Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

26 minutes ago, kleese said:

This coming week, I think is on the fans. I get all the reasons people stay away. But this is our rival and the game right now matters equally to both teams. And we are playing an opponent who’s fans really haven’t had much more to get excited about than we have. If it’s an invasion that to me reflects poorly on our fans and not the outside stuff (which I do think is legitimate). 

Yeah Ed, I guess I see the similarities to last year. Early season game, both teams were 3-3. We had just come off of a tough road loss to Philly....although for the Dallas game, I can imagine more tickets are purchased well in advance than other games.  I recall that you came to the Cowboys game last season. From attending a lot of Skins-Cowboys games at FedEx, I think last year's was the worst I've seen as far as the percentage of Dallas fans there. I'm anticipating a similar scene on Sunday. 

20 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Yeah Ed, I guess I see the similarities to last year. Early season game, both teams were 3-3. We had just come off of a tough road loss to Philly....although for the Dallas game, I can imagine more tickets are purchased well in advance than other games.  I recall that you came to the Cowboys game last season. From attending a lot of Skins-Cowboys games at FedEx, I think last year's was the worst I've seen as far as the percentage of Dallas fans there. I'm anticipating a similar scene on Sunday. 

Yes I was there. The split was probably 60/40 Skins but in terms of volume the Cowboys fans had a big edge there. It was just a miserable day. Weather was horrendous— worst I’ve ever encountered at a game. We had all those injuries on O and then we added Reed during the game. There was a lull from the start of that game. I don’t disagree with you that the crowd split will probably be about the same next week— but I do think there will be more juice and excitement for this one. 

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’m so jaded about the team that I barely enjoy watching them. 

But my friend got tickets right behind the bench for this game and i have to say, that location plus the magnitude of the game may actually warm my cold heart 

That close, they can hear you if they **** the bed.  I like sitting closer, but its like $175 just to get in there.  Corner views aren't as bad as I thought it would be, but preference is the 50 so I can see everything equally.  I don't know if they can hear me when I'm in the 400s, but when I get closer, I know they can, that's more valuable to me then fuming in front of a television.

22 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wow, i'm here at Fed Ex covering the game for ES today.  As I was walking up the ramp to the press box, a guy that I know who opens a gate I need to get past asked me if anyone said anything about the Orioles hat I'm wearing.  I was like, no, why?  He said that people that aren't wearing Skins gear are being instructed to take off their stuff today.  Said that he just saw a girl that had to take off her Carolina hat before getting into the seating bowl.

Crazy if that's true.  2nd hand information but I'll see if I can confirm it. 

I was in line at the Redskins Rewards to pick up some photos and a field pass.  I heard the Redskins Rewards woman say something to a family in front of me about the son needing to remove his panthers cap.  I thought she was joking, but she did say something about photos being taken, so I thought maybe they were going to be on the field for a presentation, holding the flag, or something.  BTW, I was there with my cousin and his wife and they both had on Auburn gear.  To my knowledge, nobody said anything to them and the wife used the field pass (she even talked with Adrian Peterson's wife who was there with three kids).  I am wondering if someone issued this order as a joke and not everybody was informed that it was a joke......very strange.

23 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

I was in line at the Redskins Rewards to pick up some photos and a field pass.  I heard the Redskins Rewards woman say something to a family in front of me about the son needing to remove his panthers cap.  I thought she was joking, but she did say something about photos being taken, so I thought maybe they were going to be on the field for a presentation, holding the flag, or something.  BTW, I was there with my cousin and his wife and they both had on Auburn gear.  To my knowledge, nobody said anything to them and the wife used the field pass (she even talked with Adrian Peterson's wife who was there with three kids).  I am wondering if someone issued this order as a joke and not everybody was informed that it was a joke......very strange.

Yeah, see my post from later on yesterday after I talked to the guy and his supervisor again.  They do have photographers down there,  I had a hard time believing that they'd be policing any Panthers fan because there were just too many there yesterday.  But the Redskins Rewards section makes sense.

My brother in law and I gave up our season tix this year.  Frankly, over the last 15 years the experience has gotten worse and I decided to choose family time w/ my kids over a day at Fed Ex.  It was such a sigh of relief to have been unburdened by tickets.  My mother and sister (no kids) decided to keep theirs.   Yesterday my sister was sick and couldn't go to the game so my mother asked me to go. 

