Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

For the first time in my life, I'm seeing ads on the metro for home games for the Redskins and ads on TV as well.  Fully expect them not to sell out next week, maybe the Dallas game if we win.

Indeed, I was shocked to see ticket ads in the Metro on my way to Union Station last weekend. I've never seen that before in my life. This franchise is sucking fumes.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They’ve also been airing old Wizards-like ads on the radio where they advertise the opposing team.  Come see....CAM NEWTON...at FedEx Field. ? 

No way! Really? That is sad. That's definitely an angle I never thought the Skins would take. The emperor really has no clothes at this point...

3 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Any "fan" who attends a game at FedEx is only aiding the enemy.  The only way to get rid of Snyder is to hurt his wallet enough to make him want to sell.  He cant be having fun anymore.  It's just about money to him.

My fear is that instead of selling, Snyder will change the name and move the team to a different city.

Just now, HailSkins90 said:

Even if we don't get a new team ourselves? I hate Snyder as much as the next guy, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Yes.  I would rather this abortion of a franchise cease to exist so at least then I could have my Sundays back.  

The older (and poorer) I get, the more I loathe takes like the one in the OP. Like, it makes me livid in an uncomfortable way.

What reason should I have to give a damn about an overbloated, non-Metro friend stadium with overpriced seats and concessions, a wretched/dangerous playing surface, and a facade that barely has any iconography of the perpetually mediocre team that plays there 10 times a year? Do you know how much money NFL executives make, regardless of how many people actually go to the stadium, never mind how many hometown fans are actually there? The only thing they need from us is to have our priorities so distorted that we'd put ourselves in the red just to sit down and watch a team perpetually float in mediocrity. 

I got bills to pay, people to spend time with, and principals to uphold. All three are in complete conflict with giving this franchise, in its current state, a dime of my money or anything more than a passing notice and now I'm getting fussed at by someone on a message board for not "SUPPORTING REDSKINS NATION" by not spending my most finite resources, time and money, on this?

Your case is less than compelling.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Moving out of area and having kids changed things for me. Weekends in the fall in Texas are also like the getting out of jail. It's 100 degrees into mid-September. In October, you can suddenly start doing things outside again.

Once you start not caring as much, you realize how much time, energy, and money you've wasted on something that really doesn't improve your life that much.

I still watch games - probably 10 a year. But I don't build my life around them any longer. And it feels good and healthy.

Next week, I have symphony tickets for Sunday. The week after that, I have tickets for Les Mis. I'd rather my kids experience that than seeing their dad swear at a tv for four hours.

This is sorta what happened to me but it was more of a personal, internal change that made me step back from the 'Skins and football as a whole. I used to sequester myself off to watch games because no one else in the house cared about the 'Skins. Now? Sundays are for Mass, practicing for my bowling league, and spending time with my friends. 

Nats game? I'll surely pay some money and make the trip down the D.C. to see them and even when they lose (like this year), it never feels like I wasted anything. If nothing else, the perpetual mediocrity and PR snafus of the 'Skins reminded me baseball and bowling were my first loves so I'm spending my time and money on those. Hell, I would have been at the Harrisburg Symphony on Sunday if I had the money for it (they were playing Rachmaninoff's 2nd - always a winner).

Also, I hope Les Mis is a winner! Never seen a live production but the Original London Cast recording of the soundtrack is one of my favorites. 

On 9/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, zoony said:

This is where I am.  I will support an expansion team at this point.

I would absolutely prefer an expansion team. Take this whole clown show out and start over - new uniforms, new names, new stadium, new everything. I'd love it if they were very D.C.-centric - incorporated the city's colors and emblem and have a culture focused on engaging the area, especially the rank-and-file folks that gave the fanbase its loyal and passionate reputation to begin with.

I never thought I'd say this but I want this team and their 80 years of baggage out of D.C. and have an expansion team instead, just like when the first Senators left for Minneapolis and the new Senators were created (sans the awful ownership hot potato that led to that team moving to Arlington, TX).

It's nice to see how desperate Snyder is getting. Do you guys really think the other owners would let him move the team? I think they blame him for the teams failure, not the fanbase. I think they would force him to sell before letting him move the team. That being said, how long do you think it would take to get another franchise? I would say three years MAX. We live in a very populated, very wealthy urban area. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a franchise ready to go the second Snyder moved the team. At this point, we are closer to any of these scenarios then we've ever been. I think the minority owners need to be empowered and stage a coup. Snyder has to have sexually assaulted or harassed somebody in his past, right? Right? 

