Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay was just on, he thinks they want to trade for Rosen or trade up for Murray. Whichever of the 2 scenarios is possible.

Finlay was just on, he thinks they want to trade for Rosen or trade up for Murray. Whichever of the 2 scenarios is possible.

Finlay is probably right on that first line but is off his rocker on that second one.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So the conversation with the Cards would likely have been about both options - a trade up to the first overall and/or the price for Rosen if they want Murray.

Of those two option and factoring in the likely price to trade up to the first overall pick I want Rosen. We have way too many needs and a cap hamstrung by the Alex Smith situation to be pushing all the chips onto one number on a huge trade up for a QB again.

Just now, OVCChairman said:

I do have to admit, if our FO can pull off getting Rosen for a 3rd, they deserve some compliment here, because of the options out there...  this might be the one i like the most.  This would be a savvy move, regardless of how it turns out.

If we got Rosen for a 3rd it would be daylight robbery. And Keim should be sacked immediately afterwards.

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I do have to admit, if our FO can pull off getting Rosen for a 3rd, they deserve some compliment here, because of the options out there...  this might be the one i like the most.  This would be a savvy move, regardless of how it turns out.

I agree that a 3rd would be a great deal.  But if the price is a 3rd, it’s more of an indictment on the Cards top brass than it is savvy for whoever lands Rosen.  I’d replace savvy with lucky.  Perhaps the yin to the yang of Alex’s broken leg.

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Finlay is probably right on that first line but is off his rocker on that second one.

No way to know. But he is echoing what Craig Hoffman keeps saying which is they really really love Kyler.

Hoffman has been quashing as opposed to fueling trade rumors with the exception of the Rosen one. He was going on yesterday about how the Redskins FO see the qb class as Kyler easily #1 best then the rest are in a different tier.

Lot of smoke that they love Kyler. But does that translate to them trading for him if they can? Who knows.

Finlay also said that he is getting a strong vibe they are about to do something aggressive and want a splash. That's a 180 for Finlay from weeks ago. Keim has said the same and he is typically conservative with throwing stuff out there.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

So the conversation with the Cards would likely have been about both options - a trade up to the first overall and/or the price for Rosen if they want Murray.

Of those two option and factoring in the likely price to trade up to the first overall pick I want Rosen. We have way too many needs and a cap hamstrung by the Alex Smith situation to be pushing all the chips onto one number on a huge trade up for a QB again.

If we got Rosen for a 3rd it would be daylight robbery. And Keim should be sacked immediately afterwards.

What about this year's 3rd and next year's 3rd or 4th? I would think that would be enough to get it done.. assuming nobody offers a 1st or 2nd.

I've gotta think that his value is going to be torpedoed by the Murray chatter.. Teams know he is a dead man walking and I doubt they'd be willing to give up the farm knowing the Cards have not nearly as much leverage as they'd like.

Has anyone looked at the qb needy teams who may be in play for Rosen and what they have to offer?

5 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

What about this year's 3rd and next year's 3rd or 4th? I would think that would be enough to get it done.. assuming nobody offers a 1st or 2nd.

I've gotta think that his value is going to be torpedoed by the Murray chatter.. Teams know he is a dead man walking and I doubt they'd be willing to give up the farm knowing the Cards have not nearly as much leverage as they'd like.

Has anyone looked at the qb needy teams who may be in play for Rosen and what they have to offer?

Well the Dolphins pick before us for a start. So their picks have slightly more value than ours.

But you are right the value will be driven by who is bidding - the more teams interested the more i will take to get it done. This is if the Cards actually decide to move him.

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Thinking more and more about it, I don't think it's robbery. 

Lets look at the teams who came into this offseason 'needing' a QB.  Teams that would be likely to take a QB in the 1st round.  

Giants

Jaguars

Redskins

now a couple more teams have changed their minds a bit to change the dynamic. 

Jaguars - Expected to add Foles at start of league year

Broncos - Weren't expected but now have traded for Flacco

Cardinals - Drafted Rosen but now supposedly all in on Murray

Dolphins - Decision to make on Tannehill

So the teams possibly DRAFTING a QB in the 1st round - 

Cardinals - Murray @ 1

Giants

Redskins

Miami?

Who else?  I feel like i'm missing someone, but i could be wrong. 

There are a few teams that wouldnt be a surprise, but most of the rest of the teams aren't starving for a starting QB right now. 

There have been reports of 5 QBs going in the first this year.  Murray, Haskins, Lock, Jones, (insert random reach to get 5th year option like Grier).

This is why I think Murray declaring changed a ton of the dynamic.  There are a handful of options that teams may be able to draft, and not even look at Rosen.  There are also a handful of QBs on the market now that can fill in while teams groom their own guy. 

Keenum

Tannehill

Bortles

Fitz

Bridgewater

If a team wants to draft their own guy, they may have the chance to do it, and Rosen may not be as highly sought after as the Cardinals may think. 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

If the right guy falls... he could change our team, or someone could get desperate to come up and get him, and we could get some serious value for it.  

