Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

4 hours ago, kleese said:

I have thought about this too, although I’ll go a step farther and say maybe even leaving the area altogether.... become the San Antonio Saddles or something. That way all the currently disenfranchised fans would no longer have the burden. The team would be gone and they could either choose to be Saddles fans or pick another team or just quit the NFL altogether. Maybe start crossing their fingers to get a new DC team again someday. Honestly with local turnout as we see it, I wonder if DC would honestly really care (as a whole not the die hards of course) if the Redskins just went away altogether? Might be the best solution at this point. DC lost the Senators and eventually got the Nats. Same principle here. 

Obviously this is all just mindless chatter because for all his ills I don’t think anyone has ever accused Snyder of not being loyal to the area or the Redskins brand. But I’m serious when I say I’d be fine with them just up and leaving— it would give everyone a chance at a fresh start. 

I honestly wouldn't care if they left, if that's what it took to rid myself of the stench of Dan Snyder

wait. None of you guys plan your holidays around redskins football? 

Laaaammmeeeeeeee :P 

when we’ve played on thanksgiving (like this year), I’ve made it clear to my family I’ll be eating in front of the tv and not with them and they can join me when they’re finished ?? they seem ok with it ??‍♂️ 

I can definitely relate to the one who said he was checking his phone for updates on Bucs/saints game a couple years ago on Xmas eve. My family had some family friends over for Christmas Eve dinner and while they were getting ready i was in the tv room down the hall cheering loudly for the Bucs :D giving everybody constant updates 

69% attendance in our home opener, worst in the NFL. I think this is being blown out of proportion a bit, we were 4th worst in attendance last season, 2nd worst the year before, and 3rd worst the year before that.

There are so many possible explanations for this, which in itself says a lot, but I believe the main reason is that during the Snyder era this franchise has been consistently below average and then this past off-season we "downgraded," as many view it, at QB. Hope was lost for that rather large percentage of fans.

It's disappointing that a long distance fan who goes to maybe one away game per year would have the balls to call out local fans. You gave up one Sunday per season, which you probably turned into a long weekend vacation, and you think you have room to say anything. Move here and pay $200+ eight times a year to watch your team lose more often than win. Until you do so, shut it, you have no right. 

I lived in DC for the past eight years and went to a couple games every season. I certainly would have been at this home opener, but I don't blame fans for not going. This has been a roller coaster that's been going down more than up for the past two plus decades and it has come to a tipping point.

The team's long-term lack of success combined with it's despicable owner in a small, melting pot city = no new fans. A lot of melting pots can convert new residents with their successful, storied sports franchises whose stadiums are conveniently located. That certainly isn't the Redskins. This team is losing lifelong fans and not gaining any new ones, what else should we expect to see in terms of attendance?

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

69% attendance in our home opener, worst in the NFL. I think this is being blown out of proportion a bit, we were 4th worst in attendance last season, 2nd worst the year before, and 3rd worst the year before that.

There are so many possible explanations for this, which in itself says a lot, but I believe the main reason is that during the Snyder era this franchise has been consistently below average and then this past off-season we "downgraded," as many view it, at QB. Hope was lost for that rather large percentage of fans.

It's disappointing that a long distance fan who goes to maybe one away game per year would have the balls to call out local fans. You gave up one Sunday per season, which you probably turned into a long weekend vacation, and you think you have room to say anything. Move here and pay $200+ eight times a year to watch your team lose more often than win. Until you do so, shut it, you have no right. 

I lived in DC for the past eight years and went to a couple games every season. I certainly would have been at this home opener, but I don't blame fans for not going. This has been a roller coaster that's been going down more than up for the past two plus decades and it has come to a tipping point.

The team's long-term lack of success combined with it's despicable owner in a small, melting pot city = no new fans. A lot of melting pots can convert new residents with their successful, storied sports franchises whose stadiums are conveniently located. That certainly isn't the Redskins. This team is losing lifelong fans and not gaining any new ones, what else should we expect to see in terms of attendance?