I went somewhat reluctantly yesterday to my first game of the season.  It was awful.  I'd put the crowd at 60/40 Skins v Panthers.  My mother floated potentially taking my 11 year old daughter at one point because I wasn't stoked about going.  Thank God I didn't allow that to happen.  I'm no prude, but that stadium is no place for a kid.  Beers getting spilled on other people by almost blacked out drunks (fans of both teams).....constant cussing, smoking in the stands....etc, etc.  Could I have texted blah blah to blah blah blah?  Sure - but I would have been on my phone constantly and missed most of the game.  It's a culture problem....and it wasn't like we were in 446 up against the top upper deck.  This was lower bowl corner end zone.  I don't remember our seats last year in the 200s having as many "problem children".  

I remembered reading there was new food this year.  Since we didn't tailgate, I thought maybe I'd go find a bright spot with some of the new cuisine.  I ordered a footlong hotdog w/ some BBQ on it.  That sounds interesting.  Two minutes into the 3rd quarter I was told - "Ain't got that".  They only serve like four main things at this concession area.  How can you be out of 1/4 of your menu?  Ok, let's try the BBQ sandwich please.  For $12 - you get no sides and the sandwich was bad.  The soggy bun was the best part.  Maybe I hit a dud and there are improvements at all the other places to eat?  Don't know - to me it was SOS (Same old Skins) of crazy long lines and disappointing food.  

I know the Skins are trying to fix stuff, but they aren't anywhere near where they need be.  All the covered up seats in the upper decks looks awful.  I'd estimate almost 1/3 of the seats were empty.  The optics are just sad.

I was waiting for us to implode at the end (SOS), but they were able to hold Carolina off.  Glad to see a win.  I'm a big Skins fan.  I'm not a Fed Ex fan.  The whole game day experience is putrid.  Just Yuck.

7 minutes ago, Grumpy Vet said:

I'm a big Skins fan.  I'm not a Fed Ex fan.

Yeah. Compare Fedex to the experience at Wembley. 

My God, night and day.

The staff at Wembley were on point. And it was the staff that made the experience wonderful. They were all professional, knew what was going on, how to direct folks the right way, they were helpful and dressed properly/professionally. 

Snyder should have taken notes. 

Public transit was on point. The stadium was clean. Foods options and ordering were seamless.

That gameday experience should be the bare minimum, the standard template from which to build upon. Like I said years ago (before the 2016 London game) the next washington game I go to is either in London or the new stadium ... and it ended up being London. 

Last fedex game I went to was a cold, rainy December loss to the Cowboys, 2003. 

Lots of empty seats at kickoff. They need to paint the second ring seat's a different color bc yellow is to noticeable.

Going to games suck though. I go to 1-2 a year. I dont blame anyone for not going and I dont feel bad for not going.

Ravens games are so much better. Stadium right there, walk to bars/restaurants and the gameday warehouses. 

Fed Ex? stand in the rain and wait to walk in.

3 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

Before kids, my friend (Cowboys fan) and I would go down to Dallas every year and stay with another friend of mine.  The guy we were staying with was friends with some lower-level PR person with the Cowboys, but she could get field passes.  We were all invited to go, but they said I'd have to take off my Redskins gear because of optics.  I totally understood.

The elbow room once my friends left was nice.

3 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

>> Looks like some things never change........*cough* Stephen Davis *cough* 

I wouldn't go that far.  I mean, sure Norv moved him to FB his 3rd year, but Terry Allen was still our featured back that year.  As soon as Davis was the featured back full-time (the last two years of Norv's tenure - 1999 & 2000), he was a pro-bowler both years and rushed for over 1400 yards and 17 TDs in 1999 and for over 1300 yards and 11 TDs in 2000.

4 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Watching from home its been pretty sicking seeing the amount of opposing fans at our home games, With that said the stadium sounded loud as hell on TV during that final Carolina drive which is good, at least the Redskins fans that are there still have a pulse.

The stadium appeared to be only a little more than half full. So many blue jerseys and the chants for Cam were deafening at times.

There is NO home field advantage for the Skins.

With Dallas coming this week, I am expecting a HUGE turnout for the Boys. Us Skins fans need to show up and take back our turf!

This is a sad thread.  Sad, because it's come to this. 

