Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I actually think a 2nd round pick is a borderline steal.   And its not that i am 100% sold on Rosen.  He could bust.  But I am sold that he has the talent to be molded into a franchise QB -- those guys don't grow on trees let alone could be had easily after round 1.

It would be a borderline steal, I agree...but I'm really hoping that if we end up with Rosen it's for a 3rd at best, even if it requires that perfect storm of FO incompetence on the Cards and Skins that BatteredFanSyndrome alluded to earlier lol...

Also, I'm of the belief that Rosen can at least be groomed into a bonafide #2 QB if nothing else, and we (like every team) can absolutely use one no matter who the starter ends up being in 2020 and beyond. Maybe he'll end up being our Foles lol...

1 hour ago, LightningBuggs said:

Agree with all of this 100%.  

Rosen is simply not good at football.  I particularly love when people defend him by saying it was because he played on a bad team.  Have they looked at the Redskin roster?  It's every bit as bad as the Cardinals.

What is wrong with waiting a year and drafting a better young QB in '20 or '21?  I know the FO is in full moron mode already and will do something stupid but I was hoping the fans weren't onboard with that notion.  I know I'm not.

I love it when people forget the one key difference between the two rosters, that I don't know, is literally the most important thing for a rookie. The offensive Line. When healthy (and granted it hasn't been often lately) our Offensive Line is about 10x as good as the Cardinals. There is no easier way to wreck a QB's development, then to saddle said QB with a garbage OL. Even when healthy, the Cardinals line was what, 2 to 3x worse than our injury riddled line? 

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I saw one that had us taking Jones at #15...I think I even saw a mock draft that had us failing to turn in the card in time and losing our pick lol...

Didn't Dallas do that once and they went to next pick for Minnesota but then Dallas got to pick after them so they only missed one slot??   Jerrah getting his way as usual.

17 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

3rd tops for me 

HTTR 

I'd be ecstatic with a 3rd but I think I'd be happy with a second.

To get a potential franchise quarterback and keep our first rounder this year would be a good haul for the skins I think. 

I do worry about why the cardinals are giving up on him, but with the kyler Murray situation and the fact that the draft is such a crapshoot anyway I'd definitely be happy if that scenario played out.

47 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I just saw a mock draft that has us giving up our first for rosen.

Not sure how I'd feel about that.

I think it's gonna take 15 to get him, mostly because of the competition to do so. 

Look, I didn't watch him at all last year but I understood he stunk. He was a rookie tossed into the worst team in the league and forced to start before he was ready. He's got some talent, otherwise he wouldn't have gone top 10 last year. 

Bigger thing though is that he's a young QB with a minuscule cap hit ($2m/yr) for the next three years. That means there's a LOT of teams that would be interested if they view him as still having potential. Not just the teams that definitely need a QB this year, teams that may need a QB in the next 3 years. He's got a backup salary. Chargers should be interested. Pittsburgh. New England. Maybe Carolina with Cam hurt. New Orleans. Minnesota. Eagles after they move Foles. Lions, Bengals, etc etc (then you start getting into the teams that have definitive needs. If even half of those teams view him as more than a reclamation project, Cards will get at least a 2nd rounder for him. Maybe a *high* 2nd for him with NYG, Raiders, Detroit, Jags, etc all set to pick before the Skins. Plus then you have the late 1st rounders from some of the other teams I mentioned. 

On 2/28/2019 at 6:37 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure I agree but it should be interesting if this picks up some real steam if the Cards decide to trade him. 

That'd be an awful trade.  Remember, Rosen's value now has nothing to do with what the Cards paid to get him but, assuming he is traded, the value they obviously put on him now (a mid to late round bust since they are obviously willing to forgo other needs to replace him).  This is the lower bound while the upper bound is how highly he is valued by other teams looking for a QB.  At best, you are only projecting his potential, just like all the other QBs in the draft he's a bit of a project.  At worst, he is a known bust.  You lost 1 year of his rookie deal unlike the projects you might draft this year.  You draft a guy and you got up to 2-3 years before fish or cut bait time while with Rosen you got 1-2 years before fish or cut bait time.  Allen/Gruden must have a decent this year if they want to keep their jobs and the only available route to that is either doubling down on defense (create more SFOs and possibly more defensive scores) or improving an offensive strength (the running game).  If Allen/Gruden do not have a decent year,r we will have a new coach and FO and the best probably would want their guy.

@skinsfan_1215

Good point about his salary not precluding pretty much any team to trade for him, even if they have an older future hall of Famer. Hadn’t thought of that angle in who will compete with Skins for a trade. 

I wonder if Rosen and reps will take hold of situation a bit and have a say of where he goes to play. No way does Rosen want to potentially sit behind an established vet for any period of time. Doesn’t seem wired that way in the least. This line of thinking would open door for Skins and eliminate others. Wishful thinking lol

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

I wonder if Rosen and reps will take hold of situation a bit and have a say of where he goes to play. No way does Rosen want to potentially sit behind an established vet for any period of time. Doesn’t seem wired that way in the least. This line of thinking would open door for Skins and eliminate others. Wishful thinking lol

The problem is his contract provides him little leverage on that front.  They could attempt to make a stink but I don’t see how it would benefit him in the long run.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The problem is his contract provides him little leverage on that front.  They could attempt to make a stink but I don’t see how it would benefit him in the long run.

One of those potentially unique situations that continue to pop up as the NFL is evolves in regards to player movement. 

I just dont see Rosen and reps being cool behind scenes with being dealt to be a back up. I agree it’s a tough position, but a factor is whether player being traded wants to go. Moreso for QBs, because they carry more weight in any decision, no matter if they’re are on a rookie deal. 

