Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

The fact that most believe that the DL is fine without CY, and all the other starters were already here when he was drafted, just shows that they should have drafted a QB, and/or traded down etc 

It’s so easy to say this now, but at the time Chase was seen as a “can’t miss” prospect who the draft community and the majority of fans were unanimous in stating he should be the #2 overall pick. Heck, I recall hearing McShay on the Rich Eisen show (I believe 🤔) even saying Cincinnati has a decision to make as he was so good that he’s one of those rare talents that you take #1 overall, *ahead* of a QB. I watched as much Chase propaganda as possible going into that draft and some of the tape reviews like Brett Kollman (who provides good analysis to someone like me 😆) were practically gushing about him as a complete game-wrecker. 

I get that he hasn’t become the transcendent player we hoped for going into things, but some players work out, some don’t. There are multiple variables for that which applies to every team, with no guarantees and that draft is a perfect example of what I mean with “safe” but Uber talented guys like Okudah getting injured, just like Chase (albeit immediately) and never getting momentum before being traded for very little. Simmons was seen as a “unicorn” who never worked out due to seemingly not finding a position and again, traded for peanuts (and I hope doesn’t flourish in NY this season). Just outside the top 10 Mekhi Becton is seen to be in a make-or-break year not just to stay in NY but the league itself such are his self-discipline and work ethic issues apparently whilst Henry Ruggs killed a person and threw his life away.

Look, the reports about Chase are disappointing, I’ll agree. And if he fails to live up to his potential that’s unfortunate. But Andrew Thomas, who was another from that draft mentioned above labelled a bust after his rookie year but who has since become one of the better tackles in the league - the circumstances are different, of course (with durability being a big factor) - is an example that it does happen. Let’s just see how it plays out though with Chase and not rewrite history about what we should or shouldn’t have done, because it’s easy to do that when you have the kind of evidence that only becomes available as time passes and events unfold.  

• Like 5

A nuance that is missing here is the level of weed usage. As others have referenced, a lot of people use a modicum of weed for different purposes. I take an edible once a week to reset my sleep schedule and days before I need to wake up early because it is a better alternative than taking something like Zzzquill. Most of the time, the next day, while I may have some hangover symptoms, I am able to wake up early and, with some espresso, be very productive. 

On the other hand, you have the heavy users who are either taking up to medical grade doses in chunks or are using it throughout the day. I am now hearing from a couple plugged in folks (not just one) that, if there were a scale,  Chase is very likely closer to the latter vs the former.

• Like 1

The problem with "consensus on Chase' making him a safe smart no brainer pick for us is that the same census takers ignored the importance of a stud QB to a franchises success, and also ignores we haven't had a franchise QB in decades. If he was really that great on draft day teams should have been throwing Allen great offers to trade up to take him. Sure Allen may have slammed the door on those offers but he was an idiot voted worst GM.

• Like 1

Chase Young was the right pick at the time, you won't find 2 people on the entire internet that suggested Herbert at 2 before that draft.  If you have a guy with Young's potential you just have to pull the trigger.

I do believe he is a good guy, he is great with the fans. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting high sack totals to get a big contract. EVERY player in every sport wants to excel in stats that get paid. 

The weed talk is utter nonsense and a few posters here are showing their ignorance. We have no idea if Terry M smokes weed and it does not matter one bit, some of the best players in the game smoke weed and it does nothing to hinder their performance.  

I believe he has the drive and wants to be great. I may question his offseason methods but when he is on the field I see a guy who is trying very hard, a player who wants to win badly.

My issue with Chase Young is it should be obvious that no matter how hard he tries he just isn't the game wrecker we envisioned. It had nothing to do with his injury, again in the 8+ games before the injury he just could not get to the QB.

Although I have no issue with him getting his sack totals up to get paid I am a bit annoyed that he acts like he is another Derrick Thomas and he is not even close and will never be. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Chase Young was the right pick at the time, you won't find 2 people on the entire internet that suggested Herbert at 2 before that draft.  If you have a guy with Young's potential you just have to pull the trigger.

I do believe he is a good guy, he is great with the fans. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting high sack totals to get a big contract. EVERY player in every sport wants to excel in stats that get paid.  

I always liked Chase but didn't think it was the teams best interest to select him. I also did not love Hebert. I felt we has Sweat and a trade back with a plethora of picks was the best thing. We had so many needs that could have been addressed from OT in Andrews or my favorite Wirfs who to me was a no brainer day one starter, tons of needed DB's, LB's WR's and may Tua at QB...as a guy with a hip issue since my mid twenties, I didn't see him being able to get back to health. He has proven me wrong at least regarding the hip, although I figure it will come back to haunt him later.

