Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

19 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I see where it appears if Skins want Murray and AZ passes, they've got to go to #3 (Jets pick). 

I think it'll cost another RGIII fortune in picks to do that and quickly becoming a Jarrett Stidham fan!

Very ok with this.  Stidham had a rocky senior year but he ticks all the boxes and with all of the former QBs on our coaching staff I think he can become a decent starter or at the very least a quality backup.  Auburn were pretty awful last year, particularly the OL, so I don't think we saw him at his best.

46 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Rosen acted like a spoiled little brat, that is used to getting everything handed to him in life when he went, god forbid, 10th overall to Arizona. He was playing the Tom Brady card that he was mad at the world for such a travesty. But Brady was in the 6th round, so he had more to be upset about. I recall onstage right after the Cards moved up in the draft to get him, and the selection was made, he said something to the tune of he wasn't thrilled about what just happened, he was still soo mad. But he was sure maybe later he be happy about it. Not a very good impression on the Cardinal fans at the time i'm sure. Then the season definitely didn't go his way. That was one of the first impressions I had of him, and it was a poor one. I didn't like his whinny attitude. And not even one year later the Cards are ready to move on from him. Red Flag. Respect is earned not given in my world.

Do you have any factual data to support that position? Here are a few of the quotes I am familiar with. I underlined the parts that people ignore or leave out: Here is the article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/04/26/a-guide-to-josh-rosen-the-best-quote-in-the-nfl-draft/?utm_term=.9b575847f629

“I thought I should’ve been picked at 1, 2 or 3,” Rosen said, via ESPN. “I dropped, and I was pissed. I was really, really angry. I wasn’t really showing it. I was trying to keep calm, cool, composed. But I thought I was going to get picked, and I thought I was going to have to put on a face and try and fake happiness. But for some reason, right when I got that call, that’s not what happened. I got really happy and really motivated.”

Rosen also pledged not to come into the Cardinals facility “and be an a–hole and think that my s— don’t stink,” which is nice of him. On Twitter, he wrote that he was “motivated beyond words.”

I do not see a spoiled brat. I see a guy who believes in himself and is actually hone6tt when interviewed. Pay specific attention to the part underlined - again this part always gets left out when the spoiled brat narrative gets out.

Here is an article which quotes Fitz: https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/11/09/arizona-cardinals-josh-rosen-still-learning-off-field-rookie/1946303002/

“That’s what I love about him the most. He loves ball, he’s completely engaged and into it, but he’s got greater aspirations than just being a great quarterback,” wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. “He’s extremely well-rounded and thoughtful. He can talk about anything, from religion to politics to finance, whatever – he’s well-versed.”

That is from a Hall of Fame WR. Pay particular attention to the underlined.

The fact is that unless there is something I am missing the "Spoiled Brat" narrative does not stand up to actual facts with full context of his statements. Even the McDonalds thing was taken out of context. Fact is the kid is highly intelligent and is not afraid to speak his mind.

If you have something factual to support an opposite opinion I am open to new information.

The notion that trading away a quality draft pick for a guy whom a franchise spent all of one year on before bailing being the only thing that could save the season seems kind of riduclous to me. 

I actually like the idea of riding Fitzmagic for a year, but I fear that he would come nowhere close to the success he had put in the Air Raid Bucs. We don’t have the wr pieces for such success and are built around ball control and making few mistakes; not particularly Fitz’s M.O. We would be mediocre, and that’s worse than sucking. 

The smart play is going BPA wr and OL with the 1st 2 picks. Then in the 3rd go qb ( my pick being weir ) and seeing what you got between McCoyWeir/Journeyman. If you suck, so be it. You atleast put yourself in the position to make a move or sell high in a great qb class. 

50 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

First, there is no way Lock makes it to 15. So to get him they would need to give up more than 15. But even if he dropped, I would be Ok passing on him for an impact player elsewhere. And please do not try to tell me all the reasons I am wrong. It's my opinion and I am not changing it. I do not really like any of the QBs supposedly in the top of the draft. Again, it's just my opinion. 

I do not think $12M is cheap either so if that's what he is going for then pass. I was thinking <$10M/yr. That's unlikely given the market but if they can get him for lower money then I am Ok with it. 

May I ask what you don't like about Lock? I feel if he falls to us at 15 we need to take him, I like the fact he played against SEC Defenses for 4 years and just looks scrappy to me ? Just listen to Cooley and he seems very high on him after watching tape. I think you maybe right about him going well before we pick but you never know.

