Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I pity the fool that thinks Chase doesn't have the footwork after seeing that video. Lets work on those hands maybe we can get Jumpy or whoever it was that used to club OL upside the head left and right to add a new move to his bag of tricks.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Good to see him working hard at it ! What a force he could be on this defense.  Hopefully, all these young guys and the exit of the Snyder S Show ushers in a new chapter in Washington football history.  

One where the news about this team is filled with this sort of information and not the constant barrage of tabloid crap we have been subjected to for the last 20+ years.  

Maybe I'm a fool for thinking there is real hope around the team and players like Chase for a change. 

That video was from 2 or 3 years ago. I'm not sure if he looks that good currently and post injury.

• Thanks 2

More to the point, that Chase Young agility drill video posted is from 2020, and showed what a pre-injury Chase Young could do.   It's no guarantee of Young's current levels of quickness, strength and agility-- especially with those lateral drills or how strongly he can push off making those lateral moves.

I don't recall any videos that Young's made recently, that showed him doing drills similar to those in the 2020 video.  If they're out there, they would show better on what fans might expect from Chase in the upcoming season. 

Right now,  all we have to gauge Young's current level of play, are replays of when he was on the field for a few games near the end of the season. IMHO, at that time, Young still didn't seem to be in peak shape, but he handled himself well enough ....for someone coming back from a serious injury.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

More to the point, that Chase Young agility drill video posted is from 2020, and showed what a pre-injury Chase Young could do.   It's no guarantee of Young's current levels of quickness, strength and agility-- especially with those lateral drills or how strongly he can push off making those lateral moves.

I don't recall any videos that Young's made recently, that showed him doing drills similar to those in the 2020 video.  If they're out there, they would show better on what fans might expect from Chase in the upcoming season. 

Right now,  all we have to gauge Young's current level of play, are replays of when he was on the field for a few games near the end of the season. IMHO, at that time, Young still didn't seem to be in peak shape, but he handled himself well enough ....for someone coming back from a serious injury.

Thought he still displayed elite explosion at end of season. Not saying I’m right, just what my eyes saw when watching. 

Anyone else see it differently?

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Thought he still displayed elite explosion at end of season. Not saying I’m right, just what my eyes saw when watching. 

Anyone else see it differently?

Me. I didn’t see the same explosion at all.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Hes going to explode for 15+ sacks and all the haters are gonna whine about how we didn’t exercise his 5th year

We have to exercise the option. You don’t invest the second overall pick in the draft, have him get DROY then say screw it after an injury. He’s still super young too. Dude is going to come back strong this year.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

We have to exercise the option. You don’t invest the second overall pick in the draft, have him get DROY then say screw it after an injury. He’s still super young too. Dude is going to come back strong this year.

I agree.

I still think the move is to shop Montez Sweat.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, MrJL said:

how many people these days are done after one ACL

It wasn't just an ACL. He needed two patella tendon surgeries. And those do have a bad track record of hurting your career.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I agree.

I still think the move is to shop Montez Sweat.

Don't disagree, as Young likely has no real trade value. But that makes Edge a huge weakness this upcoming season.

In order for the defense to not fall off. 1st and 2nd would probably be CB and Edge in some order.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrJL said:

how many people these days are done after one ACL

But his injury was much worse than just an acl. He also ruptured his patellar tendon which complicates his chances of making a full recovery immensely.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/27/is-commanders-de-chase-youngs-injury-combo-rare-washington-nfl-doctor/

“...Even a patellar tendon rupture in its isolation is a rough injury. Combining that with an ACL is a BIG deal. I don’t think I have ever heard of this combo together. I don’t know how he would even do it. It is a very strange combo.”

“The Patellar tendon is the tendon that attaches the knee cap to your shin. Essentially it pulls down on the shin anytime you want to walk or anything. It is a weird combination of tearing that and the ACL at the same time.”

Traditionally the ACL is going to be minimum of 9 months up to 12 months of rehab without any setbacks. The problem with an ACL tear by itself is you pretty much need to get started on rehab pretty quickly. But with the Patellar tendon you need 4 to 6 weeks of allowing it to heal before you can start pushing it. You can’t do both at the same time because that would obviously counteract what you are trying to do.”

3 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

But his injury was much worse than just an acl. He also ruptured his patellar tendon which complicates his chances of making a full recovery immensely.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/27/is-commanders-de-chase-youngs-injury-combo-rare-washington-nfl-doctor/

“...Even a patellar tendon rupture in its isolation is a rough injury. Combining that with an ACL is a BIG deal. I don’t think I have ever heard of this combo together. I don’t know how he would even do it. It is a very strange combo.”

“The Patellar tendon is the tendon that attaches the knee cap to your shin. Essentially it pulls down on the shin anytime you want to walk or anything. It is a weird combination of tearing that and the ACL at the same time.”

Traditionally the ACL is going to be minimum of 9 months up to 12 months of rehab without any setbacks. The problem with an ACL tear by itself is you pretty much need to get started on rehab pretty quickly. But with the Patellar tendon you need 4 to 6 weeks of allowing it to heal before you can start pushing it. You can’t do both at the same time because that would obviously counteract what you are trying to do.”

Huge news and speaks volumes of his health and the money they'd have to pay for the #2 player overall drafted player having his 5th year option picked up.  It might be wise to get a good draft pick for him if you can because if he reinjures it, it might be career over.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

Huge news and speaks volumes of his health and the money they'd have to pay for the #2 player overall drafted player having his 5th year option picked up.  It might be wise to get a good draft pick for him if you can because if he reinjures it, it might be career over.  

You can't really trade players who are expensive -- cost wise or trade value wise coming off a big injury like him.

