Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

13 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I never have been a fan of star wars..as a kid, teenager, young adult,now..just never have....so I never got the whole Yoda thing...yoooooda....

....who the **** is talking about yoda? Is there a joke I’m missing here? Or did you not know they’re talking about yoga? Yoga and yoda are two completely different things 😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I never have been a fan of star wars..as a kid, teenager, young adult,now..just never have....so I never got the whole Yoda thing...yoooooda....

Whao... hold right there tater-spud. Yoga is what Yoda taught Skywalker. Yoga master Callahan is. hmmmm.

9 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

....who the **** is talking about yoda? Is there a joke I’m missing here? Or did you not know they’re talking about yoga? Yoga and yoda are two completely different things 😂😂😂😂

Ahhh yooooga... sit on floor like this young master..lol

7 hours ago, zskins said:

Whao... hold right there tater-spud. Yoga is what Yoda taught Skywalker. Yoga master Callahan is. hmmmm.

How did you learn to sit like that?..yoga...ahhh sit on floor like this young master..ahhh uhhh haha yoooda..

Who needs TDs?  When teams are conceding the run to us, knowing we will run out clock on ourselves as we feebly try for comeback wins every week.  I am sure defenses are happy we have all but abandoned play action, to make our run=wins point.

Only Booze Allen would concede personnel moves to an interim coach.  But as Galdi said, why not to someone who is a part of the Tampa Oakland mafia.

It will be so us to overpay for Tomlin and then do the DC Dan-n-Dunce dance, and not let him have a say in personnel.

Dysfunction Junction, whats your Function?

dysfunction-jct.jpg

The thing with this running game/no TDs situation.  If Callahan was the new head coach, in the first year of a 5 year contract, and he was starting from ground level, building the offense, I would be okay with his current approach.  To me it would show a coach trying to build the identity of an offense and the strong running game was the first element.

The problem is Callahan is a holdover intermin coach that isn't likely to be here for much longer and whoever comes in next is going to be bringing a brand new offense and new scheme.  There is a rookie QB who is being done no favors only getting 15 pass attempts per game and not really being given a good chance to learn and/or try to make plays.

22 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The thing with this running game/no TDs situation.  If Callahan was the new head coach, in the first year of a 5 year contract, and he was starting from ground level, building the offense, I would be okay with his current approach.  To me it would show a coach trying to build the identity of an offense and the strong running game was the first element.

I can't even give him a pass if that was the case.  

You still have to do more to score, no matter what identity you are trying to build.  Unless the identity you are trying to build is one where your players lack any type of belief that they can win football games.

10 hours ago, hp703 said:

Where are all these boomers talking about an emphasis on smash mouth football and running non stop. Sorry this ain't football anymore.

I think there's a disconnect here.

Smash mouth football is not equal to what Callahan is doing. People are using the absolute wrong phrasing to describe a strategy and it causes a lot of confusion. Terms need to be defined to clearly indicate the ideas being communicated.

Smash mouth football should be defined as the act of aggressively attacking your opponent throughout the game with a plan that physical wears on the opposition. The emphasis on weakening the defense as the game moves forward to allow you to open up opportunities later in the game.

Spread football is the act of stretching a defensive horizontally in order to open opportunities throughout the course of a game without extolling the same physical toll, but attacking weaknesses.

What Callahan is doing is the emphasis on running the football. This has nothing to do with smash mouth football per the definition above. Teams like the 49ers play smash mouth football. They attack you for four quarters in all facets of the game. They physically wear you down for four quarters.

The reason why teams look like they run the ball so much in the modern game is simply due to the style they play. When you have a lead, late in the game, and you've successfully worn down an opponent you can run the ball much more. You get more carries. When you're a slow starting team or a team that plays behind, you throw more.

If I have more time later I can jump into this idea further.

But smash mouth and running the ball for the sake of running it aren't the same.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The reason why teams look like they run the ball so much in the modern game is simply due to the style they play. When you have a lead, late in the game, and you've successfully worn down an opponent you can run the ball much more. You get more carries. When you're a slow starting team or a team that plays behind, you throw more.

Traditionalists will tell you that the run game is vital to pounding an opponent into submission and that running the ball will lead to wins. But there’s no disputing that the running game matters less in today’s game. The game rules have been changed to make passing easier and more efficient and the CBA rules limit contact in practice, which makes it a lot more difficult for offenses to refine a physical run game.

...I collected the research of several top football analytics experts to see what the numbers say and talked to several former and current NFL players and coaches to get their side of the argument.

What does the analytics say about the value of the run game?

Passing is more efficient than running and leads to more points

The most obvious evidence that passing is more efficient than running is simply that pass attempts average more yards than run attempts. Passing attempts have increased for many reasons, including rules changes that limit contact from defensive backs and protect receivers from vicious hits.

Josh Hermsmeyer writes for FiveThirtyEight and has consulted with NFL teams. He did a study on the scoring trend in his book “The League” and found that passing attempts have increased year over year in nearly every season from 2009 to 2016. During that time scoring has increased by 9.2 percent. The increase in passing isn’t the only reason that scoring has gone up, but it’s played a large role.

