Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Fine with me. I think Tua or even Herbert are far better prospects than Haskins.

Can't we give Haskins an opportunity to play before we write him off?  Haskins has flashed some ability in his very limited action, let's give him an opportunity to succeed in 2019 and 2020 before even thinking about another guy.

49 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

For 7 figures I'd work for Snyder also.

Not if you had other options and didn’t really need the dough. He almost certainly would have other options and given his age and length of career, isn’t likely to need the extra cash enough to suffer being a HC under a toxic boss like Snyder with an incompetent boob as #2 waiting to backstab you and throw you under the bus at every turn to cover up his own incompetence. If you’re a popcorn guy or a salesperson then, yeah, you jump at this “opportunity”.

36 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2 coaches in 10 years.  

One of which lasted into his 6th season when he should have been fired after his 3rd.  

This "Dan fires coaches willy nilly" thing is so 2001.  

And he's reluctant to do anything about anything now because he is still trying to live down the mistakes from 20 years ago. 

He's making new, different mistakes now.  I suggest we pick on those.

He’s still a toxic personality more interested in being seen as smart and kickin’ it with star players than winning. That’ll likely never change. It’s who he is.

1 hour ago, ashlynskins said:

I liked what I heard from Callahan ... specially when he said wants to establish a identity and run the ball... be a 2 down team, 1st down then 2nd down back to 1st down and saying you have to be willing and able to run the football

Everyone can dream.

Callahan has been in charge of OL and running game for 6 years. Two things happened:

- Our running game sucked from the beginning and still is.

- Our OL has been more injured than ever.

And the guy wants to run more?

0-16 here we come. That'll be ugly. Who's gonna be the next interim interim coach?

2 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Can't we give Haskins an opportunity to play before we write him off?  Haskins has flashed some ability in his very limited action, let's give him an opportunity to succeed in 2019 and 2020 before even thinking about another guy.

Josh Rosen 2.0 here we come again!

51 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, my (essentially worthless) take on Callahan being chosen over O'Connell- I read into it that Bruce isn't at all worried about his job. If he was, he would go with the splashier, swing for the fences kind of hire. Being content to limp thru the season with a lame retread like Callahan tells me he thinks he's here next year regardless.

Not that any of that is surprising, really. 

I agree.  I think we can all see how the Skins are "that close" and just need a better coach than Gruden to transform all of Bruce's winning off the field into winning on the field.

Bill Callahan is a loud mouthed imbicile who's just going to annoy players, while acting like an asshole. The guys was a post turtle for the raiders and has oversaw an embarrassing running game for 6 years while crippling talented lineman. He can shout all the cliches he wants and stomp around like a bully. 

We better not **** up our draft pick for the next coach.

I see a lot of ridicule regarding the idea of becoming a running team, but did anyone see the Colts game yesterday?

They rushed 45 times for 180 yards, controlled the clock (37:15) and beat a very good Chiefs team, all with Jacoby Brissett (a 3rd round pick) at QB. Admittedly they've invested three first-round draft picks in the O-Line, but a run-heavy approach can be successful, even in today's NFL.

1 minute ago, London Kev said:

I see a lot of ridicule regarding the idea of becoming a running team, but did anyone see the Colts game yesterday?

They rushed 45 times for 180 yards, controlled the clock (37:15) and beat a very good Chiefs team, all with Jacoby Brissett (a 3rd round pick) at QB. Admittedly they've invested three first-round draft picks in the O-Line, but a run-heavy approach can be successful, even in today's NFL.

This got caught at the bottom of the last page, but it's my thoughts on the topic:

They've invested a lot in their OL, and have a dynamic RB. Plus, their defense kept things close against the best offense in the league (a gimpy Mahomes helped). Meanwhile we're going to have to trade away our stud LT, we're on the verge of letting our blue chip RG go, our RT is a mess of idiotic penalties committed to make up for slow and sloppy hands and footwork, our Center is passable but replacement-level, and arguably our best player on the line right now is our reclamation project LG who nearly busted out of the league but is now just not absolutely awful, which is an upgrade to us. Oh, and all those guys are just constantly knicked up and injured. 