We are in the minority, (I guess), because Mrs Skinfan and I like the gameday experience just fine. Seriously.  We sit in the 200's, undercover, and are surrounded by Skins fans.  There were a few Carolina fans, but not too many in 237.

Admittedly,  I don't buy food in the stadium,  because I'm pretty full from the tailgate, so I have no opinion on that.   My wife bought some.pizza, and she said it was terrible. She bought chicken tenders before, and she liked them. We generally don't buy anything, except for maybe a beer, now that they have Devil's Backbone. 

We used to go to games at RFK, back in the day, and that stadium was a ****-hole. Disgusting bathrooms, crappy food, no Jumbotron, (we actually used small transistor radios with earpieces to hear injury reports and play by play). What made it magical, were the teams, and that was only for a few years.  The traffic sucked balls too.  

Don't get me wrong, I would love a new stadium, with all amenities but for now, we're stuck with FedEx,  so we make the best of it.  When it comes down to it, all I need is a good view of the action on the field, and a bathroom and FedEx delivers, (see what I did there?)?

I really want to start a new thread, but certain it would be moved here, and rightfully so.  However, the stadium experience is lackluster.  Now my point of view will be not from a season ticket holder, but someone who averages 1 trip a year from Philadelphia.  However, I will also compare to Philly for things, other sports, and averages across the overall NFL to show that a lot of this talk about "improvement" is a bunch of crap at times.  

Overall - Statista.com has the Redskins as the 4th most expensive Fan Cost Index at $623.50 for a family in 2018, and in 2017 CNBC had them at #2 and CBS News at #1.  A couple reputable outlets having a perennial .500 or under team recently with a few exceptions that high?  Something has to be done with pricing.  There should be no way a team who wants to provide better service thinks they can keep these numbers up.  This tells me its all talk, and no action.  This is the main reason.  HELLO!!!!  You appear to be talking the talk, start walking the walk.

Parking - I do not have season tickets.  I would like to, but it's not in 2018's budget.  Therefore, my options are hoping a extremeskins buddy has a pass to sell, buy a pass on a site (and pay additional fees) or do cash parking.  In researching cash parking, its a bit all over the place.  Prices differentiate, rules differ, and most certaintly, time to get out of the lot differs.  And the fact that cash parking isn't owned by the redskins, doesn't give me any confidence that they care about their patrons outside of season ticket holders.  Not a season ticket holder?  **** you! I parked in a lot where i thought it was near the Jericho lot where i parked last year, but I don't think it was.  It was $40, which is cheaper than a pass.  However, it took me over 45 minutes to begin to move out of the lot, as the entire lot could only exit one way.  And that was after watching players exit the tunnel, taking a pee, and trying to find the father in law.  

Stadium Visually - The Fedex colors and the hanging advertisements are freakin' brutal, frankly.   Walking into other stadiums, you have team colors, team photos, different things that stand out team related. The purple, green, blue, orange, black all over the place is basically saying "I don't care about the game day experience, just give me my money ****!". Give me Redskins colors, a dark burgundy would look intimidating at night, etc.  Those are the items that could be simply updated.  The rest of the stadium cannot really adjust.

Stadium Eats - Pricey here too.  $6 for a hot dog is above average.  And I wanted to try something that I saw last year, a "Grub Tub".  Well a grub tub apparently doesn't come with sauce for your tenders?  I had to request buffalo sauce and probably got away with something for free, but it was like. $20 for that - i guess close enough?  What I did perceive though are some of the things I cannot stand!  1 - the burgers at the Burger and wing company stand had the cheese not melted?  Really, melt that ****!  The sandwiches at Skins pit beef and a couple other stands were pre-wrapped.  I understand you want to feed the needs to many, however, if you are promoting supposedly awesome things (Skins pit beef was one this year i believe), treat them right for charging $12 for a sandwich.   Phillies for example - the generic stands have prewrapped everything.  those are typically cheaper, made ahead, etc.  Go to a Stand of a local establishment (IE Campos), and you get almost made to order.  Generic Cheesesteak - $11.  Prewrapped, pick up and go.  Typically no line.   Campos, $12 cheesesteak, get in a line, order at register and pay the person, then pick up your cheese steak put together on the spot.  Why does that matter?  NO SOGGY ASS ROLLS!  Delicious, facehump worthy food.  While I typically enjoy some drinks, I have to say the drinks are on point.  However, sitting in a lower level, I was shocked at seeing the beer guy only 2-3 times while at my seat.  They appeared to enjoy getting people as they walked into the section instead of walking around to the seats.