It’s commonly accepted that a pass play is riskier than a run play because of the chance of a sack, fumble or interception. While it’s inherently true that there is a greater range of possibilities that could lead to negative plays when passing the ball, teams have actually become more efficient as they’ve passed more.

“Touchdown percentage (TD%) has increased slightly while Interception percentage (INT%) has decreased,” wrote Hermsmeyer. “The net effect is that there has been an increase in TD/INT Ratio from 2009 to 2016 of 40%. Passers in the NFL now throw almost twice as many TDs as INTs on average.” Completion percentage has also increased every year in the same sample.

Hermsmeyer’s study concluded that:

1. Offensive scoring in the NFL has increased over time.
  2. The rise of passing is responsible for the increase.
  3. Passing the ball is far more efficient than running.
  4. As the league has begun passing more it has not seen a decrease in passing efficiency. Instead, teams have become more efficient at gaining yards and scoring points through the air.

It seems that as NFL football has evolved, coaches are figuring out more efficient ways of attacking defenses with the passing game while quarterbacks are getting better. This could be attributed to more passing and better coaching at the lower levels. Whatever the reasons might be, there is hard evidence that the NFL as a whole is becoming better at passing, and this trend will likely continue.

Running does not correlate with winning

In their own separate studies, Warren Sharp, who runs his own website and has also been a consultant for NFL teams, and Timo Riske, who is a doctoral student from Mainz, Germany, both found that establishing the run did not correlate with winning. Using data from 2011 to 2014, Sharp ran regressions on yards per rush attempt and wins, total rushing yards and wins, and yards per pass attempt and wins. He was not surprised to find that only yards per pass attempt correlated with winning.

“(Over the) last three years we find no connection, relationship or correlation between teams who run the ball well and teams who win the most games,” concluded Sharp. “Running is used to complement passing, but passing is what determines wins and losses in today’s NFL.”

The Athletic’s Ben Baldwin, who has written for Football Outsiders, talked about Riske’s work in his recent article about the dark web of NFL analytics. Riske found that the best predictor for how good a team will be is how effective its passing game was in the past. He concluded like most analytics experts that:

1. In a given game, passing efficiency predicts the winner to a much greater extent than rushing efficiency.

2. A strong passing offense is much more likely to persist over time than other units.

The analytics suggests that a team’s best chance at sustained success comes by investing in the passing game. This is why a very good to elite quarterback could set a franchise up for success for a long time, but investing in the passing game also means surrounding a quarterback with weapons and protecting him.

...With all that said, here are the recommendations from the analytics community:

1. Don’t invest heavily in your run game because it doesn’t correlate with winning

2. Use more play action because it’s more effective than drop-back passing and it has proved to work without having to “establish the run”

3. Don’t run the ball into eight-man boxes

4. Test the limits of passing, don’t force the run “unnecessarily”

5. Use the pass to set up the run (run when defenses start to adjust to pass)

6. Deception in all its forms is the most important element in offense

7. The run game is valuable in short-yardage situations, in the red zone and for running out the clock.

https://theathletic.com/980870/2019/07/26/teams-dont-have-to-establish-the-run-to-win-games-and-the-analytics-proves-it-but-the-run-isnt-dead-either/

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Does anyone here think we will trade for Tomlin? Would cost two firsts and at least a 2nd...

I don't think the Steelers organization would trade a coach like Tomlin who's amassed a 129-70 record (to this point), and won them a Superbowl, to this ****-pile organization.  It would be out of character for them and quite honestly a really mean thing to do.  I say at worst the Steelers finish 8-8 this season,...with out Ben, so, why would they want to get rid of Tomlin?

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/news/exposing-false-redskins-theories/

If the Redskins had a good quarterback situation and were healthy on offense, they would. They don't, so they smartly choose to expose their weaknesses less.

11 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I like Russell.  And I got no issue with the run the ball approach with Haskins in the fold if its all about him, especially last week, but eventually you got to unleash him IMO.  But Russell is being a bit disingenuous there because he's a run the ball dude in any context.  In fact its a running joke with his colleagues for years on 106.7.  they constantly goof on him about it, hey Russell the Redskins ran the ball 30 times, that's your kind of game.  He was like that with Kirk here, everyone. 

There was a PFF guy who disputed some of Russell's stats I noticed after he posted that but i can't find that tweet, I'll keep digging

So why is the run game working better under Callahan?  Is it because we’re running more on 2nd down?  Or using AP more (and in a way that suits his style better)?  Or has he focused on certain types of runs?  Is he calling runs better suited to our blockers?  Using more blockers?  All/some of the above?

I’m not high on our oline, but the run game production is a bit promising in terms of looking to the future.  Of course, who know what our oline looks like next year or what our next coach brings to the table.  Run game seemed to mostly suck under Gruden though, so seeing it improve has given me some hope that it can be a help to whoever our qb/coach is next year.

(better than lacking a run game, having only 1 weapon in the passing game, a defense that was still struggling and major question marks at qb... felt like we were at square one)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived