys. As I've heard said on local radio, "OK, but you better be right." George Allen did the same thing when he came here from the Rams, so much so that the media dubbed the team "the Ramskins." And that worked out pretty damn well. Hopefully we get a similar level of success from Captain Ron Burgundy. 

53 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Probably nothing more than he's a young dude, must be into analytics.

He's actually been around a little bit... according to Wiki

Coaching career[edit]

Scott Turner started his coaching career at the high school and college level from 2005 to 2010.

In 2011, Turner started his NFL coaching career with the Carolina Panthers under first-year head coach Ron Rivera. Turner served as the offensive quality control coach for two seasons with the Panthers.[3]

Turner joined the Cleveland Browns in 2013 as their wide receivers coach, coaching with his dad and offensive coordinator Norv Turner for the first time.[4]

In 2014, Scott Turner was hired by the Minnesota Vikings to be their quarterbacks coach under first-year head coach Mike Zimmer and his father and offensive coordinator Norv Turner.[5] Turner spent a lot of time working with Teddy Bridgewater, drafted 32nd overall in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.[6] In 2015, the Vikings won the NFC North division title but lost to the Seattle Seahawks in the wild card.

Turner was terminated by the Vikings in January 2017. His firing came 3 months after his father, Norv Turner, abruptly resigned as the Vikings' offensive coordinator.

Following his release from the Vikings, Turner was hired as an offensive analyst on Jim Harbaugh’s staff at the University of Michigan.

In 2018, Turner returned to Charlotte as the Panthers' quarterbacks coach.

On December 3, 2019, the Panthers, fired Ron Rivera and made Perry Fewell interim head coach. A few days later, Turner's father was moved from offensive coordinator to special assistant to the head coach while Turner himself was promoted to offensive coordinator replacing his father.[7]

Josh Gordon had over 1600 yards when he was the WR coach in Cleveland, Bridgewater went 6-6 in his rookie season while Turner was the QB coach in Minn, and was handed a rollercoaster coaching situation in Carolina.

I'm not saying he's some prodigy, but he's also not completely green.  

Archived