I agree Chase seems like a decent guy and wants to do well and is more enthusiastic during games than anyone on the sidelines. It's infectious the way he acts when anything good is going on out there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

CBD is an excellent anti-inflammatory. Think concussions players keep on the DL no pun acronym intended.

I had to respond after I finished laughing at the last part... :rofl89:

No amount of anything is going to help concussions, which just breed more concussions. Might help the immediate inflammation, but the damage is already done and will only get worse. 

• Like 1

You'll find one person here clamoring on the internet for much of the past decade that we are NOT drafting QBs nearly often enough to develop one.  When we did finally address QB proper it was burning 6 picks in the same draft, and drafting 2?? Maybe it was 7. 

That all aside, average fans take the experts consensus and roll with it. TAKE CHASE and don't think twice about it. We'll get a QB next year...

Those same experts are wrong every year on multiple players / selections yet they always get a pass because it was "consensus". A census taker once tried to test me and he was wrong but no one discounted his opinion the next time around.

image.gif.6a96b793ed8a6293d28a8a4cdb3d032b.gif

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I had to respond after I finished laughing at the last part... :rofl89:

No amount of anything is going to help concussions, which just breed more concussions. Might help the immediate inflammation, but the damage is already done and will only get worse. 

I don't want to derail the thread but studies show CBD can help.  Seems like the study was stoners vs non stoner soccer players. TLDR: Our data show that chronic cannabis use may be associated with an enhancement of oculomotor functional resiliency and suppression of the neuroinflammatory response following soccer heading.

The problem is, athletes would need a CBD injection IMMEDIATELY to have a more significant effect. I had heard soccer athletes in Israel would get them on the field but cant find a confirming link. NFL would never let you see a syringe. Israel is often cutting edge in healthcare studies so maybe it's something brief they tested out.

I stand firm - ditching the hard shell helmet would ultimately decrease concussions IMO. Hard shells make players lead with their heads. Its as simple as that. Sure rugby and soccer players get concussions but a bigger helmeted head is more likely to get hit and jostled around. Its why boxing helmets went away. Fun fact. We are all born with helmets. It's called a cranium. I have lobbied for the return to leather helmets to stop cuts and provide basic protection.

The fact teams are using soft shells in camp is an admission of sorts that Riddell and all know hard shells are ultimately counter productive to player safety.  They are just afraid to rip the proverbial hard shell band-aid off and admit they were wrong. #Lawsuits

Back OT hopefully chase has a dominant year.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I stand firm - ditching the hard shell helmet would ultimately decrease concussions IMO. Hard shells make players lead with their heads.

People have made the same argument with hockey and I can see the merit to that (not to derail even further). Once they went to the hard shell pads, hit got progressively more vicious... as did the injuries. Players feel "I can hit as hard as I want and know that I'm safe," but it doesn't always work that way.

Even in the NFL, how many times have we seen a player not come up after delivering a nasty hit? More than a few. They make the hit because they thing their helmets make them invincible, but their brains are bouncing around like a toddler on Mountain Dew in a moon bounce.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Players rarely lead with their heads as they know it's an automatic penalty and possibly ejection.  

I agree lowered head shots happens less now but head shots are inevitable leading with the shoulder clean. The head is just right there and there is some contact. I wonder, have concussions dropped with strict enforcement? Countless concussions are never reported revealed etc so it would have to be high profile arms pointed to the sky horror events to compare year to year with any accuracy.

Defensive players gang tackle which I theorize still leads to a ton of head shots especially on DBs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

If he was really that great on draft day teams should have been throwing Allen great offers to trade up to take him. Sure Allen may have slammed the door on those offers but he was an idiot voted worst GM.

Rivera made that pick while this team had nobody at QB. Haskins already looked like bust material at the time. Some wrongly thought he could still be fixed but he was not looking anything remotely like a franchise QB. Rivera chose to listen to Doofus Dan, IMO. 

But yeah, considering what everybody was saying about CY, the Redskins should have been able to get an extra first or second to trade down a few spots and still get one of the other 2 QB's. 

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Like 2

What's funny is you have people who think they're hip and in the know because they smoke weed, you have codgers thinking any use of marijuana means you "like to get wet" on a consistent basis and somehow we're not going to talk about drinking alcohol.

Many, many guys, probably most in the NFL can and sometimes do drink alcohol. The use of it, the volume, the frequency, the associated habits, the underlying mental illnesses that may be calmed or exacerbated by it, etc. that's what's important. Same with some of the big guys and eating.  

Hell, this very franchise had a player, Laron Landry, that abused (put aside substances used to mold the physique) weight training, something that we'd normally laud from a committed player.  

