Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

47 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

a) Players. 
We have a young team, or at least a team with a lot of youth on it. And while many of the players come from winning programs, these players haven't seen winning in the NFL. I'm not saying that they're going to see that this season, but if they grow to expect the Gruden-like practices it makes it more difficult for the next coach to come in here and establish a more difficult regime. And we saw what happened with (many of) these same players when Gruden tried to get more difficult in practice. 

I don't think it matters.  You are likely going to have a new coach anyway in 2020.   Every coach kind of brings a new beginning vibe with them.  Let's say in theory its Tomlin, he'd come and set the culture in his own unique way, I doubt players will care what Callahan did before that.  

b) A learning coach. 
This is somewhere that KOC differs from McVay. McVay worked under Shanny (and I think the other Gruden) and had a number more years of coaching at the pro level. So he had his own ideas of how practice should be run, handling personalities and stuff.

I'll pimp some for O'Connell.  Among his other stops he played for Belichick and has been around the block.  Agree not as much as McVay.  But I am much more intrigued by him than Callahan.

People are joking on Cali right now acting like he's making Gruden level mistakes with his press conferences, but I I like what I hear. Its kinda like what Doc was saying though in that we can't judge anything until Monday, or at earliest Sunday at 4.

Agree with this part.  I don't really have a strong opinion about Callahan one way or another.  I really don't care.  He could end up better or worse.  These coaches we've had don't drop out of the sky.  Bruce and Dan hire them.  So the idea that the next guy might be the answer -- at best I shrug it off, at worst I said if the departing coach is always the problem then what does it say about the people that hire them?   I don't have a negative or positive view of Callahan or really feel like delving deep in anything he's doing.  It's a clean slate.  I am not excited.  i am not down on him either.  To me its whatever.  I don't think he's going to be the coach in 2020.  If I did I'd see things more your way.

And I love Galdi but I think he's wrong here. We had McCoy get 4.5 ypa on Sunday. Sure that's better than most running plays, especially for us. But thatnever even tries to get Peterson into a rhythm, it makes the OL play on their heels, and its getting the QB hurt. We've got Smith, McCoy, Johnson, and Keenum hurt in like 12 weeks. Yeah that's probably a stretch of bad luck but its also saying that we need to do more to protect our QBs. 

I am agnostic about the run the ball thing.  I love Peterson.  And I am going to that game so I'll enjoy seeing a lot of him.  but as for celebrating it or criticizing the idea -- i can't do it just yet.  I need to see it play out.  I liked Jay more than most -- but I was far from in love with him.  i probably wrote the toughest post on the board on his play calling about a year ago and it centered a lot on the running on first down.  I hate it.  So I want to see WHEN Callahan runs before I praise or criticize him.

26 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

giphy.gif

I got to admit I am a little confused if we are talking about @Califan007 or Callahan.   So if you meant Califan, I got to differ to him.  i am one of those I want whatever the guy in charge wants kind of guy.  If it were just up to me, I'd want a killer player like Chase Young or Tua or Andrew Thomas. etc -- a top 5 pick.   I do think you can recover from a bad season and start anew next year see SF.  But clearly I am not running the team. 

But if @Califan007 sees it differently, I defer to him, it would be his culture we are trying to establish after all. 

The nicknames haven't worked out well for us. 

"RG" 

"Scotty Mac"

"Bree"

And now "Cali"? And he hasn't even (head) coached a game for us yet? 

I will never call him Cali, just as I will never call Adam Schefter "Schefty." 

There is one nickname only that's still worth using related to this team, and that's "Brucifer". 

And another thing, what's with all these coaches using the term "cat" to describe another player? Gruden used to do it all the time. I heard Manusky do it the other day. Have heard other coaches use it. "We need to stop that cat." What are we, some sort of pathetic jazz band? If we are, it's definitely improvisational jazz. 

It's inspiring to see that someone still has the energy to spare to care about something like nicknames lol...

I'll admit I'm still chuckling over "Capital Punishment" or whatever it was this offseason or last offseason...****ing dorks, can't stop anyone

8 hours ago, MariusVT said:

There's no reason for letting an interim coach go during the rest of the season, regardless of what his record is.  His job is to steward this steaming pile to the end of the season because someone has to be coach.

It was a joke guys, but still anything is possible with Snyder.

