Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

If Callahan really wants to run the ball, yet we cannot run power effectively, maybe he should consider the famed Shanahan zone. Meanwhile in SF, they have 185 rushing yards in the first half, likely more than we have had all year. 

I wish he was asked in his presser if the run game was his specialty, and if so, why has it sucked his entire tenure here.

18 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If Callahan really wants to run the ball, yet we cannot run power effectively, maybe he should consider the famed Shanahan zone. Meanwhile in SF, they have 185 rushing yards in the first half, likely more than we have had all year. 

I wish he was asked in his presser if the run game was his specialty, and if so, why has it sucked his entire tenure here.

We don't have the personnel for that. Especially without Trent. Penn and Moses are stiff as a board and don't move that well imo. Scherff could do it if healthy, maybe Flowers since he's athletic but who knows. The bookend OT's being stone gargoyles kinda makes it tough I think.

47 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We don't have the personnel for that. Especially without Trent. Penn and Moses are stiff as a board and don't move that well imo. Scherff could do it if healthy, maybe Flowers since he's athletic but who knows. The bookend OT's being stone gargoyles kinda makes it tough I think.

Agree they are stiff as boards lol but if they cannot run power, they are going to have to get their asses in gear and get used to running.   Maybe for a drive to open a game, and then go back to uninspiring no identity no name run game under his tenure.

7 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

If memory serves didn’t Callahan lose the locker room in Oakland because he called all the players stupid or something?   Maybe this time instead he’ll call Dan and Bruce stupid, that would be hilarious. 

Pretty sure they all swore up and down he threw SB XXXVII

9 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Well isn’t that nice lol.

it sounds totally devoid of sanity, but I mean... it's clear that there was some "stuff" there. Who the hell knows.

Al Davis was a madman by then so any number of things could've been going on, but its interesting nonetheless 

16 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Well isn’t that nice lol.

I'm pretty sure the allegation is that for some reason he changed the entire offensive gameplan the night before the game, and the players never understood why and couldn't catch up in time, and they had no chance basically. So sabotage, accidental or not, is the narrative. 

26 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

it sounds totally devoid of sanity, but I mean... it's clear that there was some "stuff" there. Who the hell knows.

Al Davis was a madman by then so any number of things could've been going on, but its interesting nonetheless 

*Bucs coach was 1 year removed from Oakland.

*Barret Robbins had a bipolar psychic break of some sorts the night before the game, which compromised the OL. 

*The Bucs defense was making a run at the Ravens of '00 for the 2nd best defense ever behind the '85 Bears.

All the Bucs Defense needed to do was get a competent game from Brad Johnson, and the D would do the rest. Brad had a great game, the Defense wasn't even their best version of themselves, and they still put the wood to Oakland. The sad thing about that Oakland group was that they peaked in '00-'01, the '02 version was already starting to age out (which became clear the following year). They took advantage of a slump out of New England to snag that appearance. 

No shenanigans were necessary, the Bucs were going to win unless Brad Johnson had one of his "Brad" games and he didn't. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm pretty sure the allegation is that for some reason he changed the entire offensive gameplan the night before the game, and the players never understood why and couldn't catch up in time, and they had no chance basically. So sabotage, accidental or not, is the narrative. 

Maybe my memory is off, but I remember it being somewhat the opposite. That is, I seem to remember the Raiders players (or someone) saying Callahan never changed anything in the offense so Gruden and the defense knew exactly what was coming beforehand. Either way, such brilliance might mean we could be in the running for one of the top couple of picks after all.🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

18 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Maybe my memory is off, but I remember it being somewhat the opposite. That is, I seem to remember the Raiders players (or someone) saying Callahan never changed anything in the offense so Gruden and the defense knew exactly what was coming beforehand. Either way, such brilliance might mean we could be in the running for one of the top couple of picks after all.🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

Damn you may be right. Maybe I'm thinking of another situation entirely.

On the running game, Callahan said that the RB has to get into a rhythm. You certainly can't get into any kind of rhythm when you're so frequently taken out of the game. That drove me nuts last season. AP has been so frequently taken out of the game just when it looks like he's ready to get things going. It's got to be frustrating. And like Callahan said, we're at the bottom of the league in rush attempts. That has to change. It's not just running more, it's knowing when to run. I'm eager to see how O'Connell will fare in terms of situational play-calling.

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

On the running game, Callahan said that the RB has to get into a rhythm. You certainly can't get into any kind of rhythm when you're so frequently taken out of the game. That drove me nuts last season. AP has been so frequently taken out of the game just when it looks like he's ready to get things going. It's got to be frustrating. And like Callahan said, we're at the bottom of the league in rush attempts. That has to change. It's not just running more, it's knowing when to run. I'm eager to see how O'Connell will fare in terms of situational play-calling.

I'm definitely the eternal optimist here, but I like what I've heard about the run game. 

We have 2 bad qbs and an unknown. Two of the qbs best friends are tes and rbs. All our tes have concussions, so let's get some rbs involved. We just happen to have a hof back in the backfield so I don't think it's a bag strategy to let him set things up. It's kinda what we were thinking we would be doing this year anyway. 

What I'm curtis about is the new te. It's interesting that this was the first move made after the coaching change. I'd be interested to see how soon he gets on the field. And how good his run blocking and catching are. Also it'll be interesting if we keep using Smallwood, if we bring back Bibbs, or the type of backs and TEs that KOC and Cali want. 

