Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

11 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I'm wondering how all those "Pimps n' Hos" themed college parties are going to play out for politicians of my generation 

We will have less people who are qualified and possibly great leaders for fear of incriminating themselves.  Hell its already showing.

This a really weird meltdown. If he truly feels guilty for his past actions, he needs to resign and work towards healing in good faith. I mean we have former neo-Nazis who quit the movement and find ways to work with pro-civil rights groups. 

Society will forgive him but he’s gotta stop doing weird ****.

Just....can't....stop....watching........

This is one of those slow down and eyeball the wreck on the road moments, you know you really shouldn't but your foot involuntarily lets off the gas

Here's my thing, his presser yesterday? Who can even imagine or script ANYTHING, anything at all, real or illusory, some movie scene or cartoon panel that would have made things any better? He's done, he's beyond done, burnt to flyash and yet still operating under the belief that there is still some hidden magic "National Treasure" escape possible.

****ing amazing

The hubris and conceit in this is a lesson for all aspiring politicians, hell it's a lesson for bus drivers and mailmen, yes we're all imperfect, yes we all did dumb **** when we were runnin' with our drinkin buddies in our 20s, and most important of all YES IT WILL COME OUT EVENTUALLY! You have one chance, one option, one and only one single path forward, you man up and own that ****, take your lumps with whatever grace you can muster and accept that this is a self-inflicted wound. I'm trying to teach my son this, repeat after me "Yes, I did it, it is my fault, I don't have an excuse and no one else is to blame. I am genuinely sorry and I WILL learn the lesson here never to make this mistake again" That goes a long way, and people can be incredibly understanding and forgiving if you ARE sincerely sorry, but hell, we're talking about politicians right? Sincerity works if you can fake it well enough.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

that man conscious guilty as hell

every single move he makes, he further tells on himself

Yesterdays press conference was the ”Oh come on guys, you know me” when the white dude blurts out the N word in front of his black friends not expecting to get called out move and today it’s the but i have black friends, guys totally not a racist defense...

Can’t imagine a Muslim member of political office ever getting away with posing jokingly as a member of ISIS or Al-Qaeda. 

Yet posing as a member of a white terrorist organization is no big deal apparently to people like Northam. Must be nice to have this privilege.  

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

This a really weird meltdown. If he truly feels guilty for his past actions, he needs to resign and work towards healing in good faith. I mean we have former neo-Nazis who quit the movement and find ways to work with pro-civil rights groups. 

Society will forgive him but he’s gotta stop doing weird ****.

I don't know man, I think society might have eventually forgiven him if he'd just owned up to it.  But you can't tell this story without the weird, out of touch statement about him reversing course and saying that it wasn't him in the photo.  

I think we're largely a forgiving society if you own up to your actions, apologize and then take action to correct the bad deeds as you said.  But Northam doesn't seem interested in doing that.  To your point, he's gotta stop doing weird **** but I think he's dug a hole too deep and wide to escape from it.  Where does he go from here?  If he comes out tomorrow and says "Yeah, that really is me under the hood" then...how credible is he on ANYTHING moving forward?  I wouldn't be lining up for forgiveness or believe in any apology he might come up with.

I am playing devil's advocate a bit here regarding the stigma and offensiveness of blackface, particularly in 1984. This is from a white guy in elementary school at the time.

In 1977 there was Gene Wilder in "Silver Streak". In 1983 there was Dan Akroyd in "Trading Places" (I think). There were blackface scenes in Hollywood. Why is it widely held that "blackface was unacceptable" -- when movies had characters in blackface?

Fairly certain that after 1990s it was clearly unacceptable... seem to remember Ted Danson doing something to Whoopi Goldberg.

Now, back to 1984... Klansman next to white guy in blackface.... that's where I am lost on... or even Klansman. Take the blackface out of it... that he had a Klansman on the yearbook page is what I would think is most offensive.

47 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I am playing devil's advocate a bit here regarding the stigma and offensiveness of blackface, particularly in 1984. This is from a white guy in elementary school at the time.

A couple of weeks ago at Mars Con, I was part of a panel of writers discussing comedy writing. One of the issues we talked about was punching up vs. punching down. Most of the panel agreed that punching up is usually better. Punching up is when you attack yourself, your own group, or someone with more power than you. Punching down is when you go after a group with less power.

Now, there are certainly successful insult comics and punching down can work. Shock humor can in fact be a useful tool to illustrate problems. However, punching down can also feel a lot like bullying. It's why, for example, most stand ups don't really make fun of people with disabilities. Now, it can be argued that that viewpoint is a part of PCism and I'd probably agree with you, but it's also fair.  Additionally, it can be understood as part of the reason why you see double standards in comedy and people are okay with it is because of the power dynamics involved with the person or group being satirized.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know man, I think society might have eventually forgiven him if he'd just owned up to it.  But you can't tell this story without the weird, out of touch statement about him reversing course and saying that it wasn't him in the photo.  

Agreed. It's really hard to forgive if there's no expression of remorse or at least no apology.

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

And Dave Chappelle certainly had no qualms going white, either.

Or putting on a hood.

I gotta lighten the mood here.  IIRC, the Clayton Bigsby skit was in the first episode of Chappelle Show and it's one of the funniest ****ing things I've ever seen.  It's amazing that he went on to do even funnier stuff.  Watching this skit, I was like...wow.  This is going to be a very different kind of show.  

NSFW, language obviously.

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

In 1977 there was Gene Wilder in "Silver Streak". In 1983 there was Dan Akroyd in "Trading Places" (I think). There were blackface scenes in Hollywood. Why is it widely held that "blackface was unacceptable" -- when movies had characters in blackface?

Fairly certain that after 1990s it was clearly unacceptable... seem to remember Ted Danson doing something to Whoopi Goldberg.

Now, back to 1984... Klansman next to white guy in blackface.... that's where I am lost on... or even Klansman. Take the blackface out of it... that he had a Klansman on the yearbook page is what I would think is most offensive.

Here is an article from 1989 referring to balackface as "racially insensitive". I'm sure that the rejection of it by some would easily go back to the civil rights era. True though that it has been a progression and some still are ok with it. 
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-05-22/entertainment/ca-351_1_blackface-stage-review-jim-crow

10 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Well Eddie Murphy did ... once

3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

And Dave Chappelle certainly had no qualms going white, either.

0.jpg

i do not understand the point of these two posts.

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

There's also that horrible Wayans movie White Chicks...

MV5BMTY3OTg2OTM3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzY5

Real talk, this was actually a great movie on race and privilege in America.

Archived