Except winning that is

It sucks if Callahan does well e.g 6-10, he tanks a pick that Bruce will likely want to trade for Tomlin, mandating have to throw in additional picks to get er done.   It's terrible but at this point its probably best to tank, but Dan and Bruce just can't do it, even if an ace QB #1 consensus overall is staring at them in the face.

I wonder if having Haskins makes Bruce uninterested in taking a QB next year, no matter how he develops this year.

I'VE ALREADY DECIDED

hqdefault.jpg

What I don’t get, is if that Jay was such a tragedy, with a Country Club atmosphere at Redskins Park, disorganized, lazy, letting the inmates run the asylum, whatever else is out there...why would management let this go on for almost six years?  Why would a guy like Callahan not just quit? Why wouldn’t any of the other coaches head for greener pastures if the way he ran things was such a joke?  From Bruce’s perspective, speaking on the culture being damn good, how is the culture damn good if the head coach is just a walking blooper reel letting the players do whatever they want?

None of it makes any sense.

43 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What I don’t get, is if that Jay was such a tragedy, with a Country Club atmosphere at Redskins Park, disorganized, lazy, letting the inmates run the asylum, whatever else is out there...why would management let this go on for almost six years?  Why would a guy like Callahan not just quit? Why wouldn’t any of the other coaches head for greener pastures if the way he ran things was such a joke?  From Bruce’s perspective, speaking on the culture being damn good, how is the culture damn good if the head coach is just a walking blooper reel letting the players do whatever they want?

I can answer that; because Bruce is a professional liar who spins things in the teams favor no matter how insulting it sounds to the fans or anyone else. Example: "No, Trent is not retiring, he's gonna play this year.....for us!" 

If the culture was that damn good then why did so many people in office postions quit this Spring? When Bruce speaks believe it to be a lie.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I certainly do.  It’s just that even for him, it’s a really, really bad look to six years later determine all this change is needed.

Dan and Bruce always find somewhere else to place the blame.....Jay, Scott McCloughan, Cousins, Trent, Swearinger, injuries, etc....I wonder if Dan ever wonders about his legacy? Right now it's not a good one and that's putting it nicely. 

He is sounding good so far but I fully don't expect a big change for Sunday.  Like the conditioning he has mentioned.  Just running wind-sprints this week doesn't really change conditioning in a meaningful way.  If that was an issue it should have been addressed earlier in the season.  Maybe some of the other stuff changes their mindset some so still hopeful his energy and changes will be enough to spark a win.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think it matters.  You are likely going to have a new coach anyway in 2020.   Every coach kind of brings a new beginning vibe with them.  Let's say in theory its Tomlin, he'd come and set the culture in his own unique way, I doubt players will care what Callahan did before that.  

But this dismisses the obvious - the idea that Cali is the next coach. Or what's even more the fact that just like players, he's putting stuff on his resume that he will have to answer to in the future. And not just that but the players, be it here or somewhere else, have a lot of respect for him. In the future he may want to coach them again so he doesn't want them thinking he's half ***-ing it and just waiting for the season to end. 

But even more than that, like I said in my last post. This is not just a run of the mill coach. Yeah he's not the sexy young hot candidate, but we're not out of it and twice before when this team started 0-5, they went on an 8-3 run to finish the season. We've all talked about how talented this team is and just because we're 0-5 I'm not backtracking from that belief. So I don't see why such a run isn't possible this year. And with all this talk about culture, I'm of the mindset that winning brings culture. From those last two 0-5 starts we have the beginning of our SB run, and a coach that many of us wish was never fired. So I don't know. I'm still thinking that these things matter. Heck look over on South Capitol Street. They had one of the biggest turnarounds in history. Look at Seattle. Their run started with a 7-9 sneak into the playoffs and then all of a sudden they're a championship team. 

I'll pimp some for O'Connell.  Among his other stops he played for Belichick and has been around the block.  Agree not as much as McVay.  But I am much more intrigued by him than Callahan.

Yeah, he played there as a rookie (or as a young player). How much was he thinking about coaching? Otherwise he's been in Cleveland and SF (under Chip Kelly). How much coaching was he learning, particularly things about how to run practice? 

Agree with this part.  I don't really have a strong opinion about Callahan one way or another.  I really don't care.  He could end up better or worse.  These coaches we've had don't drop out of the sky.  Bruce and Dan hire them.  So the idea that the next guy might be the answer -- at best I shrug it off, at worst I said if the departing coach is always the problem then what does it say about the people that hire them?   I don't have a negative or positive view of Callahan or really feel like delving deep in anything he's doing.  It's a clean slate.  I am not excited.  i am not down on him either.  To me its whatever.  I don't think he's going to be the coach in 2020.  If I did I'd see things more your way.

