Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Let's see how he is playing at trade deadline. Then see what his value is. 

If his value is high at the deadline we're not gonna wanna trade him and it probably means he's balling out, our defense is in the top 5, and we're winning games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If his value is high at the deadline we're not gonna wanna trade him and it probably means he's balling out, our defense is in the top 5, and we're winning games.

And because we didn’t take the option, and have to tag him, he will probably see his ass and want out anyway. 

Do you think he will follow the same path as Daron Payne? I say 100% no. 

Trade him this Summer would be my move.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

None of us have the information that the front office have so it seems prudent to let them do the judging here, we really don't know beyond him being a little full of himself on socials 

41 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

None of us have the information that the front office have so it seems prudent to let them do the judging here, we really don't know beyond him being a little full of himself on socials 

Agree, I think the judgement of this FO is very obvious, personally.

Another FO/Ownership may take a different approach.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

And because we didn’t take the option, and have to tag him, he will probably see his ass and want out anyway. 

Everyone thought we'd have to trade Payne too. We don't know what goes on in these guys minds. 

Trading him before the season even starts is just braindead. We'd get next to nothing for him. Its just horrendous usage of assets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Trading him before the season even starts is just braindead. We'd get next to nothing for him. Its just horrendous usage of assets.

You keep saying this, but what do you realistically think will happen at the end of this season? Is your position based on evidence, or myth ? One of Sweat or Chase has to go, that seems obvious. Maybe both. 

If he flunks or gets injured, game over. If he balls out, yeah he’s not getting paid here is her?? Or do you think he’s getting a massive deal from us ? He maybe is pissed by this offseason so do you see him signing a tag ? 

Edited by Est.1974

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

You keep saying this, but what do you realistically think will happen at the end of this season? Is your position based on evidence, or myth ? One of Sweat or Chase has to go, that seems obvious. Maybe both. 

If he flunks or gets injured, game over. If he balls out, yeah he’s not getting paid here is her?? Or do you think he’s getting a massive deal from us ? He maybe is pissed by this offseason so do you see him signing a tag ? 

the upside, with the likely trade package we'd be offered right now, is not that different from getting nothing if he flops this year, imo. you'd be losing out more if he explodes this year and we traded him for a measly 4th.

Edited by xxprodigyxx
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

The reason they didn’t exercise the option on his rookie contract is because if he balls out, the Franchise Tag is not much more—but the option carried immense risk if he were to get injured again. So I don’t think that part of the equation matters at all personally 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Conn said:

The reason they didn’t exercise the option on his rookie contract is because if he balls out, the Franchise Tag is not much more—but the option carried immense risk if he were to get injured again. So I don’t think that part of the equation matters at all personally 

Agreed on the injury risk, it was the main reason I was against them taking the option.

I personally don’t see him signing a tag if he balls out.

6 hours ago, xxprodigyxx said:

the upside, with the likely trade package we'd be offered right now, is not that different from getting nothing if he flops this year, imo. you'd be losing out more if he explodes this year and we traded him for a measly 4th.

Measly 4th ?? Don’t say that in the draft thread :)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I personally don’t see him signing a tag if he balls out.

He doesn’t have that option if he wants to earn money playing NFL football. At that point he couldn’t even be traded without signing the tag first, it’s his only move in that situation. 

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Everyone thought we'd have to trade Payne too. We don't know what goes on in these guys minds. 

I agree that currently he has very limited trade value

If he was to prove he is healthy and playing great....that's when his value is high.

This team playing 500 ball or below and a contender needing an edge gives him peak value

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

For those forgetting what Chase is capable of. May not see this Chase again but like to see him get a chance. Looks like you have to go to YouTube to watch it. 

Really more of a Sweat highlight real  :ols:  We gotta stop sleeping on how good that guy is. He's the kind of player that if he puts it together as far as finishing sacks, he starts looking like Myles Garrett light.

That last play on 4rth and 1 to goal was insane though. Chase flew in the air and pulled a guy backwards. That's unnatural. :ols:

That set of downs might be my favorite over the last few years. Going Jumbo on Jumbo for 6 straight plays against the Steelers and winning.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 4:56 PM, Est.1974 said:

Professional football is still a business.  Chase has no legitimate reason to be upset, except with himself for how lousy he was playing before getting hurt.  In fact, he was a nonfactor and looking like a bust before he got hurt.  They would get virtually nothing for him if they traded him now.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

On 6/16/2023 at 4:20 PM, Warhead36 said:

Many but not everyone.  People's opinions evolved once it became clear the two best players on the dline were Payne and Allen and it wasn't even close. 

There's very little disillusionment left with what Young could do because of what Allen and Payne have already done, so this is a very different situation, imo.

On 6/16/2023 at 4:20 PM, Warhead36 said:

We won't get close to return on value for him with respect to what we spent to get him.  What are folks even hoping for in regards to when to trade him?  Are we being realistic here, or jus making sure we don't get nothing if he leaves?

