Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Joe never called Dan Mr. Snyder.  He addressed him as Daniel in his opening press conference.  And I think went back to Dan after that.  

Wow..I was just thinking..and I kid you not...voice of reason never responds to my posts....

I was thinking this while typing it up...coach has always called dan..dan.. not sure he ever addressed him as Mr Snyder lol..thought I'd just go with it

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Joe never called Dan Mr. Snyder.  He addressed him as Daniel in his opening press conference.  And I think went back to Dan after that.  

And I know Dan hates being called Daniel...maybe that's why coach went back to just calling him Dan haha

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Wow..I was just thinking..and I kid you not...voice of reason never responds to my posts....

I was thinking this while typing it up...coach has always called dan..dan.. not sure he ever addressed him as Mr Snyder lol..thought I'd just go with it

The name thing was stupid back in The day.  Pre-Marty, calling Dan Mr. Snyder was the rule.  

Marty famously called him Dan, almost as an insult.  

There was actually a question what Gibbs was going to call him, and he broke out Daniel.  More respectful but also not Mr. Snyder. 

Shrug.  It’s all nonsense.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

The name thing was stupid back in The day.  Pre-Marty, calling Dan Mr. Snyder was the rule.  

Marty famously called him Dan, almost as an insult.  

There was actually a question what Gibbs was going to call him, and he broke out Daniel.  More respectful but also not Mr. Snyder. 

Shrug.  It’s all nonsense.

Yes it was stupid...I believe dan has matured enough to get away from the I need to be addressed a certain way...I just remember the interview he had and the reporter called him Daniel and he flipped on the reporter..any way I agree its nonsense..I appreciate you sharing that info with me too!!

After reading this article, I really want to hire Larry Johnson (OSU DL coach who developed the Bosas and Tamba Hali as well) as our defensive line coach so he can continue working with Chase and can develop Sweat to his full potential.  Here are some excerpts:

COLUMBUS — There is no standing appointment with Chase Young, and his request for some extra film from Ohio State can come at any time.

So, it was no surprise when he walked through the door of the defensive line meeting room on a Thursday during the off date for the Buckeyes, in no rush to leave the Woody Hayes Athletic Center when he could be anywhere else and teammates were buzzing around the hallways with plans to get out of town for the weekend.

Larry Johnson is always prepared with something for Young.

Clips of the next offensive tackles who have the misfortune of trying to block the junior. Old practice footage of Joey or Nick Bosa to compare and contrast how the famed pass-rushing toolbox Johnson teaches is being used by Young. Fresh footage of another productive outing in a win over Michigan State that showcases how he disrupts a game even when he’s not piling up sacks at his usual rate.

The projector fires up, Johnson grabs a clicker — and Young laughs as a raw, five-star prospect at DeMatha Catholic High School shows off a pass rush move that he would spend the next three years trying to erase from his arsenal.

The potential was unmistakable even back then, and it’s hard to argue with the results as the highlights play. But Young is able to rattle off flaws in rapid succession, even mimicking the exact same language Johnson uses before the words are out of the coach’s mouth.

How did Chase Young become the most dominant defensive player in America? Go back to the beginning.

“It’s enlightening to sit here with Coach J,” Young said. “And I feel like when you’re enlightened, you change. I’ll go back and look at my freshman tape and see just how different I was compared to now. All the stuff that he always preached, you can just see how over time it just changed.

Even in high school, Johnson would get calls at least three times each week from Young.

You coached Tamba Hali? What is wrong with this stance? How is the family doing?

The connection between the two came naturally, and Johnson was watching every bit of film he could find to start planning for a chance to actually get his hands on Young and truly unleash the otherworldly potential.

“Loved his get off,” Johnson recounted as the high-school clips played. “But I have to fix his stance, his back leg is not crossing the line of scrimmage. Pushing on his front foot and not gaining ground. Have to get the first step across the line of scrimmage to gain ground faster for pass rush and run fits. Pass-rush techniques, hands are down. He would call me and I would say: ‘Your knee is way down on the ground, you have no power.’

“We would talk probably three nights a week. Sometimes he would call me late at night and say, ‘Coach, you up?’ And we would talk a little about football, a little about me and my beginning, where I started, where I learned this or that from. I knew he was watching me and wanted to go find out as much as he could about me. That’s what started our relationship, he wanted to really find out who I am.”

Johnson was doing the same in return, getting to know what made Young tick.

What he really wanted to find out was if he truly had the desire to put in the work that greatness requires, because it was already clear how special he could be.

“I feel like it’s crazy to look at how Coach J can develop a player,” Young said. “I feel like it’s a true testimony to how good of a coach he is, because with anybody else, maybe I would still be doing that same rip move that I did in high school.

“I might not have had a coach always on me to stop using that move.”

Johnson worked to faze that out of the arsenal, instead installing the side scissors, the double scissors, inside side scissors and long arm techniques that are his trademarks.

“It was a test, and going through all that, I’m good with it now because I know how that feels. With the whole double teams and chips and stuff like that, it really doesn’t faze me anymore because I trust in Coach J. They can’t do that the whole game. If they want to win the game, they can’t throw those little 5-yard passes the whole game. They’re going to have to launch the ball, and when they do, that’s when you’ve got to make them pay for it. You just have to take advantage of your opportunities. I feel like after going through that, I’m ready for anything.”

That, of course, is bad news for those tackles that Young spends hours studying each week.

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/chase-young-ohio-state-buckeyes-football-development-rise-nfl-draft/

21 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron talked to Joe because Joe worked for Dan.

Also cant forget Joe's legendary NASCAR career as well. He's probably revered equally in the Charlotte area as he is here, when you count that, plus the Carolinas once being a strong place of support for the Redskins. And also , Rivera played against Gibbs' teams in the 80's with the Bears, im sure.

They probably talked numerous times even before this.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Also cant forget Joe's legendary NASCAR career as well. He's probably revered equally in the Charlotte area as he is here, when you count that, plus the Carolinas once being a strong place of support for the Redskins. And also , Rivera played against Gibbs' teams in the 80's with the Bears, im sure.

They probably talked numerous times even before this.

Is there another person in sports history who has been as successful in two different sports than Joe Gibbs has been? He's won multiple titles in two different major sports....Ron picked the perfect guy to talk to.

3 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

GrandMama? 

Larry Johnson's son is the stud RB who played at Penn State, then the Chiefs and ultimately with the Skins. He used to coach at Penn State. Between his son and Chase Young those are two guys who play angry....gotta believe he had a lot to do with it.

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Is there another person in sports history who has been as successful in two different sports than Joe Gibbs has been? He's won multiple titles in two different major sports....Ron picked the perfect guy to talk to.

Joe Gibbs was also busy owning the sport of NASCAR in 19.  His teams won over half the 36 races. Including the Daytona 500 and Championship. 

3 of the 4 race cars in the Championship race in Miami were Joe Gibbs cars. The 4th car was owned by Joe's protege Tony Stewart, who won 2 championships driving for Joe in the 2000s. 

The guy knows how to put together a team. It's awesome he is still willing to help out the Redskins. 

13 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

After reading this article, I really want to hire Larry Johnson (OSU DL coach who developed the Bosas and Tamba Hali as well) as our defensive line coach so he can continue working with Chase and can develop Sweat to his full potential.  Here are some excerpts:

Thanks for the article.  Loved reading about Johnson, but also loved the info on Young.  Hopefully that quiets the "Young seems lazy and unmotivated" crowd.

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Wonder if DS or Rivera could swindle Larry to take the LB's job. Bringing him into the NFL and better pay?

Ron Rivera bringing aboard several members from his Carolina staff, per sources to

: * OL coach John Matsko *

ex-WRs coach Jim Hostler *

Panthers longtime trainer Ryan Vermillion. *

DL/game mgmt coach Sam Mills III to interview.

Some more info on our potential new OL coach

https://www.panthers.com/team/coaches-roster/john-matsko

COACHING
John Matsko enters his 28th season in the NFL and ninth with Carolina in 2019. He was promoted to running game coordinator in 2016 after five seasons of excellent work with the Panthers' offensive line. Since Matsko's first season with the Panthers in 2011, Carolina ranks third in the NFL in rushing yards (16,892) and second in rushing touchdowns (138).