To the question you ask, I'll say not much.

But we have seen differences in coaches. Gibbs 2 is leaps and bounds above the other coaches under Snyder, but Shotty is different than Shanny who's different than Zorn who's different from Spurrier who's different from Gruden. None have really had success, but the reasons are different. Unless you want to say that the reason is Dan. So if Callahan fails, I'll question why again. Why Gruden failed isn't the same reason that Shanny failed. I think if Shanny could have gotten Cousins going then he may still be here and maybe we have some success, but Shanny couldn't get him going. He didn't do anything until Gruden came here and made him look like a legit if not top 10 QB. But Gruden couldn't establish a running game, which was Shanny's thing. Neither could establish a defense, but Gregg Williams (under Gibbs) and Blatche (under Zorn) did a lot better in that regard. 

So will we try to fix the problems that we had under Gruden, and what new problems will emerge, and how will we address them? I definitely wouldn't say I'm excited. Heck I had to watch Shazam just to have the piece of mind to visit this forum this week. But I'm approaching this more like I'm reading a novel. I see what chapter 5 gave me, and now I'm moving on to chapter 6 and doing some thinking about what could happen in this chapter. The coach firing wasn't unexpected, but the way these press conferences have gone have been a bit surprising. I was honestly expecting more stumbling over injuries, lax practices, the media ignoring the change saying nothing's different, and players acting the same. So this has made me at least curious to see what new things I see in chapter 6. 

I am agnostic about the run the ball thing.  I love Peterson.  And I am going to that game so I'll enjoy seeing a lot of him.  but as for celebrating it or criticizing the idea -- i can't do it just yet.  I need to see it play out.  I liked Jay more than most -- but I was far from in love with him.  i probably wrote the toughest post on the board on his play calling about a year ago and it centered a lot on the running on first down.  I hate it.  So I want to see WHEN Callahan runs before I praise or criticize him.

I got to admit I am a little confused if we are talking about @Califan007 or Callahan.   So if you meant Califan, I got to differ to him.  i am one of those I want whatever the guy in charge wants kind of guy.  If it were just up to me, I'd want a killer player like Chase Young or Tua or Andrew Thomas. etc -- a top 5 pick.   I do think you can recover from a bad season and start anew next year see SF.  But clearly I am not running the team. 

I hate long names. I really get frustrated typing them because occasionally I'll try to search for them then I'll realize that I misspelled it and so I have to go post by post, and thats frustrating. If we'd have hired a smith or a jones I'd be typing the entire name out, but with another spelling that I'm likely to misspell, I've just been typing Cali. I stopped looking at the names of posts for the most part (funny, I can still kinda tell who's posting based on the style of writing) and so I was wondering if Califan had stopped posting. Glad to see that he hasn't, but I have to make sure I don't confuse the board with who I'm referring to. 

But if @Califan007 sees it differently, I defer to him, it would be his culture we are trying to establish after all. 

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

But this dismisses the obvious - the idea that Cali is the next coach. Or what's even more the fact that just like players, he's putting stuff on his resume that he will have to answer to in the future. And not just that but the players, be it here or somewhere else, have a lot of respect for him. In the future he may want to coach them again so he doesn't want them thinking he's half ***-ing it and just waiting for the season to end. 

My point isn't that the Redskins are tanking or doing it on purpose.  I don't think any team tanks in the terms you bring up.   I don't even think the Dolphin players are tanking on purpose.  The way you tank is do what the Dolphins do which is strip the team of talent.  but the players who are actually playing are doing their best.  So yeah I agree I don't think Callahan is losing squat on purpose and for that matter neither is any other NFL team.  I am just saying in my view it would be better for them to lose, earn a top 5 pick, it might even compel Dan to make a shake up in the FO versus the reverse of both points.

In short, I agree that they will give their 100%. But that doesn't worry me about securing a top 5 pick. 

But even more than that, like I said in my last post. This is not just a run of the mill coach. Yeah he's not the sexy young hot candidate, but we're not out of it and twice before when this team started 0-5, they went on an 8-3 run to finish the season.

I personally think he's a goner next year at least as a HC.    But yeah I don't care if they finish the season 8-8.  It means nothing to me, the only thing it accomplishes in my view is picking lowering in the draft and keeping the FO status quo. 