I get what you are saying, and I have that nagging feeling as well...but nothing at the 15th pick can change the team for years to come more than a quality starting QB on a rookie deal...

26 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Thinking more and more about it, I don't think it's robbery. 

Lets look at the teams who came into this offseason 'needing' a QB.  Teams that would be likely to take a QB in the 1st round.  

Giants

Jaguars

Redskins

now a couple more teams have changed their minds a bit to change the dynamic. 

Jaguars - Expected to add Foles at start of league year

Broncos - Weren't expected but now have traded for Flacco

Cardinals - Drafted Rosen but now supposedly all in on Murray

Dolphins - Decision to make on Tannehil

All reports are the Dolphins are moving on from Tannehill (as they should!). 

If Foles goes to the Jags that leaves Dolphins, Giants and us. Giants are not trading that high a first round pick for Rosen and seem to be looking hard at Haskins - but their second round pick would trump us and Miami.

I think the market for Rosen comes down to us or the Dolphins. But one wild card I will throw out there is New England.

Just now, MartinC said:

All reports are the Dolphins are moving on from Tannehill (as they should!). 

If Foles goes to the Jags that leaves Dolphins, Giants and us. Giants are not trading that high a first round pick for Rosen and seem to be looking hard at Haskins - but their second round pick would trump us and Miami.

I think the market for Rosen comes down to us or the Dolphins. But one wild card I will throw out there is New England.

Absolutely NE is the wild card, I agree

But like I said, there's possibly 5 QBs in the 1st round.... who else wants to use a 1st rounder on a QB right now?  

7 minutes ago, dballer said:

I get what you are saying, and I have that nagging feeling as well...but nothing at the 15th pick can change the team for years to come more than a quality starting QB on a rookie deal...

But that's the problem, we don't know if Rosen is actually starting quality. He's had one mediocre year, and comparing that with Daron Payne instantly making the defense better the moment he stepped on the field? I'd rather keep that first rounder in the bank than spend it on a flyer for a damaged-goods QB.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

But that's the problem, we don't know if Rosen is actually starting quality. He's had one mediocre year, and comparing that with Daron Payne instantly making the defense better the moment he stepped on the field? I'd rather keep that first rounder in the bank than spend it on a flyer for a damaged-goods QB.

I don't think anyone wants to use 15 on Rosen.  

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

I don't think anyone wants to use 15 on Rosen.  

That's literally what the person I was quoting was supporting. That Rosen is a starting quality QB, and that he's worth the pick over an unknown draft pick.

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

A mediocre year on a really bad team. Lot's of QBs who have gone on to be really good had horrific numbers their first year. Looking at some of the games he played he actually did some really good things sprinkled with some bad decisions and being under pressure most drop backs.

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

But like I said, there's possibly 5 QBs in the 1st round.... who else wants to use a 1st rounder on a QB right now?  

I'm just some guy on the internet so what do I know - but there are only 3 QBs I would use a first round pick on this year. Murray, Haskins and Lock. Which is not to say you are wrong about maybe as many as 5 getting drafted.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

That's literally what the person I was quoting was supporting. That Rosen is a starting quality QB, and that he's worth the pick over an unknown draft pick.

wow I dont know what the heck I was reading, I'm sorry... I missed that original post.... :silly:

Just now, MartinC said:

A mediocre year on a really bad team. Lot's of QBs who have gone on to be really good had horrific numbers their first year. Looking at some of the games he played he actually did some really good things sprinkled with some bad decisions and being under pressure most drop backs.

Absolutely, he's got good potential. I just don't think his potential is worth a 1st rounder. I'd put it in the same category as Jared Goff under Fisher. We'd be HOPING that we can do for Rosen what McVay did for Goff. No way I'd spend a 1st rounder for Goff after how he looked under Fisher. My conversation would start at a second round pick and build a package from there.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Absolutely, he's got good potential. I just don't think his potential is worth a 1st rounder. I'd put it in the same category as Jared Goff under Fisher. We'd be HOPING that we can do for Rosen what McVay did for Goff. No way I'd spend a 1st rounder for Goff after how he looked under Fisher. My conversation would start at a second round pick and build a package from there.

Yep - that's fair. But price will depend on the market for him. If other teams get involved it might take more than just a 2nd.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'm just some guy on the internet so what do I know - but there are only 3 QBs I would use a first round pick on this year. Murray, Haskins and Lock. Which is not to say you are wrong about maybe as many as 5 getting drafted.

Right, so it's very possible that the teams that DO want a 1st round QB are limited enough, and there may be enough guys out there, that the Rosen market is not exactly a large one.  

11 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Now here's a REAL wildcard: Cincinnati. After Driskel and Dalton last season, I've got to imagine that if one of the top 5 QB drops their way, they'd be hard pressed to pass it up.

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

wow I dont know what the heck I was reading, I'm sorry... I missed that original post.... :silly:

No worries lol

Archived