So...yeah, it would take some work to get to the point where the Colts are. The Colts have a great HC cooking up groceries brought in by one of the best FO's in the league, helmed by Chris Ballard. They are weathering the storm of losing their all-time prospect QB Andrew Luck as if it just didn't happen out of the blue a mere week or two before the season was to start, because they've got one of the most talented and sensibly built rosters in the entire NFL, while still having plenty of draft picks and cap space in their future. 

I agree it was amazing to watch, and maybe what we should aspire to be if we can't luck into an insanely good franchise QB one way or another. But we just aren't built for it, in terms of the 53 and organizationally. 

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Since we're tryin to tank it, can we re-sign Riggins, and make the Skins-Fins re-match a bit more nostalgic, while still accomplishing the tank ?

Unfortunately, most likely not trying. But they should. 

Mandatory Shrine game rules for both teams. Mandate all under-center snaps for each qb/team. Suspend all defensive pass interference penalties.

Throwback. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

This got caught at the bottom of the last page, but it's my thoughts on the topic:

They've invested a lot in their OL, and have a dynamic RB. Plus, their defense kept things close against the best offense in the league (a gimpy Mahomes helped). Meanwhile we're going to have to trade away our stud LT, we're on the verge of letting our blue chip RG go, our RT is a mess of idiotic penalties committed to make up for slow and sloppy hands and footwork, our Center is passable but replacement-level, and arguably our best player on the line right now is our reclamation project LG who nearly busted out of the league but is now just not absolutely awful, which is an upgrade to us. Oh, and all those guys are just constantly knicked up and injured. 

So...yeah, it would take some work to get to the point where the Colts are. The Colts have a great HC cooking up groceries brought in by one of the best FO's in the league, helmed by Chris Ballard. They are weathering the storm of losing their all-time prospect QB Andrew Luck as if it just didn't happen out of the blue a mere week or two before the season was to start, because they've got one of the most talented and sensibly built rosters in the entire NFL, while still having plenty of draft picks and cap space in their future. 

I agree it was amazing to watch, and maybe what we should aspire to be if we can't luck into an insanely good franchise QB one way or another. But we just aren't built for it, in terms of the 53 and organizationally. 

All good points and I agree with you.

I was more making the point that the concept is a sound one and not just for the big shoulders of the 1980's. Are we ready to make the transition right now? Probably not, but I wouldn't mind it if we gave it a go. I mean what have we got to lose?

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think an identity running the football is ****ing great. Except to do it you need to be built for it. The only part of this team that is built for a power attack is Adrian Peterson. 

im not worried though. We’ll throw to McLaurin, our best offensive weapons... on third down. 

If you want to ignore what is most efficient and effective, than sure it's great, otherwise it's pure foolishness. The #1 most effective play on 1st down is a dump off to the RB. Nothing else is more efficient. The #1 least efficient play on 1st down is a run. Period. 

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

If you want to ignore what is most efficient and effective, than sure it's great, otherwise it's pure foolishness. The #1 most effective play on 1st down is a dump off to the RB. Nothing else is more efficient. The #1 least efficient play on 1st down is a run. Period. 

don’t necessarily disagree (though I’d like to see the empirical data on that stat). But the key point of what I said is personnel. If you’re not built to run, it won’t be efficient. 

It’s also important to note that football is a cyclical game. 

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

Yes, yes, that result trumps literally hundreds upon hundreds of games of evidence. 

Great Game Plan. Great Team. Not great Passing QB, and they win. Nice job. 

It doesn't, however, invalidate literally tanker ships of data emphasizing the inefficiency of run 1st offense's, particularly run on first down offenses. 

Sorry to be a pr1ck possibly here, but come on man, that's literally a single game of evidence, and it's utilizing one of the best OL's, and best run blocking units in the NFL playing against a dog ---- defense missing key defensive components that once made it competent. The game is one piece of data, like focusing on a drop of water on your counter when the ocean is rolling up on the front door of your Miami Beach house. 

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

don’t necessarily disagree (though I’d like to see the empirical data on that stat). But the key point of what I said is personnel. If you’re not built to run, it won’t be efficient. 