In game experience - While I hate some of the prompted stuff for stadiums, the Skins need it.  "Quiet offense at work" or something needs to be up way more often.  I saw Big Country's look of disgust at all Skins fans being loud on offense - I know Panther fans were there, but I saw a ton of Skins fans clapping, etc.  Drive that point home!  I have heard a "Let's go Redskins" chant in the past.  But yesterday once the video board did a "D, C, D, C, D, C" chant.  Pick one, stick to it, and do it more than once a game, and only while skins are on defense.  The get loud prompts were pretty good.  But I think i'd turn the volume up on some of the players get loud chants - I could barely hear Norman talking.

In the end, it's about money, and the Redskins don't let you forget it.  And there is not a new stadium, advertising is pimped out everywhere outside, concessions are high, parking is high, and the product hasn't been up to the pricing standard.  It's a simple fix, but I'm not sure we'll get the team to attempt to fix it.

This seemed more full from TV, but who knows. 

I don't really care...I think this new acknowledgement that no one likes going is coming at the right time to help drive new stadium decisions (location, capacity, amenities, etc.). 

I'd love to tune in and watch a game in the future where a 49,000 stadium is filled with 90% Redskins fans. 

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We are in the minority, (I guess), because Mrs Skinfan and I like the gameday experience just fine. Seriously.  We sit in the 200's, undercover, and are surrounded by Skins fans.  There were a few Carolina fans, but not too many in 237.

You are one of the lucky ones in the non-cave 200s, which are probably the most choice seats in the place outside of the club deck.  There were aspects of the game day experience that I enjoyed more when the stadium first opened, such as the availability of that area for kids to kick field goals and run obstacle courses, and the band was more a part of the game. Otherwise, I'm there to watch a game, so by and large its just fine to me. Only complaint I really have is as a non-tailgater, I got there about an hour before the game, and at $50 or more per car to park, I've never had a problem finding a spot to park in the stadium lots, but it seems like it should be easier than it is having to navigate to find a spot with everyone putting their coolers, chairs, and cornhole games all over the place.

My mother takes the train in from Philly and we like to sit in the club level where we had season tickets for 10 years before going the Stubhub route.  Again, you being in the 200s, it still seems fairly packed In the lower bowl, and you are still experiencing the energy of how it should be going to the game with the fan excitement. But in the club level and upper decks, its now a different story, especially this season. The club level has always (unfairly, IMO) been maligned as the place where the wine-and-cheesers sat and they weren't as rowdy as the hardcore fans in the other levels. But at least the seating area was largely occupied with cheering fans. Now, the club and upper levels are at most half full, which really is a buzzkill on the whole crowd experience, IMO.

The Dallas game will certainly be higher attended than the first three games, but I'm starting to wonder if its even going to be a sellout. On Ticketmaster this afternoon, seems like there were still plenty of seats, with a starting get-in price of $185, when you factor fees in. Ouch. 

2 hours ago, superozman said:

Stadium Visually - The Fedex colors and the hanging advertisements are freakin' brutal, frankly.   Walking into other stadiums, you have team colors, team photos, different things that stand out team related. The purple, green, blue, orange, black all over the place is basically saying "I don't care about the game day experience, just give me my money ****!". Give me Redskins colors, a dark burgundy would look intimidating at night, etc.  Those are the items that could be simply updated.  The rest of the stadium cannot really adjust.

At least inside the stadium, they have replaced the FedEx colors on top with burgundy, and do have "Home of the Redskins" emblazoned across the top this year.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'd love to tune in and watch a game in the future where a 49,000 stadium is filled with 90% Redskins fans. 

As I said in another post, if the new norm is going to have 60K fans present in a 70-75K seat stadium, we can't get out of Landover quick enough. 

18 hours ago, max21 said:

I was at the game Sunday. I’m about a 1 game a year guy, it was fun but the traffic and parking just kill It for me. It got very loud on the final drive and when Norman picked it off. 

If you park in the Red Zone, exiting the stadium is SOOOOO much easier and faster. I usually get out and am on I495 in about 20 minutes.

Archived