Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Stop looking at Rosen like we're spending our future looking at Rosen to be the answer, and look at it like we're essentially using a 2nd day pick on a guy who graded out as a 1st round QB, but fell to the 2nd or 3rd round because of some questions on film.  

That entirely hinges on us not giving up the first for him. 

10 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

The Cardinals will get a first.. dolphins first..Rosen starting qb for Miami week 1..my prediction

FWIW - Local beat guys say Miami is not interested in Rosen. 

IMO, he's another Tannehill.

4 minutes ago, dballer said:

That entirely hinges on us not giving up the first for him. 

Most people suggesting this move have said that a 1st round pick is way too much and we do not think that's a good move...  

Here are our options imho

3.  Trade a 2nd or a 3rd for Rosen.  This is where it.....

Stop looking at Rosen like we're spending our future looking at Rosen to be the answer, and look at it like we're essentially using a 2nd day pick on a guy who graded out as a 1st round QB, but fell to the 2nd or 3rd round because of some questions on film.  

This was my post... 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

Most people suggesting this move have said that a 1st round pick is way too much and we do not think that's a good move...  

Oh yeh I am 100% with you. Just saying, the FO may be thinking differently. I would go from being pumped getting him for a third, to content with getting him for a second, to distraught spending the 1st...

Well that shoots down my prediction of the phins getting Rosen...I guess possibly clearing a path for the skins to get him for a 2nd at the most..and maybe a third from next year....what a snarwl the skins have got them selves in...Alex Smith, trying to win now knowing grudes is on the edge, invest in qb now?...play someone who's on the roster now? invest in qb next year with new regime?..

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Where did you see this?

I did a quick google search and came up empty.  Not because I find it hard to believe that a privleged kid would feel that way, but to be dumb enough to say it publicly, that’s another thing.

He said it right before the draft. He bragged about her neorusurgeon mom and dad that would make sure he wouldn’t end up likeregular working folk of things didn’t work out.   Not surprised by that comment.  UCLA and USC are known for that as celebs and rich folk just buy their way in. UCLA always makes USC out to be the uppity ones but trust me I met plenty of UCLA ones including ex’s family and they are just as bad.   They take pride in people being rejected from the university.  

17 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Well that shoots down my prediction of the phins getting Rosen...I guess possibly clearing a path for the skins to get him for a 2nd at the most..and maybe a third from next year....what a snarwl the skins have got them selves in...Alex Smith, trying to win now knowing grudes is on the edge, invest in qb now?...play someone who's on the roster now? invest in qb next year with new regime?..

Thats why Rosen could be the get out of jail free card.  Minimal cost vs initial investment.  Minimal salary.  Potential upside with possible growth.  If new regime wants their guy, Rosen is only under contract for 2 years if Gruden gets fired (20', 21').  If he balls out, we have the 5th year option we can pick up... We found ourselves in a very precarious situation, but Rosen could check a lot of boxes for the business, and Front Office side of things. 

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Whats why Rosen could be the get out of jail free card.  Minimal cost vs initial investment.  Minimal salary.  Potential upside with possible growth.  If new regime wants their guy, Rosen is only under contract for 2 years if Gruden gets fired (20', 21').  If he balls out, we have the 5th year option we can pick up... We found ourselves in a very precarious situation, but Rosen could check a lot of boxes for the business, and Front Office side of things. 

This is what I was thinking too...good call..does this mean the skins are willing to give there 1st for him...I would hope not..would rather see a rookie at 15 I guess idk uggg so mind boggling irritating.

13 hours ago, MartinC said:

As opposed to starting Colt McCoy or sending a bunch of picks for a rookie who will play at around 185?

if Rosen flames out at worst you have a quality backup and roll out the brinks truck to take a QB very high in 2020.

How did those become the only 2 options?

There will be free agent quarterbacks available to get through this year.  Next year is looking to be a better qb draft class than this one anyway.

And at worst, Rosen flames out and you wasted yet another high pick on qb position instead of one of the many areas of need.

To me, 2019 is a lost year anyway.  Use the draft picks to fill as many of the other holes as possible, OL, S, pass rusher, etc.  Try to build a base for next year.  Then in '20 go find that franchise qb.

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

This is what I was thinking too...good call..does this mean the skins are willing to give there 1st for him...I would hope not..would rather see a rookie at 15 I guess idk uggg so mind boggling irritating.

1st is too much.  If we're going to give up a 1st round pick, then draft Lock or Jones, because you then get that 5th year.  i can HANDLE giving up a 2nd... but not my preference.  3rd or 3rd+ would be my preference... 

Just now, LightningBuggs said:

To me, 2019 is a lost year anyway.  

What?!??!where!!???? why????!! HOW???!!!! How y'all set yourself up like this is beyond me..might as well not consider yourself a fan..ughh I absolutely ****ing hate seeing all the stupid ass negative "this year's a wash"..."forget this year, who we gonna draft with the first pick next year"..Jesus h ****in gods!!!, I had to get that out of my system sorry!!

