Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

You can bet, for sure, that Bruce Allen is going to get real smug if the Skins beat the Dolphins this week. "See? It was Gruden's fault! Bill Callahan will right this ship and make everything *I* did great again!"

If they lose to the Dolphins it will be, "Damnit, someone check Doug's time card to make sure he's been in the building, the guy is never ****ing here! And where the **** is Kyle?! He can't even spell scout! And Bill was just as big of a problem as Gruden! All of them blow! This is on their shoulders!!"

6 hours ago, zskins said:

Rooney Rule would prevent him being named the head coach. So he is interim. The writers for Redskins.com are wrong here. 

Didn't know that. But he really can't be the coach. He even said he is interim in his presser. Who knows what is what with Allen at the helm, I guess...lol

I think KOC calling plays is like me deciding the best play calls for Haskins. Squashed by folks at the top.

If Callahan is trying to salvage the season and make the playoffs, why would he give play calling duties to someone that has never done that before?  I think the by committee approach remains, and that announcing him as the play caller is merely chapter 4 in Bruce's upcoming autobiography, Chasing Sean McVay.  Callahan saying that mere hours after being named coach points to Cally saying that as a directive from Bruce. Trying to look like a competent GM, so we don't fear losing yet another competent OC for an old stiff. Kevin is probably thinking get me the **** out of here. 

At the same time we "give" control to Kevin, Cally says we are going to run the ball. Big red Penalty flag.  So I question just how much leeway PCKOC will have in deciding game day play calls. We should see him in the booth, lips moving after every single snap, right?

IIRC Kevin said he wanted to pass on first downs.

17 hours ago, London Kev said:

I see a lot of ridicule regarding the idea of becoming a running team, but did anyone see the Colts game yesterday?

They rushed 45 times for 180 yards, controlled the clock (37:15) and beat a very good Chiefs team, all with Jacoby Brissett (a 3rd round pick) at QB. Admittedly they've invested three first-round draft picks in the O-Line, but a run-heavy approach can be successful, even in today's NFL.

Worked pretty well for the 49ers last night as well (40 times for 275 yards).  Maybe we can get there eventually if we can get our o-line sorted.  Should make it easier on Haskins (or any of our QBs for that matter).

10 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

https://goldengatesports.com/2013/01/22/tim-brown-claims-bill-callahan-sabotaged-super-bowl-xxxvii-jerry-rice-agrees/

Apparently Barret Robbins "psychotic break was also at least partially due to him being pissed at Callahan. Whatever went down, I think they legit viewed him as a weasel.

It's a bit off topic, but my understanding of it has always been, Barrett suffered from bipolar disorder and the chaos surrounding the game, and last minute changes, and pain treatments likely contributed heavily to a break that had already happened once before:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/12/16/untold-super-bowl-barret-robbins-raiders

FTR, a year from now we'll have Guice and Love, at that point, if we've also added some talent to the OL via free agency/the draft, running the ball more will make sense. Right now we have an 800 year old RB, an elite but injury prone satellite back, a poor OL, and bad QB's and no TE's. There's literally nothing that can be done to salvage any of this other than to roll out the kids at WR and see how many keepers. When we have a 100% Guice (probably offseason 2021, maybe by December) and Love and that line, then we can actually try to build a running game. Right now the running game should just be used to help provide our kiddie WR's w/relatively reasonable coverages to beat, we shouldn't be leaning on it for anything other than that as its a fools errand. I don't mind though, a bad coach making bad decisions gives us a better chance at 0-16 or 1-15, and Tua, so I'll take that over smart decision making. 

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

It's a bit off topic, but my understanding of it has always been, Barrett suffered from bipolar disorder and the chaos surrounding the game, and last minute changes, and pain treatments likely contributed heavily to a break that had already happened once before:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/12/16/untold-super-bowl-barret-robbins-raiders

Ahh, okay, thanks. I have that too, but it's under control. Can't imagine playing pro football (w/ everything that comes with that life) and having to deal with it

6 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Depending on the outcome of the season, D Hall believes Callahan may be the full time coach. Another Bruce lackey from Oakland

"Jay went in there and said, 'It's either me or Coach Callahan,' last year." Soooooooo. How he said that last year. How did it end up with Jay and Callahan this year?

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The running game hasn't been good.  But the dude in charge of it was Callahan.   He had a big time reputation as an offensive line coach before he got here.   But the run game has really struggled.    It's been his baby the whole time.  I am gathering he's thinking it's not the players or the scheme but the lack of quantity of runs.   Will see.   

Very true, but I'm skeptical as to whose fault that was. I don't have much confidence in Cali, especially with his SB team being one that was heavily pass oriented and rumors being that it was straight out of the Gruden playbook. But that said, we don't know how much he was listened to or what the true breakdown of responsibilities was (we still don't know).

But I'm just saying philosophically that its good to have a good RB and TE to lean on when your QBs suck. And what Cali said is also true, some guys like Thompson can get going after one run or on a draw play. Other guys like AP and RBs we've had in the past need to get into a groove. This was the thing with Portis. He hates leaving the game because it messed up his groove. I think if we can get AP 20-25 carries a game we can easily see him getting back into the 4-4.5 ypc average. 

31 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Depending on the outcome of the season, D Hall believes Callahan may be the full time coach. Another Bruce lackey from Oakland

So somebody will take the job. There's one check. Now who will take the job as DC? And will he keep KOC as OC? 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

But I'm just saying philosophically that its good to have a good RB and TE to lean on when your QBs suck. And what Cali said is also true, some guys like Thompson can get going after one run or on a draw play. Other guys like AP and RBs we've had in the past need to get into a groove. This was the thing with Portis. He hates leaving the game because it messed up his groove. I think if we can get AP 20-25 carries a game we can easily see him getting back into the 4-4.5 ypc average. 

Could be.  Shanny's favorite line about running the ball is keep doing it and it will work better.  

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

"Jay went in there and said, 'It's either me or Coach Callahan,' last year." Soooooooo. How he said that last year. How did it end up with Jay and Callahan this year?

Bruce pulled out a copy of Jay's contract and reminded him what would happen to the rest of his guaranteed salary if he walked.

15 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Watch Callahan get the full time coaching gig after the season.  He will guide the team to a miraculous 4-12 record and will be branded a great head coach and leader.  Just seems like a Redskins thing that would happen.

No one will be seriously interested so Callahan will be crowned the head coach they wanted all along. Not at all implausible when you consider the recent history with the DC. 

14 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

No one will be seriously interested so Callahan will be crowned the head coach they wanted all along. Not at all implausible when you consider the recent history with the DC. 

Yeah, Callahan is a Bruce guy, too.  Maybe they hire Raheem Morris (Tampa connection) to run the defense and then talk about how close they are leading into 2020. 

5 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Would not shock me, and don't think it's a bad idea. 

Name KOC the Assistant HC/offensive coordinator, and give him another year or two to get ready to take over. 

16 hours ago, dyst said:

It will be like Zorn when they said, he was so impressive during the interview they had to make him coach. When reality was no one wanted the job.

Because to think that our buffoons were truly impressed by Jim Zorn would be too much for a fans mind to handle, even with 12 additional years of evidential proof of the buffoonery.

:cheers:

Archived