Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Short of having a Pro Bowl year, I dont see how you re-sign him.  And if he's gonna miss games outta the gate, it's only fair to question his durability.  He's already likely out for week 1, if he misses week 2, he will have missed exactly 50% of the games since he's been in the league.  He'd have to.come back from this injury and play out of his mind.  Just looking solid isn't gonna cut it.  He'll have to regain his top form with somebody else cuz it won't be here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I don't care what he does this season. You sign Sweat and trade Young. 

At this point, re-signing Sweat should absolutely be "let's wait and see".  If he doesnt pull a contract year Daron Payne type season, why are you dropping top dollar on Sweat?  He's bern good, not great.  Cuz remember Payne was basically outta here when last season started.  I feel like Sweat is in a similar situation.  

What I'm afraid of is the situation with Young will make us less critical of whether Sweat should come back.  Like, we'll feel we cant let them both walk at the same time. 

And for the record, I'm not against Sweat coming back, he's been a good player. But I think as an edge rusher, he'll command more than I would be willing to pay for what he's done.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'm skeptical about a guy in a contract year that plays 4 snaps and is out with a stinger. I didn't see where he would have sustained the injury but it's always possible that preseason injuries get exaggerated as a strategy. Spine and neurological patient complaints can often have no objective signs of anything. Specifically, where grading a patients severity is completely subjective. You'll not know until certian key points are tested. One is where the athlete only subjects himself to injury risk at the time that benefits him the most ie, Week 1. 

I remember Emmitt Smith's tried-and-true training camp plan - not to play. At all in the preseason. Smart IMO.

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I'm skeptical about a guy in a contract year that plays 4 snaps and is out with a stinger. I didn't see where he would have sustained the injury but it's always possible that preseason injuries get exaggerated as a strategy. Spine and neurological patient complaints can often have no objective signs of anything. Specifically, where grading a patients severity is completely subjective. You'll not know until certian key points are tested. One is where the athlete only subjects himself to injury risk at the time that benefits him the most ie, Week

he collided with a guy with his shoulder, that's one of the key parts of getting a stinger

• Like 1

At this point, is there anyway he is actually here next season?  My magic 8 ball says, “all signs point to no”.

He’s trending towards being a draft bust for sure.  After he leaves the team at the conclusion of the season, bounces around between a few other teams in a couple of years, maybe he can be brought back as a “sideline director of team morale” to cheer the guys on.  

Seems like a natural fit with the experience he has in it so far.  

I can't recall ever hearing of a player missing lots of time with a stinger....to me it's always been an in-game injury that hurts like hell but goes away and the guy plays again in the same game. I suspect this may be more than a stinger? Hope Im wrong cause I'm no expert on stingers. 

• Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I can't recall ever hearing of a player missing lots of time with a stinger....to me it's always been an in-game injury that hurts like hell but goes away and the guy plays again in the same game. I suspect this may be more than a stinger? Hope Im wrong cause I'm no expert on stingers. 

When I was playing sports in high school (I’m 34) the training staff used “stinger” to mean any nerve issue that they couldn’t get a bead on in the moment. I had a “stinger” that kept me from lifting my arm for over two weeks after I temporarily separated the nerves between my neck and shoulder during a wrestling match—the trainer even let me finish the match with one arm because they said they didn’t know how bad it was, just that it couldn’t get worse. So I did (and got my ass kicked). It took weeks to heal and it was ****ing terrifying not knowing how long I’d be missing the feeling in my arm and the ability to lift it. One day, the nerves just fired again and I was fine (still bothers me when it’s cold out for some reason). 

All that to say, would we really be surprised if Rivera was using generic 1990’s terminology to describe an obviously more complex nerve issue? 

As a prior tweet pointed out, not being transparent with the extra damage done to Young’s knee ligaments (aka not just an ACL) set unreasonable expectations for his original return date for that injury, too. This is a hornet’s nest that Rivera seems fond of stepping in. 

