Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Didn't Daron work out with Vonn last year?

yup

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/09/30/daron-payne-commanders/

In June, Payne attended the Von Miller Pass Rush Summit, an invite-only gathering of the game’s top pass rushers. For one weekend in Las Vegas, he was surrounded by some 20 defensive players for on-field coaching and a classroom session to review film.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The NFL voluntary camps is one of the strangest things in all of sports. 

I've always wondered how much cheating goes on when it comes to players and how much contact they're supposed to have with coaches during the offseason. 

I know there are rules against how much direct work coaches can have with there players each offseason but if a young guy is in the building working out and wants to learn I find it hard to believe the coaches tell him he has to wait until mini camp or training camp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I've always wondered how much cheating goes on when it comes to players and how much contact they're supposed to have with coaches during the offseason. 

I know there are rules against how much direct work coaches can have with there players each offseason but if a young guy is in the building working out and wants to learn I find it hard to believe the coaches tell him he has to wait until mini camp or training camp.

But when some of the relationship inevitably sour, it’s a mess the organization and coach don’t want to have. I’m sure some cheating goes on and I don’t think they will hammer on 1 on 1 chats but anything group related with multiple players is probably the line.

Modern NFL players seem like they are more about a brotherhood of players vs management than they are about team advantage over other teams. I don’t think teams can openly break many rules as it relates to the CBA without it getting out. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The NFL voluntary camps is one of the strangest things in all of sports. 

Agreed. Very much screams of the NFLPA having something lame to bring back to the players during the last CBA talks to be able to say “see, we fought and got you something” when in reality they may as well be mandatory for 85%+ of players anyways. 

40 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

But when some of the relationship inevitably sour, it’s a mess the organization and coach don’t want to have. I’m sure some cheating goes on and I don’t think they will hammer on 1 on 1 chats but anything group related with multiple players is probably the line.

Modern NFL players seem like they are more about a brotherhood of players vs management than they are about team advantage over other teams. I don’t think teams can openly break many rules as it relates to the CBA without it getting out. 

I agree but it's the one on one I question. 

If a young quarterback comes in with an excellent work ethic and an unquestionable desire to be the best I find it hard to believe he's not hitting the coaches up everyday all offseason whether it be in the facility or by phone with questions about the offense.

You can't require him to be there everyday or call you but if he's willing I have a feeling most teams are also willing to look the other way on the rules.

Total speculation on my part I have no proof just a hunch but I think guys like Brock Purdy who have unexplained early success is because they're getting a lot more one on one attention than they're supposed to be.

23 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Odds on Chase getting a suspension before he gets a sack ?

Based on what exactly?

There is a lot of made up straight up gargage being spewn about Young around these parts.

He's been inconsistent at best and a disappointment for sure. I don't disagree with that. But some people think he's some drugged up felon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Odds on Chase getting a suspension before he gets a sack ?

One in a thousand? The one suspension in his lifetime that I've seen was for a loan while attending Ohio State in 2019. For Chase to get suspended for trying to steal other players' lunch money at the cafeteria, he'd have to be at the team facilities in the first place.

6 hours ago, Conn said:

Agreed. Very much screams of the NFLPA having something lame to bring back to the players during the last CBA talks to be able to say “see, we fought and got you something” when in reality they may as well be mandatory for 85%+ of players anyways. 

they predate the last collective bargaining deal by quite a bit

As long as he wrecks havoc plays his ass off and makes plays that’s all I care about! Voluntary work outs and what he looks like I don’t care. First few games in a season and he’s a no-show well the rest we know.He knows what’s at stake let’s see if he’s up to it.

He comes in playing strong looking good and having a decent season than good. That's what is expected. 

He comes in with a huge season, great and he will make a boatload of cash.

Anything less than a really good season and his decision to avoid voluntary workouts will always be held against him.

• Like 1

Skipping OTAs is part of the contract wrangling process between star player and team.  It's one of the few ways players can try to gain some leverage in the negotiations, and Ron 100% understands what's going on and why.  They knew Chase and Montez were going to skip OTAs.  Terry did it last year, and Daron showed up but didn't participate.

These camps aren't risk free for the players either.  Look at what happened to Armani Rogers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Skipping OTAs is part of the contract wrangling process between star player and team.  It's one of the few ways players can try to gain some leverage in the negotiations, and Ron 100% understands what's going on and why.  They knew Chase and Montez were going to skip OTAs.  Terry did it last year, and Daron showed up but didn't participate.

