Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Gotta give Daniel Jeremiah credit for a unique hot take. Baker Mayfield played worse than Darnold and Rosen.... Dan's the first one I've heard to suggest that.

My guess is those are based on grades he gave prior to the draft, not factoring in any NFL play from last year.  Almost everyone had the top QBs that came out last year graded higher than this years class of QBs.

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

All that means is you saw what you wanted to see. You are free to your opinion, but nothing I have seen supports that narrative. Everyone that has actually worked/played with him have nothing but great things to say about him. I will go with their impression.

Rosen is a good dude, the negativity is spread from Trent Dilfer.

6 minutes ago, CPAllTheWay012 said:

Would you feel more comfortable with Josh Rosen or Colt McCoy as the starter? 

Gotta be McCoy, right? I'm all for a Rosen experiment on the bench (for the right price) but Colt gives us the best chance to win with his familiarity of the system.  

System familiarity is a meme essentially. It means nothing if the QB sucks. And while Colt could perform for the very short term I guess he is not a viable starting QB because one, his arm is a wet noodle, two, he’s a turnover machine, and 3, he can’t go 4 games without getting injured. I’m okay starting him if we’re set on tanking for 2020.

In fact Rosen is an excellent fit for Jay’s WCO, which is why we should go hard after him if we just refuse to rebuild.

7 minutes ago, CPAllTheWay012 said:

Gotta be McCoy, right? I'm all for a Rosen experiment on the bench (for the right price) but Colt gives us the best chance to win with his familiarity of the system.  

Rosen is much better at football than Colt has ever been, so I’d take Rosen. 

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

System familiarity is a meme essentially. It means nothing if the QB sucks. And while Colt could perform for the very short term I guess he is not a viable starting QB because one, his arm is a wet noodle, two, he’s a turnover machine, and 3, he can’t go 4 games without getting injured. I’m okay starting him if we’re set on tanking for 2020.

In fact Rosen is an excellent fit for Jay’s WCO, which is why we should go hard after him if we just refuse to rebuild.

img13.gif

Standig, he's wrong about the 10 picks, they got 9 as far as I know. But I agree with his main point which is they are unlikely to go for a first round QB.  If they have to win right away, then the one guy IMO that does that is Murray.  I like Lock a lot but he might take a season or so to find his stride and has some bust potential. 

So a veteran and then a flier in the later rounds.  My guess is Tannehill or Bridgewater.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/free-agency-or-draft-assessing-how-and-when-redskins-needs

When asked at the NFL Combine about reports of interest in the Super Bowl-winning QB or any veteran with starting experience generally, Redskins president Bruce Allen said, “We were never involved in Flacco.” Fair enough.

Multiple league sources say otherwise. That Denver traded a 2019 fourth rounder – the one round Washington has no selection -- to Baltimore when the assumption had the Ravens likely waiving Flacco suggests either another team pushed up the price or Broncos GM John Elway bid against himself. Only a tiny number of teams need a starter for 2019 and none have been as consistently mentioned in connection with Flacco as the Redskins.

Regardless, this flashback is to set up the concept of what Flacco represents: A proven veteran the team believes could start Week 1 as opposed to a Josh Johnson backup type. For all the intrigue over Murray and the other rookies, the experience path is where league insiders envision a Redskins move after missing the postseason for a third consecutive season.

“Jay is going to want a vet. He needs to win,” a former NFL general manager told NBC Sports Washington.

Holdover Colt McCoy isn’t the standalone answer. Assuming Nick Foles is out of their price range, there isn’t a clear Day 1 starter among the free agent choices (or potential trade targets like Jacoby Brissett). There are several viable starting options, however. Tyrod Taylor and Teddy Bridgewater are the ones mentioned most.

Now, let’s get to the 2019 kids. If the Redskins want Murray, Dwayne Haskins or Drew Lock, they’ll likely need to trade into the top 10 or at least past the Dolphins at 13.. The Cardinals (1), Giants (6) Jaguars (7), Broncos (10) and Dolphins are in play for that trio to various degrees. 

The Redskins have 10 picks in this draft. They will trade some to move up at some point. My intuition says they won’t for these quarterbacks.

