Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

At 0-5 and the season over as far as post-season prospects go, I am interested to see how the team responds to an interim coach, one that seems so far to  be pulling the "you guys need discipline" routine, when I am sure most players don't expect him to be the HC beyond the remainder of this year.

Do they buckle down and play with a chip on their shoulder to try and prove they are better than the 0-5 start indicates or do they go through the motions and try to get to the end of the season as quick as possible, with mystery and intrigue waiting on the horizon?

9 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

If he makes it that long. 

There's no reason for letting an interim coach go during the rest of the season, regardless of what his record is.  His job is to steward this steaming pile to the end of the season because someone has to be coach.

9 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

If he makes it that long

17 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

Crazy how we never practiced in pads though, Like the way Bill is going about this

If we do get results from this, I sure hope he don't get the head coaching job next year though

There are league rules in regards to padded practices.

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-great-nfl-conundrum-injury.html

The rules, which notably limited full-padded practice to once per day during off season and a total of 14 during the regular season, would change the way the game was played, critics warned—and to its detriment.

16 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

Crazy how we never practiced in pads though, Like the way Bill is going about this

If we do get results from this, I sure hope he don't get the head coaching job next year though

That's incorrect in that the team never practices in pads, there is also a maximum amount of padded practices allowed.  It used to be 14, may be less now.

Short of going on a monumental playoff run in these final 11 games, the only way Callahan gets hired is if nobody else will accept it.

I don't have any problem with Callahan going smash mouth, except 80s smash mouth versus modern smashmouth are slightly different. Running on first and second down and throwing on third down was the 80s oversimplified until Walsh started to really change some things and his approach get noticed.

Modern smash mouth involves having a point of entry back. A point of entry back is a running back that is a bit of a bruiser, but does better when he gets to the hole clean and his engine is revved and he's going down hill. Typically, you'll want a fullback on the field to do that. One difference here versus 80s style is you may not also have a TE on the field, or you may but maybe he's split out as a receiver depending on who your personnel are.

These point of entry backs CAN run from shotgun, but much less effectively. They don't get downhill as well and it's tougher to get to the hole clean as backers are actively shooting gaps. So being under center helps.

This also eases the burden on a quarterback that you're looking to try to develop. It can obviously be done from the gun, too, but it's a bit different angle wise.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have a PoE back. They also now have a QB that they'd like to protect a little. The Washington Redskins have a PoE back. They also will eventually have a QB that they'd like to protect a little.

The Redskins, however, don't have a fullback to lead him clean. You can say Ryan Anderson, but they'd have to commit to using him in that role. 

Now, when doing this, you have to have versatile backs in the sense that they can receive passes. The Skins have that in AP, not sure about Anderson. But if a fullback is a threat is helps other teams respect it. And a good fullback can pass protect or catch arrow routes (something that Haskins has displayed a tremendous knack for completing in his sleep).

This is a way I envisioned us using a Guice/AP combo before the season started. dual threats in both directions, but there are probably some concerns about pass protection there. And you don't want either one of those guys leading the other through a hole...But it's a variation of the concept. It's also a personnel thing when you can split Thompson out to the slot.

To properly execute the modernized version, though, you have to understand that throwing the football is an important aspect of football today. Ball control systems are tough to be consistent with nowadays because you will always have games where you just don't find paydirt or your D isn't on point and winning 13-10 isn't an option. In the modern era its more consistent to aim for offenses that can score points routinely... But that doesn't mean not running downhill. It means using your personnel to your advantage.

San Francisco is doing a great job with this. Jacksonville is now. Minnesota isn't doing too bad with the concept. Callahan has said he his system is about attempts vs. yards per carry... I think this is a significant error. It should be about the quality of runs, not the quantity. The team has to score to win, but I don't disagree with the overall premise of running the ball more effectively.

What Callahan is doing isn't revolutionary, but needed with this team. Regardless what jokes Danny and Brucie are, Gruden was an absolute goober and way too easy on this team. I don't understand how people can continue to think "But for Danny and Brucei, Gruden would be a magnificent coach."

The guy was a turd of a HC, regardless Danny and Brucie.

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't have any problem with Callahan going smash mouth, except 80s smash mouth versus modern smashmouth are slightly different. Running on first and second down and running on third down was the 80s oversimplified until Walsh started to really change some things and his approach get noticed.

As bang on and informative as ever Coach but I think we need to hold fire until 3 or 4 games in to get a real feel for what Callahan will run. (No pun intended,). 

I think he's just wanting to instil the fundaments right now to get back to having a proper running threat. But he's not naive enough after all his time in this league to negate the passing game and just run for the sake of running per se. 

