Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Has been confirmed as official, that he's HC and not just interim ? Or just a mis-communication ?

It's Interim.

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's already clear there will be a confusion of roles on the fan side, which will prevent us from really knowing if KOC is interesting as a playcaller or not.

You cannot say that O'Connell is a bright young mind and will call the plays and ALSO put out a mandate that we will run the ball 20-30 times a game, especially on 1st and 2nd down (ugh). Those are not compatible things. 

So O'Connell will essentially call the type of play Callahan tells him to, and we won't really know what his style is at all. 

Yeah, though I'm not entirely sure if that's not somewhat bravado and playing to the crowd of "RUN THE DAMN BALL" people who are still stuck in 1982.  (Bruce might be one of those people, btw.)

If you remember the year Callahan coached the Raiders to the SB, they passed A LOT.  Like, A LOT A LOT.  With Rich freaking Gannon. So I don't think it would be out of character for Callahan to want to throw the ball a bit also.  

In a vacuum, I'd like to see 20-30 running plays a game. My issue has never been with running the ball, it's been with when they run the ball. And the fact that it hasn't worked.  If it works, then do it more, I say.  

There is one other thing Callahan said which was very nuanced it was easy to miss, but he said something about using APs skill set more.  Almost like they weren't actually doing what AP did best, and he was going to try and do more of what AP does well, which should help.  I might be reading between the lines there, but it certainly seemed like we might see more formations AP prefers.  

We will not know this until it happens, but I leave open the possibility that Jay hated everything Bill came up with, and just called his own running plays because they fit his system.  So maybe, just maybe, (hopefully?) the running game starts to work more because while Jay is a great passing game coordinator, he stinks at the running game.  Again, I have no idea if that's true or not. Time will tell.  But we know Jay and Bill didn't see eye to eye.  Maybe Bill knew what he was doing, and Jay didn't utilize it?  

The other option is Bill is a complete idiot and they'll do the same things over and over and continue to fail and we won't know anything. :)

21 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I have this terrible sinking feeling that Callahan is going to be the permanent HC.  It would be so typical of this FO to do that.  Maybe a new DC, and some minor tweaks but a lot of the same faces will be back.  Instead of doing the right thing and cleaning house from Bruce Snyder all the way down to the towel boy, I can see the same old story and we'll be right back here in a few years.

Sorry, I had to fix that for ya.🙂

Aside from the other million issues, I think this season was lost from the moment the team failed to address the Trent situation in the way normal people with more than two brain cells would. His absence doomed us in pass pro. Not good for a pass first coach.

14 minutes ago, ashlynskins said:

I liked what I heard from Callahan ... specially when he said wants to establish a identity and run the ball... be a 2 down team, 1st down then 2nd down back to 1st down and saying you have to be willing and able to run the football

🤣 Man fans really ARE stuck in the 80's.

Callahan Presser Round-up:

1. No Dwayne. Not anytime soon.  However, what seems to be a re-commitment to getting him more reps in practice and developing him more.  I actually thought he answered teh question very coherently when saying Dwayne wasn't ready to start.  He was asked if Dwayne was in the mix to start, and just said no, and then said he wasn't ready.  But also outlined a bit about how he's going to work to develop Dwayne in practice.  I thought it was a good answer.  

2. Whoever is healthier between Case and Colt will start.  

3. Run the damn ball.  Run it, then run it some more, then run it some more. That's what he said.  I don't know if that's what he's going to really do, but that's what he wants to do.

4. KO will call plays.

5. Manusky has dirty pictures of everybody because it's the only way he still has a job.

6. They're going to instill more discipline in practice and meeting rooms.  Implication: there was discipline lacking.  Don't know if it's true or not.  But that's what he said.

I said before Jay was fired I thought it was pointless unless they developed Dwayne and evaluated KO.  

Callahan seems to at least be on board with developing Dwayne, just not for next week.  KO calling plays is good.  Hopefully, he's able to take the "don't quit on the run" philosophy and not become "run-run-pass-punt."

We'll see.

I don't expect some miraculous turn around.  I'm hoping maybe for some more disciplined play and better play calling.  Though, I probably won't get either.    

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

🤣 Man fans really ARE stuck in the 80's.

Yup.  1982 to be precise.  

Warm up the diesel.  

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's Interim.

Yeah, though I'm not entirely sure if that's not somewhat bravado and playing to the crowd of "RUN THE DAMN BALL" people who are still stuck in 1982.  (Bruce might be one of those people, btw.)

If you remember the year Callahan coached the Raiders to the SB, they passed A LOT.  Like, A LOT A LOT.  With Rich freaking Gannon. So I don't think it would be out of character for Callahan to want to throw the ball a bit also.  

In a vacuum, I'd like to see 20-30 running plays a game. My issue has never been with running the ball, it's been with when they run the ball. And the fact that it hasn't worked.  If it works, then do it more, I say.  

There is one other thing Callahan said which was very nuanced it was easy to miss, but he said something about using APs skill set more.  Almost like they weren't actually doing what AP did best, and he was going to try and do more of what AP does well, which should help.  I might be reading between the lines there, but it certainly seemed like we might see more formations AP prefers.  

