Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Hoffman on again, he's pushing this narrative of a 2nd and a third for Rosen.  To me that's a bit high.  I'd go a 2nd as my top offer.  I admit a lot of that is because I am higher on Drew Lock than most.  Not that I think he's a slam dunk bonafide franchise QB but I like him better than Rosen and I think he will be within range of that first round pick.     But if they can get Rosen for a third, I'd do it in a second.  For a 2nd rounder, I'd probably do it, too.  Not a first rounder. 

this is from a paid account, a snippet from an article.

rosenarticle.png

I am kind of pissed only the Jags are interested in Foles.

I wanted no teams interested in him, to screw Philly trying to be slick selling him on a high.   I will stick to my guns that Foles is the one they should keep, and sell Wentz gets Bentz instead.

Circling on topic, a guy on Chad Dukes was saying he was surprised we werent in on Foles (cap duh), nor any team other than Jax.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

I am kind of pissed only the Jags are interested in Foles.

I wanted no teams interested in him, to screw Philly trying to be slick selling him on a high.   I will stick to my guns that Foles is the one they should keep, and sell Wentz gets Bentz instead.

Circling on topic, a guy on Chad Dukes was saying he was surprised we werent in on Foles (cap duh), nor any team other than Jax.

Think it's a possibility they're trying to figure out if Smith is coming back before making any decisions?

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Think it's a possibility they're trying to figure out if Smith is coming back before making any decisions?

I had assumed our cap situation made that boat sail away real fast.  Sure, we can restructure contracts for bonus money e.g. our old tricks, but we could also be gun shy for trading for a ~30 year old QB. When the best thing going for a trade is that its not dealing with Andy Reid, maybe its best to rethink it.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if this guy is within range of 15. that's who I want.  Just watched Finlay say he reminds him some of Baker attitude wise from conversations he had.    I've liked Lock for a long time, not loved him but as we get closer to the finish line am liking him more. 😀

I think Lock has really helped himself so far leading up to the draft. All the reports are he was great in meetings. He also had the best arm on the field at the combine outside of Tyree. By the way Tyree may end up being the best QB in this draft. Or he may end up the biggest bust.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if this guy is within range of 15. that's who I want.  Just watched Finlay say he reminds him some of Baker attitude wise from conversations he had.    I've liked Lock for a long time, not loved him but as we get closer to the finish line am liking him more. 😀

I wouldn't hate it, but...I don't know how I'd feel about running that kid out behind a line that needs an LG, a spotty defense, hardly any receivers and a running game who's feature back is coming off an ACL injury and/or an old legend.  

It's an increasingly old school take but sometimes I think taking a rookie QB and sitting them on the bench for a year isn't a bad idea.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think Lock has really helped himself so far leading up to the draft. All the reports are he was great in meetings. He also had the best arm on the field at the combine outside of Tyree. By the way Tyree may end up being the best QB in this draft. Or he may end up the biggest bust.

Tyree's accuracy worries me but yeah he's one beast of an athlete for that position.   Lock's inconsistency worries me so he's no slam dunk for me.  But picking at 15 -- you aren't getting the Andrew Luck more flawless type of prospects.  Love Lock's personality from what I've seen and heard.  He's a good athlete.  He has a gun.   He can throw the ball at times accurately from weird angles on the move.   I've done a more detailed analysis on the draft thread.  If I am choosing among:  Rosen, D. Jones, Grier, Stidham, etc -- Lock to me stands out.    And some like Cooley and Chris Simms would go even further and say Lock is better than Haskins.  I am not sure but I haven't studied Haskins, yet.  And some will say Rosen is clearly better than Lock.  I am not one of the Rosen haters on this thread but I'd take Lock over him.  

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I wouldn't hate it, but...I don't know how I'd feel about running that kid out behind a line that needs an LG, a spotty defense, hardly any receivers and a running game who's feature back is coming off an ACL injury and/or an old legend.  

It's an increasingly old school take but sometimes I think taking a rookie QB and sitting them on the bench for a year isn't a bad idea.

Young QBs are so hard to find.   If you got one within range to grab without giving up the store and you love the dude then IMO take him.  If you don't then don't force it.    I am presuming they are getting a LG and a receiver this off season.  So maybe they will fix that issue. 

All fair points. I did watch tape on all of those guys. And to me Haskins is the safest QB in this draft. He has got some of the best medium range accuracy I have ever seen. I have him rated as my number one QB by a ways in all honesty. And I know people love Murray. But I wouldnt touch him at 15 even. He may prove me wrong. But just based on his attitude alone I am not spending a first rounder on that guy.