It’s also important to note that football is a cyclical game. 

Yes, and if they change the rules to favor pass defenses, or run offenses, or if enough of the league swings dramatically entirely to pass defending, and passing to break the efficiency advantage of the passing game, then sure, dump it, and take advantage of the flaw, but right now, focusing on running the ball is deliberately ignoring evidence to pursue dinosaur dreams from the seventies and eighties. The NFL is still drunk w/coaches who refuse to learn a damn thing from data compared to other sports like Baseball and Basketball and its important to be on the cutting edge, rather than riding around in an effing Flintstone foot propelled car and that's exactly what we're doing and it's kind of hilarious. We eject the future HC's of the playoff bound Rams, 3-0 Niners, and the Packers dude if memory serves to keep a middling at best Jay Gruden and and even worse Callahan. It's just embarrassing how pathetic the franchise is. 

I think that our roster talent wise is much better than people realize and that parity overall in the nfl is high.

However, i dont think we have the talent level to successfully pull off a run first offensive approach. It is just too difficult in today's nfl. Few teams can do it, the seahawks being the best example. It only works for them because of Wilson's ability to capitalize when needed. We won't have that. 

Awarding a coach whose unit has been dreadful is also a little head scratching. 

Additionally, if haskins is so far away that he isn't even in the starting conversation than it is a little strange that we took him in the first round considering the scouting available to NFL teams nowadays. 

6 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think that our roster talent wise is much better than people realize 

This is kind of puzzling when you match it up with this...

6 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

However, i dont think we have the talent level to successfully pull off a run first offensive approach.

...and when you consider that we also don't have the talent level to successfully pull off a pass first offensive approach, either. 

So that's an entire half of the roster that isn't cut out to do anything well right now. 

How talented can a 53 man roster be that is at least half garbage? And that's conservative, assuming the D is much more talented than Manusky allows them to look. Who knows how true that even is.

It sounds like Cally is going to run the ball no matter what. He blamed Jay for not committing to the run so will likely feel pressure to stick with it even if its not working.  He was saying he doesnt want to get to 3rd down; convert after 2 plays instead.  Sounds impossible.

I predict 33 attempts for 55 yards and 5 holding penalties on runs vs the Fins. Net 5 for a .1515 average.

Callahan is definitely old school and that's probably what out "culture" needs.  At least he seemed competent during his first press conference as the interim head coach.  I never got a feeling of competence when listening to Jay.  We got better before he does anything just because Jay is not calling plays.  Running the ball more sounds great if you can do it when everybody on the field doesn't know you are going to run.  He is not going to fire any other position coaches in his first eight hours, that doesn't mean he doesn't see the glaring problem in front of him.

it seemed interesting to me the one change in practice he chose to mention was preparing for the team that they are playing, both offensively and defensively.  Did this not happen on Gruden's watch?   No wonder they always look unprepared; they were.

I would have have liked to ask him one question, Do you believe in or have any experience in making in game adjustments when things aren't working?  If he can answer this positively we are already better than we were yesterday.

i consider this a tryout for our new play caller for the head coaching position at the end of the year.

At this point I don't think the Redskins and even tank correctly so they probably beat Miami.

7 minutes ago, evmiii said:

We got better before he does anything just because Jay is not calling plays.  Running the ball more sounds great if you can do it when everybody on the field doesn't know you are going to run.

I wouldn't be so sure of this. Callahan essentially boasted we'd run on 1st and 2nd down and only pass when we need to, if we ever even needed 3rd down (lol). That's as predictable as it gets and possibly even worse than the tendencies we killed Gruden for. 

Now, he ALSO said KOC would be the playcaller. So we'll have to see how much of that presser was juat bluster and how much was a mandate KOC will have to follow. 

47 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I wouldn't be so sure of this. Callahan essentially boasted we'd run on 1st and 2nd down and only pass when we need to, if we ever even needed 3rd down (lol).

Silly rabbit. Isn’t it obvious to you that 3.2 + 3.2 is greater than or equal to 10?

Archived