Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

46 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Care to elaborate?

1. QB never goes under goes under center.

2. Doesn't huddle or call plays

3. Lack of in line TE

4. Because the QB isn't under center it doesn't sell or is harder to sell play action

5. No lead blocker or fullback

I can go on. I have never seen a true spread work in the NFL ever. Yeah it's fine when you're playing teams like Baylor or Texas Tech. The Ravens are doing it with regular personnel on the field but in the playoffs it failed miserably. Being in shotgun 100% or the time doesn't work in the NFL. I firmly believe that. 

I don't want Rosen. Terrible additude.

I don't want Carr. Terrible contract.

I don't want Murray or Haskins. Would have to trade up for them and neither is worth the trade up value IMO.

If Lock falls to number 15 I would agree that his potential is high, and that he could be our guy at that spot. But if Hockenson is also still on the board at 15, I would be very torn between the two because he is going to be something special at the TE position.

In the late rounds I have been saying for weeks I like Minshew and Rypien. 

Consider this scenario too. Keenum was in a tough situation last year, we know he can play looking at what he did in Minnesota. Vikings let go of Keenum for Kirk. How awesome would it be to see Keenum have success here, especially against Kirk in Minnesota. Keenum taking them out in the playoffs would be beyond epic.

Right now looking at the way things could shake out, here are my favorites.

1) Keenum, 2) Colt, 3) Minshew/or/Rypien. With Hockensen our pick at 15.

1) Lock 2) Colt. Probably don't carry a 3rd string QB in this situation. But unfortunately we won't get Hockenson either. 

Just heard on SFL radio some tidbits on Lock. Says he did not play very well vs. the SEC this year. Ran up numbers vs. Inferior competition. Compared him to Blaine Gabbert, another mizzou alum. Is not a winner, this year was his most wins 8.  Calling it a bust pick, also mentioned the Dolphins don’t want him. It was total conjecture and hearsay from a non expert but thoughts on the radio down here nonetheless. Just sharing, not my beliefs per se..

46 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Just stop. This is such a terrible argument against QBs. People have said this **** about Rodgers, McNabb, Mayfield, and more in the past and it amounts to nothing most of the time. It's a lazy criticism when you want to cause drama.

i'd be okay with trading for Rosen and here's why: He was a top ten first round pick last year and to give up on him, as it appears Arizona is after one season, is a mistake in my opinion. He was in a very tough spot in Arizona, as they had a defensive minded head coach who got fired after one season, the OC was fired mid season and Byron Leftwich was his QB coach. Nothing against Leftwich, but I'd say Jay grooming Rosen would be a significant upgrade over the coaching and situation he was in last year. We can say what ever we want to about Gruden as our HC, but I believe that he is one of the better guys at tutoring QB's.

Can you imagine if the Rams gave up on Goff after his rookie season? His HC was the defensive oriented Jeff Fisher and his QB coach was Casey Weldon in his rookie year. Most people were saying he was a bust following his first year, but when Fisher and his staff got fired everyone knows how he improved and his career took off once he got some real QB coaching when McVay got there. Rosen just turned 22 a few weeks ago and he has a season experience under his belt. At 22 years old, he's pretty much the same age any rookie QB that we would potentially take with that 15th pick is. To me, Rosen is a high risk, high reward proposition and has just as good a chance to boom or bust as any rookie QB we might take in the draft.

I'm in the camp for Rosen as well.  He was in a no win situation last year and it showed.  But I would also draft a QB in the later rounds. We flat out need new blood in the building at QB. Two young guys and Colt. Bring back JJ for insurance. 

51 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Just heard on SFL radio some tidbits on Lock. Says he did not play very well vs. the SEC this year. Ran up numbers vs. Inferior competition. Compared him to Blaine Gabbert, another mizzou alum. Is not a winner, this year was his most wins 8.  Calling it a bust pick, also mentioned the Dolphins don’t want him. It was total conjecture and hearsay from a non expert but thoughts on the radio down here nonetheless. Just sharing, not my beliefs per se..

This is exactly what i see on film..... just my opinion

I am not sure why the push back so hard against Rosen, unless they use a 1st rd pick or more. If you can get this guy for 2nd or later, it's a very low risk high reward option. Some are acting as if we trade for Rosen we are stuck It's exactly the opposite. You get him for a nominal cost you can move on with virtually no loss. 

I see no QB in the is draft that really excites me but that's just me. Sure they are decent, and to be fair probably as good an option and maybe better than Rosen. But they will cost a 1st rd pick or more. Rosen should not. 

If they can't get Rosen then I like Teddy if they can get him cheap. If not, roll with Colt and take a mid to late rd developmental QB. Look to the 2020 draft or FA crop. Work on the other weaknesses - edge rusher, S, CB, TE, Oline, WR. 

