Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

Just now, RandyHolt said:

Per Julie Donaldson

" Could wait to name a GM until after the draft...."

Why in the world would we wait?   Sure it may be pure speculation but also seems so far fetched, that its probably not speculation.

It may point to another year of Dan running the draft.

Actually, that makes some sense too. It's not ideal, but you want the guys who have done all the scouting to have a voice in things. Likely with heavy input from Rivera (if he's the coach). Then they hire a GM who meshes with Rivera and its a good set up. Assuming Allen is in Los Angeles or not employed by the Redskins by then.

So, Ron Rivera comes from the defensive side of the ball, is known for being a defensive minded coach.

During his 9 year tenure with the Panthers, the team's average defensive rankings have been 18th overall for points allowed, 14th overall for yards allowed.  Any concerns on this?  Let's just hope that his talent for managing difficult personalities and inspiring confidence in his players changes the culture around here, and that he's allowed to hire his own staff Hopefully he will retain O'Connell and finds a place for Callahan, but all decisions should be his.

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Per Julie Donaldson

Why in the world would we wait?   Sure it may be pure speculation but also seems so far fetched, that its probably not speculation.

Because GM and scout contracts run through the draft with non-compete clauses.  The GB packers for example don’t want to see an exec switch teams 4 months before the draft so there are provisions to make that nit happen to protect all teams.  

Actually, if Ron has somebody he wants from outside the organization, they would almost HAVE to do it this way. 

Rivera as a coach seems okay. I'm not enthused by the hire, but I get it and he brings some solid qualities. His record is actually pretty solid, more so when you factor in that Cam Newton stopped being able to throw the ball half way through the 2018 season. Carolina was 6-2 at that point. But finished 7-9. Newton again got hurt in 2019, and Carolina was playing nobodies at the QB position. Still managed to go 5-7 (Carolina finished 5-11, losing all 4 games after his firing and losing 8 straight to end the season). So he did well with the hand he was dealt. But...he's also never had back-to-back winning seasons. Something even Jay Gruden managed. So there's good and bad.

Still, I like it overall and suspect this may be the best the team can actually get. People know the organization is a mess and likely wouldn't attract the best candidates. However, I really, really hope he doesn't have much personnel say. That kind of power rarely works and can really set back a team. Not to mention the team has actually drafted rasonably well the last few years. Someone in the organization is doing things right.

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Actually, that makes some sense too. It's not ideal, but you want the guys who have done all the scouting to have a voice in things. Likely with heavy input from Rivera (if he's the coach). Then they hire a GM who meshes with Rivera and its a good set up. Assuming Allen is in Los Angeles or not employed by the Redskins by then.

The guys with the voices should be the new coaches or new GMs scouts, not our old scouts that may get axed after the draft, or may be a bad fit for our GM.  Retaining our best scouts etc is fine with me, but then you are opening the door for more status quo dysfunction, ft no name rapper Draft Day Dan. 

We don't have a GM so its probably no big deal to have de defacto Dan or Bruce for another 4 months.  Me personally my gut says to have the new front office assembled long before the draft, not after.  And not feel handcuffed to the previous seasons scouts on a team littered by dysfunction at every turn. 

I don't they're hiring a GM. It's been said that Kyle and Doug had more to do with last year's draft. If Rivera is hired and is given some type of authority over personnel, this **** is status quo. Can you imagine Bruce introducing Rivera on Monday? Even if he's not at the press conference, rest assured questions about Bruce's capacity will be the dominant questions. Disaster 

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Per Julie Donaldson

Technically, has this team had a GM since Scot McCloughan in 2016? Sounds more like it might be more of a title than any actual power being given

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The videos we've seen of Snyder and Allen in Dallas sure didn't look like they were on buddy buddy terms to me after the game.  

Hopefully Bruce has enough pride to turn down any sort of "reduced role."  Pride (or arrogance) is something he has never lacked.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm assuming Bruce will just be out of football operations as has been rumored. Dan probably still wants him around on the business side of things for the new stadium. But if I were Rivera I'd probably say "If that dude so much as ever even walks into my office or calls me up to talk about football stuff I get to quit and get my full salary guaranteed".

interesting that reports are that Allen 

may speak tomorrow and reports that he is “out”.   I guess there are different versions of what “out” might mean but at the very least these two words “out” + “Allen” are being used together.   It’s at minimum a step in the right direction.  