3 minutes ago, hailmary said:

May I ask what you don't like about Lock? I feel if he falls to us at 15 we need to take him, I like the fact he played against SEC Defenses for 4 years and just looks scrappy to me ? Just listen to Cooley and he seems very high on him after watching tape. I think you maybe right about him going well before we pick but you never know.

He is a decent QB but there is nothing that makes him stand out to me. He is decent and probably the best of the lot but I do not see anything great. Nothing that makes me get really excited about him, enough to use #15. So it's more what I don't see than what I do.

More to it is that I do not want them to use a 1st on a QB - either trading for one or drafting one. I have said that from the start. I prefer they work on other parts of the team first, specifically oline and edge rush early and often.

If anyone was thinking Kyler could drop as a result of Charley’s report, his agent had a thing or two or twenty to say about it.  He destroyed everything about Casserly.

Now, agent Erik Burkhardt has added his voice to the defense of Murray. Burkhardt gave the following quotes on Wednesday afternoon to PFT.

“My initial reaction was to laugh because I knew the ‘old guard’ would inevitably try to come up with the usual pre-draft nonsense,” Burkhardt said. “But when I later watched this man say what he did, it was over-the-top and definitely felt personal, and that’s when I got pissed off.”

How pissed off did Burkhardt get? Pretty pissed off.

“First and foremost, Kyler is an exemplary person,” Burkhardt said. “He is everything you hope your own son grows up to become. We’re talking about a young man who has done everything right and worked relentlessly his entire life to achieve and push for greatness. We’re talking about the first human ever drafted in the top 10 in two major sports leagues, and who just completed the greatest single season in football history. You will not find even one former teammate or coach at any level in any sport who’s played with Kyler Murray who has anything remotely negative to say about him, his leadership, or his work ethic.”

Burkhardt then shifted from defending Murray to attacking Casserly.

“So what do I think about an agenda-driven ‘analyst’ who’s never once even talked to Kyler or any of his coaches or teammates?” Burkhardt said. “I think it’s disgusting and embarrassing and Casserly should be ashamed of himself.

“Further, my business partners and I personally represent coaches and executives who sat in on eight of Kyler’s 10 formal combine interviews. I spoke directly to each of them, as well as executives from the other two teams and many others who I don’t represent but were present, and all of them were extremely positive about his entire interviews, with each citing specific examples as to why.”

Burkhardt brought it home with a dash of snark directed at Casserly.

“The bottom line here is that it calls into question the motives of a man to get on national television and cite anonymous sources on things such as ‘leadership’ and ‘study habits’ about somebody he’s never met,” Burkhardt said. “Look, If you don’t like Kyler’s game, it’s cool. If you don’t like his size and want to talk about that, that’s fine, too. If you’re into a Heath Shuler-type looking guy, then hype those guys and say why. But when you slander the character and work ethic of a young man who’s worked his ass off his entire life and done everything right to put himself in his current position, you’d better cite your sources and come with a better record than 18-46 as a G.M. of the Texans, and whose own leadership and accountability has been questioned by his old bosses and colleagues, as well as the greatest coach on the planet.”

That last reference was to Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who said in 2010, “Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/kyler-murrays-agent-unloads-on-charley-casserly/

59 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Not to mention, apparently his teammates love the guy.

I think that is more important than a lot of people are giving it credit for.  I don't follow this stuff much, but I remember some questions about his attitude before the draft last year.  I have not heard of attitude problems with the Cards.  I would look into it pretty closely if I was going to trade for him, but I wouldn't just assume he has a problem personality based on the quotes I have seen from him.  

I do think personality issues can be a serious issue.  Jeff George and Ryan Leaf come to mind as highly talented QBs that had personality issues that had a large impact on their careers.  But, I would want more insight from past teammates or coaches before putting too much stock in pre-draft chatter from last year.  The Cards trading him after one year is a red flag, but that may have more to do with their coaches infatuation with Murray than it has to do with Rosen himself.

6 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

@goskins10 I just remember watching it happen live and thinking what an ungrateful, whinny little ****. The write up dosent show the whole picture without his facial expression, body language ect. That was my opinion.

All that means is you saw what you wanted to see. You are free to your opinion, but nothing I have seen supports that narrative. Everyone that has actually worked/played with him have nothing but great things to say about him. I will go with their impression.

35 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

All that means is you saw what you wanted to see. You are free to your opinion, but nothing I have seen supports that narrative. Everyone that has actually worked/played with him have nothing but great things to say about him. I will go with their impression.