50 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Consider this scenario too. Keenum was in a tough situation last year, we know he can play looking at what he did in Minnesota. Vikings let go of Keenum for Kirk. How awesome would it be to see Keenum have success here, especially against Kirk in Minnesota. Keenum taking them out in the playoffs would be beyond epic.

1) Lock 2) Colt. Probably don't carry a 3rd string QB in this situation. But unfortunately we won't get Hockenson either. 

Keenum is a back-up QB and stop gap starter at QB at best, imo.  He's had one good year in his career and that team was loaded with weapons along with a stud defense.  Not to mention we have Colt on the books for almost 3.5 mil and Smith for 20 mil.  If cut, he is going to get somewhere around 7-10 mil/yr.  

It would be a dumb move, again imo, to sign him and devote that much money to the QB position.  The best move, imo, would be to sign a cheap FA option (like Fitz) and roll into the season with Colt, Fitz, Josh, with Josh being the obvious 3rd string and let Fitz/Colt battle it out for starter.  Or draft a QB at #15 or later and roll into the season with Colt, Josh, rookie QB.

Of course this all depends on FA and who we can land at other positions of need (safety, WR, etc.); it might be better to snag a cheaper FA QB, Foles, Teddy and Keenum will cost too much and just take away needed cap space that could/should be devoted to other areas.  I want the team to do what's best long term, and I don't think giving up draft picks to move up and snag a QB or dumping more money than needed on a FA QB is the solution (long term).

well I see it this way

1.) We could sign a middling qb for $5-$8 million and not have the money to sign anyone else since we'd have close to $30 million on the books for qb's.

2.) we could sign 1 or 2 really good FA's, either at S, ILB, OLB/Edge or G

3.) we could sign a bunch of average guys to salaries way above their displayed performance and have no cap money left

4.) we could sign 1 or 2 really good FA's, get some kind of qb either in the draft or through trade, and see how that works out.

Of those 4 choices, which makes the most sense, and which would Brucey choose? 😡

1 hour ago, skins2victory said:

I don't want Carr. Terrible contract.

I don't want Murray or Haskins. Would have to trade up for them and neither is worth the trade up value IMO.

If Lock falls to number 15 I would agree that his potential is high, and that he could be our guy at that spot. But if Hockenson is also still on the board at 15, I would be very torn between the two because he is going to be something special at the TE position.

In the late rounds I have been saying for weeks I like Minshew and Rypien. 

Hard to argue with this. Although, it’s going to hurt my feelings to see Hockenson go elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

Just stop. This is such a terrible argument against QBs. People have said this **** about Rodgers, McNabb, Mayfield, and more in the past and it amounts to nothing most of the time. It's a lazy criticism when you want to cause drama.

LOL... He says "just stop". No, I will continue to state my opinion little green guy. Nice try though.

Yeah you could add aRodgers and big ben to that list too. I have also heard that Wilson is a bit of an oddball as well. Bottom line is if hes a baller it won't matter .....unless he's a Jeff George or Jay Schrader kinda guy.

6 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

It’s not an opinion. It’s a lie.

Rosen acted like a spoiled little brat, that is used to getting everything handed to him in life when he went, god forbid, 10th overall to Arizona. He was playing the Tom Brady card that he was mad at the world for such a travesty. But Brady was in the 6th round, so he had more to be upset about. I recall onstage right after the Cards moved up in the draft to get him, and the selection was made, he said something to the tune of he wasn't thrilled about what just happened, he was still soo mad. But he was sure maybe later he be happy about it. Not a very good impression on the Cardinal fans at the time i'm sure. Then the season definitely didn't go his way. That was one of the first impressions I had of him, and it was a poor one. I didn't like his whinny attitude. And not even one year later the Cards are ready to move on from him. Red Flag. Respect is earned not given in my world.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

If they can't get Rosen then I like Teddy if they can get him cheap. If not, roll with Colt and take a mid to late rd developmental QB. Look to the 2020 draft or FA crop. Work on the other weaknesses - edge rusher, S, CB, TE, Oline, WR. 

You wouldn't take Lock at 15? Not sure about Teddy and what's cheap $$ ? Some are saying Teddy will get like 12 mill a year not sure I like that?

Not to mention, apparently his teammates love the guy.

2 minutes ago, hailmary said:

You wouldn't take Lock at 15? Not sure about Teddy and what's cheap $$ ? Some are saying Teddy will get like 12 mill a year not sure I like that?

First, there is no way Lock makes it to 15. So to get him they would need to give up more than 15. But even if he dropped, I would be Ok passing on him for an impact player elsewhere. And please do not try to tell me all the reasons I am wrong. It's my opinion and I am not changing it. I do not really like any of the QBs supposedly in the top of the draft. Again, it's just my opinion. 

I do not think $12M is cheap either so if that's what he is going for then pass. I was thinking <$10M/yr. That's unlikely given the market but if they can get him for lower money then I am Ok with it. 

Archived