Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Chase Young , "a physical freak, a one-man wrecking crew". Jamin Davis "athleticf freak". "Cosmi was a physical freak for the position coming out of Texas"

Sadly so far all those freaks don't live up to their expectations. It reminds me an old Pirelli commercial : Power is nothing without control.

I'm skeptic but I hope they wil turn things around.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

The 5th year option for him was $17.4 million. The franchise tag for DE is $19.7M. It’s the smart business move plus it should light a fire under him. It will also be a new owner and likely new GM so any hard feelings should dissipate in a year. 

The new owner, Gm and coach may decide to let him walk.

7 minutes ago, ultravin said:

just trade him to seattle for #20 and #52 pick.  

His Ohio State teammate who was picked 3rd overall right after Chase was traded for a 5th. Chase has little to no trade value at the moment. 

He showed up to OTAs already and is not creating any waves. You have to let him play and hopefully pull a Daron Payne,

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The new owner, Gm and coach may decide to let him walk.

Correct that’s why it’s the smart move. I was talking about best case scenario. Worst case, you dodge a bullet and save 17.4M in cap. Plus if Sweat plays lights out you tag him instead. No real value in exercising the option. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ultravin said:

just trade him to seattle for #20 and #52 pick.  

Seattle wouldn't even offer #52 for Young straight up at this point. They'd laugh at that offer.

Young has no trade value. Until next year when he'll be coming off a 15 sack season and will be a FA going into age 25.

We effed this up.

• Thumb down 1

25 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I said it before, he's gonna end up a bust. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Seattle wouldn't even offer #52 for Young straight up at this point. They'd laugh at that offer.

Young has no trade value. Until next year when he'll be coming off a 15 sack season and will be a FA going into age 25.

We effed this up.

What did we eff up ?

He got injured. No FO in their right mind would take out the 5th year option now. It would FULLY guarantee on injury. 

Just the way it’s played out. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We effed this up.

He will be franchise tagged and cost only $2.3 mil more for 2024 than the 5th year option  if he puts up 15 sacks and we can’t sign a long term deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

He will be franchise tagged and cost only $2.3 mil more for 2024 than the 5th year option  if he puts up 15 sacks and we can’t sign a long term deal. 

Then we can't tag Sweat and he'll be gone.

But its ok because we'll draft a DE this year, essentially just patching holes instead of building up our roster.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But its ok because we'll draft a DE this year, essentially just patching holes instead of building up our roster.

I think Sweat gets a new deal before September 2023.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

If they want to invest in both this move doesn’t preclude it. You sign one and franchise the other. That is predicated on Howell playing well enough to not require a high priced veteran qb but we can’t rationally pay 4 d lineman over 20 mil per year average. Plus any DE we draft is only going to be single teamed for the most part so production shouldn’t be an issue. 

I don’t understand why you think it’s smarter to lock in $17.4 now instead of worst case scenario if he balls out $19.7 on the franchise tag. What if he blows a knee again? That $17.4 is a substantial. Downside risk is only 2.3 mil and it forces a long term deal a year earlier which will make up that 2.3 gap if he plays really well.

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I agree.

What did we eff up ?

He got injured. No FO in their right mind would take out the 5th year option now. It would FULLY guarantee on injury. 

Just the way it’s played out. 

He got a little lazy after his rookie year, thought he didn't need to show and his pre-injury second season displayed that. This year will be a pretty defining one for his career. 

• Like 3

Applaud Ron and the FO on this.

Chase is just a guy now.  If he didn't have those extensions, you wouldn't even notice him on the field. 

Even in his best moments as a rookie, he never performed like a Bosa or Garrett.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

We effed this up.

You cant really think he is going to have a 15 sack season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

He is going to have to have a hell of a season to get the tag IMO. He has been outplayed by much cheaper options on the team. Toohill has really flashed at times. Young has not. At all.

15 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Any shot Kc give up 31 for Young

None. What has he shown that would be worth anywhere close to a first round pick?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He has been outplayed by much cheaper options on the team. Toohill has really flashed at times.

That's what sealed it for me.  Toohill looked better -- Toohill!  Young has no moves and has lost what bend he has.  But hey, he got to be on Family Feud. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad they didn't pick up the option.

Chase Young, for his sake, needs to have a monster season no matter what.  The team is simply gambling on the side that he probably won't.  And if he does, maybe they'll have enough money to pay him.

I'd be surprised if he got more than 7 sacks or so.  I don't want to hear any ****ing about how he's good in the run game, you don't draft a guy that high to be a run stopper.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If he puts up these numbers we're gonna be a very, very good team and he'll get the franchise tag next year. Sweat would get to test the market unless we re-up him very soon?

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Any shot Kc give up 31 for Young

KC usually underpays for guys that they fix and make good (see Kadarius Toney). I can't see them trading a 1st for Young, not with him being a free agent next year. 

I'm ****ing ecstatic with this news tbh. Hope he has a good season for the team's sake, but has never done what I thought he would when we drafted him. Yes, injuries, but even before them was not the beast I was expecting.

Not gonna lose any sleep over this.

• Like 1