I was a Jay offense fan, but his flaw was running the ball and this year at discipline to that. If Cali can just fix those two areas it may at least make the games more watchable. Maybe we can lose 20-7 instead of 30+ to 7

11 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Yes, and if they change the rules to favor pass defenses, or run offenses, or if enough of the league swings dramatically entirely to pass defending, and passing to break the efficiency advantage of the passing game, then sure, dump it, and take advantage of the flaw, but right now, focusing on running the ball is deliberately ignoring evidence to pursue dinosaur dreams from the seventies and eighties. The NFL is still drunk w/coaches who refuse to learn a damn thing from data compared to other sports like Baseball and Basketball and its important to be on the cutting edge, rather than riding around in an effing Flintstone foot propelled car and that's exactly what we're doing and it's kind of hilarious. We eject the future HC's of the playoff bound Rams, 3-0 Niners, and the Packers dude if memory serves to keep a middling at best Jay Gruden and and even worse Callahan. It's just embarrassing how pathetic the franchise is. 

So I wanted to take a second to unpack this convo a little.  Regardless of how you get there in the modern day NFL, the overall consensus, and one I can't reject, is that you have more hope to win consistently in trying to beat teams 35-20 than you do 13-10. So ball control offenses are going the way of the dodo. Sure, I might be able to build a team that can rush for 150-200/game, win TOP 40-20... But still lose 21-13 because my offense can't score quick and the other team's can. The formula for winning with an old school offense is having a bad ass defense. Which, as I'm sure I don't need to point out, we don't have.

But, I think it's important to note that you can get to a consistent scoring offense while running the football. I know you're not suggesting otherwise, I am more expanding on the topic for those reading. 

Carolina and Jacksonville, for instance, are teams capable of throwing the ball around the field and scoring points. Their run games last week each featured close to 30 carries. The Jags threw the ball 44 times, the Panthers 30. The Panthers were close to a 1:1 ratio. The Vikings ran 34 times and threw 28. So in the modern context, I think "run the damn ball" has a bit of a different context.

Anyone who thinks you can go full 80's style, run the ball 54 times a game, and consistently win is stuck in the past.

But there needs to be some balance. And for the Redskins, saying run the ball, actually means running the football. We've run the ball 88 times and thrown 113 this season. And we've done neither well.

The issue, as stated above, is that this offensive line is NOT built to run the ball. Shaun Lauvao was the perfect guy for running the ball. But not great for pass protection. He was also injury prone as hell. But the issue the Skins have with going run heavy (heavy defined as actually being somewhat balanced in their playcalling) is that they don't ave the pieces to do it. You can run the ball down people's throats with Adrian Peterson. But not with the line. 

Unfortunately, our new HC is the guy who orchestrated this offensive line. He's also the guy who installed the run game. He's also the guy who is in charge of the most penalized unit on the field. 

If he doesn't choose to adapt, it's going to get ugly. Even uglier. Which could be viewed as a good or a bad thing with this franchise. I'm not sold they will do the right thing even if they get the first pick in the draft because Bruce Allen.

6 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Watch Callahan get the full time coaching gig after the season.  He will guide the team to a miraculous 4-12 record and will be branded a great head coach and leader.  Just seems like a Redskins thing that would happen.

It will be like Zorn when they said, he was so impressive during the interview they had to make him coach. When reality was no one wanted the job.

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Damn you may be right. Maybe I'm thinking of another situation entirely.

Well, based on Mr. Sinister’s link and this, looks like it was both. He changed the game plan at the last minute with no bye week and more importantly, he was too dumb and/or lazy to change the audibles and calls before the season, knowing another coach, with a grievance against his team no less, knew their offense inside and out. “Meh, they’re not on our schedule, so no need to worry about it.”🙄🙄 That’s Snyder-level brilliance right there.

...With no bye week between conference championship games and the Super Bowl (the last time that's happened), coach Bill Callahan didn't bother to change the Raiders' calls and signals that were installed by his predecessor Gruden. The result was the Bucs knew just about every offensive call the Raiders made and went on to intercept QB Rich Gannon a Super Bowl-record five times in a 48-21 rout.

With Al Davis gone, the passing of the stupidity torch may officially now be complete. Under Callahan's guidance, it's our turn to become the dumbest team in America.  It shouldn't be that difficult to attain, as we are the dumbest organization in all sports. The apples never fall far from the tree my friend.  I hope Callahan says that at his exit interview, or better yet, publicly like he did in Oakland.  Based on his super bowl game plan shuffle, he may be the dumbest Super Bowl coach ever.

Again, has anyone ever seen a stadium overrun like our is in every home game. In ANY sport. That sort of futility is reserved for the dumbest of the dumb.

aRpcrNvHHreH259-aT8Y_OriwZUBS-YRxOqJhhtV

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I was a Jay offense fan, but his flaw was running the ball and this year at discipline to that. If Cali can just fix those two areas it may at least make the games more watchable. Maybe we can lose 20-7 instead of 30+ to 7

The running game hasn't been good.  But the dude in charge of it was Callahan.   He had a big time reputation as an offensive line coach before he got here.   But the run game has really struggled.    It's been his baby the whole time.  I am gathering he's thinking it's not the players or the scheme but the lack of quantity of runs.   Will see.   

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The running game hasn't been good.  But the dude in charge of it was Callahan.   He had a big time reputation as an offensive line coach before he got here.   But the run game has really struggled.    It's been his baby the whole time.  I am gathering he's thinking it's not the players or the scheme but the lack of quantity of runs.   Will see.   

Agree, although production needs to be put into perspective given the opposition we are switching to this week. 

Archived