19 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

He said it right before the draft. He bragged about her neorusurgeon mom and dad that would make sure he wouldn’t end up likeregular working folk of things didn’t work out.   Not surprised by that comment.  UCLA and USC are known for that as celebs and rich folk just buy their way in. UCLA always makes USC out to be the uppity ones but trust me I met plenty of UCLA ones including ex’s family and they are just as bad.   They take pride in people being rejected from the university.  

https://nypost.com/2018/04/14/nfl-scouts-could-be-rattled-by-josh-rosens-wealth/

Here is the actual quote: Rosen is quoted as saying, “OK, my family isn’t, like, stupid wealthy. But I’m coming from a place where if football doesn’t work out, I don’t have to work at McDonald’s.”

It was in response to questions about his family's wealth being a problem - that he is not hungry enough. That's the dumbest line of questioning I have ever heard. It will not be the first time a player has come from a family of wealth. Why is it a problem for him just for him? Hunger and desire - or the opposite - are not reserved for one socioeconomic group. Oddly enough it's spread pretty evenly across all bounds.

And IN CONTEXT - the answer is quite reasonable. In this day of being too lazy to find the facts and get the correct context, this stands right up there of taking something out of context then trying to create a narrative out of it to get clicks or readership. Lazy reporting to a lazy public. 

BTW: Before it starts, no need to defend working at McDonald's as him saying something bad. I worked fast food. It sucks and I was a manager. That's why at age 33 I went to college to get an engineering degree. While McDonald's/fast food is honest work and nothing to be ashamed of, I doubt most people find it their life objective to make burgers and fries unless making management or ownership. Even then it is really hard physical work with horrible hours and you have to deal with really mean people more than most any other profession.  

We are getting way to sensitive as a society. Personally I find the guys honesty refreshing. Of course people are free to do what they want, but if you are not going to support this guy over that answer, especially now understanding the context, I got nothing for you. Makes zero sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

What?!??!where!!???? why????!! HOW???!!!! How y'all set yourself up like this is beyond me..might as well not consider yourself a fan..ughh I absolutely ****ing hate seeing all the stupid ass negative "this year's a wash"..."forget this year, who we gonna draft with the first pick next year"..Jesus h ****in gods!!!, I had to get that out of my system sorry!!

woosah brother

I don't think anyone is rooting for us to lose, but it's not unrealistic to have rational expectations.  We're not in a very favorable situation, and the expectations can be tampered.  I don't see us as a team that is likely to be in any sort of contention next season.  That doesn't mean i'm not going to watch every game hoping to see a victory... but at the end of the year if we end up 5-11 or 6-10, i'm not going to look back and say we under-achieved.  Sitting where we're at RIGHT NOW, that seems like a realistic prediction... That said, i'm not ROOTING for us to achieve that win / loss total.  We can still make some moves and I actually think we're closer to being in a favorable position, but it's going to take the right moves to do it.  

13 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

How did those become the only 2 options?

There will be free agent quarterbacks available to get through this year.  Next year is looking to be a better qb draft class than this one anyway.

And at worst, Rosen flames out and you wasted yet another high pick on qb position instead of one of the many areas of need.

To me, 2019 is a lost year anyway.  Use the draft picks to fill as many of the other holes as possible, OL, S, pass rusher, etc.  Try to build a base for next year.  Then in '20 go find that franchise qb.

This is the thinking I just can't agree with.  The assumption that next year we will find a franchise guy just sitting there waiting for us when there is nothing in the history of football to suggest that it works that way.  I know a lot of people are high on next years projected QB class but regardless of that there is no actual guarantee that any of the guys who come out will actually make it and so to not kick the tires on a possible solution now because we are waiting for 2020 is the definition of putting all your eggs in one basket. 

Trading for Rosen does not take anything off the table for next year but in the event that he does work out we actually free ourselves up from having to take a QB next year and again we have to do something this year as right now we only have 1 fit QB on the roster.  Rosen is cheaper and has significantly more upside than any of the retreads likely to be found in FA.  I would not advocate getting into a bidding war for him but if he is available for a second day pick then we would be pretty stupid not do it.

15 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

BTW: Before it starts, no need to defend working at McDonald's as him saying something bad. I worked fast food. It sucks and I was a manager. That's why at age 33 I went to college to get an engineering degree.

Jeebus, we're twins separated at birth lol...I was working at Little Caesar's pizza and at TCBY (The Country's Yogurt)--and at both places as manager--before I went to college--at age 33(!)--to get my graphic design degree lol...and yeah, the level of suck that is working fast food (at least as an adult) is quite the motivator for going back to college.