That video that IMO speaks volumes.   It speaks much more than anything he can say.  To showcase that type of agility and speed indicates to me he's well on the right track.

The dude was a monster player in college with a drive that wants to be great.  My first reaction watching that video is I think he's going to have a big time breakout season as long as he stays healthy.   

I do get the sense listening to Keim they will take an edge though in this draft, doesn't feel like the 1st or 2nd but after that.  Will see.

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Hes going to explode for 15+ sacks and all the haters are gonna whine about how we didn’t exercise his 5th year

IMO he's the most talented player on this roster, the most capable of having a killer season.   I was somewhat giddy when watching that video. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I feel all this is posturing and they’ll pick up the option eventually. 

They probably would like to see him in a practice before making a decision to see if there has been improvement to his physical recovery since the end of the season.

I think Ron’s being a dope by the way he’s talking about it.  They’re making a story where there isn’t one. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO he's the most talented player on this roster, the most capable of having a killer season.

He definitely is.  Easily.  His rookie year was a 14 AV season.  That's better than Jon Allen or Daron Payne's best season.  That's far better than Terry's best season.  To get that total, he was the best player on one of the best defenses in the NFL.  That is how much he elevates the D, from good to dominant.  And that was just him scratching the surface of his ability.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He definitely is.  Easily.  His rookie year was a 14 AV season.  That's better than Jon Allen or Daron Payne's best season.  That's far better than Terry's best season.  To get that total, he was the best player on one of the best defenses in the NFL.  That is how much he elevates the D, from good to dominant.  And that was just him scratching the surface of his ability.

Exactly. Yet people wanna trade him when his value is at its all time lowest. 

He's the only player on our D capable of completely changing a game on his own. As great as Allen and Payne are, DTs simply aren't game playmakers at that level. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

As great as Allen and Payne are, DTs simply aren't game playmakers at that level. 

Aaron Donald?  Chris Jones?  Cortez Kennedy, Randy White, John Randle, Joe Greene, Alan Page, Merlin Olsen, Bob Lily, Warren Sapp.  If you make a list of the 50 greatest players in NFL history regardless of position, like 20% of them will be IDLs.  It's definitely a position where you can totally dominate an NFL game.  Payne and Allen just aren't that level of great.  They're "merely" really really good, not HoF bound great like Jones and Donald.

Chase has the level of talent to be truly great.  Talent-wise, he's peers with the Bosas.  At least he was before his injury, we'll see what happens in the long run.  I absolutely wouldn't trade him, because 1 - buying high and selling low is just dumb, and 2 - I wouldn't ever want to bet against his talent, especially when he popped at the end of the season when he got back.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You can't really trade players who are expensive -- cost wise or trade value wise coming off a big injury like him.

That video that IMO speaks volumes.   It speaks much more than anything he can say.  To showcase that type of agility and speed indicates to me he's well on the right track.

The dude was a monster player in college with a drive that wants to be great.  My first reaction watching that video is I think he's going to have a big time breakout season as long as he stays healthy.   

I do get the sense listening to Keim they will take an edge though in this draft, doesn't feel like the 1st or 2nd but after that.  Will see.

IMO he's the most talented player on this roster, the most capable of having a killer season.   I was somewhat giddy when watching that video. 

First, clearly the best outcome would be Chase Young returning to the disruptive big play player he flashed his rookie year. You pay that guy whatever it takes with a smile.

But sometimes reality is a cruel mistress.

SIP: "That video that IMO speaks volumes.   It speaks much more than anything he can say.  To showcase that type of agility and speed indicates to me he's well on the right track."

As another poster already said that video was made in 2020 and was before the injury.

That version of Chase Young no longer exists. Perhaps he can rehab, get lucky and one day approximate his former agility and burst but until now that remains only a dream.

What I've observed on the field since the injury is an athlete struggling to just be an average NFL player (which is no small feat in the NFL). His observed value is no where near that of a franchise DE.

Will he get there? The odds on fully recovering from multiple pattelar tendon surgeries are formidable, add in the acl and you are in unknown territory.

The fact that we drafted him 2nd overall and have paid him a fortune until now is just sunk cost and shouldn't be part of our decision making process going forward.

I hope the new owners, whoever they are, are not sentimental and make a logical decision based on facts and the probability of long term outcome after reviewing all the information available.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

First, clearly the best outcome would be Chase Young returning to the disruptive big play player he flashed his rookie year. You pay that guy whatever it takes with a smile.

But sometimes reality is a cruel mistress.

SIP: "That video that IMO speaks volumes.   It speaks much more than anything he can say.  To showcase that type of agility and speed indicates to me he's well on the right track."

As another poster already said that video was made in 2020 and was before the injury.

That version of Chase Young no longer exists. Perhaps he can rehab, get lucky and one day approximate his former agility and burst but until now that remains only a dream.

What I've observed on the field since the injury is an athlete struggling to just be an average NFL player (which is no small feat in the NFL). His observed value is no where near that of a franchise DE.

Will he get there? The odds on fully recovering from multiple pattelar tendon surgeries are formidable, add in the acl and you are in unknown territory.

The fact that we drafted him 2nd overall and have paid him a fortune until now is just sunk cost and shouldn't be part of our decision making process going forward.

I hope the new owners, whoever they are, are not sentimental and make a logical decision based on facts and the probability of long term outcome after reviewing all the information available.

Very good take. 

It makes me wonder if we should consider a DE high in the draft this year as insurance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I feel all this is posturing and they’ll pick up the option eventually. 

They probably would like to see him in a practice before making a decision to see if there has been improvement to his physical recovery since the end of the season.

I think Ron’s being a dope by the way he’s talking about it.  They’re making a story where there isn’t one. 

Except the deadline to pick it up is May 1.