3 hours ago, Nerm said:

If I was the Cards GM, and drafted Murray, I would still keep Rosen if I couldn't get a 1st round pick for him.  Any backup they sign will be more expensive than Rosen.  Unless they think Rosen is a complete bust (or a locker room cancer), I think it would be smarter to keep him as a backup than to trade him for a late 2nd or a couple 3rd round picks.  

Absolutely. Trading Rosen for that little is pure idiocy. I get why he wants "his guy," we've seen numerous GM's and Coaches over the years make immediate trades to address QB (see Spurrier bringing in a bunch of former Gators, Gibbs II immediate trade for Boonell, Shanny's immediate trade for McNabb, Jay's immediate benching of RGIII for Cousins), and this would be just one more example, but it doesn't justify throwing a QB virtually everyone had as the 1B QB in last year's class, and as Matt Waldman argued, perhaps the cleanest QB prospect to come out the past half decade. It makes no sense.

We should jump all over it.

I see some posters calling this insanity and EVERYTHING they are basing their view upon appears to be his poor play with the 32nd best team in the league last year who had two different OC's during the season and fired the HC immediately after the season concluded. No OL: Check No Playmakers: Check (other than David Johnson), No WR's in their prime: Check, no Security Blank TE production: Check (and I like Seals Jones).

Does that excuse how garbage he was? No, but it does explain it. Rookies nearly always struggle historically though it isn't as bad as it used to be (mostly due to rule changes protecting them and their pass catchers to a vastly greater degree than back in the eighties and nineties), but the rookie QB's we see being productive typically have a great OC/Head Coach combo and/or great weapons (Mayfield had Nick Chubb, David Njoku, Jarvis Landry, Josh Gordon (for a while), Antonio Callaway (1st round grade on talent, Undrafted Free Agent on Mental Makeup/Drug arrests), Mahomes in year 2 had the #1 WR, a former top 5 pick at WR (Watkins), the #1 TE, and a top 6 RB in Hunt until he was cut, plus an athletic freak in Conley, Goff had Gurley, Woods, Cooks, and Cooper Kupp, Watson had the best WR in the NFL contender D. Hopkins, and speed burner Will Fuller (when he isn't hurt), and slot extraordinaire when he isn't hurt Keke Coutee, Darnold didn't have much either, but those in the know are aware of Enunwa's talent, and Robby Anderson's explosiveness, and TE Chris Herndon was a stud when he took over the gig, Mitch had Allen Robinson, a great slot guy, and rookie Anthony Miller to go with Adam Shaheen, and Trey Burton, and one of the best satellite backs in the NFL. What did Rosen have? Christian Kirk, who was injured early, and was lost for the season later to another injury, Larry Fitz was a superstar, but his draft day chief competition were guys like KWII and Roy Freaking Williams, that's how old Fitz is. Beyond that, well, the cardinals let all their other WR's go during the '18 offseason other than speedy JJ Nelson and Chad Williams, two guys who combined for fewer than 25 combined receptions.

So again, what are we trying to say here? That Rosen dropped into a perfect situation and sucked? Or that Rosen dropped into a manure pile and was never able to dig his way out? It's not a coincidence that the young QB's who landed in offenses that either had No OL, or no playmakers, or both are the ones that have produced god awful seasons these past five years. Mariota last year was injured, and playing without any surrounding talent, Darnold was at best uneven behind a weak line, and w/sub par weapons, Josh Allen ran well, but didn't pass well, and who would with Buffalo's weapons (zero proven WR's, no talent at TE or RB, McCoy is past it), Lamar Jackson wasn't allowed to throw much, and even if he was, the Baltimore passing game was patchwork, with 1 year FA signings, ditto the running game, look at Prescott's season turn around as they added Amari Cooper and rookie WR Michael Gallup began to turn it around late, Trubisky landed in a Chicago w/no weapons at WR, or RB, and a coach who wouldn't let him pass, and he had his best game of the year when he had to pass, and had a kinda healthy Robinson, Anthony Miller, healthy Shaheen, disappointing Burton, and stud satellite back to throw to, one can go on and on and I have.

Goff sucked with an idiot dinosaur head coach just like Trubisky, bring in a talented offensive coach and add weapons and a better OL and suddenly both look competent, Wentz suddenly looked good the second the Eagles began to add talent for him to throw too before getting hurt again, Mahomes takes over an offense w/the table set and breaks records, Mayfield loses his inept head coach, and produces while surrounded by hypertalented youngsters.