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

woosah brother

I don't think anyone is rooting for us to lose, but it's not unrealistic to have rational expectations.  We're not in a very favorable situation, and the expectations can be tampered.  I don't see us as a team that is likely to be in any sort of contention next season.  That doesn't mean i'm not going to watch every game hoping to see a victory... but at the end of the year if we end up 5-11 or 6-10, i'm not going to look back and say we under-achieved.  Sitting where we're at RIGHT NOW, that seems like a realistic prediction... That said, i'm not ROOTING for us to achieve that win / loss total.  We can still make some moves and I actually think we're closer to being in a favorable position, but it's going to take the right moves to do it.  

13 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yeh, i get the frustration with the idea that the season is already lost, and we should tank, and what not. To me, this stuff is an exercise to find ways to make us not suck this year. I promise you there is a combination that could be put together that could make us a playoff team. Doesn't mean we are going to hit that combo, but I am of the belief that no season is lost before it starts. Even if it is just a ceiling of a wild card birth, I would always rather win more games than I lose, than count on a tank job and the mythical rebound that occurs afterwards. As long as we aren't sacrificing the future for it of course, which we have done a couple of times in the past. 

25+ years of suck and counting and there are still fans thinking there is actual hope that we're going to get it done next year and win the Super bowl?

And we're currently without a Qb.

Newsflash: Bumbling Bruce and Doofus Dan will once again swim upstream against the current to produce one more 6-10 to 9-7 season. 

But see how close we are?

me·di·o·cre

Dictionary result for mediocre

/ˌmēdēˈōkər/
adjective
  1. of only moderate quality; not very good.
    "a mediocre actor"
    synonyms:

ordinary, common, commonplace, indifferent, average, middle-of-the-road, middling, medium, moderate

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

25+ years of suck and counting and there are still fans thinking there is actual hope that we're going to get it done next year and win the Super bowl?

And we're currently without a Qb.

Newsflash: Bumbling Bruce and Doofus Dan will once again swim upstream against the current to produce one more 6-10 to 9-7 season. 

But see how close we are?

me·di·o·cre

Dictionary result for mediocre

/ˌmēdēˈōkər/
adjective
  1. of only moderate quality; not very good.
    "a mediocre actor"
    synonyms:

ordinary, common, commonplace, indifferent, average, middle-of-the-road, middling, medium, moderate

Don't think anyone is expecting us to win the Super Bowl. And the fact that you think Bruce and Dan can't do better than mediocre, is even more of a reason not to believe we are going to tank and then rebuild a SB team. I would rather be 9-7 than 2-14. Just me. But everyone fans differently.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

woosah brother

Your right..sorry about that.. I know better to let my emotions run wild..

13 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Your right..sorry about that.. I know better to let my emotions run wild..

nah buddy you're good. 

I actually am closer to your line of thought because there are a handful of fans out there that have been sold this notion that you've got to be really good or really bad.  

personally i am very anti - losing on purpose.   I am however very in favor of development and grooming young talent.  At times there needs to be a decision made when truly analyzing the team and their position.  There are plenty of times that you could pick up a veteran and pay them money with the idea of 1 or 2 more wins over the course of a season.. but going into that season you KNOW you're not truly in a position to compete..  meanwhile you have a younger player you have drafted who can gain A LOT from that season of experience, who would lose that if you sign that vet.... that's not losing on purpose, but it is not necessarily giving ALL to win EVERY single possible game, if its a marginal difference and can slow the development of another player. 

Mike Lombardi on Grant and Danny just said that Gruden likes to play from under center with a lot of play action so Murray may  not work out even if we have a shot....

Am I crazy?  I thought, at least my biggest concern, was how much we WERENT under center, and how much we lined up taking the threat of the run out of the equation... also asking AP to RUN out of the shotgun instead of in a power I or single back set.... am I nuts?  Am I remembering last year differently than it happened? 

24 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Mike Lombardi on Grant and Danny just said that Gruden likes to play from under center with a lot of play action so Murray may  not work out even if we have a shot....

Am I crazy?  I thought, at least my biggest concern, was how much we WERENT under center, and how much we lined up taking the threat of the run out of the equation... also asking AP to RUN out of the shotgun instead of in a power I or single back set.... am I nuts?  Am I remembering last year differently than it happened? 

Lombardi is good radio but that doesn't mean he always know what he is talking about -- and had a terrible track record as a personnel guy, something he always spins.

Gruden does love PA, but he has gone to shotgun more and more. 

Maybe he was talking about Jon.

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

Lombardi is good radio but that doesn't mean he always know what he is talking about -- and had a terrible track record as a personnel guy, something he always spins.

Gruden does love PA, but he has gone to shotgun more and more. 

Maybe he was talking about Jon.

Ok so i'm not losing it so much.  

What kills me is he loves PA, yet for the first time we had a legit threat in the backfield, it was a very sparse part of the offense from under center

Archived