My take is always the same: I don’t do it for THEM (Snyder/Redskins). I do it for ME. I don’t think they owe me a damn thing and vice versa. I do it because I get enjoyment from it. It is worth my time and money personally due to what I get back. The on field results have never been the de facto way I measure that transaction. If it did, I’d have bailed in 1998 when I first realized we were in big trouble (before I even knew who Snyder was). 

The day I cease to recoup enjoyment from the Redskins is the day I walk. That hasn’t happened yet so it’s unlikely it ever will at this point. For those that have reached that point I don’t blame you at all for bailing. This is ultimately a hobby and it’s stupid to engage in a hobby that doesn’t deliver you some level of satisfaction. 

I totally get where a lot of you guys and gals are coming from; its frustrating to see how predictable this team is and how nonchalant the FO seems to be about it.

There is one glaring problem with this organization, and its Bruce Allen. His **** show has taken him from Oakland to Tampa Bay and now DC, and he's here because his milk-drinking daddy took this team to its first SB with an average over-the-hill group of players.

If Bruce Allen is sent packing, and a REAL GM is brought in and given the reins, Gruden will be so outta here, and young, hungry coaches will come in and turn this thing around. But it has to be a total house-cleaning, from Allen to Gruden to the assistants to the scouting staff to the water boy.

A few years with young hungry personnel will bring this team back as well as filled seats in the stands. The only way I'd support Snyder staying is if he hires a good GM and stays outta the way, and I mean a serious commitment to not even looking in the direction of the team.

The way things have gone and the way I think things will go, there will be some major house-cleaning, and there really needs to be a major dedicated anti-Bruce Allen petition to be removed from the team.

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

They will never allow DC to not have a team.  This isn't a joke city like Seattle.  We are the nation's capital and 3 states will pay for a new stadium.  

Technically, DC hasn't had a pro football team in nearly 22 years.

I'd actually feel relieved if the team moved. I enjoyed football so much when I was just watching Red Zone the last two Sundays. The Redskins don't really get my emotions up anymore, but I feel like its an obligation at this point to watch them every week. It isn't fun.

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

They will never allow DC to not have a team.  This isn't a joke city like Seattle.  We are the nation's capital and 3 states will pay for a new stadium.  

But I also don't see the NFL adding a 33rd team.  I guess they could bring in a 34th (London, Mexico?), But NFL is pretty balanced with 8 four team divisions.  Another team, like bidwills cardinals, could come here.  It would be someone who is willing to uproot their team from the current city/fanbase to chase a few extra dollars. Then it may be: meet the new boss, same as the old boss.  

I don't even live in the DC area but I think the Redskins moving would be pretty devastating for many, and would be something many people would regret wishing for.  

14 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Any "fan" who attends a game at FedEx is only aiding the enemy.  The only way to get rid of Snyder is to hurt his wallet enough to make him want to sell.  He cant be having fun anymore.  It's just about money to him.

I absolutely agree with this.  We've been enabling Dan Snyder for too long.  Time to show some tough love.

To me, the job of the fans is to applaud when applause is due, to encourage when encouragement is needed, and apply presssure when pressure is needed.  Its way past the point of needing to apply pressure, we need to basically be at DefCon2, and the enemy is Dan Snyder.  This franchise will not succeed until he sells the teams, its really that simple, the dude just has a hex on him or something....

11 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I totally get where a lot of you guys and gals are coming from; its frustrating to see how predictable this team is and how nonchalant the FO seems to be about it.

There is one glaring problem with this organization, and its Bruce Allen. His **** show has taken him from Oakland to Tampa Bay and now DC, and he's here because his milk-drinking daddy took this team to its first SB with an average over-the-hill group of players.

If Bruce Allen is sent packing, and a REAL GM is brought in and given the reins, Gruden will be so outta here, and young, hungry coaches will come in and turn this thing around. But it has to be a total house-cleaning, from Allen to Gruden to the assistants to the scouting staff to the water boy.