Look you can't pretend bad, isn't bad, and Rosen wasn't good last year. You also can't ignore how utterly god awful his team was. Show me one rookie QB that dominated w/o weapons? <Crickets> Exactly. There aren't any.  You'd have to go back years and years and years to find anyone that actually did anything as a rookie w/an offense anywhere near as bad as Rosen's, and virtually no rookie QB this century fell into an offense that bereft of talent and OL to protect him. 

To quote Matt Waldman:

Link: https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/03/31/matt-waldmans-2018-rookie-scouting-portfolio-pre-draft-is-ready-for-download/

"...Patrick Mahomes and Jared Goff are the only two quarterbacks I liked more than Rosen during the past three years. Like Goff, he’s not going to dazzle with his physical skills but he has the frame, the arm, and the comfort with physicality to play the position at a high level. Rosen might be the most technically-sound quarterback I’ve evaluated....You don’t win big in the NFL without being aggressive. They key is learning when that moment arrives and how to best take your shot. You don’t learn it without experience and experience is sometimes not getting what you want. I prefer quarterbacks who take their shot and aren’t tentative about it. Fail big. Just learn from it. And that’s really the only lingering concern for me, because Rosen has thrown the ball across his body like this year after year after year in the scenarios I’ve described. But so did quarterbacks ranging from Matthew Stafford to John Elway to Nick Foles to Brett Favre. Three of those players are Super Bowl Champions. Two of them are league MVPs.....1.       Rosen will speak his mind and that scares the NFL, because they want their players to be seen but barely heard (unless they’re promoting the league or one of the league’s business partners). The league wants players with the personalities of robots. The best players have never had those personalities...."

There's a lot of technical analysis also in the piece (his write up is enormous, plus he produced some boiler room breakdowns on youtube if you want to hear some more of that), but I don't want to violate any quoting rules. There's also references to the Stanford incident (he apparently made a comment that angered them so much they didn't extend a scholarship offer despite Rosen being the consensus 1 to 1A QB in the '14 class), and to the Dilfer incident in his piece if you want to read about that stuff. 

Suffice it to say, while the guys I respect the most had Mayfield #1 last year, as I did, the rest of the guys I respect had Rosen #1 or #2. I trust what I saw at UCLA, a lot more than what I saw w/a miserable excuse for a Cardinals team (and that's saying something). I'd pay a top 15 w/o a second thought because I view Rosen as a Matt Ryan type talent, and that's #1 overall pick talent. Do you give up a 15th overall for that? Hell yes, especially when you add how miniscule the contract would be. If we could get him for cheaper, of course I'd do it. He's a better QB prospect than any QB in this draft easily, even Murray. Murray's got more talent, but he also has a significantly lower floor because of his size/height issues, and lack of college experience. This is a terrible QB class. I'd give only two QB's in this class a first round grade, and I don't think any of them other than Haskins and Murray come within the same universe as Rosen as a prospect. 

It is STEALING to get him for less than a 1st, and a good trade to get him for a first.

While we'd be saddling him with an equally disappointing collection of weapons at the playmaker positions, he would get competent TE play from Reed and Sprinkle, he would be getting a healthy Guice back, and a nice satellite back, and most importantly (if they can stay healthy), a vastly superior offensive line, which is more important than any other factor when it comes to rookie and developing young QB's. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

All fair points. I did watch tape on all of those guys. And to me Haskins is the safest QB in this draft. He has got some of the best medium range accuracy I have ever seen. I have him rated as my number one QB by a ways in all honesty. And I know people love Murray. But I wouldnt touch him at 15 even. He may prove me wrong. But just based on his attitude alone I am not spending a first rounder on that guy.

I haven't bothered watching Haskins since the season.  I presumed Haskins is out of our range.  He's gotten beaten up recently  -- which surprised me from some people I normally trust opinion wise.   But plenty love him.  If Rosen is better than Haskins as many draft geeks are saying -- it makes me have some concerns for Haskins albeit I do like Rosen.  I got to rewatch Haskins. 

I've watched a lot of Murray (whom I love), Lock (who I like but love his potential), D. Jones (am a big critic of him, overrated), Stidham (don't like, great arm but a mess under pressure), Finley (not bad for a 2nd tier QB), Grier (I like at times but don't love, a wild card), Rypien (he's Ok).   As for Rosen in that mix.   I don't buy that he's this slam dunk stud that some draft geek types are swearing by or that he's the 2nd best QB in this class which almost every mock draft person is saying.  But if Jay can break his pattern of making bad decisions than he could be really good because he has a quick release, a good arm, great feet.  I felt vindicated some by Cooley's film review of him today -- a lot of what he said was what I noticed to and put on this thread and we had the same concern -- turnovers.   Can that be coached out of him?  Hopefully, yes, if we trade for him. 