Not saying youre wrong in the least, but wouldn’t be surprised if Rosen’s camp leaks a few demands/guidelines if all speculation comes to fruition in coming weeks. 

I think it would depend. If it were a Aaron Rogers situation with him being the clear heir to a great that will retire in a year or two... maybe. If so, being a back up to the Steelers might have some appeal. Patriots? The thing is, it'd have to be a short window, and you'd have to be made certain promises.

The neat thing about that situation is that you could actually join a very good team versus a mess. The danger is, by waiting, that second contract may not materialize the way you need it to... especially if the starting QB holds on for longer than intended.

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yes and no.

Teams dont want players who dont want to be there.

If he comes in with a horrible attitude that wont help those teams at all.

Maybe the teams with a veteran quarterback can convince him that sitting for a year or two is in his best interest but when a player is drafted top ten it's universally expected that he's to be given a legitimate shot as a starter and one partial season on a lousy team is not a legitimate shot.

His leverage is in his draft position and I truly think this whole speculation about his value only being a third round pick is hogwash. 

No way one partial rookie season takes you from tenth overall plus two other picks to a 3rd rounder, unless you do something awful off the field that the whole league knows about.

I also think it'll take a first rounder to get him this year unfortunately. 

But multiple scouts at the 2019 combine told NBC Sports Washington that Rosen would rank very favorably in this year’s QB draft class, and one described Rosen with “crazy arm talent.”

So, if Arizona takes Murray, could Washington trade for Rosen?

Absolutely. 

The Redskins are quite interested in Rosen, particularly because he has at least three years left on his rookie contract. The salaries are low and the potential is high.

Compensation will likely determine if a trade happens. The talk after Rosen’s disappointing rookie year is that he might only cost a third-round pick. 

If so, Washington should pick the phone up ASAP. The team has two picks in the third round, including one as compensation from losing Kirk Cousins to free agency. It would be peak irony if the Redskins get a new QB of the future earned from letting their last QB of the future walk away. 

Even at a second-round pick, Rosen might be worth the cost. The 15th selection, Washington’s first-round choice, might be too pricey for a team with numerous holes to fill. Don’t forget either, maybe the Redskins can do a player-for-player trade to gain Rosen. 

There’s also a much wilder scenario if Arizona doesn’t take Murray. 

The Redskins brass made little attempt to hide their fondness for the 2018 Heisman winner. Gruden said Murray would make an "excellent quarterback" and Williams compared him to Russell Wilson.

Some league sources believe that Washington would try a big move into the Top 5 to select Murray if the Cardinals don’t take him at No. 1. 

That would likely require a swap of first-round picks along with a Pro Bowl caliber player and likely more compensation later in the draft. Along with four picks inside the Top 100, the Redskins have multiple picks in the third and fifth rounds.

Of the first five teams selecting in this year’s draft, only the 49ers at No. 2 and the Jets at No. 3 definitely won't take a quarterback. And based on the dynamic between San Francisco head coach Kyle Shanahan and the Redskins organization, don’t expect any mutually beneficial trades between the two clubs. 

That leaves the Jets, a team with lots of salary cap room and holes all over the field, as the most likely trade partner for Bruce Allen if he decides the Redskins need to move way up. 

It’s unlikely, but it’s not crazy.

I don't really know what a fair deal for Rosen would be. A first or second seems steep but I would be comfortable with that price if that is what Jay felt was the best option available. So yeah, whatever we can get him for if Gruden is sold on him. In my mind if, Jay is going to coach this team next year I want him to have "his guy" to roll with. Whatever QB out of those available, he thinks he can win with. If it dosent work out then at least we gave him the proper amount of rope to hang himself.     

Daniel Jeremiah just stated on the Rich Eisen show that he thinks the compensation will be a first round pick. That Rosen is better than anyone you can get at 13 or 15 if you’re the dolphins or Skins, and if they don’t bite he could see the pats giving their 1st for him.

I don't know what kind of scheme the Cardinals were running on offense last year, but it was so bad even Jeff Fisher would cringe.

With the way Gruden schemes receivers open, Rosen would be in a much better chance to succeed. 

And with the rookie deal he is on, the risk is so minimal.

35 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Daniel Jeremiah just stated on the Rich Eisen show that he thinks the compensation will be a first round pick. That Rosen is better than anyone you can get at 13 or 15 if you’re the dolphins or Skins, and if they don’t bite he could see the pats giving their 1st for him.

I've been saying from the beginning that it would at least start with a 1st round pick then could move up from there.  Get him Skins!  We give up a 1st, to me it's a great deal for the Skins.

38 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I can see that on NE's side of things.  They supposedly liked Rosen last year, too.  As hard as I am selling I'd do it in a heartbeat for a 3rd or even a 2nd -- I'd be out for a first but wouldn't completely hate it.  My cliff notes take on Josh is he looks like he can be the next Matt Ryan type, not an elite QB but a good one.  He has similar arm strength and with better footwork than him IMO. But there IMO is also a chance he's a cross between Eli and Rex Grossman -- hampered by poor decision making/turnover gene that might not be easily conquered. 

I am more positive about his outlook than negative but still seems to have a wildcard element to him.  That's fine with me for a 2nd or 3rd rounder but not so much with a first considering all the talent in this draft where I think there is a good shot a really good one falls to us. 

Rosen is a different type of player to me to Drew Lock.  But they both to me are similar in that they got good upside where it wouldn't surprise me if Lock and Rosen end up franchise QBs but also it wouldn't shock me if they end up busts.   But if the price for Rosen is a first then I'd rather play within this current draft and if they are determined to make a move on QB --  i like Lock over Rosen and I think they have a shot at getting him -- so then I'd choose that route.

Archived