Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Rivera's (maybe the GM & front office too) fear is that Chase Young could end up being a JAG that they over-committed financially to too soon and then you could have issues having the money to properly address the position for the next few seasons.   I don't think Chase has enough games played to be certain either way yet, but I will say that he was drafted to be a Bosa-like terror at DE and while he doesn't necessarily have to be that level to be worth a big contract, he should at least show some signs in 2023 that he can play close to that level.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

I agree with not picking up the 5th year option.

I mean, many here are already leaning towards keeping Sweat over Young.

This doesn't seem radical at all.

You don't debate picking up options on generational talents, Ron knows he's not that now, so we should stop pretending on focus on what's actually best for the franchise.

Potential does not equal production.

• Like 3

We know that the pockets are very shallow and if we're going to tag or resign Payne, I doubt we can afford to pick up the option for Chase.

I mean, we can afford both, but don't think we'll be doing either. 

Payne has shown much more value than Young, especially paired with Allen. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We know that the pockets are very shallow and if we're going to tag or resign Payne, I doubt we can afford to pick up the option for Chase.

I mean, we can afford both, but don't think we'll be doing either. 

Payne has shown much more value than Young, especially paired with Allen. 

I would prefer to sign Payne. I agree we could make it work to sign both, but I would rather see some of the salary cap space percentage going forward be spread around to other positions. I would like to see them make a big time extension offer to Payne, and if he accepts then see if we can cash in on Chase in the trade market. If DP does not accept, then I would be up for keeping Chase around and offering him the big money extension (assuming he does enough to earn it, which is clearly in doubt at this point).

Young will end up bouncing back and breaking out with 15+ sacks and we'll end up having to franchise tag him which will cost way more than the 5th year option would. 

Thankfully we have until May to make that decision. If he looks real good in the spring off season stuff(voluntary minicamps, OTAs etc)then maybe that'll change Rivera's mind.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Young will end up bouncing back and breaking out with 15+ sacks and we'll end up having to franchise tag him which will cost way more than the 5th year option would. 

Thankfully we have until May to make that decision. If he looks real good in the spring off season stuff(voluntary minicamps, OTAs etc)then maybe that'll change Rivera's mind.

You’re looking at about a $6-7M difference.