Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Explosive Devices Found in Mail Sent to Hillary Clinton and Obama

Bozo the kKklown

41 minutes ago, Destino said:

If you’re looking for comparables for violence targeting elected officials, I would have gone with James Hodgkinson.  

Everyone wants to pretend the other side is the dangerous one, but it’s clear to me that the rhetoric is boiling over on either side.  Both sides are celebrating violence at the moment and protests these days are routinely violent.  That wasn’t the case just a few years ago, but it’s now clearly the new normal.

Things are not equal however, one side is more culpable than the other.  One major difference in who exactly is leading the crazy parades from the left and right.  Elected Democrats aren’t, and though I’m sure there are some exceptions many have directly spoken out against political violence of any kind.  The right has the actual President of the country pushing this stuff and encouraging it.  They’ve mainstreamed extremism and that’s a problem.  

I read somewhere that roughly 9% of the US population identify as far left. 20% identify as far right. So I think there are greater numbers on the crazy right

that leaves the 70 percent that identify as moderate. My theory is that at no time in human history has the 70% in this country been so hysterical. 

I would submit that that we are not in special times. We have a 24/7 news cycle that is incentified on outrage. We have a social media industry that has tapped into the Id of society. Paranoia, fear, hysteria. It’s good business

it just blows my mind that nobody sees it. Look at all the tweets and memes in this forum. We have members here who have literally been outraged for 3 years now. Still clicking on those links to get their outrage fixes. 

These bombs are awful.  Those responsible should be punished to the fullest extent of the law

They are also nothing unique whatsoever in our nations history. The only unique thing is the amount of money that the communications industry is making tapping directly into the national hysteria. The money is rolling in. Stay outraged folks

7 minutes ago, zoony said:

I would submit that that we are not in special times. We have a 24/7 news cycle that is incentified on outrage. We have a social media industry that has tapped into the Id of society. Paranoia, fear, hysteria. It’s good business

it just blows my mind that nobody sees it. Look at all the tweets and memes in this forum. We have members here who have literally been outraged for 3 years now. Still clicking on those links to get their outrage fixes. 

These bombs are awful.  Those responsible should be punished to the fullest extent of the law

They are also nothing unique whatsoever in our nations history. The only unique thing is the amount of money that the communications industry is making tapping directly into the national hysteria. The money is rolling in. Stay outraged folks

This is so damn right.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

that leaves the 70 percent that identify as moderate. 

There is a bit more nuance than that, innit

1 hour ago, zoony said:

We have a 24/7 news cycle that is incentified on outrage. We have a social media industry that has tapped into the Id of society. Paranoia, fear, hysteria. It’s good business

Totally agree with that.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

My theory is that at no time in human history has the 70% in this country been so hysterical. 

I would submit that that we are not in special times.

I would say these are contradictory statements. I get that things like letter bombs and awful political rhetoric are nothing new, but the media amplification of everything combined with a leader who exploits it to incite the basest nature of the citizenry makes for something quite different than we have seen before.

7 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I would say these are contradictory statements. I get that things like letter bombs and awful political rhetoric are nothing new, but the media amplification of everything combined with a leader who exploits it to incite the basest nature of the citizenry makes for something quite different than we have seen before.

Agreed, Trump isnt just hitting a nerve, he's applying direct current to it.

6 hours ago, zoony said:

Our political climate has the feel of two sects, of the same larger religion, battling for dominance.  Most of the common people see that the two groups are largely similar, but the zealots are working hard to change that.  They are out there questioning purity and demanding strict adherence to the doctrine.  They even have their own (online) mobs out hunting heretics.  Democrats and Republicans are not accusing each other of being wrong, so much as being evil and out to destroy us.  

This is all happening while a foreign power is spending millions to push radical narratives and more extreme politics, on either side, in an open effort to weaken the US.  The crazy thing is that we all know this to be true, and it doesn't even slow us down one bit.  

Just consider this, how would you have seen doxxing 10 years ago?  I ask because it's completely normal today.  Random citizens being singled out for death threats no longer even raises eyebrows.  Happens all the time.  

So, I have to disagree and say that we are indeed living through interesting times.  I do agree with you on it's artificial nature.  Outrage has become a very profitable product and we carry the dealers of this mental poison in our pockets everywhere we go.  

Archived