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I would rather keep Doctson if we are getting Rosen. Rosen WILL give Doc chances. Not saying those chances will end up netting a good result. But he will get his chances with Rosen under center.

I'm not going to quibble if they wanted Doctson, he's entering year four of his rookie deal and is a big disappointment, I totally blew my eval of him, though I, like almost everyone else called that he would suck with Alex Smith as his QB because there wasn't a worse match in terms of skill set than an Alex Smith, and a Josh Doctson. With Rosen, Doctson might blow up, Rosen would definitely give him plenty of chances, but at the same time, we've almost run out his rookie deal and probably won't resign him, so if I need to toss him in w/a day 2 pick for Rosen, I don't even stop for a second to think before saying yes. 

3 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

i CAN'T Believe what i am reading here. Did you guys actually watch the NFL outside of Redskins games this year, Josh rosen is straight garbage. I wouldn't give up a 6 th round pick for this guy. WTF

And why is this? Because he played poorly with a contender for league worst OL, and league worst pass catchers? For Gods sake they let go the only WR's who were proven last year (other than Fitz) and those guys were John Brown and Jaron Brown (the fantasy nemesis twins), their TE was non-existent and their fool OC decided that the best pass catching back in the NFL by a mile should be used instead pile driver style like freaking Jordan Howard. 

What QB is going to be successful working with a fired after 1 year coach, fired in midseason OC, worst OL possibly in the league, and that collection of non-existent playermakers (sans Fitz's retirement tour, and a misused David Johnson). 

It's absurd. Watch the guys UCLA tape. Good and bad, that's who he is right now, and that's a top QB prospect. No QB would have been successful in Arizona, not even freaking Tom Brady. 

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Rosen is terrible.  

Guys, I get it, we want a good, young QB.  But this place smells more desperate than teens getting ready for prom night.

That's not analysis, nor is watching a half dozen cardinals games. Watch his work at UCLA before he fell into a giant manure pile called the 2018 Arizona Cardinals. 

There is a reason Rosen was the #1 QB in the '14 class, and generally 1 or 1A on every scouts list when it came to the '18 rookie class. He's an elite prospect whose rookie year was a derailed by a worst case scenario across the board (Fired Coach, Incompetent OC who was also fired midseason, ghastly OL, no field stretching WR's and no proven WR talent under 35 years old, no TE, and a misused RB). Nobody succeeds in that scenario. NOBODY. 

It's very simple.  If the Cardinals felt that Rosen was a legit, #1 franchise QB...if they saw him in the light of a guy like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Brees...hell, even a Cam Newton type...they wouldn't be flirting with the idea of drafting Murray and slashing his jersey prices at the store.  

And if a team as ****ty as the Cardinals feels that way, there's no reason to think a team as dumb as the Redskins could do anything with him to make him great.  We're just as ****ty as they are, it's not like we've got some great QB program to straighten a guy like that out.

New Head Coaches want their guy. Examples include every redskins coach going back to Norv Turner, every single one of them, and virtually every new hire in recent years. Yes it's idiotic to do this, but newly hired coaches do this all the time, especially w/young QB's they didn't draft. Indeed the only time this doesn't seem to happen w/a newly hired coach is if there is already a veteran of solid to above average quality on the roster, if not, they'll draft their own guy. When you have an unproven Rosen coming off an awful year, it doesn't shock me at all that a new HC would want to get his sparkly new QB, rather than be saddled w/someone else's. New coaches want to win or lose with their guys, not a previous regimes (unless they're proven). 

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

I live in Phoenix. I watched 5 of his games.

Instead of watching him try to work his way through an avalanche of horse manure falling on his head every week w/the Cardinals in '18 take a look at what got him at the top of so many draft boards in the first place, his UCLA work. You can't exactly evaluate a QB when he has zero OL, nothing functional at the playmaking positions, and incompetent coaching at OC, and the HC level (so bad the OC didn't even make it to December before getting canned).

I'm not a fan of Trubisky, but there's no arguing the difference between rookie Trubisky and year 2 Trubisky w/competent coaching in weapons, the same was true with Goff, the same will probably be true with Darnold eventually. Ever watch Ben Roth his first year in Pittsburgh? He was god awful? Early Drew Brees? Not pretty. Lamar Jackson was barely allowed to throw and had no running game or WR's w/a long term proven track record, what might he do w/weapons? Look what happened to Derek Carr? Does he suck, or did the Raiders get rid of all the talent around him and expect him to succeed anyway? Is it a coincidence that Josh Allen looked awful as a QB in Buffalo, but Mahomes looked like a God in KC? Could part of it be that Mahomes is awesome AND he was put in a situation where you'd actively have to try to suck, to fail, while Allen (who I don't think is good) had to make do w/the worst WR collection in the NFL, and LeSean McCoy's corpse?

