Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You were praising though Callahan at least in theory for following analytics.  That remains to be seen.  Sharp doesn't seem to think so as to his take of Callahan's rhetoric.  What i posted there wasn't the only part of him making fun of Callahan's statements.  But will see. 

Jay's biggest gaffe to the analytics guys were the heavy runs on first down.  Should be interesting to see if that changes.  

Not praising just noticed that it was refreshing to hear something referring to analytics, because it is clear that since we have been a run almost every first down team since jay was here that clearly Sharps vision of analytics weren't being followed either. If i recall Jay was the coach always talked about establishing the run and wanting to run more but clearly didn't do that but we are so certain that will be Callahan's philosophy. Like you said we will see.

1 hour ago, Brokenstriker said:

Seriously ... what could any head coach do about that ... except replace Manusky?

Calahan can't even do that because Manusky is another one of Bruce's guys. Only terror from above (Doofus Dan) can get him canned.

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Did he actually say we needed more first down runs? Or is that a meme?

Maybe just doubling down on what doesn't seem to be working is the plan. Run on first, run on 2nd and 3rd then too!

Hey, gotta love the dedication. It does replicate what Dan has done with the team for 20 years of suck.

When we unfortunately beat the Dolphins and do it by running AP 40+ times against what may be thee worst run defense in history, anyone on this board that decides to get behind Callahan as if hes not a joke, should have their avatar immediately changed to a burgundy and gold clown.

good coaches know their players strengths and weaknesses ... devise schemes to put the players in position to take advantage of their strengths without exposing their weaknesses ... bad coaches start with their scheme and jam players into it where their weaknesses are exposed and their strengths aren't realized ... i.e., Manusky is a bad coach ... and Jay wasn't much better

@DanSnyder ... even you have to see this

Clemson's Venerable for example completely changed his defensive scheme this past off season based on knowing what his players do and don't do well .... spent the off-season studying new schemes,  focused in on Iowa State's and installed it this season ... he doesn't have a scheme ... he has players

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

When we unfortunately beat the Dolphins and do it by running AP 40+ times against what may be thee worst run defense in history, anyone on this board that decides to get behind Callahan as if hes not a joke, should have their avatar immediately changed to a burgundy and gold clown.

Right here!

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It’s going to happen.  Not by many, but there will be some folks taking discipline flavored Gatorade baths afterwards.  

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Question is Callahan's backround as an O-line coach specifically in the zone scheme?  Is there a chance he changes the actual running scheme to better fit AP?

Midseason with the same players who already false start and hold half a dozen times a game?

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s going to happen.  Not by many, but there will be some folks taking discipline flavored Gatorade baths afterwards.  

Why do you feel the need to do this? Take a look at the threads on this board. Take a look at the content on those threads. What is your obsession with throwing shade on the “few” posters here that don’t post ridiculously negative content?

What’s great is you (and a few others that I’d expect) feel the need to get ahead of it so that next week you can already minimize the win and lessen whatever narrative that ever so slightly takes the pressure off the Redskins. 

I hope they win this week. And the next week. And the week after that. Don’t promote a loser’s mentality. I mean just look at how successful the Browns are with all of their tank seasons and top 5 picks! I’d kill for a Mayfield and Kitchens combo right now, but that’s no compliment to the Browns. 

59 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

If he makes it that long. 

I think he does.  The season is lost.  You really can't make serious changes in your coaching outside of what you already have this late in the season.  Thus, he fills in this year and SnyderAllen hunt for the next HC.

7 hours ago, DmvE said:

Not praising just noticed that it was refreshing to hear something referring to analytics, because it is clear that since we have been a run almost every first down team since jay was here that clearly Sharps vision of analytics weren't being followed either. If i recall Jay was the coach always talked about establishing the run and wanting to run more but clearly didn't do that but we are so certain that will be Callahan's philosophy. Like you said we will see.

Call me skeptical, but I have a hard time believing Callahan will make it works. He's been here long enough and was looking over running game. Running game was never good since he camed here. So that's on him big time. Don't see why that would change now.