These camps aren't risk free for the players either.  Look at what happened to Armani Rogers.

It would have helped Chase's case if he actually had some leverage. He didn't. He wasn't playing well at all even prior to his injury, then factor in an injury, missed time... I never buy the thing about getting injured at voluntary workouts. **** happens. You can roll an ankle missing a step in your house or hurt yourself, apparently, slipping in your kitchen getting a pizza.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, ntotoro said:

It would have helped Chase's case if he actually had some leverage. He didn't. He wasn't playing well at all even prior to his injury, then factor in an injury, missed time... I never buy the thing about getting injured at voluntary workouts. **** happens. You can roll an ankle missing a step in your house or hurt yourself, apparently, slipping in your kitchen getting a pizza.

It doesn't matter if you believe players getting injured in OTAs should be a factor in contract negotiations.  They do get injured at OTAs some times, and it is a factor in the negotiations.  Do you think this team is about to give Armani Rogers a new contract this summer?  Put yourself in these players' situation and think of what a disaster it would be if they got injured doing something they didn't have to do in the midst of a negotiation for generational wealth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It doesn't matter if you believe players getting injured in OTAs should be a factor in contract negotiations.  They do get injured at OTAs some times, and it is a factor in the negotiations.  Do you think this team is about to give Armani Rogers a new contract this summer?  Put yourself in these players' situation and think of what a disaster it would be if they got injured doing something they didn't have to do in the midst of a negotiation for generational wealth.

Armani Rogers' career to this point has had zero affect on the team in any way, shape or form other than taking a roster spot. If you're going to use that, then why does anyone show up at all? Everyone showed except a couple guys. Chase, in particular, has already made more than the average person will see in a lifetime. What would have happened if he got hurt at Von Miller's Rock & Roll Fantasy Camp, or whatever it was? Does the team get to sue him since he's under contract and it wasn't an approved activity?

Just now, ntotoro said:

Armani Rogers' career to this point has had zero affect on the team in any way, shape or form other than taking a roster spot. If you're going to use that, then why does anyone show up at all? Everyone showed except a couple guys. Chase, in particular, has already made more than the average person will see in a lifetime. What would have happened if he got hurt at Von Miller's Rock & Roll Fantasy Camp, or whatever it was? Does the team get to sue him since he's under contract and it wasn't an approved activity?

Most of the team isn't in the process of a major contract negotiation.  Usually the only guys who skip OTAs are the ones who are good enough to have a secure roster spot without going, i.e. the guys who are negotiating big deals.  For those guys, skipping OTAs is not only about avoiding injury, but it's about sending a message to the team.

This is not even a particularly contentious part of the negotiation process, fans are usually the only ones making a big deal about star players who miss OTAs.  I don't understand why they care and get so mad about this stuff.

Were you asking a serious question with that last sentence or just spit balling hypotheticals to criticize Chase?  The answer would be no, the team would not have grounds to sue Chase for getting injured during off-season training.  Do you really think there is anything in his contract prohibiting him from working out away from the team?

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Most of the team isn't in the process of a major contract negotiation.  Usually the only guys who skip OTAs are the ones who are good enough to have a secure roster spot without going, i.e. the guys who are negotiating big deals.  For those guys, skipping OTAs is not only about avoiding injury, but it's about sending a message to the team.

This is not even a particularly contentious part of the negotiation process, fans are usually the only ones making a big deal about star players who miss OTAs.  I don't understand why they care and get so mad about this stuff.

Were you asking a serious question with that last sentence or just spit balling hypotheticals to criticize Chase?  The answer would be no, the team would not have grounds to sue Chase for getting injured during off-season training.  Do you really think there is anything in his contract prohibiting him from working out away from the team?

It was rhetorical. He stood just as much a chance getting hurt in his workouts as an voluntary sessions. That's why the whole "A guy could get hurt" thing never really sat well with me since you can get hurt in your own home or just walking down the street.

Chase isn't really going through negotiations right now. Neither is Montez, although I expect he would actually be the priority. I just expect more from a guy who was told "Yeah, we're not taking your 5th year option up," especially if he wants to actually have negotiations.

When you see your true team leaders showing up at voluntary sessions, yet one who wants to be seen as one doesn't, it really isn't a good look. Instead, he's off working out elsewhere, not even working against other players, but still has just as much a chance for injury.

• Like 2