Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Can anyone quantify the most fans we have had stop by? I seem to remember a Pitt game a few years back, as being one of the bigger invasions.  A total guess, maybe 10K.

I haven't been to all of the games at FedEx, but been to a fair share. The 2008 game against Pitt was probably the first one at FedEx that raised a lot of eyebrows. I wasn't there in 2016 when Pitt returned here for the season opener, so don't know how it was in comparison. 

Otherwise, the 2012 game against the Ravens was pretty bad......I think it might have been 50/50 as far as Skins and Ravens fans that way (and made it so sweet when the Skins prevailed in OT). And last year's Cowboys game in the rain seemed bad as well. 

I guess what I don’t get about the new strategy with tickets is how that limits opposing team fans.  There is no background check when buying tix straight through the team.  I’m sure Packers fans have been flooding Redskins.com to buy tix straight from the team if they are cheaper than the secondary market.

I also noticed the Skins are now utilizing one of the Wizards old strategies, by having ads/commercials about the opposing teams players to drum up interest to fill seats.

15 hours ago, skins2victory said:

The Browns had 8 first round picks from 2012 - 2016. All are off the team. They have not been winning on or off the field, but there fans still show up to give there team a home field advantage.

2012: Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden (both out of NFL)
2013: Barkevious Mingo (Seahawks)
2014: Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel (both out of NFL)
2015: Danny Shelton (traded to Patriots), Cam Erving (viewed as bust, now with Chiefs)
2016: Corey Coleman (traded to Bills)

Their stadium is in downtown and their stadium is actually nice

Fans aren't angry anymore. They just don't care anymore. It's apathy at it's finest. 

NFL network made a top ten homefield advantage list a few years ago. It included old and new stadiums. RFK stadium didn't even make the best of the rest list. People try and romanticize the atmosphere and fans. There were plenty of empties when the team was bad. Furthermore, the team that played in the stadium was a consistent SB contender. Sure, it's better than the current dump. But it only had 57 thousand seats. It created more demand.

9 minutes ago, Skins8989 said:

Fans aren't angry anymore. They just don't care anymore. It's apathy at it's finest. 

NFL network made a top ten homefield advantage list a few years ago. It included old and new stadiums. RFK stadium didn't even make the best of the rest list. People try and romanticize the atmosphere and fans. There were plenty of empties when the team was bad. Furthermore, the team that played in the stadium was a consistent SB contender. Sure, it's better than the current dump. But it only had 57 thousand seats. It created more demand.

Any list without RFK from the glory days on it is not worth much. Without a doubt, that stadium was one of the best home field advantages around. I watched those games, and I remember very well hearing comments about how hard it was to play there every single week. It was like playing in Thunderdome, with the fans right on top of the field, all that dirt and filth. It was beautiful. 

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

Any list without RFK from the glory days on it is not worth much. Without a doubt, that stadium was one of the best home field advantages around. I watched those games, and I remember very well hearing comments about how hard it was to play there every single week. It was like playing in Thunderdome, with the fans right on top of the field, all that dirt and filth. It was beautiful. 

The team was a powerhouse. I doubt it was louder than Arrowhead or Seattle on their worst days ( Seattle & KC I mean).

When they built the stadium in 97, they put in too many seats. They over estimated the market. Building a 65-70 k stadium would've been fine. Regardless, the team on the field is one reason for fan apathy. But the owner is the biggest. He's an unlikable guy. Jerry Jones without any success. I don't even think one long playoff run would get the fan base back. I think it will take new oenership and/or a new stadium in DC.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:52 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I think if Dorsey was our GM (along with multiple big names in that FO to help him) and we drafted Mayfield -- the stadium would have another vibe to it.

Among other things, I think the 1-2 punch of having a real personnel guy and then taking him away and then a real franchise QB with many years likely ahead of him and then taking him away -- has had some impact on this franchise.  If you are going to do that replace both with something similar. 

The Browns don't have a running petition online like Redskins fans (last I looked with almost 10,000 signatures) about removing their Team President. 

We are going through I think tougher times as for future/hope than the Browns for a change.  Though I agree with your general point, the Browns are the NFL's equivalent of the Cubs -- die hards win or lose.    Having said that I have a book called GM about the Giants GM and he talked about how impressed he was more than any team in the NFC East about the dedication and passion of Redskins fans. 

He referred to a meaningless game played at the end of the season at Fedex between the Redskins and Giants and the stadium was packed and it was loud.  The game he was referring to was one of the early Jason Campbell starts back when we thought he might be the goods.  My point is I don't underestimate the power of having a young QB that you are excited by as to giving some overall hope about the future. 

I think part of the problem here is we don't have that.  We can talk about having some good drafts.   But if you are old at QB so what?  That's why I wanted to draft a QB this year as opposed to go for a veteran.  I am not blaming Alex on this.  I think he's a good QB.  But I don't think fans think we are going to be world beaters with him unless they see it.  I don't think its an accident that last off season Kirk jerseys in Minny outsold Alex's jersey's here by far.

Sorry but the front office is fine. Allen has had really good drafts unlike our former Gm who blew every draft here.

the only thing you could say is under Allen they have done just the opposite- not spending money all over the place on madden rosters. Which I think is a good thing.  