That’s why I use the term “dead” instead of “dying.” The fan base is dead. Of course you have die hards like myself and many others here who will be here regardless, but big picture the fan base is dead. The new approach shouldn’t be “winning back” the area; it should be “starting anew.” I would say they are off to a decent start with BL.... coming clean about the sellout streak is as good enough a place to start as any. Hopefully less arrogance and more transparency will slowly help things along. Ultimately though it’s all about winning. If we are 11-4 week 17 playing the Eagles for the East the game will sellout. There may be more Eagles fans in attendance than we’d like, but it would still likely be a good and lively crowd. If you start winning consistently and approaching the PR side o things with more honesty perhaps over the course of the next 25 years you swing the pendulum back and younger fans jump on board. In terms of the relationship between the city, the fans, and the team it isn’t crumbling— it’s crumbled. What is done is done. They can’t fix this between week 2 and week 3 of this season. It’s gonna take a lot of time. 

14 minutes ago, kleese said:

That’s why I use the term “dead” instead of “dying.” The fan base is dead. Of course you have die hards like myself and many others here who will be here regardless, but big picture the fan base is dead. The new approach shouldn’t be “winning back” the area; it should be “starting anew.” I would say they are off to a decent start with BL.... coming clean about the sellout streak is as good enough a place to start as any. Hopefully less arrogance and more transparency will slowly help things along. Ultimately though it’s all about winning. If we are 11-4 week 17 playing the Eagles for the East the game will sellout. There may be more Eagles fans in attendance than we’d like, but it would still likely be a good and lively crowd. If you start winning consistently and approaching the PR side o things with more honesty perhaps over the course of the next 25 years you swing the pendulum back and younger fans jump on board. In terms of the relationship between the city, the fans, and the team it isn’t crumbling— it’s crumbled. What is done is done. They can’t fix this between week 2 and week 3 of this season. It’s gonna take a lot of time. 

Yep.  It's about winning and losing, period.  It's not even about the stadium, parking, traffic, game day experience.  It's not even about being lied to about the waiting list, or the organizational arrogance   If we start winning 12 games a year, the stadium will be sold out.

In the past few years, people would say  "I'm not spending any more money on this team until they change the way they operate.  No merchandise, no tickets, nothing."   It seemed futile because the team insisted there was an endless waiting list of people willing to buy tickets if you weren't.  But, this offseason and especially the Colts game were really a turning point to me.   I think we're at the point where we have absolutely gotten the attention of the organization, that they can no longer take massive widespread support for granted.

I won't be renewing my season tickets next year.  Not out of protest or exasperation or anything, because I crossed that line years ago.  But simply for practical reasons.  The only reason I've been renewing is so that I could sit in those exact same seats with those exact same guys.   Now, I can do that without having to pay for preseason and for the one or two games I can't attend.  

What concerns me a bit is that it's clear the organization has gotten the message.   They hired this LaFemina guy, they saw the empty seats, they've clearly seen how bad things can get.   And yet they still don't appear to be running a professional organization .  The only solution is winning.   They need to do whatever it takes, now, to get to a point where within three years or so we're winning 11-12 games every year.  They need to hire a real GM.   A real one.  No Bruce Allen.   No Doug Williams.   A real GM and do it the right way.   That's the only way to fix this .  It sort of concerns me that while I'm convinced they've finally gotten the message that they can't take us fans for granted, they aren't doing what (in my opinion) needs to be done to build long-term sustained success. 

12 minutes ago, kleese said:

This is so on the money it hurts. I inherited being a fan from my parents. I was born in early 1990, so their memories of the 70's and 80's were very fresh for me growing up. I'm also a NoVA native, a rarity, but we do exist. For all the things I love and hate about DC, the Skins for a long time were in my "love" column, despite Dan Snyder.

Growing up in northern Virginia public schools, many of my peers were from out of town and none of them were Skins fans. None of them came on board. Local kids were adopting the Steelers and the Cowboys as their teams.

This organization over the last two decades has done an extremely poor job of making sure the next generation came on board as fans. The team plays in Landover, practices in the suburbs of Virginia. What ties to the city does the team have? Very few compared to all our other teams that are very much centered downtown. Going to Nats/DCU games are exciting experiences even when the home team doesn't win. The teams have great stories and loveable players. The Skins have no team culture the fans can identify with. Jay Gruden is truthfully the only person I could identify by both name and face other than maybe Trent Williams. There's nothing compelling about who they are as an organization, no honor in their purpose, no ideals to look up to. There's an inaccessible, car-centric stadium that's decaying and overpriced in every way.