1 minute ago, kfrankie said:

Hopefully Bruce has enough pride to turn down any sort of "reduced role."  Pride (or arrogance) is something he has never lacked.

Maybe Snyder will try to get him to resign by moving him laterally but giving him a title like "Vice President Of Staying The **** Away From Football" with business cards and all. 

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

The guys with the voices should be the coaches or GMs scouts, not our old scouts that may get axed or a bad fit for our GM.  Retaining our best scouts etc is fine with me, but then you are opening the door for more status quo dysfunction, ft no name rapper Draft Day Dan. 

We don't have a GM so its probably no big deal to have de defacto Dan or Bruce for another 4 months.  Me personally my gut says to have the front office assembled long before the draft, not after.  And not feel handcuffed to the previous seasons scouts.

You can't get a scouting staff hired and get enough scouting done for it to make sense. You use the current scouts reports and Rivera's vision. It's close to impossible to go through that many players including pro and college personnel. It's just not how it works. Only way it works is if the team poaches another team's FO. Problem there is the other teams' aren't letting their staffs go.

Long term you're right. 

1 minute ago, Idaho fan said:

interesting that reports are that Allen 

may speak tomorrow and reports that he is “out”.   I guess there are different versions of what “out” might mean but at the very least these two words “out” + “Allen” are being used together.   It’s at minimum a step in the right direction.  

If allen is allowed to speak for the team that would seriously be a major slap in the face to the remaining fans. If Dan is that tone deaf, the team deserves everything it gets.

Back when Murf was here for the Vikings game, before Rivera was available, he asked me what I thought would happen and who I predicted would be our next coach.   Snyder, as much of a bitter dimwit as he is, has to know the fans are tired of the way this organization feels and has to want something splashy.   So, I say, "Cowher.   With Dungy as his DC."   Something huge.   Something seriously moving.    When Rivera came available he entered a list of coaches I wouldn't have minded seeing here.   Harbaugh was No. 1.   I love me some Jim Harbaugh.   Dabo Swinney was No. 2 in that he's the "ultimate" culture guy and college transition be damned.   Rivera would have been third.   Obviously if Cowher was kind of available he'd have been on that list.   I'd probably conduct sexual favors if we could get Tomlin, but I wouldn't give a draft pick for him :).   Meyer doesn't excite me in that he seems totally a college guy and he has tumors that get aggravated when the grind is hard, which it is in the pros.   

Rivera is not a "great" innovator.   He hasn't produced consistent teams.   His side of the ball hasn't been dominating all that often and has been bad somewhat often.   But he has produced acceptably well, has good experience, a great reputation, and is a respectable get in this world if he's ours.   He's won NFL coach of the year MORE than once.  I like that he runs a 4-3.   He has won games in the playoffs even.  I will consider it nearly perfect if he keeps KOC and gives Haskins and the offense time to gel while he puts the bad 3-4 pieces into a 4-3.   This isn't a splashy move.   But it is an interesting one in that Rivera will be in demand.

If he doesn't come here the Giants would take him.   The Cowboys would probably look his way.   Cleveland would be all up on him.   The man has options.   He doesn't have to come here.   And we often here how here is the worst place on earth.   But is it?   Haskins, Guice, McLaurin and now Sims give you the basis of a potential big three, on rookie deals, that you build a team around in the near future.   They all could suck.   But they are possible.   No team has ALL three spots on offense filled in such a way.   Toss in the No. 2 pick, young players on defense you can put into position and this is an attractive landing spot.   IF it works out Rivera is also old enough that KOC is kind of the heir apparent.   

I don't LOVE the pick.   I like it fine and will like it more if we keep KOC.   I do think the defense is 12 to 15 spots higher JUST from being coached competently.   I do think the offense may have something to be interesting, especially if you talk Trent into coming back should Bruce be gone.   Bruce probably can't be in the building and survive Trent walking by in the lunch room though :).   

Another thought is with Rivera they're getting the Rooney rule out of the way while at the same time appearing to bring in solid candidates. Rivera as head coach is not a good pick IMO. I don't get a warm fuzzy with hiring a recently fired coach with an expectation that he is going to make an immediate positive impact. Think about the players in this regard. What the **** does Rivera have to say? We beat the **** out of them a couple weeks ago. WTF does he bring to the table?  He ain't won ****! I'll believe Belichick or someone from the Ravens. But this guy? Ah hell naw. 

Archived