That doesn’t mean Washington won’t trade picks for a different quarterback. Move into the end of the first round for Duke’s Daniel Jones, whose stock dropped after the Senior Bowl and the Combine, and Washington will have a fifth-year option for a potential long-term passer. West Virginia’s Will Grier likely goes in the second. The Redskins showed interest at the Combine in potential Day 2 options Jarrett Stidham and Ryan Finley.

6 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Agree my only hesitation with this point is going after him hard -- am out if its for a first rounder.  But I'd easily go Rosen over any retread veteran FA.  At least it will feel like a rebuild move even though I doubt that's their real intention. 

Just listened to Keim who has a new podcast.  Some of his points

A.  He didn't say they want Bridgewater but I notice he keeps bringing up his name.  In a different podcast with someone else he mentioned that he knew that they liked Bridgewater last year.

B. He said weeks back he didn't think trading up for QB was on the table, now he thinks it is

C.  He talked to multiple people about what is good value for Rosen.  He doesn't think a first rounder is good value for him and in their shoes he wouldn't give up a first rounder.  But the compensation that people say is all over the place from a first rounder to a third rounder.  He thinks a 2nd round pick would get it done.  The Redskins did like Rosen among the QBs in last years draft.  

He talked to a scout who told him Rosen has good talent but he's not the type of QB who will carry a team, you need to put good players around him.

Pretty interesting listening to Boomer and Gio this morning who said the WFAN is claiming the Giants won't take a QB in the first.  Gettleman doesn't like any of the QB's and Shurmur will want one of the stud defensive guys.  They also say they don't understand why there isn't more interest in Rosen but doesn't think Gettleman goes that route either.  Weird stuff.  

If that happens it'll be interesting to see -

a) how far Haskins would fall

b) what that does to Lock's draft position. 

I don't think Haskins falls to #15 but Daniel J. might be right in his recent mock where Skins pick Lock. 

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Pretty interesting listening to Boomer and Gio this morning who said the WFAN is claiming the Giants won't take a QB in the first.  Gettleman doesn't like any of the QB's and Shurmur will want one of the stud defensive guys.  They also say they don't understand why there isn't more interest in Rosen but doesn't think Gettleman goes that route either.  Weird stuff.  

If that happens it'll be an interesting to see -

a) how far Haskins would fall

b) what that does to Lock's draft position. 

I don't think Haskins falls to #15 but Daniel J. might be right in his recent mock where Skins pick him. 

I've posted some about the Giants and have been listening to their beat guys some of whom appeared of late on 106.7.  Comes off 50-50 -- Haskins or Pass Rusher.

As for Rosen, I think I have one of the oddest position on him on this thread.  Don't love him.  Don't hate him.  But all in if they can get him for less than a first rounder. I do see a high bust potential with Rosen.  To me right now he's a walking turnover waiting to happen and epically so in Rex like proportions for reasons that go well beyond the Arizona O line.  So I can see the Giants or any team say pass, he's not our guy.   I still like Rosen though for a 2nd or 3rd round type of compensation because that's the flier range in the draft for QB, he's got beautiful throwing motion and footwork -- so as a flier I am all cool with Rosen's potential because he clearly has plenty of it.

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

SIP - things are going to get really interesting if the Cards don't take Murray and Giants don't take Haskins!  LOL

I wonder though if the Redskins are patient to wait that out meaning if they sign Tannehill are they then out on QB early in the draft?  Clear as a bell they love Murray.  Have heard that from multiple beat guys, Jay said himself he will be an excellent QB.   If Arizona decides not to take Murray -- it feels like they will try to at least offer a package to trade up.  SF according to some is willing to trade down.  The Jets are even open about wanting to trade down.

As for Haskins, he's the one major QB I don't hear linked to this team.  So don't know if they want him.  Heard Murray a ton.  Jones some.  Lock some. 

But yeah the reason why I'd be more than cool if the Giants traded for Rosen is if the Giants are out and Jax are out because they signed Foles.  It really opens things up if they loved Lock or Haskins or whomever.   I like Rosen's potential but I am not afraid of him in our division if he goes elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've posted some about the Giants and have been listening to their beat guys some of whom appeared of late on 106.7.  Comes off 50-50 -- Haskins or Pass Rusher.

