Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get it you really really really don't like PFF.  You got the wrong coach though for that theme -- Ron loves quoting PFF when it serves him.   Every NFL team subscribes to it and uses it to some extent -- so its not exactly a clown show outfit.   As I like to say on the draft thread, its a good tool, but you got to factor context.  So its a tool not the be all and end all.

It’s a toll used when one wants to support their opinion, much like Ron lol

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

For exactly one more season if he works out.  Because if he's a legitimate starter after next year, he won't play on his 4th year, just like Hurts wasn't going to, Terry wasn't going to, etc.  

The money doesn’t change for that player when they decide to sign the extension. Sure, they want to lock in guaranteed dollars, but they’re going to still make a small amount in the final season of their rookie deal. 

They have this year and next year with the cheap QB, assuming Howell works out.  That's it.  

4 seasons of cheap QB play. I agree they’ll most likely want to extend him after year 3 if he performs well, but once again, the extension will add on to the rookie deal. 

I don't want them to pay all 4 DL big money.  I'm really hoping Young returns to form, and if so, they should extend him and franchise Sweat.  Then they can either have one more year of the same DL, or they trade Sweat.  If he leaves after 6 years of being a good player for a comp pick, I'm ok with that.  I'd prefer to have the last year of the players together than a draft pick which might/might not work out. 

I like this plan and 100% with you on it being okay to let a guy go without great compensation. 

But I'm odd in that I don't worship draft picks like others do.  I think they're important.  But I see them as assets that have at best a 50/50 chance of hitting.  So, in a lot of cases, I prefer the bird in hand vs. 2 in the bush. 

Yes, eating up 5-7 years of someone’s prime years is great value. 

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The money doesn’t change for that player when they decide to sign the extension. Sure, they want to lock in guaranteed dollars, but they’re going to still make a small amount in the final season of their rookie deal. 

That's actually not exactly true, because they get the signing bonus and other roster bonuses to significantly increase the cash of year 1.  And the pro-rated part of the bonus hits the cap in year 1. 

Take McLaurin for example.  There's literally no way he would have played on a 3rd round contract in his final year.  His 2022 cap hit was $7.3M because of the $5.8M signing bonus and $425k roster bonus. I think the 3rd round non-extension cap hit was under $2m.  

There are ways to lower the cap hit in year 1 of an extension by throwing things into out years.  The Eagles threw $80m of cap hits into 4 voided years starting in 2029, so if Hurts plays out his contract (he won't) and leaves as an UFA (he won't), they would have cap hits of $34m, $26m, $16m and $8m for the years after he leaves the team.  Which is bananas.  

With Howell, after year 3, if he performs, they'll have to extend him.  He wouldn't play on the 5th round deal when he's available for the extension.  And will year 4 be MASSIVELY higher for the cap?  Probably not.  But then the new FO (assuming there is a new FO, and I assume there will be) will have to decide how aggressive they want to be in terms of spreading cap hits into voided years.  If they don't want to do a lot of that, then the cap hit in the first year of the extension would most likely be in the $10-$20m range.  If they want to be very aggressive about using void years, they can keep it lower, but they have to pay that piper at some point.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wonder what the Madden Rating for someone like Chase Young is.  Do they have a rating for most impressive workout videos uploaded to Instagram?  He's a 99 there for sure.

You’re dying to see another workout video that has continued to cycle around these parts from a year or so ago. 

Me too!  😜

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Feels like RG3 all over again with these hype videos :ols: 

*Angry Upvote...

Seriously, just stfu and win some football games...I'm so tired of hearing what folks gonna do when we losin...

20 sacks...😒

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2023 at 3:23 PM, Conn said:

lmao

Devil's advocate:

He's not doing this against a living person.  Being a workout warrior is entirely different than being a good football player.  Young was posting the same types of videos going into his second year.   And he sucked his second year.  

I'm glad he's moving really well, etc., because that's the foundation for sure.  No doubt.  But how is his judgment of when to use moves, his execution of said moves and his repertoire of moves?  If that area isn't lightyears better than his second year as a pro, he's gonna wash out of Washington.  