We've all talked about how talented this team is a

I don't think we've all talked about it that way.  Some have.  There were plenty here who thought we'd stink this year.  I wasn't though one of them.  I actually made fun of the national media who said our talent stinks and we'd go like 3-13 -- which was most of the national media including Vegas, power rankers, draft geeks, etc.  They all foresaw this.  They look to be correct.  I look to be wrong. 

But I wasn't on the other extreme of the pendulum either.  I thought the talent was mediocre -- "meh".  7-9, 8-8.    But if you told me before the season we'd have another rodeo of injuries and Case-Colt would be even worse than I thought and Trent wouldn't return -- this collapse makes more sense to me.  The defense collapse has surprised me though.  

Frankly I am not too worried about your desire to win.  I think they go 3-13.   I think they beat the Dolphins, the Jets and sneak another one maybe against NY.  Dolphins giving up like 40 points a game, they aren't just losing but are getting destroyed.   They have scored 2 TDs in the whole season.   The Jets game I think will be tighter. 

Yeah, he played there as a rookie (or as a young player). How much was he thinking about coaching? Otherwise he's been in Cleveland and SF (under Chip Kelly). How much coaching was he learning, particularly things about how to run practice? 

To nail down your position.  If you had a choice to coach this team, Callahan or O'Connell next year, who would you want?

But we have seen differences in coaches. Gibbs 2 is leaps and bounds above the other coaches under Snyder, but Shotty is different than Shanny who's different than Zorn who's different from Spurrier who's different from Gruden. None have really had success, but the reasons are different.

I used to believe that a good coach can circumvent bad culture from the FO.   I don't anymore.  They can marginally improve it with fleeting but nothing special type of success but nothing significant from what I've observed.    And the idea of celebrating the last coach's demise and the next one is a savior (I am not saying that you are doing that, just explaining my mindset) is just a weird dance for me. 

Because even if I ran with that premise then I'd also have to believe that Dan just continually hires bad coaches or formerly good coaches who happen to disappoint by weird coincidence once they arrive here.  So either Dan makes the worst hires in the league continually (so why should I be celebrating his next one?)  since he eventually gets exposed for getting every hire wrong or there is something about coaching there that doesn't bring out the best out of our coaches.  I am thinking the later. 

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Even if it did makes sense and I ran with that logic.  Then Bruce and Dan (who both watch almost every practice according to reporters) are mega complicit in it since they saw what went on all the time.   I don't care what the organization is.  If you hire and keep an employee who let's say is a joke level atrocious -- let alone give them an extension and pay them millions of dollars a year -- then that reflects badly on the people who hire the clown and keep him not the clown himself.  

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even if it did makes sense and I ran with that logic.  Then Bruce and Dan (who both watch almost every practice according to reporters) are mega complicit in it since they saw what went on all the time.   I don't care what the organization is.  If you hire and keep an employee who let's say is a joke level atrocious -- let alone give them an extension and pay them millions of dollars a year -- then that reflects badly on the people who hire the clown and keep him not the clown himself.  

That's pretty much my point.  They've been watching Jay and how he operates for going on six years.  So if the way things are ran from a coaching perspective is really that god awful, why did they extend him a few years ago?  Why did it take until this past Monday to let him go?  Not only that but to literally pin the entirety of the team's woes on him, and say the culture is damn good, when you are basically saying that the coach you hired and extended had a horrendous culture.  No matter which way you look at this, even if Callahan wins the next 11 games and heads to the playoffs or if he loses the next 11 and they go 0-16, Bruce and Dan still come out looking like the absolute idiots they are.  

This is what I don't understand. If Gruden's practices were that bad and Hydra knew it, what is their justification for keeping a guy like that? I get the sense it wasn't the clown show it's been advertised to be. But Hydra doesn't understand that they paint themselves badly when they attempt to smear Gruden on the way out. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To nail down your position.  If you had a choice to coach this team, Callahan or O'Connell next year, who would you want?

....:

F it! I’ll take that one .....

You know me well enough to know that I’ve never given a flying F what anyone thinks of me and I stand by what I believe to be right all day long. So I’ll NAIL my name to his mast on a pure gut feeling of him being a good one .....

Callahan. Hands down! 

If he continues in this vein, and turns this shower into a respectable, fundamentally sound. disciplined, hard working group who always put a proper shift in every time they take to the practice field, let alone on game day, as I FULLY believe he will; then regardless of W’s or L’s I’ll be pulling for him 100% to get the gig. 