We will not know this until it happens, but I leave open the possibility that Jay hated everything Bill came up with, and just called his own running plays because they fit his system.  So maybe, just maybe, (hopefully?) the running game starts to work more because while Jay is a great passing game coordinator, he stinks at the running game.  Again, I have no idea if that's true or not. Time will tell.  But we know Jay and Bill didn't see eye to eye.  Maybe Bill knew what he was doing, and Jay didn't utilize it?  

The other option is Bill is a complete idiot and they'll do the same things over and over and continue to fail and we won't know anything. :)

I think I can get a few days of faint hope out of this, thank you for your post.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, he was dumb enough to accept a HC gig under Dan Snyder so I’m going to say there’s a better than average chance this is the case.😃😃

So, my (essentially worthless) take on Callahan being chosen over O'Connell- I read into it that Bruce isn't at all worried about his job. If he was, he would go with the splashier, swing for the fences kind of hire. Being content to limp thru the season with a lame retread like Callahan tells me he thinks he's here next year regardless.

Not that any of that is surprising, really. 

28 minutes ago, ashlynskins said:

I liked what I heard from Callahan ... specially when he said wants to establish a identity and run the ball... be a 2 down team, 1st down then 2nd down back to 1st down and saying you have to be willing and able to run the football

They all say that. It like defensive coaches coming in to say “we will be aggressive”.  Still guess its nice to hear it.

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Callahan Presser Round-up:

1. No Dwayne. Not anytime soon.  However, what seems to be a re-commitment to getting him more reps in practice and developing him more.  I actually thought he answered teh question very coherently when saying Dwayne wasn't ready to start.  He was asked if Dwayne was in the mix to start, and just said no, and then said he wasn't ready.  But also outlined a bit about how he's going to work to develop Dwayne in practice.  I thought it was a good answer.  

That's how I took it as well. It also sounded like there hasn't been a plan in place for developing Haskins. I don't think it mattered if Gruden liked Haskins or not this season, he had to win to keep his job and developing the next QB probably wasn't his top priority. 

15 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Yeah, we're close to moving on to #10!

2 coaches in 10 years.  

One of which lasted into his 6th season when he should have been fired after his 3rd.  

This "Dan fires coaches willy nilly" thing is so 2001.  

And he's reluctant to do anything about anything now because he is still trying to live down the mistakes from 20 years ago. 

He's making new, different mistakes now.  I suggest we pick on those.  

1 minute ago, ShredSkins said:

That's how I took it as well. It also sounded like there hasn't been a plan in place for developing Haskins. I don't think it mattered if Gruden liked Haskins or not this season, he had to win to keep his job and developing the next QB probably wasn't his top priority. 

I disagree with this insofar as if It were me, I would have bet the farm on Haskins and committed to him immediately, gotten him all the reps, and figured out how to put him in the best situation possible.  Because if you tie yourself to the franchise QB, then it's hard to be fired.  

Jay just didn't pick that path.  It got him fired. 

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I disagree with this insofar as if It were me, I would have bet the farm on Haskins and committed to him immediately, gotten him all the reps, and figured out how to put him in the best situation possible.  Because if you tie yourself to the franchise QB, then it's hard to be fired.  

Jay just didn't pick that path.  It got him fired. 

I agree with that, should have dropped Colt after the draft, and put everything into Haskins development. 

Of course, the Defense still would have sucked and we'd be 0-5 and still probably losing Gruden lol. 

I think an identity running the football is ****ing great. Except to do it you need to be built for it. The only part of this team that is built for a power attack is Adrian Peterson. 

im not worried though. We’ll throw to McLaurin, our best offensive weapons... on third down. 

1 hour ago, ashlynskins said:

It would be fine with me if we can run the ball like the Colts did last night on the Chiefs.  It was pretty amazing to watch.  Just haven't seen us be able to run the ball like that in a while though.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Yup...

From Sharpes twitter Feed:

*We’re 4th in the league in 1st Down run rate (a sure sign of moronic coaching).

*Gain the 3rd worst return on yards on 1st down runs (Further sign of genius).

*Average the 4th most yards to go on 2nd down (9.1)).

Yes, let’s triple down on this idiocy.

10 minutes ago, owa said:

It would be fine with me if we can run the ball like the Colts did last night on the Chiefs.  It was pretty amazing to watch.  Just haven't seen us be able to run the ball like that in a while though.

They've invested a lot in their OL, and have a dynamic RB. Plus, their defense kept things close against the best offense in the league (a gimpy Mahomes helped). Meanwhile we're going to have to trade away our stud LT, we're on the verge of letting our blue chip RG go, our RT is a mess of idiotic penalties committed to make up for slow and sloppy hands and footwork, our Center is passable but replacement-level, and arguably our best player on the line right now is our reclamation project LG who nearly busted out of the league but is now just not absolutely awful, which is an upgrade to us. Oh, and all those guys are just constantly knicked up and injured. 

So...yeah, it would take some work to get to the point where the Colts are. The Colts have a great HC cooking up groceries brought in by one of the best FO's in the league, helmed by Chris Ballard. They are weathering the storm of losing their all-time prospect QB Andrew Luck as if it just didn't happen out of the blue a mere week or two before the season was to start, because they've got one of the most talented and sensibly built rosters in the entire NFL, while still having plenty of draft picks and cap space in their future. 

I agree it was amazing to watch, and maybe what we should aspire to be if we can't luck into an insanely good franchise QB one way or another. But we just aren't built for it, in terms of the 53 and organizationally. 

Archived