No young QB will ever be successful if they're handed the keys to an offense designed and run by a fool, and featuring a non-existent OL, and little to no talent at WR other than a 35 year old Fitz, and a misused David Johnson and zilch at TE.  

Not every QB that starts off like Goff has the turnaround that he did.  And he DOES have a QB whisperer on his sideline, someone that's talking to him through his helmet until he gets up to the line of scrimmage.  

Yep, and that's the issue.  Bruce and Jay are fighting for their jobs...well, maybe just Jay.  They gotta win.

The Redskins should just do the Spiff plan.  Draft a QB in every round.  We've got...9 picks?  Pick 9 quarterbacks.  Odds are one will shake out.

No offense, but when you have a chance to trade for a QB that had evals a 1000x better than QB's not named Kyler Murray in this class, you do it, period. I'd be bummed I wouldn't have him on the first year of a rookie deal because that means 2 years of his rookie contract will be wasted, but so be it, getting an answer at QB on the cheap for years 2019-2022, you do it, that is a fundamental piece of team building. You do not win super bowls without luck and you almost never win super bowls, or even contend for them without franchise options at QB. This is a cheap end around to getting one, much like Seattle did w/getting Russell Wilson so cheap. It allows us to ignore QB on day 1 for the next four years, and focus on solving issues at WR, TE, and on defense, while infusing new young talent for the OL if and when we let certain guys go. If we don't either get Rosen, or suck for the #1 next year, we'll be spinning our wheels for at least another 3-4 years, getting Rosen, or sucking for the 1.01 in '20 is really the only reasonable way to try and solve the QB problem that has afflicted us for the vast majority of our past 25 years of failure. 

33 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Czabe has the perfect analogy.  Rosen is a gently used 10K ford taurus used car on the lot that the cards are trying to get rid of.  Meanwhile, if we wait a bit we can afford a Lexus sportscar in the draft of 2020 and 2021

Nothing says you cant draft a QB in either of those drafts if need be. Rosen is CHEAP. If he fails so be it. You can still draft your guy in 2021.

35 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Czabe has the perfect analogy.  Rosen is a gently used 10K ford taurus used car on the lot that the cards are trying to get rid of.  Meanwhile, if we wait a bit we can afford a Lexus sportscar in the draft of 2020 and 2021

In my constant pro-rosen takes, i don't want people to think I'm for us playing to win in '19, I'm not, and I don't see adding Rosen as a win now move (even though the brass may), I view it as a long term solution to a critical problem, THE PROBLEM, w/regards to QB, but I would also have no problem going 1000% tank for the '20 1.01. Either way works for me. The worst case scenario is no Rosen and us trying and just barely failing to go .500 this year (6-10/7-9 type season). I need to look more at Lock considering the passion here, but the last time I checked, I wasn't remotely sold on anyone in this draft other than Haskins, and Murray (and Murray scares me, but has the ceiling I'd be willing to roll the dice on) and I remain very skeptical on Lock. Could be totally wrong though, I've been totally wrong plenty of times before. 

49 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Well, considering Rosen was considered a lexus sportscar in his draft year, it's kind of ridiculous to assume you're automatically going to get one in a future draft. 

You can't have it both ways. I can name a dozen HOF QBs that struggled out the gate because the teams they were on offered nothing in terms of support. 

47 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I'm not going to quibble if they wanted Doctson, he's entering year four of his rookie deal and is a big disappointment, I totally blew my eval of him, though I, like almost everyone else called that he would suck with Alex Smith as his QB because there wasn't a worse match in terms of skill set than an Alex Smith, and a Josh Doctson. With Rosen, Doctson might blow up, Rosen would definitely give him plenty of chances, but at the same time, we've almost run out his rookie deal and probably won't resign him, so if I need to toss him in w/a day 2 pick for Rosen, I don't even stop for a second to think before saying yes. 

One thing that's clear as heck, Rosen will give WR chances.  It would be an interesting turn of events because Rosen is the opposite of Alex in that way.  Alex seems tentative to throw into tight windows and going long.  Rosen will take chances for better or worse. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/03/jason-la-canfora-on-antonio-brown-steelers-eagles-metcalf

• The more teams I talk to, the more I hear the same thing – people are convinced Kyler Murray is going first overall. Probably to the Cardinals, or maybe via a trade. But this draft is going to be all about him. A few execs I spoke to believe the Cardinals will have a very difficult time getting more than a third-round pick for Josh Rosen should they lock-in on Murray a year after trading up to take Rosen 10th overall.

Archived