I can only take him at face value from his first week to press (what went before as a positional coach is neither here nor there to me given the leadership, or more so complete lack there of, of the previous HC who set the tone for the entire group); and based off of that he’s EXACTLY the type of leader I want taking our team into battle every Sunday.

And if O’Connell van be retained to learn and be groomed under him all the better.

Now, all that remains is for my good buddy from the Islands to give me my burgundy clown avatar! ;)

Hail.

41 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

F it! I’ll take that one .....

You know me well enough to know that I’ve never given a flying F what anyone thinks of me and I stand by what I believe to be right all day long. So I’ll NAIL my name to his mast on a pure gut feeling of him being a good one .....

Callahan. Hands down! 

If he continues in this vein, and turns this shower into a respectable, fundamentally sound. disciplined, hard working group who always put a proper shift in every time they take to the practice field, let alone on game day, as I FULLY believe he will; then regardless of W’s or L’s I’ll be pulling for him 100% to get the gig. 

I can only take him at face value from his first week to press (what went before as a positional coach is neither here nor there to me given the leadership, or more so complete lack there of, of the previous HC who set the tone for the entire group); and based off of that he’s EXACTLY the type of leader I want taking our team into battle every Sunday.

And if O’Connell van be retained to learn and be groomed under him all the better.

Now, all that remains is for my good buddy from the Islands to give me my burgundy clown avatar! ;)

Hail.

It's all cool. 😀  We can all obviously like who we want.  It's just opinion.   I got no idea how well or not Callahan will do until it unfolds.   I've seen disciplined types succeed and fail.  You got me how this will go down.  As for the type of coaches I like (everything being equal), I am more into innovative-pizzaz-energy types like ironically a dude like Klopp.  Callahan comes off to me as old school which I think has both upsides and downsides.  But like I said, I don't really have a strong feeling about him either positive or negative, I'll wait for it to play out. 

Sadly, I don't think their roster is good enough in its current configuration for Callahan or any coach to kill it so I think it will be tough to judge -- positive or negative. I do think they will smoke the Dolphins so for a week or so we will have some Callahan buzz but I think it takes a dive soon after.   And that compounds my thought that we are likely wasting our time even debating the subject because I'd be surprised if he is the coach here next year.   But will see. 

As for O'Connell.  Good article here from Charles Robinson about how Dan has let some young stud coaches go and its haunted him. O'Connell is billed as a potential stud in that vein.  Tough for me to trust that we won't regret him leaving in favor of a dude next year who will be pushing his mid 60s. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-sean-mc-vay-vacuum-haunts-the-washington-redskins-now-more-than-ever-044419676.html

28 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail.

Hey that makes two of us that'll have burgundy clown avatars!! Lol..

We need our players wearing "run the damn football" hats too!

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

How does one change there avatar?..does it have to be done by a mod?

On the upper right of the black ExtremeSkins banner, left-click on your name. On the list that appears after clicking, select "Profile", which is at the top of the list. On your profile page, go to the left side of the screen and click on the little image button below your avatar.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.355bc212bcdf37e94bb42b79f1ee0d38.jpg

15 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Weren't there all kinds of tweets, rumblings earlier this year that Callahan, Munusky and Tomsula all wanted out but they wouldn't let them out of their contracts?

28 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

On the upper right of the black ExtremeSkins banner, left-click on your name. On the list that appears after clicking, select "Profile", which is at the top of the list. On your profile page, go to the left side of the screen and click on the little image button below your avatar.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.355bc212bcdf37e94bb42b79f1ee0d38.jpg

Isnt your avatar that little picture next to your name?..mine is just a Redskins logo..yours has a player with a Gatorade cooler ove his head...I couldn't figure out how to change it..it asked if I wanted to upload a photo or what have ya....I'm not tech savvy lol

43 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Weren't there all kinds of tweets, rumblings earlier this year that Callahan, Munusky and Tomsula all wanted out but they wouldn't let them out of their contracts?

I don’t recall that about Manusky, but Callahan and Tomsula, yes.

DHall actually said on NFLN that at some point last season Jay went to Bruce with a “Callahan or me” argument.  So obviously things have been not so hot on that front for a while.

The Tomsula issue got sniffed out as his contract was over with and then he signed up for more, but who knows - perhaps there is more to it. 

Archived