Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

Dumb question. I don't know his political career and background or if he held office.

Would it have been okay if he fully disclosed the picture in the primary, gave a heartfelt apology and admitted that this type of racial humor was wrong as well as copping up to being rhe specific one in the picrure?

When I was in college there was a running gag with my roomates that I was a skinhead (because I kept my hair short), and one of my roomates jokingly put somerhing on then internet about me running for President under the Nazi Party, even making a gif with an out of context picture zooming into crazy eyes. We laughed about it for a week. There were multiple other racist and BS immature insults and jokes.

Years later I googled my name and some site (that seemed legit) had actually picked it up as my name actually running for Pres under the Nazi party and I was horrified. Should I just apologize now so that if I want to run for office, I am in the clear?

This is exactly the type of poor taste and offensive humor that some people enjoy, especially young. For my roomates and I it was more so about "pushing the cultural edges and boundaries" -- think TV shows like South Park and Family Guy than actual real hatred. We never did Klan and blackface... but I could see is being one step away, and not realizing how harmful the joke would be to others.

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

He needs to go and I am sick and tired of people justifying bad behavior because its the past.

I'm with you on this. This isn't some trivial act that should brushed aside as a "youthful mistake". Plenty of things fall into that category, racist **** or violence against women, don't IMO

I'm not saying he is beyond forgiveness, but he is certainly beyond the capability of governing the constituency that elected him to the job

People do learn and they do change.

I did. Where i grew up and what i dealt with could have left me a hateful person. i was the decided minority where i lived, and even one further, being a ginger also left me outside of my own 'race'.  I was my own little sub-group. I caught a lot of **** for th color of my skin and the color of my hair, and every group had their fun at the expense of my hair.

I had a lot of fights. I carried anger that you wouldn't believe.

In time i learned the attitudes i held as a kid were exactly that,.. a kid's perspective derived from the actions of kids. I left the anger and told myself that those who had used me as their victim all the time would also grow into more mature attitudes and learn. Many didn't Most o my old friends from those days carry it still. i don't talk to them much, which was a conscious decision to try and gt past ll the anger i had. When i was 18 or so, i basically changed out everyone in my life as much as i could. (It didn't hurt that i got grandfathered in when the drinking age changed in 83 and I could go places they could not. I spent a lot of time in the DC punk scene of those days.. this did two things..   it exposed me to a LOT of different people, a lot of different attitudes that were not present in my neighborhood. Also, the music and a night of smashing myself around while Bad Brains thrashed was incredibly cathartic in releasing the anger.)

it takes work, it takes determination and it takes a desire to want to change the attitude so much that when the old fears, anger, and isolation crept in, that it had to be consciously shoved aside until it didn't anymore.

But it can be done, and i like to think most people recognize the mistakes of their youth and try to grow. (that said, i know nothing about this governor. Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't)

That's all i have to say.

~Bang

19 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The fact that he won't say who he is in the photo says a lot about his character.

He is governor of VA with the help of black Democrats. He campaigned and won yet felt this wasn't important enough to disclose early. 

He needs to go and I am sick and tired of people justifying bad behavior because its the past.

This can't be emphasized enough.  He owes us better then this.

Tin foil hat time: There's no doubt in my mind more people knew about this then it appears, but people were terrified of Gillespe being governor.  I would be shocked if that doesn't come out at some point.  Opposition research by Republicans didn't turn this up?  Ya right, even they didn't want Gillespe to be Governor, if they did, this woulda came out BEFORE the election, not after.

Just now, spjunkies said:

Seems like that would be something I wouldn't have trouble remembering. 

Unless you did both so often you couldn't remember which instance that photo was taken.

Gonna be interesting to see how Northam spins this and says its not him in the photos.  Now all we need is a smug prick maga hat wearing kid and an old Indian dude beating a drum in order to make the press and blue checkmarkers start walking back their hot takes on this issue and saying they got it wrong.

20 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Dumb question. I don't know his political career and background or if he held office.

Would it have been okay if he fully disclosed the picture in the primary, gave a heartfelt apology and admitted that this type of racial humor was wrong as well as copping up to being rhe specific one in the picrure?  