The big issue we have is coaching . We have had 3 good coaches under Snyder - shannahan , Gibbs and  shottenhimer . The rest were meh coaches.

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Sorry but the front office is fine. Allen has had really good drafts unlike our former Gm who blew every draft here.

the only thing you could say is under Allen they have done just the opposite- not spending money all over the place on madden rosters. Which I think is a good thing.  

The big issue we have is coaching . We have had 3 good coaches under Snyder - shannahan , Gibbs and  shottenhimer . The rest were meh coaches.

OK judging by twitter, surveys, polls done by radio stations Bruce Allen is by a mile the most unpopular figure attached with the Redskins.  Dan recognizes this according to some of the beat reporters hence they've decided to keep him out of the limelight of late as to making public statements.

If you think he's been doing a good job to each their own.  But I presume you realize that Bruce isn't a popular figure with the fans?  Heck even his pal Cooley said that Bruce himself realizes this.    So even if Bruce is doing a really nice job as GM, then he's doing a poor job selling it -- and running with that narrative he remains a problem in the soup as to fan apathy.  As far as I can tell, no other fan base is running petitions (with about 10,000 signatures mind you already) about removing their team president.    Personally, I think he's abysmal at his job.  But even if I ran with your thoughts here -- its not hard to see that's not how a good chunk of the fan base sees it.  

4 hours ago, Skins8989 said:

When they built the stadium in 97, they put in too many seats. They over estimated the market. Building a 65-70 k stadium would've been fine. 

I dunno…...you have to remember that the stadium's capacity was about 78K when it opened. This at a time not too far removed from a 20-year run of great success for the franchise. There was a true waiting list at the time. I think the club level at 15K probably was made too big....probably 10K would've sufficed.  But at the time, the prices per game for the club level (which was probably the vehicle people who couldn't get season tickets previously used) were not unreasonable at $100-200 per game, when you consider what brokers were fetching for tickets at the time. Heck, a year before, the Panthers had opened their new stadium with 73K seats.  What probably wasn't anticipated at the time was the technology that was going to make the home TV experience that much better, and especially today when compared to paying $80 to sit in the far reaches of the upper deck. Also, the prices the Skins currently ask for club seats are ridiculous. Finally, has to bne remembered that it was Snyder who added over 10K in capacity to the stadium after he took over.  

I think people are failing to realize that ticket prices were higher in the 90s and early 2000s because there was no internet. The only way to attend games was to know someone who had tickets, therefore it was a valuable commodity to have.  i remember when i was in college, i used to sell skins tickets on ebay prior to the ticket search engine websites for double and triple face because we had tickets. 

1 hour ago, tomwvr said:

Marty was a good coach, but of course we know he wasn't given a chance.

Gibbs' record with the Skins in his first tenure speaks for itself. However, in retrospect, probably should've realized that he wasn't going to be a long-term solution, which is what the team likely needed at the time. If we would've gotten him in, say, 2001 instead of 2004, probably would've been better.

Shanny was a good coach in Denver, but his performance here probably makes him the most disappointing coach we've had under Snyder. 

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Marty was a good coach, but of course we know he wasn't given a chance.

Gibbs' record with the Skins in his first tenure speaks for itself. However, in retrospect, probably should've realized that he wasn't going to be a long-term solution, which is what the team likely needed at the time. If we would've gotten him in, say, 2001 instead of 2004, probably would've been better.

Shanny was a good coach in Denver, but his performance here probably makes him the most disappointing coach we've had under Snyder. 

What it should tell you is that coaching doesnt much matter if you dont have the right front office picking your players.  

On the flip side, Mike Tomlin might be special needs.  He will win 11 games this year.

24 minutes ago, zoony said:

What it should tell you is that coaching doesnt much matter if you dont have the right front office picking your players.  

Probably the biggest criticism of Snyder is that (until Jay) he was too star struck with the big-name coaches and didn't pay enough attention to the importance of the front office.

Seems to me that perhaps there wasn't enough turnover in the head front office jobs. The tenures of Scott Campbell (recently retired) and Alex Santos (still with the team) coincided with a pretty dreadful stretch for the Redskins. 

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Can anyone at the game today report on the attendance today? It was wet but the lower bowl looked a bit packed. no pun intended 

Was it better than Week 2? 

Yes, there were a lot more people in the lower bowl. Lots of Packers fans, but the Skins success made them, largely, a non-factor.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think it’s going to take more time.  I think if they beat the Saints, come home and beat the panthers, we will start to see a change.  I personally think it’s going to take more than a two game win streak.

Being lite isn't the same as saying winning the fanbase back.  The damage is done to this generation, that will take time, but that's different.

I thought there were probably a little more folks there today than last week. I thought the lower bowl sidelines were also full against Indy. The top part of the LL end zones had a lot of empties last week. Those sections were a bit more filled this week but there still were noticeable stretches of vacant seats down there. Club and upper still had a lot of empties. I thought the game was mainly played in a drizzle, so being in the stands wasn't bad. A whole lot of Packers fans making noise in the LL too.

I haven't seen any attendance stats yet, but will guess about 65K.

Archived