As for Rosen, I think I have one of the oddest position on him on this thread.  Don't love him.  Don't hate him.  But all in if they can get him for less than a first rounder. I do see a high bust potential with Rosen.  To me right now he's a walking turnover waiting to happen and epically so in Rex like proportions for reasons that go well beyond the Arizona O line.  So I can see the Giants or any team say pass, he's not our guy.   I still like Rosen though for a 2nd or 3rd round type of compensation because that's the flier range in the draft for QB, he's got beautiful throwing motion and footwork -- so as a flier I am all cool with Rosen's potential because he clearly has plenty of it.

Then I guess i have an odd position on him as well because i feel the same way. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Rosen, I think I have one of the oddest position on him on this thread.  Don't love him.  Don't hate him.  But all in if they can get him for less than a firs rounder. I do see a high bust potential with Rosen to me right now he's a walking turnover waiting to happen and epically so in Rex like proportions for reasons that go well beyond the Arizona O line.  So I can see the Giants or any team say pass, he's not our guy.   I still like Rosen though for a 2nd or 3rd round type of compensation because that's the flier range in the draft for QB, beautiful throwing motion and footwork -- so as a flier I am all cool with Rosen's potential because he clearly has plenty of it.

If you have one of the oddest positions then I do too. I virtually in the same place. If they can get him without parting with a 1st rd pick. I am all in. The down side is he is horrible. Jay can't help him with the TOs and he just makes bad decisions and flames out. It's not a huge investment, especially considering how CAP strapped the team (TY Bruce!). 

The middle ground is he is a solid, albeit not spectacular starter that helps us get to next year and bumper crop of young QBs. The biggest upside is he becomes a solid to very good starter and solves the long term issue. All for a draft pick. 

Again, i am not interested in parting with a 1st rd pick. But anything else I see very little down side considering the teams overall situation and a very high potential upside. 

Just to attempt to squelch a few of the misquotes to promote certain narratives - No one thinks this guy sends us to a SB, at least not in the next few years. The team has too many holes. A QB, no matter how good cannot cover them all. And despite some of the exaggeration of us being "stuck" with him, his contract is extremely team friendly since he is still on his rookie contract and most of his salary was signing bonus. His yearly salaries are $1.23M, $2.1M, and $2,9M over the next 3 yrs, with a 4th yr option. 

I just do not see how this is a bad risk here. Even if he can't beat out Colt right away, he will play because Colt will be injured by game 3 or 4. Low cost high upside option. 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I literally just posted the same thing. I do not see it as an odd position at all. In fact I think most everyone who is Ok with Rosen is in about the same position. 

@Skinsinparadise just looking for attention...  Totally kidding SIP!  :cheers:

It makes the most sense for THIS team given the circumstances that we're currently in.  Low $$.... marginal investment given possible upside.  4 years of control (if we exercise 5th year option).  Allows us to keep no. 15.. just one of those deals like you said.. it can be GREAT, and the potential reward is worth the cost of a draft pick that's not a 1st rounder.  

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I literally just posted the same thing. I do not see it as an odd position at all. In fact I think most everyone who is Ok with Rosen is in about the same position. 

9 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Gotta give Daniel Jeremiah credit for a unique hot take. Baker Mayfield played worse than Darnold and Rosen.... Dan's the first one I've heard to suggest that.

Those are grades pre draft. So before the 2018 draft and before this draft. They don’t take into account performance during last season.

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Lol i'm reading it like...well I guess I am odd too because that is EXACTLY how I feel.

7 hours ago, CPAllTheWay012 said:

Much rather roll with Rosen. He can make a ton of throws that Colt can not. Colt will turn it over plenty as well. Feel like there is zero upside with Colt and just as much downside, as far as on the field play goes. 

Finlay talking right now, doubling down about how they like Murray.  He said the Redskins were cool with Murray's interview so in the mix of whichever team perhaps didn't like Murray's interview -- the Redskins aren't that team.  They liked the interview.  He implied don't worry about the RG3 type of compensation that was one of a kind --suggesting if they do trade up it wouldn't be a similar haul.