Howell and Chase are definitely the two players more than any other that I'm eager to watch this year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's gonna put up 15+ sacks this year and end up walking in Free Agency.

Doubt it, but if he has that sort of season he’s getting tagged at the least. He won’t be walking for a 3rd if he produces like that, unless he gets hurt again at the end of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Doubt it, but if he has that sort of season he’s getting tagged at the least. He won’t be walking for a 3rd if he produces like that, unless he gets hurt again at the end of it. 

Which means Sweat walks. And/or Curl.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Which means Sweat walks. And/or Curl.

Cost of doing business when you spend so many 1’s on the same position group, we’ve always known that even in our wildest dreams it would be tough to justify paying them all (though, if they’re worth it, we could technically do it—whether it’s a good idea or not is a separate issue). Curl may be let go given how we’ve spent our draft resources, but that’ll probably be up to the next GM. 

Just doesn’t seem worth stressing about to me until we see the production these guys have and their relative health next winter. This was always going to be a roster construction pinch point for us after those picks were used. This is an error from 3-5 years ago that was planted then and is inevitably blooming now. Nothing the current (or future, probably) FO can do but roll with the punches and make the best decisions they can, when they can. They’ll use all the tools at their disposal to figure the situation out—tags, trades, cap space, etc. All that remains to be seen is how this season goes for those players, and what group ends up actually making those decisions. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Sweat shouldn't be too expensive and Chase can play on the tag. 

Curl if he stays healthy is great and the QB of our defense, but DeFo, Butler and now Quan are all back there too.

Even still, we should have money considering we're on a rookie QB deal. 

We're also not about to be run by buffoons who don't understand roster construction and the salary cap.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Keim from TC today

Talked about how the ball doesnt hit the ground nearly as much as last year in TC. QB's appear much more accurate. Howell was relaying in calls to other QBs to get more practice in communicating plays. 

Howell appears to have special arm talent. Was using hard count to get the D to tip their hands. Mentioned that even on incompletes, tight coverage, Howell putting it where only the receiver would have a chance to get it.

Pringle nice job returning kicks, Gibson looks good also.

Kicker battle, seems even but he gives the nod to Sly, other guy (Bigsley sp?) has issues with kickoffs.

St. Juste looks good, also mentions Forbes and Curl.

Hodges has good athleticism, possibly good in space blocking.

Plenty more, just dont have time to watch everything yet. approx 38 min from keim. Worth a watch if you have time, found it on youtube.

Just realized...wrong thread. Ill repost in TC thread.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

One of the more overrated players in recent memory. Even when we secured the #2 pick that draft year, you looked at his college stats and saw dominant numbers. But when you watch actual gameplay you didn't see a dominant player. I remember feeling very underwhelmed watching his college tape.

Reminded me of the plays he made his rookie year. Some good hustle plays and coverage sacks. And only changed games against teams with bad QBs that held the ball way too long and/or didn't even belong on the field.

I was expecting a Von Miller type disrupter from the #2 overall pick. Making life hell on QBs. Pressures, sacks, forced fumbles etc...

image.gif.1b357b53dc1f25cfd739f0e9334e05d2.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

5 hours ago, Conn said:

Cost of doing business when you spend so many 1’s on the same position group, we’ve always known that even in our wildest dreams it would be tough to justify paying them all (though, if they’re worth it, we could technically do it—whether it’s a good idea or not is a separate issue). Curl may be let go given how we’ve spent our draft resources, but that’ll probably be up to the next GM. 

Just doesn’t seem worth stressing about to me until we see the production these guys have and their relative health next winter. This was always going to be a roster construction pinch point for us after those picks were used. This is an error from 3-5 years ago that was planted then and is inevitably blooming now. Nothing the current (or future, probably) FO can do but roll with the punches and make the best decisions they can, when they can. They’ll use all the tools at their disposal to figure the situation out—tags, trades, cap space, etc. All that remains to be seen is how this season goes for those players, and what group ends up actually making those decisions. 

yeah, we have over 64 million in cap space before any cap rollover and I can't see us paying Leno $11 million, and Thomas is set to make $5.6