Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

I can’t see anyone else reporting an interview with Pat Shurmur. I suspect that what’s being reported are internal meetings/discussions in which he’s been talked about as an option - and that’s somehow been twisted.

I doubt we have actually talked to him. More than one reporter would be talking about it if that had happened.

6 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I guess it's officially official now...LOL

I read a bit about him and noticed on his LinkedIn profile that he was the Direct of Rehabilitation with the Redskins while Schottenhiemer was here in 2001.   

Mr. Vanilla is the new DC of the Dallas Cowboys

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Saints LB coach Mike Nolan is expected to join the Cowboys.

Specifically, Slater's source said, "That’s what I’ve heard in the building ... Mike came by and said goodbye. I’d say it’s pretty certain." Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero added that the Cowboys are "zeroing in on" Nolan. He's spent the past three seasons coaching the Saints linebackers. Previously Nolan held defensive coordinator positions with the Falcons, Dolphins, Broncos, Ravens, Redskins, Jets, and Giants dating back to 1993. Nolan also served as the 49ers' head coach from 2005-2008, during which time new Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy was his offensive coordinator. The Cowboys boasted the league's 11th-ranked scoring defense in 2019.

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If we're going to fill our coaching staff, training staff, and even Front Office with ex-Panthers, then how can we expect results any better than what the Panthers have been having ?

Hopefully we won't have a QB with half his shoulder torn off from taking too many hits.

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If we're going to fill our coaching staff, training staff, and even Front Office with ex-Panthers, then how can we expect results any better than what the Panthers have been having ?

For starters I don't believe that past results are any guarantee of future results. 

There's too many variables, different opponents, different players constantly coming in, new environments, the ability to adapt and learn from past mistakes.

That said I'll take a 15 and 1 season with a trip to the superbowl, we can squabble all you want about what we should do after that.

I also find it weird that Rivera's leaning almost exclusively on his old staff. I know it's somewhat normal, but he has the opportunity to build from the best brain trusts available. He supposedly has been studying the team for weeks in anticipation of getting this job. I would have hoped that that included evaluating his own staff and who else is out there.

Maybe his guys are really good. Maybe knowing how Rivera likes to work and what he wants is more key to him than other factors, but you'd think there would be a few people outside his immediate circle who he'd want to poach. On the other hand, it does feel kind of Gibbs II. Does anyone think Joe Bugel was the best O line coach in 2005?

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I also find it weird that Rivera's leaning almost exclusively on his old staff. I know it's somewhat normal, but he has the opportunity to build from the best brain trusts available. He supposedly has been studying the team for weeks in anticipation of getting this job. I would have hoped that that included evaluating his own staff and who else is out there.

Maybe his guys are really good. Maybe knowing how Rivera likes to work and what he wants is more key to him than other factors, but you'd think there would be a few people outside his immediate circle who he'd want to poach. On the other hand, it does feel kind of Gibbs II. Does anyone think Joe Bugel was the best O line coach in 2005?

Weird to go with those you know and had success with?

I'll take Carolina's results, over the time of RR's tenure.

Of the 3 key positions, DC and SpecTeams have been filled by non RR dudes.

RR can fill the spots with whomever he wants, looking forward to the changes!

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

He has never worked with Jack Del Rio before and Jack will call defensive plays. Depending on who the OC is, could be someone new as well calling the plays for offense. That’s not a recycled staff when the top of it is new..

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

obviously.....TALENT!

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I understand this feeling, but I am somewhat heartened by the fact that he didn't completely bring the whole band back together. Eric Washington was the Def. Coordinator and Perry Fewell was the DB Coach on his staff in 2019 and he didn't bring those guys with him. We picked Jack Del Rio instead of Eric and Eric's specialty is the d-line and we brought in Sam Mills instead of him. He's from the panthers as well, but he skipped Eric for a reason, the same Eric that Ron took defensive play calling from late last season.  And then rather than Perry Fewell, he picked Chris Harris, Asst. DB Coach from the Chargers.

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

As I've mentioned multiple times, Zampese is one of the best QB Coaches in the league. This would be one helluva hire if things work out and he's not snagged by someone else. I hope we get him. The excitement continues to build.

2 hours ago, Harriet33 said:

wow...

Not a big fan of the Turner hire. New offense means a learning curve for an already young offense. Plus Turner was an OC for like 5 minutes. This screams good old boy hire if you ask me.

By that logic OC/DC opportunity should never go to anyone who doesn't have an extensive resume. We would never have McVay, Matt Lefleur, Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor if their coaches didn't think they were ready. 

33 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

As I've mentioned multiple times, Zampese is one of the best QB Coaches in the league. This would be one helluva hire if things work out and he's not snagged by someone else. I hope we get him. The excitement continues to build.

Yes... I saw Turner for OC and thought "oh gee, ok." IDK Norv was always a good OC but a terrible HC. Unfortunately we had him as a HC.  Maybe Jr. will do fine. But when I saw Zampese.... OMFG. They have to get him signed. I have been wanting the team to get him for many of many years. Zampese is the Best of the Best. The Redskins can't let him leave the building. Get him signed. 

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

Is Del Rio a Panthers retread? 

14 minutes ago, VRIEL1 said:

Yes... I saw Turner for OC and thought "oh gee, ok." IDK Norv was always a good OC but a terrible HC. Unfortunately we had him as a HC.  Maybe Jr. will do fine. But when I saw Zampese.... OMFG. They have to get him signed. I have been wanting the team to get him for many of many years. Zampese is the Best of the Best. The Redskins can't let him leave the building. Get him signed. 

Junior will at least have his dad as a great resource...I know that sounds terrible but it can't hurt to have Norv as a resource.

3 hours ago, Harriet33 said:

wow...

Not a big fan of the Turner hire. New offense means a learning curve for an already young offense. Plus Turner was an OC for like 5 minutes. This screams good old boy hire if you ask me.

Most times a team starts over with its coaching staff, it IS filled with good old boy hires. The head coach wants to give the team a certain culture. He does that by teaching it to his players. It takes longer to teach it to the players if he has to teach it to his coaches first. Once the team's been running a year or two, that's when you'll see more people being hired from outside the circle.

McVay did it by taking on former Redskins here, Shanahan by taking on former Redskins and other assistants from the teams he's been on. The only time it should be worrisome is if the team is failing multiple years in and they still keep drawing from the well of bad but familiar staff.

3 hours ago, Harriet33 said:

wow...

I hear you, but I'm not sure what I make of KOC. He certainly didn't scream wunderkind once he got his shot... though he ended pretty well. My guess is that Ron gave O'Connell a chance to wow him in an interview. Kevin either failed to do so or intimated that his heart wasn't really in it and that he would bolt if given his prefered position.

17 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Is Del Rio a Panthers retread? 

Exception makes the rule?

The interesting thing about a Scott Turner hire is he would have lived through the Norv years and dismissal. Him agreeing to work for Snyder suggests that the family bares no grudges.

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Him agreeing to work for Snyder suggests that the family bares no grudges.

It suggests that you don't turn down an OC job in the NFL.

It suggests that you take work when you can get it.

For all intents Scott had reached the level of QB coach in the NFL, under Ron. The brief OC "promotion" was due directly to Ron being fired. 

An QB coach in the league doesn't turn down an OC job especially when your previous team is going to flush the entire positional coaching staff anyway, and also if your prospects for being an OC reside solely upon one person, Ron. 

Likewise, Scott will be surrounded and shielded by the hardened seniors like Ron and Jack ... and presumably Zampese too. So even if he had animosity toward Dan, he'll be isolated from Snyder.

Archived