Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

How do you one day come out and say that you’re in the picture and the next day you’re not?

what does that even mean?

to me...

at best he was in some event like that, so a picture seemed reasonable, and he’s since learned that’s not him (but it could have been because he did those things)

or his camp  has decided no one can prove it’s him so they’re going that route (after admitting it was him)

neither scerio is good. 

You cant walk that back. There’s no way. 

I call it the R. Kelly defense, original credit to Shaggy.

https://youtu.be/Qv5fqunQ_4I

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

This can't be emphasized enough.  He owes us better then this.

Tin foil hat time: There's no doubt in my mind more people knew about this then it appears, but people were terrified of Gillespe being governor.  I would be shocked if that doesn't come out at some point.  Opposition research by Republicans didn't turn this up?  Ya right, even they didn't want Gillespe to be Governor, if they did, this woulda came out BEFORE the election, not after.

This probably was an inside job. I doubt republicans would release it now..  it puts someone who is more liberal in office.

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This probably was an inside job. I doubt republicans would release it now..  it puts someone who is more liberal in office.

Releasing it was not same as hiding it.  This was in plain sight for anyone that really wanted to dig for it or did it for a living. 

I dont think either party released it, I believe both colluded not to in hopes he would be out of office before the press found it.  I have no source for this, its just makes sense to me how neither side could know about it BS, the only logical answer is both sides did and decided to do nothing.

As a Virginian, I am more embarrassed then offended now, this is rediculous

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We still never seem to be able to have a good discussion on what past mistakes should be forgiven especially if current actions show that is not who the person is anymore.  Better to just rush out to show you're on the "right" side of the issue.

I mentioned before that my upbringing was more narrow-minded than I care to admit.  While I was never near as bad as other parts of my family, I definitely said things that I consider horrible now.  Once I got exposed to a more diverse world, my views changed dramatically.  Thankfully, I don't think there is anything in print that shows me in that light, or at least I'm not under that scrutiny.  

Point is, people change.  Especially once they get away from the echo chamber they grew up with.  The man should be given a chance.

I agree with you.  Northam getting run out of the party doesn't necessarily reflect what is right IMO, but rather what is necessary.  He crossed a line with a joke that has alienated black Democrats, and a Democratic leader can not govern without their confidence and support.  They are one of the most critical constituencies to our party.

Northam is a dying breed.  He's a privileged Baby Boomer White Southern man from the Eastern Shore who was a VMI grad and Army vet.  Give me a hundred people with that background and maybe one will end up becoming an authentic liberal Democrat like Northam.  I think there should be a place in the Democrat tent for White Southern men, but for that to happen, people are going to have to realize and accept that there is a lot of casual racist baggage in the past for White Southern men, especially Boomers and older Gen Xers.  It comes from being sheltered and ignorant of the lives and concerns of ethnic minorities, and it is not a permanent condition.  It's going to be hurtful, but I think Black Democrats are going to have to eat some **** and pick their battles on some race conflicts when it comes to their White Southern allies in a similar way to how metoo feminists will have to eat some **** on the casual misogyny of many of their male allies.  Same for LGBTQ Democrats having to eat some **** about the casual homophobia in the past of their allies.  Deciding where to set lines and forgiving hurtful stuff from the past goes hand in hand with making progress toward egalitarianism in culture and society.  Broad causes like these necessitate having lots of imperfect allies in order to form governing coalitions.

And the reality is that Northam headlined a wave ticket that reset the political map in Virginia from 20 years of Republican near super majority.  He's not needed any more, and he's a liability for the party moving forward.  But getting some support from White men like him is still very useful for winning elections in Virginia.  The demo is still almost 40% of the electorate here.  Softer support in the demo is why Democrats dropped seats they should have won, like the 5th congressional and a bunch of Assembly seats in Hampton Roads.  And support from White Southern men is necessary to win state legislatures, governorships, congressional majorities, Senate seats, and electoral votes deeper in the South and in the Midwest.

17 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

so he really going to try this bull**** excuse?

he's telling alot about himself at the moment

Yeah.  If it's not him, then I think he needs to explain why it's on his yearbook page.

He needs to have some dignity and recognize that he lost his base of support and that he's putting himself over his constituency and party now.

50 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The timing is odd. 

Pp and naral already demanded his resignation, days after 'clumsy' (being very kind) comments that maybe half of us were actually aware of somehow. 

It's possible, I suppose. 

Who found the photo? 

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Officials have been impeached for all sorts of things, so it mostly depends on who is doing the impeaching.

I'm aware that the legislature gets to decide where that line is. Me, I really think it needs to at least be illegal. 

In my mind there's no question he should resign even though stupid things done in high school shouldn't be the criteria by which a middle-aged person should be judged. He's a politician though. Held to a higher life-long standard and he simply won't have the trust of his constituents from here on out.

I'll say this: I was raised by parents who supported the civil rights movement and who taught me all people are created equal, racism is wrong. In my junior high years I was a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan and in 9th grade I wore a confederate flag on my jean jacket because I was young and dumb and thought it was "cool" to do so. I'm almost positive that someone, somewhere out there has a photo of me in that jacket. I'd be pretty embarrassed if it popped up on social media and I'd have a lot to answer for. However, only I know for sure what that flag really stands for was not what I stood for then and is not what I stand for now. 

Archived