I can't truly say, as I'm not the offended party. However, genuine honesty/culpability, and getting out in front of the issue (whatever that issue is) always goes a lot further than just kinda hoping it doesnt get found out/hiding it, and spinning your wheels when it finally gets out. That just makes you look guilty/deceitful  as hell, and always serves to do nothing but dig you in a deeper hole.

That being said, he's a politician, and politicians just aren't wired like that. They would never risk possibly sinking their careers (weighing that over any kind of good will or the  outside chance at possibly even retaining/being elected to office) unless they're given no other choice.

If you went through life, bare minimum not getting your wtf-ness recorded in any capacity, you just probably have to kill/threaten the right people to stay silent.☺

I personally would've forgiven him. By all accounts, he seems/seemed like a good person with his heart in the right place. But the way this has unfolded can change so many things, despite all he's done (and his peers have echoed as much).

Such is life.

23 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

It wouldn't have been okay but would have been appreciated. People could make up their minds and decide if they were willing to forgive and support him with their votes.

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Unless you did both so often you couldn't remember which instance that photo was taken.

Yeah, this is nuts. How many times he do the whole blackface/kkk hood couples costume for him to forget?

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

The fact that he cant admit which one he was undercuts any sincerity of an apology

Maybe he did it so frequently he can't remember? "Was that a Friday?  Because I recall would go blackface on Fridays and KKK robe on Saturdays.  Can't remember which day that party was, sorry."

Edit: Spaceman Spiff beat me to it

How do you one day come out and say that you’re in the picture and the next day you’re not?

what does that even mean?

to me...

at best he was in some event like that, so a picture seemed reasonable, and he’s since learned that’s not him (but it could have been because he did those things)

or his camp  has decided no one can prove it’s him so they’re going that route (after admitting it was him)

neither scerio is good. 

You cant walk that back. There’s no way. 

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

It wouldn't have been okay but would have been appreciated. People could make up their minds and decide if they were willing to forgive and support him with their votes.

Exactly. And they probably wouldn't have.

To me there is a clear line on what should and should not be tolerated within the Democratic party in 2018/19.

2 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Yeah, this is nuts. How many times he do the whole blackface/kkk hood couples costume for him to forget?

Yeah, I mean if I wore blackface or put on a KKK hood one time, I'd remember it for sure.  Unless, like I said, I did it so many times I couldn't remember specific details about which instance we'd be discussing.  

I can't (I mean, yes I can) believe he's going to say it wasn't him in those photos.  If that's the case did he flip the **** out when the yearbook came out and was like "who the **** put this photo on my page that isn't me????"

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

Wow....just....wow.  

Now I gotta figure out what channel this is on and watch it.  ****, I hate getting involved in **** like this.  If I'm going to re-arrange a Saturday for something that's going to be on TV, it better be something like Goodfellas on TNT distracting me when I should be doing errands. 

Politicians, what scum.  Clinging onto dear life because they wouldn't know how to hack it in the real world.  Although Northam is a doctor, but who'd wanna visit that guys office after all of this?

I used to think government was hard, now I'm not sure.  I think running for public office would be really easy.  Promise a bunch of **** to a base that you know you can't deliver while taking money from special interest groups to fund a campaign.  Wear an oxford shirt, film a commercial showing you shaking hands and talking to people in their homes.  Demonize the other side.  Deny anything you might have been a part of in your past and accept no responsibility.  And then deny some more.  Keep making promises.  Come up with a slogan that people can rally around.  Hit the campaign trail, shake a lot of hands, smile, and pose for pictures.

Then get in office and do whatever the **** you want.  Ignore letters from your constituents by having a college kid mail back a form reply letter.  Go down to the Hill and bull**** around with the other leeches who followed the same path that you did to win office.  Have an office stacked to the ceiling with papers and documents that you have others read to tell you what's in them.  Keep accepting money from your special interest groups and make decisions based on them.  Every time you see a camera, smile.  

And then get ready to do the whole dog and pony show again in a few years, get out there and make promises again, tell people you're counting on them and that you're fighting for the middle class!  

Seems a lot easier than most jobs.  I mean, why go back to being a pediatric neurologist and have to deal with life and death decisions daily?  As long as you're a narcissistic sociopath, you can do well in politics.  

Archived