Now he claims he wants less penalties, when his unit, OL, especially Moses, is the one doing the most of it. He's been coaching those guy for a few years and was never able to teach them that. That's on him big time as well.

Finally, commit to the run game? Take a look at our latest injury report: Penn, Martin, Piersbacher, Scherff, Roullier are on it. That doesn't look good either. And we also had rumors that most of them happened because he's kicking their tires too much with extra work every day.

To me, he's also a big reason why our offense hasn't been good at all for those last years. He can claim whatever he wants, I'm not believing him, and winning against Miami won't help, because well, that's Miami tanking that is coming.

3 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Why do you feel the need to do this? Take a look at the threads on this board. Take a look at the content on those threads. What is your obsession with throwing shade on the “few” posters here that don’t post ridiculously negative content?

What’s great is you (and a few others that I’d expect) feel the need to get ahead of it so that next week you can already minimize the win and lessen whatever narrative that ever so slightly takes the pressure off the Redskins. 

I hope they win this week. And the next week. And the week after that. Don’t promote a loser’s mentality. I mean just look at how successful the Browns are with all of their tank seasons and top 5 picks! I’d kill for a Mayfield and Kitchens combo right now, but that’s no compliment to the Browns. 

Get ahead of it? I’m doing a rather good job of that considering I said this before Callahan became coach.  Go back and look at what I posted in response to you last week before Jay was even fired.  I clearly said there was still time to turn it around and didn’t expect the team to go 0-16.  The team is bad, but not that bad.  The Dolphins are that bad, but on purpose.   

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Way ahead of you

The fact that he does he offense is worst in the league on 1st down runs and 3rd down passes isnt too shocking. It sounds like Gruden was a buddy coach and really didnt take things that seriously. I feel like if I was running things and I had statistics like that to look at, they would be brought up in weekly meetings. Im imagining running a football team like I ran my office in a past position where we used stats.....not for everything, but to help put context and color results to everything. Information and communication was key for me. I cant imagine it wouldnt help at least marginally with this football team. I dunno though as I have never even been on a football team lol. 

I do wonder why it feels like Gruden had no structure, though. It would explain things. But I wonder if he just didnt care -- because working for Dan and Bruce was just so bad that he didnt care. Or if he was just not good enough. Or something else. I dunno. I wish I could have been a part of it, though. Just out of curiosity if nothing else. 

Callahan to me is very likely a temporary blip.   No way I think Dan tries to sell hope next year by pushing Callahan as the answer.  I think the national media are right that its either a sexy hire like Tomlin if he becomes available or O'Connell.   Will see. 

As for the Dolphins game.  Yeah they should win it in theory and do so easily but I hope they don't.  If we end up with the #1 pick the Dolphins likely give up a kings ransom to trade up to get Tua.  I don't think it means squat how many games they win this season unless we are talking 9-10 wins and going to the playoffs.   And I don't see that happening.   It's a loaded draft.    I get the whole this isn't the NBA thing.  But still think about what the teams in our division be without some of their top 5 picks like Barkley, Wentz, Elliot. 

Arguably our two best players under Dan have been Trent and Sean Taylor.  Both were dudes you aren't getting outside the top 10.  The difference between getting a Von Miller at #2 and Kerrigan in the mid first round is huge.  One is a really good player the other wrecks offenses.  We got Chase Young in this draft who looks like a K. Mack and Miller type.    And he's likely going top 3.

Look what happened to SF as an example.  Like us they had good players on the D line but were missing a killer pass rusher.  They had a really bad season and ended up with Bosa in the draft who transformed that D line.   Some believe Chase Young is even better than Bosa.  Look at what happened to the Bears defense when they added K. Mack?    And Young is just one dude but a case in point about the difference in drafting top 5 versus 10-15.  And in some drafts it doesn't matter a heck of a lot for example see 2015, etc.  But this draft IMO the top 5 will be really really good. 

If O'Connell was the coach I'd feel differently about winning now.  But I don't think we are establishing anything long term with Callahan.   49ers stunk last year, added a stud and made a good unit special and now are undefeated.  Their psyche handled the bad season fine.  They are likely going to smoke us in about 10 days.   

Archived