Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

The only reason I don't think this thread is too early is because I don't believe it should be Colt, regardless of what happens with Alex.  It would be a mistake in my opinion to go into next year with a career backup as our starter, we should not do that, that's not why he's here, he's here in case of what just happened to Alex.

Having said that, I'm not having luck finding a QB in the draft that will make sense around the time that we will be drafting.  It make me wonder if we maybe should be thinking about drafting a QB in the second round as opposed to the first.  I'd be perfectly fine trading down just to have someone we can at least develop into the next Colt McCoy for us.

Heard on CBS that the broken leg is confirmed, so it sounds like it could be leg and ankle, that could very well be career threatening for a mobile 34 year old QB.  It may be premature but I would not be shocked if the retirement talk started and it came from us pushing for it.  We've already been frustrated by him, and there's no telling how long it will take to get back to form, which wasn't good this year anyway.  Who's to say he ever gets back to the guy we traded for, do we really want to wait to find out?

That comes to free agency.  Teddy Bridgewater contract doesn't make any sense to me, could use some help confirming if we are waiting on the Saints to void the final years or not for him to be a free agent.  Otherwise, I don't see anyone that I would sign, its not like last year where there were a couple guys would've been reasonable stopgaps.  Tyrod Taylor?  No thanks.

So ya, I don't know what the clear answer is on this one, but I do believe its fair to say we don't have to wait to have it all things considered.  There's something else I want to add to this that I don't want to get banned for so I'll just say that both that opinion and that decision was not worth it.

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

I want the guy in SF

Talking about Beathard?  Not against it, he seems serviceable, which is why I would be careful with what we give to get him.  He is under contract until 2021 offseason, so that would buy us two years for him to compete with Colt and hopefully see a better draft prospect in that time frame.

To answer the OP question...man. I don’t know yet. The redskins have tried a few things at QB, nothing has seemed to work. The 2012 guy, that didn’t work. The other 2012 guy, didn’t work. Alex Smith? Didn’t work to this point and now he’s gone for the year. The skins probably won’t be in any position in the draft to pick a QB in the 1st round. And do we trust this FO to even make the right choice on a QB in the draft and to not ruin him? 

Its frustrating. In all my life i have Yet to see a QB who we can count on to get us to the playoffs each season. I doubt we’ll have one until 2021, maybe even longer than that...ugh. 

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

To answer the OP question...man. I don’t know yet. The redskins have tried a few things at QB, nothing has seemed to work. The 2012 guy, that didn’t work. The other 2012 guy, didn’t work. Alex Smith? Didn’t work to this point and now he’s gone for the year. The skins probably won’t be in any position in the draft to pick a QB in the 1st round. And do we trust this FO to even make the right choice on a QB in the draft and to not ruin him? 

Its frustrating. In all my life i have Yet to see a QB who we can count on to get us to the playoffs each season. I doubt we’ll have one until 2021, maybe even longer than that...ugh. 

Voting "Too Early to Answer" because I don't know either, but my preference is to find someone worth drafting.  This is going to require a lot of homework and some combine results, I do not want to tie up our resources in another stop gap like what we did with Alex, that was too much GD money, that has to go to the future.

I mean, **** it, I'd be fine allocating resources to making the rest of the team better if we can't find who our future guy this year will be.

1 minute ago, REDSKINS JR said:

what kinda cap $ if Alex retires....what happens

It'd be like if he cut himself, then we can ask for a certain amount of the signing bonus back that he won't get by not playing (amount depends), to keep it from counting against the cap.  A lot of his signing bonus is promised for next year depending on when he would be cut, regardless of its us or him.

Oooh, we love a good quarterback controversy, don’t we?

Snyder is champing at the bit for all of us dimwits to start speculating about who will be under center next season.  It’ll create interest, something that has been sorely lacking with this team.

Will it be a proven/unproven veteran like McCoy?  Will we draft a young stud?  Will we pick up a veteran in the offseason?  Will we trade for Tom Brady?

Whatever it is, Snyder has a rager... right now.

I see this as a pivotal moment. The Alex Smith signing was a win now move. 

With all the injuries, and Smith done, and no obvious blue chips for us next draft..... What do we do? 

I think we give Colt a young backup, and start unloading expensive vets in the off-season. 

I hope Colt plays well enough to get Bruce fired.  Meaning the gap in his and Smith's play is small enough to show that the trade wasn't necessary in the first place, and then we massively overpaid for what we got.  The absolute last thing I want to do is bring in another vet QB in the off-season.    

Long term I think it's about time we start looking at QBs in the draft, but this upcoming draft class isn't strong at the position, and we probably wouldn't be in an ideal position to grab one anyways.  

11 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

There's a very real chance that Alex Smith's career is over.  Next June, it's time to spend a high pick on a quarterback, and either sit him behind Colt McCoy for half a season or throw him into the fire right away.  

I would almost agree with this if not for one fact.  I have never seen the beat writers and draftniks more united than they are this year on the fact that the 2019 draft will be the all time worst draft in living history for Quarterbacks.  I don't see anyone out there personally and so my preference would be to roll with Alex/Colt another veteran and keep building the rest of the team and look to the draft for a QB in 2020 when some legitimate NFL talent is expected to be there.  If Alex is done and we don't see enough from Colt then I would be fine with a Fitzpatrick or similar on a 12 month deal, maybe out scouts can find a bargain in the later rounds but I am not holding my breath on that one.

Archived