Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

If we had gone QB in 2020, we would have picked Tua instead of Herbert.  Nobody had Herbert above Tua on their boards.  But Tua was coming off the Bo Jackson injury.  Herbert over Chase is 100% hindsight bias.  Would anyone here rather have Tua than Chase and Howell?

At the end of the day, Chase only looks like a bust because he got a devastating knee injury and hasn't been able to really get back onto the field ever since.  You can't predict that stuff on draft day.  Otherwise he was one of the best college edge prospects I've ever seen, and he was a Probowler as a rookie.  We're not second guessing that pick today, and instead we're feeling great about our future if not for that knee injury.

Football is a brutal game, particularly at the NFL level.  One behavior that is always disappointing is when fans mock and blame players for getting injured.  It's the trashiest ****ing behavior and it's always been normal around here.

Agree with the rest of your post but Tua was awesome yesterday and looked like an MVP candidate, and was fantastic last year too before the injuries. I'll take an injury prone superstar potential QB over an injury prone superstar potential DE but either way its hindsight bias because very very few people were advocating Tua over Young at the time.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Of all the things to talk about today and y'all keep harping on Young. It's bizarre to me.

Best case- He comes back, balls out like a monster and we trade him for a high pick

Worst case- He doesn't play and becomes a 3-5th rd comp pick.

The only way you have any control over Chase Young to get something back for him is you tag him at the end of the year.  Given his injury history, nobody is going to give you a high pick for one year of Chase Young on a high money contract no matter what he does this year.  Even if he comes back game 3 and is NFL DMVP, nobody wants Chase Young on a 1 year franchise tag enough to give up a high pick.

Due to the way that compensatory picks are determined where you have to also account for who you sign, it is unclear if you'd get any pick for him.  And there's almost no way you'll get a 3rd.  3rd round picks are guys that started every game and sign long term contracts at $80 million +.  It is extremely unlikely you'll get a 4th. Chase Young is almost certainly looking at some sort of 1/2 year deal on a prove it contract.  The better he plays the higher the dollar amount on that contract.

We're supposed to have a nice chunk of cap room at the end of the season, which means we should be able to bring in free agents which will likely negate any that we lose in terms of the comp. pick calculations.  But Young almost certainly isn't going to get a big enough contract to drive much of a comp. pick if at all.

**EDIT**

And to be clear, the worse case is that he has another major injury to that knee and is out of the league next year.  If a team calls the today and offers a 4th round pick, they should take it.

Your upside and downside are both way overly optomistic.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Of all the things to talk about today and y'all keep harping on Young. It's bizarre to me.

Best case- He comes back, balls out like a monster and we trade him for a high pick

Does it really take that long for me to make a post in response to someone else? 

Does that inconsequential amount of time (consider observation and argument a form of entertainment) really equate to "harping" on anything?  That people on a sports message board would talk about things related to this or that team should almost never be considered bizarre.  It's one of the least high-stakes topics and many of us have thousands of posts over decades. That is what is bizarre.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2023 at 8:32 PM, redskinss said:

This is reminding me of the antonio gibson fumble in the preseason last year.

He had worked all offseason on his fumbling problem and he fumbled early in the preseason and the mob reacted the same way to him that they are to this.

It was cut him, trade him for a ham sandwich, bum can't hold onto the ball etc.

Turned out he had fixed that problem (not one fumble in 15 games) and the one in the preseason was just a fluke.

Chase's career has been a disappointment so far there's absolutely no doubt but have a little patience with this injury it absolutely could be just a fluke like gibson's fumble last year.

Good timing with the Gibson fumble comparison :ols:

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Because now is the time to make a decision.  We just can't afford him and Sweat.  Sweat is the better player.  

If we wait until the end of the year, we are risking another injury.  Unless like I said earlier, Ron may think we are the 2019 49ers and can contend this year with our d-line alone. 

Nobody is giving a 4th for Young right now. In fact, he’s not even cleared to play. There have been what 28 games Washington has played since Young recorded a half a sack. 

I think you keep him on the roster for now. See if he can make any progress this year and if he does, try to work out a one year deal with him next year with the hopes of him rebuilding his value. If not, move on.  He’s only 24 and hopefully he has it in him to work his ass off to be the best he can be.

I was just thinking of Michael Strahan who didn’t become a force until his 5th season. His first 3 years he was active for 39 games and had a total of 13 sacks and 2 int. I don’t know how many for a loss. His 4th he had 5 more sacks. It wasn’t until his 5th that the broke out and had double digit sacks.

not saying Young is Strahan, but through 3 seasons he has 9 sacks over 28 games. There is more to the story than just sacks, but it’s hard to compare when it seems that back when Strahan was first playing they didn’t keep as good of records for DEs. 

Now, Young has done himself no favors by refusing to show up to offseason practices to advance his learning and becoming something more than just another guy. In fact, I have a feeling Sweat will be an even better player with Young gone. 

As far as “not needing” Young, I totally disagree. It will be best if he gets back into the game and just wreaks everyone. If that happens, our D line will be unstoppable. It would be in our best interest if that happened. I would prefer to have a situation where you have two guys you have to pay. In fact, if Sweat can build on yesterday, you sign him long term and if Young comes out and is the player that we need him to be, well you have the tag. 