Are these confirmed? I'll update the OP assuming they are. I can always change it.

Hostler's bio does not impress. On paper, I'd really rather have kept Hilliard.

Jim Hostler enters his first season as Carolina’s wide receivers coach in 2019. Hostler will enter his 19th season in the NFL after a one-year stint as the offense – pass game coordinator for the Green Bay Packers in 2018.

https://www.panthers.com/team/coaches-roster/jim-hostler

According to Finley there are a few confirmed.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/whos-report-shows-rivera-hiring-new-coaches-booting-some-redskins-favorites

The Redskins moved fast to hire Ron Rivera, and the new head coach is moving quick to assemble his staff. It helps that most of his former assistant coaches from the Panthers are available.

Rivera will bring in John Matsko to coach the offensive line and Jim Hostler to coach wide receivers, The Athletic Carolina has reported. It was already clear that former interim head coach Bill Callahan would not be back with the Redskins to coach the offensive line, but the Hostler move means the end for Ike Hilliard as Redskins receivers coach. He had been with the Redskins since 2014.

More reports show that Rivera could bring in Sam Mills III to coach the defensive line, the son of former Panthers linebacker legend Sam Mills. If Mills joins the staff would formally boot out the team's most beloved former assistant coach in Jim Tomsula. 

Expect Rivera to bring in a number of Panthers assistants, as that staff will largely be turned over as Carolina searches for their new head coach and in many ways, a new identity. New owner David Tepper is looking to put his stamp on the organization this offseason. 

The Redskins already officially named Jack Del Rio as defensive coordinator and the team could announce a number of other official hires next week. Don't expect any official word this weekend though. 

Perhaps the biggest question remaining for the Redskins coaching staff is what happens at offensive coordinator. Incumbent playcaller Kevin O'Connell has met with Rivera, sources confirmed to NBC Sports Washington, and is under contract with the team for another season. Some expect O'Connell to return and continue to work with rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, but that's not a given. 

O'Connell will have options around the league, as will Rivera. In fact, Rivera already brought in Scott Turner for an interview. Turner served as quarterbacks coach in Carolina, a role he could take in Washington. But Turner also got experience as offensive coordinator with the Panthers, ironically, after Rivera was fired in December. Turner's father Norv also coached the Redskins for nearly a decade in the 1990s. 

Rivera found a lot of success with the Carolina Panthers. It looks like he's trying to replicate it in Washington.

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Skinsinparadise first shared them. @Burgold I do not think anything is confirmed yet. I just didn’t know how to move it all over here after I quoted it.  Really like the OL coach. Haven’t looked much further than that. If that is THE Sam Mills it would be amazing to have him on staff, he was a monster when playing.

Looking quickly i believe you're talking about his dad who played for the Panthers and Saints, who it appears passed away from colon cancer. 

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Hostler's bio does not impress. On paper, I'd really rather have kept Hilliard

I know nothing about him but He was an offensive coordinator 12 years ago and held multiple titles which suggested his skill was beyond that of a typical position coach so I would assume he's more than qualified to be a wide receivers coach.

Hilliard failed with guys like Doctson and Pryor just as spectacularly as it seems he'd begun to succeed with McLaurin, Harmon, and Sims. Crowder honestly felt like he'd regressed by the end here, and he's our only former WR out having success in the league. I think a clean slate is fine, those young WRs were obviously talented even to fans during training camp. Not going to sit here and pretend we can for sure thank Hilliard for the young guys' flashes. 

24 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I know nothing about him but He was an offensive coordinator 12 years ago and held multiple titles which suggested his skill was beyond that of a typical position coach so I would assume he's more than qualified to be a wide receivers coach.

More importantly, in his first season for Rivera as a WR coach he did a GREAT job with young WRs DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel. Not to mention McCaffrey practiced some with the WRs as well. He is a qualified replacement with a lot to teach, obviously. 

Archived