Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA Governor Ralph Northam Got Some Explaining to Do

Bozo the kKklown

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I am playing devil's advocate a bit here regarding the stigma and offensiveness of blackface, particularly in 1984. This is from a white guy in elementary school at the time.

In 1977 there was Gene Wilder in "Silver Streak". In 1983 there was Dan Akroyd in "Trading Places" (I think). There were blackface scenes in Hollywood. Why is it widely held that "blackface was unacceptable" -- when movies had characters in blackface?

Fairly certain that after 1990s it was clearly unacceptable... seem to remember Ted Danson doing something to Whoopi Goldberg.

Now, back to 1984... Klansman next to white guy in blackface.... that's where I am lost on... or even Klansman. Take the blackface out of it... that he had a Klansman on the yearbook page is what I would think is most offensive.

ITs been offensive since it first started. The whole point was to mock black people.

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Reverse racism > regular racism. 

Gotcha. 

white face isn’t racist the way black face is. There is a history of using black face to demean black people. There is none of that with comedians dressing up as a white dude to make fun of cultural differences.  It’s the same act but they have two totally different histories,

Thanks guys... reading more about the hurtful history behind blackface -- I got it. I apologize for not knowing the level of how offensive blackface is.

It is amazing that the first page comment that it may actually be better if he was dressed as the klansman is no joke.

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Thanks guys... reading more about the hurtful history behind blackface -- I got it. I apologize for not knowing the level of how offensive blackface is.

It is amazing that the first page comment that it may actually be better if he was dressed as the klansman is no joke.

It’s why when people post videos of black comedians posing in white face, they have no understanding of the history of violence attributed to black face.

51 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

You wouldn't.

You posted a video of a comedian in white face in response to a tweet about why their aren’t black college students dressing in white face. That was in comparison to the annual tradition of white college students who dress in black face.

So please, help me understand. @TheGreatBuzz, you can also assist in helping me understand.

Oh man, “gotcha politics” strikes again.

I voted for Northam.  I think he’s a good person and I think he’s doing a fine job.  I see no reason for him to resign.

But then again, I didn’t go all in on the Kavanaugh deal so I’m not compelled to histrionics in this case, either.

10 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

It’s why when people post videos of black comedians posing in white face, they have no understanding of the history of violence attributed to black face.

You posted a video of a comedian in white face in response to a tweet about why their aren’t black college students dressing in white face. That was in comparison to the annual tradition of white college students who dress in black face.

So please, help me understand. @TheGreatBuzz, you can also assist in helping me understand.

I'm not really positive on what you want help understanding so if I'm off target, please let me know.

I think you are wanting help understanding why someone posted the comedians in white face.  I didn't take it as a "they did it so it makes everything okay" instance.  I took it more as a reason to post some funny videos.  I don't think there was any grand point trying to be made.

Regarding black face in general, I didn't realize it was supposably super offensive until a few years ago.  Some of that is just upbringing and what you were/are exposed to.  I also know from asking around, different people see a different level of offense in it.  

I'm also reminded of a book character that were talked about here a while back.  I can't remember the name but people were arguing that it was racist and meant to show black people in a negative light.  When I did some research, from reading the original story to more recent versions, the character was always shown in a positive light as the protagonist.  So I don't really get where that was racist.

Bottom line, I think there are some things that are racist that not everyone is aware that they are and things that really aren't racist and people just feel a need to ****.

10 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I also understood the post you quoted perfectly. Was just messing around, and not really trying to use that to argue against that quote (which I happen to agree with).

I wish I had the same trust of forummers on here but I am skeptical. I remember when I had the avatar of that kid from that episode of Atlanta who had his face painted white. I had a convo about black face on here and one of our fellow forummers attempted to equate that kid to black face. The poster had no idea what image even referenced, they decided to do a “both sides” to something like that.

So im sorry, I have to be sure if people’s motives on here because I can’t assume.

At this point I'm not even looking at what Northam and his buddies did 30+ years ago, his response, particularly his presser Saturday, were.......amazing will have to stand in for the words I use in RL. HIS WIFE HAD TO TELL HIM NOT TO MOONWALK!!!!!

I mean, damn

Damn on meth squared damn

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Has anything in Northam's 30+ years since his medical school days indicated a racist mindset? 

Me personally, I have no idea (but I have continued to say that "Is he a racist now?" Is truly the wrong way to look at this, taking his clear deception on the issue, his ensuing comments, and now his woefully bad presser, where among many errs, he exhibited a startling amount of tone deafness). I dont think it matters, given his conduct after the fact.

But you can be sure that people are digging now to see if there's more to be found.

What was the context of the photo? Halloween? A skit?

If it was, would that make it ok, in your opinion?

is he even one of the people in the photo?

He said it was, and then he said it wasn't, which clearly illustrates intent to deceive/lie.

If he isn't racist, would you be accepting of a man that acts in this manner (when he has an opportunity to finally come clean) being fit to serve and represent you as governor?

Archived