I see it far more of him jumping feet first in with this opportunity that's presented itself to change the culture here, on the field at least, into a hard-working, hard-nosed professional football team again finally. And re-establishing the ability to run the ball (forget the % of what we've done to this point in 2019. I think we'll see the run game changed up in how we attack teams) is a pivotal foundation to that end. 

Hail. 

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

How can people NOT be enthused by his first week on the job and the immediate changes he's made? (That should NEVER have had to of made in the first place. Which just reiterates just HOW big a part of the problem Gruden was with the totally lax ship he ran.). 

Hail. 

This is a good post..thank you...I'm enthused for sure..it won't say much if the skins win sunday..maybe a little but not much...but if we give the niners or lions a run for there money let alone win it will speak volumes.

28 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

How can people NOT be enthused by his first week on the job and the immediate changes he's made? (That should NEVER have had to of made in the first place. Which just reiterates just HOW big a part of the problem Gruden was with the totally lax ship he ran.). 

Hail. 

It certainly appears that way. Get a little energy back in that building, cause regardless of your feelings toward the FO there is no freaking way they are as bad as they have been the past 4.5 weeks. That’s the worst Redskins football team I’ve laid eyes on, and it’s not the least talented.

52 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

This is a good post..thank you...I'm enthused for sure..it won't say much if the skins win sunday..maybe a little but not much...but if we give the niners or lions a run for there money let alone win it will speak volumes.

I think you're ultimately thinking the same thing as I am but I'll refrain from openly saying it to save getting shouted down by the understandable masses, 

Hail. 

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I think you're ultimately thinking the same thing as I am but I'll refrain from openly saying it to save getting shouted down by the understandable masses, 

Hail. 

Saying what?..u can pm me...you have me curious now...cant tell what ur getting at here...I wasnt being sarcastic at all..not trying to

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If O'Connell was the coach I'd feel differently about winning now.  But I don't think we are establishing anything long term with Callahan.   49ers stunk last year, added a stud and made a good unit special and now are undefeated.  Their psyche handled the bad season fine.  They are likely going to smoke us in about 10 days.   

I disagree with this in two contexts: I think that there is benefit to Callahan finishing strong, even if he is not in the running for the job full time. Honestly though I don't think he should be out of it. But thats a different response. 

a) Players. 
We have a young team, or at least a team with a lot of youth on it. And while many of the players come from winning programs, these players haven't seen winning in the NFL. I'm not saying that they're going to see that this season, but if they grow to expect the Gruden-like practices it makes it more difficult for the next coach to come in here and establish a more difficult regime. And we saw what happened with (many of) these same players when Gruden tried to get more difficult in practice. 

b) A learning coach. 
This is somewhere that KOC differs from McVay. McVay worked under Shanny (and I think the other Gruden) and had a number more years of coaching at the pro level. So he had his own ideas of how practice should be run, handling personalities and stuff. Basically he's seen better coaches do it with a number of different styles. And on top of that he could talk with Kyle Shanahan and Mike about this. Who on this staff can this discussion be with? Maybe you can say Horton and Ryan, but who else on the staff has ever been mentioned as a HC candidate that they'd be discussing how they'd put together a practice schedle. I think it helps to groom KOC into a good coach that he is seeing a somewhat entirely different philosophy as to how the HC runs the team. If we are going to go ahead with KOC, I want Cali, who at least has a SB appearance on his resume, to take him under his wing and teach him a lot of stuff about the game. 

People are joking on Cali right now acting like he's making Gruden level mistakes with his press conferences, but I I like what I hear. Its kinda like what Doc was saying though in that we can't judge anything until Monday, or at earliest Sunday at 4. But there's a certain mentality with stuff like saying "we're a running team". OLmen love to run the ball because it gives them more of an aggressive mentality. And I don't mean run the ball in like draw plays and sweeps. If we cna get some runs up the middle in the first quarter that start to wear down a defense it can change the mentality. I'm not talking about W/L. Its about the type of team we are. 

And I love Galdi but I think he's wrong here. We had McCoy get 4.5 ypa on Sunday. Sure that's better than most running plays, especially for us. But thatnever even tries to get Peterson into a rhythm, it makes the OL play on their heels, and its getting the QB hurt. We've got Smith, McCoy, Johnson, and Keenum hurt in like 12 weeks. Yeah that's probably a stretch of bad luck but its also saying that we need to do more to protect our QBs. 

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I disagree with this in two contexts: I think that there is benefit to Callahan finishing strong, even if he is not in the running for the job full time. Honestly though I don't think he should be out of it. But thats a different response. 

With the obvious caveat of 'He's not yet coached a game in DC', call me deluded,  but I honestly don't see why he wouldn't be in the running as I type?

And, God willing, by the season's end, that will be on merit and not through any cronyism from Allen 

Hail. 

Archived