Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

2 hours ago, clietas said:

Beer?

I liked beer. My friends liked beer. I still like beer. We drank beer, ok? We still drink beer. Me and sneaky pete and smelly al would spend all day doing tv kung-fu moves, using freeze-frame on a sony betamax so it was just like if the cia was training you, and after a hard day of that kind of intensity we liked to relax,  ok? Maybe drink a beer, you know. We like to train hard and have some fun. And we'd drink beer. How about you? Do you like beer? Do you drink beer? 

I was extremely skeptical when I first learned Bruce Allen was good friends with Ralph Northam. 

Bruce, who is the brother of George Allen, former Republican Gov. of VA, infamous for the "macaca" incident, being buddies with a Democrat? I think Democrat is only a means to get into power for some people.

This is all speculation, he could be a different person now, but hard to believe when he seems to be in the company of people like Bruce

Yeah, gotta resign.

Curious to see who's doing the digging of the yearbook staff and publisher who thought it was acceptable to include that.  You know it's happening.  If Kavanaugh's friend named Squee gets a few days in the sun, whoever was doing yearbook layout in '84 is going to get a rude awakening come Monday when their name breaks on twitter and the media descends on their proctology practice.  

Anyway, how many of you are upset/disappointed that it wasn't a Republican that did this?  Were you guys like, "Ralph Northam?  Photo of blackface and KKK?  Pleasebearepublicanpleasebearepublicanpleasebearepublicanpleasebearepublican....Democrat?  ****!!!"  

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not one person has answered the question...what were y'all doing 35 years ago? 

Even adults do dumb ****. I'll be the very first to admit that. 

Wasnt born. 

Alive people with decency and common sense however have been trying to educate white people about racism for centuries at this point.

“Dumb ****” is a pretty weak attempt at excusing disgusting behavior that has denigrated and suppressed millions of innocent people of color. How do you think colored people in his medical school class felt when they saw classmates turning terrorism and centuries of oppression against their kind into a joke? 

Ralph Northam can **** right off and go back to working in a hospital. Being a public leader is a privilege. 

Couple things.  I was busy a lot of today and am just now reading this.  Holy crap.  Everything that needs to be said has already been said, so I'm going to ask something else.

Who is the other person in the photo, and are they ****ting their pants right now and praying their name doesn't get out?

We still never seem to be able to have a good discussion on what past mistakes should be forgiven especially if current actions show that is not who the person is anymore.  Better to just rush out to show you're on the "right" side of the issue.

I mentioned before that my upbringing was more narrow-minded than I care to admit.  While I was never near as bad as other parts of my family, I definitely said things that I consider horrible now.  Once I got exposed to a more diverse world, my views changed dramatically.  Thankfully, I don't think there is anything in print that shows me in that light, or at least I'm not under that scrutiny.  

Point is, people change.  Especially once they get away from the echo chamber they grew up with.  The man should be given a chance.

9 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Ok, and a talking head said about this incident..."in this space and time"...

THE PHOTO WAS NOT TAKEN IN THIS SPACE AND TIME. 

GOOD GRIEF. 

It's awful. It's offensive. It's terrible. And it's also pretty old. Would Jesus forgive him & say he gets another chance to do better? 

Please ponder what times were like then. 3 TV channels, y'all. That was it. (And Howard Stern on DC101...now, wanna talk about offensive? Air Florida, anyone? )

I'm in my 50s and it would have been considered offensive where I lived (Columbia, MD} in 1984. Pretty good chance of getting beaten up. The Confederate flag was less clear cut what with the Dukes of Hazzard, Lynyrd Skynrd and Tom Petty all "sanitizing" it, and I imagine on the DelMarVa penninsula where Northam grew up and went to Medical school blackface was probably "edgy". I was there in 2003 and the boat ramp we launched from had "YANKEE GO HOME!" painted in 4 foot block letters on it. Even though it was a different time (look at Sixteen Candles with it's date rape and Asian stereotyping}, this would still have only been acceptable within a certain group of people. And to choose it as the way you want to represent yourself for posterity? Not only did he do it, but he was proud of it. Guess he thought it illustrated his great sense of humor.  If he wants to survive (I doubt he will), he needs to do a full mea culpa and some serious outreach. OTOH you have to wonder what would have happened if a picture of Trump like this had appeared in 2016.

He is definitely the guy in blackface based on height, though I don't think it matters in a collaborative effort. 

Jesus is better than most internet people, BTW :D

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

If he resigns and there is good cause for him to do so... can we have Steve King follow suit, Mitch McConnell, etc. Let's denounce racism in both parties.

A whole lot of Republicans would be out of a job if they were judged on moral decency. 

Ultimately, this is about values of people and Ralph Northam will be out of work soon because his own base finds his behavior reprehensible.

On the Republican side, they are busy electing people like Cindy-Hyde Smith BECAUSE of her overtly racist history. 

Maryland’s Eastern Shore, graduated high school in ‘82.

There is a pic in my yearbook of of me hosting a fund raising “slave auction”. Not in blackface but with my hair (I had a lot of hair back then) in faux Afro after my sisters teased it (?, I think that’s what they called it) out.  I cringe, literally, when I look at that pic now.  

I was 16 when my pic was taken.  He was 25, VMI, and had been away from the Shore for a few years.   At 25, and having been away from the Shore for a few years myself, while I still love the Eastern Shore of Md, I was waaaay more aware and no way I cling to that mindset of racial humor at the expense of others.  As Buzz stated, sort of, once a person has the information to make a decision on who he wants to be, that’s who he is.

That, and his most recent (emphasis on most recent, there are other “curiosities”) curious decision to omit Mr Fairfax from campaign literature in the recent election, his duck walking has been there for a while.

Two thoughts considering both parties had to know these pics were out there:

1.  Did Dems not know about this bombshell and not care?

2. Are Repubs actually too stupid to not know this was out there?

Archived