We had Alex at the time. Rosen was not on my radar at all, meaning there was nothing for me to "want" to see at the time. So I was most certainly not looking for a bad attitude. Again, this is just what I recall from the live draft, haven't seen it since. Maybe I will go back and watch it again, and see if I get the same vibe. 

* I went back and watched it, and will admit that I was wrong. I'm not sure why I thought that I remembered seeing him with a bad attitude on stage. The crow tastes great.

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If anyone was thinking Kyler could drop as a result of Charley’s report, his agent had a thing or two or twenty to say about it.  He destroyed everything about Casserly.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/kyler-murrays-agent-unloads-on-charley-casserly/

An excellent example of not believing everything you hear when it’s first reported! 

3 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

An excellent example of not believing everything you hear when it’s first reported! 

It sounded wild to begin with and it felt even more wild because it was Casserly saying it.  So yeah, that wasn’t hard to do in this case.

Plus, it’s Murray’s agents job to protect his client.  He just went all the way in on this one.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It sounded wild to begin with and it felt even more wild because it was Casserly saying it.  So yeah, that wasn’t hard to do in this case.

Plus, it’s Murray’s agents job to protect his client.  He just went all the way in on this one.

Yeah I was just messing around. I certainly didn’t believe it for a second though, not sure what Casserly stood to gain from it.

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Probably fed bad information for a purpose.

On the Murray drill, I wouldn't be shocked if he was a bad interview but my thought on it is so what?  I've beaten up Daniel Jones some on the draft thread because he comes off introverted, shy, soft spoken and not a leader.  And I prefer a more dynamic personality in my QBs everything being equal.  But like I said on that thread if I liked how Jones played, I could overlook all of the personality stuff.  But the combination of the two is too much for me.   Murray comes off as a different cat from Jones but similar in that he comes off introverted.  Even his teammates have said good guy but he's a very different cat than Baker personality wise.  And most have said he's not the type to take over a room. 

Drew Lock for example has the rep of being an engaging charismatic type of personality and watching his interviews you could see some of that.  Judging by some of the comments on this thread, I like Lock better than most here.  But I'd still easily take Murray over Lock.  Even though I'd bet Lock blew Murray away in the interviews. 

In all the buzz about Casserly's comments, you got in the same mix that the Raiders supposedly love him.  And the national guys are echoing what the local beat guys have been saying for weeks which is the Redskins love him.    I think Murray is going #1 or at the latest #3.  My guess right now to the Cards or the Raiders.  

Murray is just a magnet right now for attention.  So if someone says anything about the dude, they will get lots of attention.  The other day it was Casserly.   I am sure the soap opera will ensue with Murray every week with a new narrative.  Murray is where most of the action is right now -- hype wise.   

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I see where it appears if Skins want Murray and AZ passes, they've got to go to #3 (Jets pick). 

I think it'll cost another RGIII fortune in picks to do that and quickly becoming a Jarrett Stidham fan!

I have to disagree with what Kent Somers is saying as there have been reports that the owner Bidwell of the Cards flew down to see and interview Murray in person.  If you hire a HC that LOVES the QB he coached at Texas Tech and your new HC believes that QB will be a HUGE difference maker then I think Murray is drafted #1 and Rosen is traded.  JMO.  :)  Love ya, HigSkin.

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

These are his pre draft grades for each QB.

Loved Baker Mayfield and believe he'll be another Drew Brees/Russell Wilson in time.  Love Murray too but feel our best interest right now in THIS draft is to send our #15 to the Cards for Rosen if that would get him to DC on March 13th doing the deal NOW! :)

2 hours ago, hailmary said:

Denver loves him. He isnt falling to us.

Was listening to a little of Cooley’s podcast and apparently Rosen can’t throw a screen pass to save his life? According to him Rosen pretty much sucks or avoids most underneath throws, anybody agree or disagree with that? 

That plus the fumbles and his accuracy going to **** once he’s pressured off his base or whatever give me serious pause. 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

These are his pre draft grades for each QB.

Gotta give Daniel Jeremiah credit for a unique hot take. Baker Mayfield played worse than Darnold and Rosen.... Dan's the first one I've heard to suggest that.

22 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Was listening to a little of Cooley’s podcast and apparently Rosen can’t throw a screen pass to save his life? According to him Rosen pretty much sucks or avoids most underneath throws, anybody agree or disagree with that? 

That plus the fumbles and his accuracy going to **** once he’s pressured off his base or whatever give me serious pause. 

Cooley isn't gospel

Archived