A few years with young hungry personnel will bring this team back as well as filled seats in the stands. The only way I'd support Snyder staying is if he hires a good GM and stays outta the way, and I mean a serious commitment to not even looking in the direction of the team.

The way things have gone and the way I think things will go, there will be some major house-cleaning, and there really needs to be a major dedicated anti-Bruce Allen petition to be removed from the team.

I strongly agree with you here.  And I'll even take it a step further with an example I was contemplating just this morning.

Sadly, I'm a New York Knicks fan (because I idolized Walt Frazier growing up).  The Knicks are owned by James Dolan who just so happens to share the throne with Danny Boy as the worst owner in the entire history of professional sports.  So I've been living this nightmare times 2 the past couple of decades.

But, the Knicks have a front office in place now that seemingly has a handle on things and has a plan in place.  Thus far they're sticking to that plan.  They've invested in scouting which resulted in a draft this past year that has been well received by national pundits.  They're taking chances on young castoffs from other teams who were once lottery picks.  Low cost, high upside players.  They've firmly decided that they're not trading young assets or draft picks for a quick fix.  Most importantly, they've publicly stated that this upcoming season will be a rebuilding season due to the fact that their star player, Porzingis, will miss most of the season rehabbing a torn acl and they're still trying to figure out which pieces they need to keep going forward and what needs to be added next offseason.  

The Knick fans are almost unanimously behind this effort and are willing to suffer a little while longer as long as management sticks to this plan.  It could be that I get fooled again and Dolan sticks his nose where it doesn't belong and derails this plan, but today I have hope for the Knicks future.  Which is more than I can say for the Skins.

Long story short, I agree with your post and shared this story on the Knicks as proof that it can be done.

13 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Hell no. We need to stop the robbery of the poor to pay for these massive stadiums. Every single economic study of the impact of public subsidies on bringing a stadium to an area shows that the municipality and its people always lose.

I want no part of my taxes going to buying a new stadium.

For those bucking for an expansion team:

how long did L.A wait for a team? They have two now, and neither are expansion teams. Do you really think the NFL is going to add an expansion team just for d.c? L.A is two to three times the size of d.c with roughly the same cost of living. It's the 8th largest economy in the world by itself and the NFL wasn't willing to expand just for them.

a lot of you people seriously over estimate people's regard/opinion for d.c.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:00 AM, Kilmer17 said:

I don't think that's going to happen. Even with an empty stadiums teams are making money.

In 2017 the NFL, through their shared revenue the NFL made ~$8,000,000,000. That's ~$250,000,000 per team with the only offsetting expenses being players, which the 2017 salary cap was ~$167,000,000, so each team pocketed ~$83,000,000 before tax/expenses. 

What's on the horizon is sports betting. For the NFL it's estimated to be a $100,000,000 industry. If they can capture 1-3% of that revenue it's a massive increase. Per team this would boost their income by $30-$90M annually. 

Then each team has access to their merchandise sales, so the businesses are already very profitable before you factor in any gate revenue. 

Let's look at the gate revenue a bit more. We get 8 home games. The stadium has a max of 82,000. Let's say the average ticket face value is $200, but an average parking/drink/food per person is $50, so on average the 'max' revenue a team can make is $164,000,000. That's not including expenses like rent or employees. 

Let's say the net revenue is $80,000,000. That's a lot of money to us, but there are a few things to remember:

- If it's 50% sold out he's still making ~$40M based on my quick math, which also isn't bad. 

- The stadium needs significant investment to bring the fan experience on par with other venues. 

- He bought the franchise in 1999 for $800,000,000. With the Panthers selling for $2M he's not focused on smaller $40M annual increases in revenue.  

- The way he can best increase his investment would be through a city funded stadium. 

If I was in his seat why not just let the fan experience diminish (while still making a lot of money) and relocate to a new place when the opportunity presents itself? 

In short not attending games won't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. It might help Dan move the team, but if that's the goal it's an entirely different conversation. 

2 hours ago, MrSilverMaC said:

For those bucking for an expansion team:

how long did L.A wait for a team? They have two now, and neither are expansion teams. Do you really think the NFL is going to add an expansion team just for d.c? L.A is two to three times the size of d.c with roughly the same cost of living. It's the 8th largest economy in the world by itself and the NFL wasn't willing to expand just for them.

a lot of you people seriously over estimate people's regard/opinion for d.c.

Archived