So please, stop with the "i'm the cool 44 year old pothead" vs the "if it's not alcohol or tabacky, it's totally wacky" false dichotomies and use your ****ing brains.

• Like 4

On 8/25/2023 at 2:16 PM, Koolblue13 said:

It's not Mexican red hair and thai stick anymore. Weed helps a lot of people performance and pain management. 

Weed technology has exploded as much as any tech out there. And it's 100% natural. And legal almost everywhere to boot.

The image of a "stoner" being your lazy long haired uncle living in the basement listening to the turn table is about as relevant as people with tattoos are violent criminals.

I do not smoke any more. Makes me paranoid and gives me anxiety, but it helps a ton of people and being a smoker has zero bearing on a persons character. 

If you tried Indica only, you wouldn't have the anxiety issues or paranoia. Very mellow, tones everything down at night. I disagree with your statement about lazy stoned uncle. That's exactly what it still does, only now with a higher percentage of THC. Weed, pills, alcohol all have a negative effect on performance. Most NFL players are paid high dollar to be in peak shape so they can be at their best. The pain thing is true.....but he is a millionaire and has all kind of assistance on the best way to heal. Smoking weed ain't it. On to my 3 hitter.....Indica blueberry kush 19%. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of said:

So please, stop with the "i'm the cool 44 year old pothead" vs the "if it's not alcohol or tabacky, it's totally wacky" false dichotomies and use your ****ing brains.

But I *am* the cool 44 year old pothead!  (Ok, ok, 55....  But at least I still remember the last time the [insert mascot, no the one before that] won a Super Bowl.  There's nothing better than hacking up a lung full of 32% sativa watching a short, slow linebacker named Kurt nearly take it to the house to start the 3rd quarter.  Those were the days.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

If you tried Indica only, you wouldn't have the anxiety issues

I ****ing hate when weed heads do this. 

No, I'll still have anxiety and I know all about the different types of weed.

There is no type/strand/whatever that will not give me anxiety. It makes me feel bad. Every time.

It was my drug of choice for over 35 years, now it isn't. 

It works great for some people and I'm happy for them and I have no issue with people using it, it's just not my drug of choice anymore.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I ****ing hate when weed heads do this. 

No, I'll still have anxiety and I know all about the different types of weed.

There is no type/strand/whatever that will not give me anxiety. It makes me feel bad. Every time.

It was my drug of choice for over 35 years, now it isn't. 

It works great for some people and I'm happy for them and I have no issue with people using it, it's just not my drug of choice anymore.

Not a weed head, only use it when my body hurts. Ease your rudder.

Edit: My bad, I morphed this into a tailgate thread.. back in topic. I hope Chase balls out this year.

Edited by tmandoug1
  • Thumb up 1

On 8/28/2023 at 12:55 PM, Ghost of said:

What's funny is you have people who think they're hip and in the know because they smoke weed, you have codgers thinking any use of marijuana means you "like to get wet" on a consistent basis and somehow we're not going to talk about drinking alcohol.

Many, many guys, probably most in the NFL can and sometimes do drink alcohol. The use of it, the volume, the frequency, the associated habits, the underlying mental illnesses that may be calmed or exacerbated by it, etc. that's what's important. Same with some of the big guys and eating.  

Hell, this very franchise had a player, Laron Landry, that abused (put aside substances used to mold the physique) weight training, something that we'd normally laud from a committed player.  

image.png.7d8a6f2b1743006f0f3c039e9b8a555a.png

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

One more thought on ditching the hard shell Riddell helmets

Ditch the ****ing hard shell pads not just the helmet but head to toe. Go back to soft shell everything. Why do players need to wear so much hard plastic? They are not blocking a hockey puck with their shins at 160kmph. I hate anything ****ing plastic.

If JDR does not unleash the Chase beast vs Arizona I kinda hope he freelances to get us sacks vs rushing in lanes engaging blockers deliberately before he Usain Bolts town.

Edited by RandyHolt

40 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

One more thought on ditching the hard shell Riddell helmets

Ditch the ****ing hard shell pads not just the helmet but head to toe. Go back to soft shell everything. Why do players need to wear so much hard plastic? They are not blocking a hockey puck with their shins at 160kmph. I hate anything ****ing plastic.

If JDR does not unleash the Chase beast vs Arizona I kinda hope he freelances to get us sacks vs rushing in lanes engaging blockers deliberately before he Usain Bolts town.

yeah if there’s anything I want to see to prove to me Chase Young is growing into a franchise player, it’s him continuing to freelance for glory 🙄 

• Haha 2