Furthermore, there is no comparing Parsons and Young. They play differently, their bodies are built different and Young will never be used in the ways Parsons is. It just doesn’t make sense to compare the two. It’s like when Deebo was killing it two years ago and everyone wanted to compare everyone to him. Or people comparing guys to Tyreek Hill. You can’t, they are their own stars. 

But Chase can still be Chase and get double digit sacks, he just needs to really really work. It may come and it may not. I’m in his corner even though I think ultimately he ends up just being a guy.  

I also think he will be in this league until he’s at least 30, barring more injuries. However, if he’s not getting double digit sacks, then he will at least need to learn to stay in his lane and not freelance to make his career last longer. We haven’t really seen that from him either. 

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

As far as “not needing” Young, I totally disagree. It will be best if he gets back into the game and just wreaks everyone. If that happens, our D line will be unstoppable. It would be in our best interest if that happened. I would prefer to have a situation where you have two guys you have to pay. In fact, if Sweat can build on yesterday, you sign him long term and if Young comes out and is the player that we need him to be, well you have the tag. 

This kinda brings up the question about having 2 dominant pass rushing ends. Point was made on Hoffmans show yesterday about how well Smith-Williams played. He played the right technique forcing RB's wide/back which allowed the tackles and Sweat to capitalize. Do you need the 2 dominant pass rushing ends or is having one guy that plays within the scheme and can force a play into the others just as valuable?

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, dyst said:

I wonder what the medical staff see that makes them recommend keeping him inactive - given that he himself thinks he’s ready to go. 

Medical staff being told they want to trade him (to be clear, I'm just speculating here)...but folks like @PeterMP are right on the disturbingly low return on value even if we try to trade him.

It's hard to process folks here openly rooting for Dallas to kick our ass the last game before that draft so we could get him to only a couple years later wondering if we can even get a 4th or 5th rounded for him.

Regardless of how this season plays out, if some how extension talks come in the table for Rivera this has to come up for grounds for pulling power from him so he's just a head coach if he wants to stay.

cat.jpg

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Medical staff being told they want to trade him...but folks like @PeterMP are right on the disturbingly low return on value even if we try to trade him.

It's hard to process folks here openly rooting for Dallas to kick our ass the last game before that draft so we could get him to only a couple years later wondering if we can even get a 4th or 5th rounded for him.

Regardless of how this season plays out, if some how extension talks come in the table for Rivera this has to come up for grounds for pulling power from him so he's just a head coach if he wants to stay.

cat.jpg

Where did you hear about the medical staff and trade? Did I miss it in here? I hadn’t heard that. 

Absolutely a dumb idea if they are keeping him out for that reason. He should be playing and trying to build his trade value before the deadline. He has no value right now.

9 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Where did you hear about the medical staff and trade? Did I miss it in here? I hadn’t heard that. 

Absolutely a dumb idea if they are keeping him out for that reason. He should be playing and trying to build his trade value before the deadline. He has no value right now.

Unless they think the backup is playing better? That's the only reason that I can think of not to play him. Any word on his return yet?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I'm totally speculating...folks have done that in the NBA before...i don't believe he has any value even if he plays well because he can't stay healthy and is vastly underachieving.  But I don't think they can trade him if he gets injured (would fail a physical at minimum).

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm totally speculating...folks have done that in the NBA before...i don't believe he has any value even if he plays well because he can't stay healthy and is vastly underachieving.  But I don't think they can trade him if he gets injured (would fail a physical at minimum).

Not possible here. It would make no sense at all for them to do this. Not sure why they would even cponsider it to be honest. Team wants him on the field. He has no value sidelined for injury. They may do that if you want to stash someone you want to keep, but never anyone you want to trade. Not to mention he cannot by contract be traded while injured. He can't even go for a physical elsewhere if this teams medical team here has not cleared him. 

The best potential for value is for him to return to this team and ball out like he did that first year. Don't let the sack numbers fool you. He ws seriously disruptive. That is why Mike Tomlin said he didn't want ot have to be that bad to get a guy like him. I know some would like to say he was not that great before injury but that's just not true. 

Also, no one, and I mean no one outside a few contrarians were even looking at Herbert or anyone else other than Chase Young in the draft once Burrow was off the board. Tua had injury problems, bad ones. They followed him but fair enough he is balling out now. But if he plays 17 games it will be the first time. Plan to not have him to finish the season. And Herbert was considered a big risk. High ceiling but low floor too. 

Its obviously been dissapointing that Chase has not been the player that pretty much ever person in the NFL thought he would be, but that is the draft. You never really know. He is a physical freak. Clearly since his injury he has not reached that potential. But the team needs to give him this year. If he balls out, sign him or tag him. If not, let him go and cut your losses. No need to move him now or even shop him. 

To someone raising the question do you need 2 dominant pass rushers, the answer is no, you need as many as you can possibly get. Look at the eagles. I hate them as a team, but they continuiosly load and reload on Dline. The result is they always have a dominat dline which keeps them in every game. 

Back to Chase, I am sure he is a frustrated as the fans he can't play. I seriously doubt he is loving being on the sideline. With Sweat finally reaching his potential and Allen and Payne solidified, adding a pre-injury Chase Young makes that dline the best in football and able to literally take over games. It would take a lot of pressure off our young QB, who I really like. 

The problem is that he wasn't exactly reaching his potential in 2021 before his injury, either. I'd be willing to say "Yeah... dude had a pretty traumatic knee injury and it'll take a while to get back to being himself," only he wasn't exactly scary in nine games pre-injury.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2