I would put my money on Rivera using imprecise language that he’s comfortable with, and them being paranoid in their conservative timetable for his full return, over Young having some sort of unprecedented injury. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I don't care what he does this season. You sign Sweat and trade Young. 

Why would anyone trade for him? They can get him next year if they really want him.  He will be out of league in 2-3 years. 

He isn’t even worth a 7th rounder.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb down 2

The 2020 season is certainly a long time ago, and unfortunately he’s hurt again and this time without a diagnosis or timetable for return. The optics of him as a player do not look good right now - hoping he proves many of us wrong but sometimes it is what it is.

Losing DL or fear of them walking I think led to drafting Phil Mathis... nothing against the player but Ron had to draft a DL to address a situation he largely created/ignored. Keep drafting DL with 1st rounders and they pan out - well they are gonna need to get Payne Payed Paid or walk. By year 4 we should really know if we want to retain Chase and Sweat and have those 2 future salaries largely figured out. All i see are more picks were used on the position. Taking BPA into positions of strength means you need to make trades too, sometimes.

I miss the days when the front 4 could be set and not have to fret over it every year. Mann and Manley manning the ends. OK who are Brooks Anderson and Potato'e.

Edited by RandyHolt

51 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

If you think Ron is being roasted for letting Trent, Scherff and Moses walk, just wait and see what happens when we have no DEs next year. This team floundering with no DE or LBs will have this board smoking.

He's already in a tenuous position with a new owner who is looking very carefully this season to see who (if anyone) he keeps from this regime. If Ron has this team start slow out of the gate again, then we have the expected mediocre season of around 8 wins followed by letting two DEs walk during the offseason, you can bet he's going to be spending 2024 working on his resume. 

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Why would anyone trade for him? They can get him next year if they really want him.  He will be out of league in 2-3 years. 

He isn’t even worth a 7th rounder.

He's a former first round pick. A team will give something to see if it can turn him around. You see it all the time with QBs.

38 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

He's already in a tenuous position with a new owner who is looking very carefully this season to see who (if anyone) he keeps from this regime. If Ron has this team start slow out of the gate again, then we have the expected mediocre season of around 8 wins followed by letting two DEs walk during the offseason, you can bet he's going to be spending 2024 working on his resume. 

RR's teams have a history of slow starts, I don't see that changing.  I'm pretty sure they will clean out everyone before any decision on the DEs are made.  I also agree with the comments on Sweat. He has been pretty good, nothing more, and fans are starting to notice this.  

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, madden lot said:

It's sad when we let our emotions get the best of us because a player doesn't meet our expectations. 

I don’t have emotions. Not anymore. I got hurt when Chase did. Only my injury was much more severe. A broken heart 🥺

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Conn said:

When I was playing sports in high school (I’m 34) the training staff used “stinger” to mean any nerve issue that they couldn’t get a bead on in the moment. I had a “stinger” that kept me from lifting my arm for over two weeks after I temporarily separated the nerves between my neck and shoulder during a wrestling match—the trainer even let me finish the match with one arm because they said they didn’t know how bad it was, just that it couldn’t get worse. So I did (and got my ass kicked). It took weeks to heal and it was ****ing terrifying not knowing how long I’d be missing the feeling in my arm and the ability to lift it. One day, the nerves just fired again and I was fine (still bothers me when it’s cold out for some reason). 

All that to say, would we really be surprised if Rivera was using generic 1990’s terminology to describe an obviously more complex nerve issue? 

As a prior tweet pointed out, not being transparent with the extra damage done to Young’s knee ligaments (aka not just an ACL) set unreasonable expectations for his original return date for that injury, too. This is a hornet’s nest that Rivera seems fond of stepping in. 

I would put my money on Rivera using imprecise language that he’s comfortable with, and them being paranoid in their conservative timetable for his full return, over Young having some sort of unprecedented injury. 

Sounds like your injury was similar to former Redskin Kyshoen Jarrett? I guess it's possible Young's is similar as well...

• Sad 2