On a non QB note, he just said he thinks they liked the Honey Badger but that was until the Giants let Collins go. He thinks they will try to get Landon Collins -- that's news. 

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Like I said... sit back and let the chips fall unless good value shows itself.

Remember all... last year EVERY SINGLE mock had the top 4 QB's going in the top 7, some even in the top 5.

But then the draft came and they went 1, 3, 7, 10.... and that was the supposed Gold Standard of QB classes.

It sounds easy to take the QB, but do you really pull the trigger when Devin White, Taylor, Allen, Sweat, and Oliver are staring you in the face?

3 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Like I said... sit back and let the chips fall unless good value shows itself.

Remember all... last year EVERY SINGLE mock had the top 4 QB's going in the top 7, some even in the top 5.

But then the draft came and they went 1, 3, 7, 10.... and that was the supposed Gold Standard of QB classes.

It sounds easy to take the QB, but do you really pull the trigger when Devin White, Taylor, Allen, Sweat, and Oliver are staring you in the face?

Me, personally, only if it's Murray do I take the QB with those guys sitting there. Murray is my #1 overall player, Ed Oliver 2nd, then Devin white, all in that order. I get all hot and bothered with the thought of Devin White/Ferrari Foster combo behind Allen - Payne - Ion

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Me, personally, only if it's Murray do I take the QB with those guys sitting there. Murray is my #1 overall player, Ed Oliver 2nd, then Devin white, all in that order. I get all hot and bothered with the thought of Devin White/Ferrari Foster combo behind Allen - Payne - Ion

THIS!

Going into this draft, i'm less worried about some rigid plan, and more interested in having flexibility.  When you have options, your hand is not forced, and you're not pushed to make a move that could cause you to overpay, or settle.  We NEED to start controlling our own destiny, instead of relying on a player to fall.  If there's a guy we like out there, go get him and keep your options open. 

1/2 Multiple teams inquired about Josh Rosen’s availability at the combine last week, though Arizona did not give those teams any indication that it is willing to move on from Josh Rosen at this time, according to two league sources who spoke to the Cardinals.

2/2 This doesn’t mean that Arizona won’t wind up shopping Josh Rosen eventually; but it hasn’t to date, as the Cardinals have not responded to the overtures that they’ve received from other teams while they’re going through the draft evaluation process.

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

OK, great minds.  😀

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Ditto.  great minds. 😀

Yeah sometimes i mix up sentiment on a hot issue here with twitter because I am often reading both but reading twitter -- you got two main thoughts competing

A.  Rosen would be a godsend.   Franchise QB that could be had on a cheap.  Better than any dude in this draft sans Murray and some say even better than him.

B.  Rosen is a diva -- who was exposed in Arizona as a bust.

I am definitely closer to camp A than camp B.   His talent is obvious but IMO so is bust potential in spite of his pedigree.  But if its a 2nd or 3rd rounder, I'd go for that ride easily over Tannehill or whatever Jag they might have in mind in FA.  At least Rosen is young and brings some upside. 

For those interested Chris Simms weighted in on the college QBs

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

1/2 Multiple teams inquired about Josh Rosen’s availability at the combine last week, though Arizona did not give those teams any indication that it is willing to move on from Josh Rosen at this time, according to two league sources who spoke to the Cardinals.

2/2 This doesn’t mean that Arizona won’t wind up shopping Josh Rosen eventually; but it hasn’t to date, as the Cardinals have not responded to the overtures that they’ve received from other teams while they’re going through the draft evaluation process.

So many different stories.  On NFLN both Casserly and another person said they both heard that Rosen was being shopped now.  Schefter says they're not.  Who's laying the FAKE NEWS out there?  Somebody is.  Cardinals probably are.

Like I'v said before I'm usually not a fan of QB's that play the game like Kyler Murray but he was something special to watch on Saturdays this past fall. I'm neither a Oklahoma fan or a big college guy but i was literally checking the TV schedule every Saturday afternoon to see if they were playing because he was that fun to watch.

As i get older I'm not quite as fanatical about the Redskins "wining" as I use to be. I;v become such a jaded fan my only hope year end and year out is to simply be competitive and be entertained. I think KM could do both . I'm all in on Murray despite Charley Casserly's criticism of him.

Archived