So you really do have an imploding time bomb that is beginning to show here: poor new fan onboarding during the late 90's and 00's brought about by uncompelling game day experience with a poor stadium location/venue and bad team play, no recognizably community-oriented culture with the players that connects to the city itself. Not to mention the negative brand association of Dan Snyder and his management. It's all a giant sticky morass that's taken a long time to build up and will take a long time to undo *if* they started fixing these fundamental problems tomorrow.

Older lifelong fans are aging and dying, fans from the 70s to 90s are starting to give up, and few people my age (35 and less) came on board as fans during the 00's and 10's. It's a huge demographics problem that will take a lot of time to fix.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

when we’ve played on thanksgiving (like this year), I’ve made it clear to my family I’ll be eating in front of the tv and not with them and they can join me when they’re finished ?? they seem ok with it ??‍♂️ 

We've all interacted with you.

We get why they are ok with it.

28 minutes ago, kleese said:

That’s why I use the term “dead” instead of “dying.” The fan base is dead. Of course you have die hards like myself and many others here who will be here regardless, but big picture the fan base is dead. The new approach shouldn’t be “winning back” the area; it should be “starting anew.”

Czaban actually made a great point this week, I thought.

Short of maybe a 14-2 Super Bowl type season, no fan that has given up season tickets or who has stopped going regularly is going to go back to FedEx Field. Giving up the Redskins live is like giving up a bad relationship. You may get nostalgic occasionally and look at old pictures, but you are never going to willingly jump back in.

The only chance of getting those types of fans back is by going to a new stadium.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I honestly wouldn't care if they left, if that's what it took to rid myself of the stench of Dan Snyder

We say that, and then the real browns win two super bowls in Baltimore .  devil you know i feel at this point, I'm not sure I'm at the he's never gonna get it stage, jut i know I'm in the minority.  Could be Jags, could be new browns

9 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

We've all interacted with you.

We get why they are ok with it.

? not entirely sure what you mean by that...

also, anyone else notice that the guy in the gif that Zoony added looks almost exactly like Alex Smith ? that’s the guy from the movie La La Land, right?

1 minute ago, zoony said:

This is where I am.  I will support an expansion team at this point.

I'd be very sad if the team left DC! But dang, the thought of a team with a professional front office and a decent owner is such a good one.

I'm sure though that if the organization did actually leave for another city, we'd be cursed to 40 years without a team, same as the Senators.

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We say that, and then the real browns win two super bowls in Baltimore .  devil you know i feel at this point, I'm not sure I'm at the he's never gonna get it stage, jut i know I'm in the minority.

That was me maybe 6-7 years ago during the Beck/Grossman season. Back then I was of that mindset that I couldn't bear the thought of them leaving and winning.

Then you mentally/emotionally cross the rubicon. For me that was the Seattle playoff game,  and in to 2013. For me, this isn't about the team, or the players. It's Snyder. It's always been Snyder, and it always will be. And I have reached a point where I'm ready to let it all go, and if he somehow gets his act together, so be it. But it would be unlikely. I don't think he'll ever "Get it" here.

Someone brought up Philly, and it's a great point. Despite the oft earned reputation of theirs, one thing is for certain.... They do not cheer complacency or mediocrity. They don't enable it. They give it the exact response it deserves. And they reward success, and effort.

A lot of players have had many opportunities to trash them, but many respect that fanbase for that very reason, despite their ****headedness  (one that we're really not that far from, considering how idiotic and ragey our own fans have been for awhile now).

This ain't Bowling Green. You don't lay an egg like that then turn around and question me for not approving of it. This team has been a joke for a generation now, and people are tired of it.

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Talk to a friend.

Leave him alone, he's just a kid, man. Jesus.

11 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

? not entirely sure what you mean by that...

also, anyone else notice that the guy in the gif that Zoony added looks almost exactly like Alex Smith ? that’s the guy from the movie La La Land, right?

Part of posting on the board is being roasted on occasion, especially when you throw watermelons over the plate

Happens to me, happens to everyone.  Its all in good fun, i would just move on / let it go

Archived