I'd vehemently disagree with resigning him no matter what he does now because we need to think about money to save for resigning our starting safeties and God knows how much money Howell could get out of us if he actually works out. 

QB contracts are so out control now we have to be honest with ourselves that the second Payne got that LTS, Chase was leaving no matter what. 

I still think it's insane to pay top-dollar to 4 DL players.  Not because each one isn't worth it, but because it's a complete over-allocation of resources to a position group that doesn't demand it.

They can do it for 2 more years: After this year, they can pay one guy and franchise the other (Sweat and Young), and then you've got to get rid of one of them.  You aren't trading Allen and you just paid Payne.  So one of the other two has to go.  I'd prefer Young work out and be a beast, because he has (had?) higher upside.  But they're going to have to pick.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I still think it's insane to pay top-dollar to 4 DL players.  Not because each one isn't worth it, but because it's a complete over-allocation of resources to a position group that doesn't demand it.

They can do it for 2 more years: After this year, they can pay one guy and franchise the other (Sweat and Young), and then you've got to get rid of one of them.  You aren't trading Allen and you just paid Payne.  So one of the other two has to go.  I'd prefer Young work out and be a beast, because he has (had?) higher upside.  But they're going to have to pick.  

Hopefully they will have a quality GM in place with a plan before that decision has to be made.  

46 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Hopefully they will have a quality GM in place with a plan before that decision has to be made.  

We'll see.  I hope so too.  The timeline is odd, though.  They could extend Sweat this off-season.  The Harris Group would almost certainly have to sign-off on that.  But it's unlikely there will be a different power structure this year.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:41 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Can’t think of any teams that have paid 4 on Oline or Dline (Anyone think of any?), but many have paid 3 big money, so it’s not too crazy to ride with 4.

Washington has free money to work with if Howell is competent and the young and cheap secondary balls out this year. 

If the unit went nuts this year and the defense was elite, it wouldn’t be a hard sell for me to pay them. Let them be the face of the franchise for a few seasons like the old Steeler and Viking defenses. 

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

Can’t think of any teams that have paid 4 on Oline or Dline (Anyone think of any?), but many have paid 3 big money, so it’s not too crazy to ride with 4.

Washington has free money to work with if Howell is competent and the young and cheap secondary balls out this year. 

If the unit went nuts this year and the defense was elite, it wouldn’t be a hard sell for me to pay them. Let them be the face of the franchise for a few seasons like the old Steeler and Viking defenses. 

I get the vibe listening to Keim on this that they go back and forth on the idea.  I've heard him say they could do it, and also they might not.  Rare to hear him back and forth on an issue so I assume they are back and forth on it.

One thing I believe he or another beat guy mentioned is they can stagger the contracts where their out is Jonathan Allen when his contract expires. 

The vibe I get is they want Sweat back.  They aren't sure about Chase.  And I've heard multiple reporters now vaguely reference off the field stuff with Chase.  It's not just Chris Russell. 

I know some of the cap guys especially PFF thinks they'd be stupid to do 4.    I am not a cap guy so I got no clue personally.

I like Chase's chances to rebound this year so am betting that they will have the dilemma.  As for Chase, I get the vibe that he and Ron don't love each other.  Among other things, Ron has been somewhat passive aggressive with Chase for years now as to comments to the media.   I heard though that Chase and Del Rio get along good. 

I suspect it won't be Ron making the choice about Chase and Sweat next year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

For exactly one more season if he works out.  Because if he's a legitimate starter after next year, he won't play on his 4th year, just like Hurts wasn't going to, Terry wasn't going to, etc.  

They have this year and next year with the cheap QB, assuming Howell works out.  That's it.  

I don't want them to pay all 4 DL big money.  I'm really hoping Young returns to form, and if so, they should extend him and franchise Sweat.  Then they can either have one more year of the same DL, or they trade Sweat.  If he leaves after 6 years of being a good player for a comp pick, I'm ok with that.  I'd prefer to have the last year of the players together than a draft pick which might/might not work out. 

But I'm odd in that I don't worship draft picks like others do.  I think they're important.  But I see them as assets that have at best a 50/50 chance of hitting.  So, in a lot of cases, I prefer the bird in hand vs. 2 in the bush. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some of the cap guys especially PFF thinks they'd be stupid to do 4. 

In this case I agree. 

But PFF's opinion is as irrelevant as that of their Dear Leader Chris "I know nothing but talk a lot and people think I know things" Collinsworth.  

41 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In this case I agree. 

But PFF's opinion is as irrelevant as that of their Dear Leader Chris "I know nothing but talk a lot and people think I know things" Collinsworth.  

I get it you really really really don't like PFF.  You got the wrong coach though for that theme -- Ron loves quoting PFF when it serves him.   Every NFL team subscribes to it and uses it to some extent -- so its not exactly a clown show outfit.   As I like to say on the draft thread, its a good tool, but you got to factor context.  So its a tool not the be all and end all.

Edited by Skinsinparadise