Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

2 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

I would like to think Redskins Nation is better than that. Maybe its now only like that for the out state fans. By the reaction in this thread it sure feels like it. The feeling is no one cares anymore. Extremely sad!

We did think we were better than that. We thought that for 25 years. Now the chicken has finally come home to roost.

If Sunday is what we got at home after thrashing the Cards week 1, things are looking pretty bleak.

Packers fans travel.

11 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

@Renegade7 I think you are confusing @hail2skins with me. I started this thread. I was born in 86, and have not seen any of the good years either. I live in an area when most people are Seahawk fans. They were going to super bowls while I would get laughed at. I still represent the Burgundy and Gold regardless of the teams success. That's why I made this thread. I'm embarrassed to see our fan base only sell out half the stadium on our home opener, coming off a win, its pathetic. Regardless of the situation, all of us Skins fans represent Redskins Nation. I would like to think Redskins Nation is better than that. Maybe its now only like that for the out state fans. By the reaction in this thread it sure feels like it. The feeling is no one cares anymore. Extremely sad!

You're right, changed one line and the rest still applies to anyone that feels that way, including you.  Stop saying it was only half-filled, that's not true and over exaggerates the situation.  You're situation doesn't compare because we live in the area and starting to get the same level of crap as an out of town fan would with how transient the town has become.  It's worse then it was 10 years ago (I just moved back from Hampton Roads, which closed its Redskins store and cancel Beach Blitz for a reason). 

Listen man, I don't think you get this, but when you say stuff like at happened was pathetic it comes across like you're calling us pathetic.  How do you expect any of us to take that considering what we're going through versus what you are going through.  Give me that crap about you repping the skins anyway, that's moving the goal post to, your thread is about going to the home game, two completely different things.  Ask anyway, they'll tell you they are a fan but tired of watching this team give up in person. 

I've lost count of how many times I've watched them wanting them to win more then they do, that's not supposed to be way that works.  Get outgunned, don't leave the damn gun at and say you forgot you were going to the shooting range today.

Edit:  I just re-read that last sentence about out of state fans caring about the team more then local fans, you have no idea WTF you are talking about, not from the other side of the country, no you don't.

6 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

We did think we were better than that. We thought that for 25 years. Now the chicken has finally come home to roost.

If Sunday is what we got at home after thrashing the Cards week 1, things are looking pretty bleak.

Packers fans travel.

It would sure be nice to have a home field advantage. You know, make it so Rodgers can't easily communicate with the rest of the guys on offense. You know, like a home field advantage is supposed to be. The fans giving up already, shows a true fan card. We did beat the Packers the last time we played them. Sunday night football I believe.  I didn't think we stood a chance in that game, but we did it. 

1 minute ago, skins2victory said:

It would sure be nice to have a home field advantage. You know, make it so Rodgers can't easily communicate with the rest of the guys on offense. You know, like a home field advantage is supposed to be. The fans giving up already, shows a true fan card. We did beat the Packers the last time we played them. Sunday night football I believe.  I didn't think we stood a chance in that game, but we did it. 

You need to stop equating not going to the game with giving up on the team, and you have no right to be calling people's fan card.  And wake up, man, that's Aaron Rodgers, he has that offense practicing silent snap counts in their sleep.

@Renegade7 you don't know me sir. I do know what i'm talking about. I have never missed a live game in 20 years. I take the day off work on Monday night games because I work evening shift,  just to get disappointed about every time. I'm sure you know our Monday night record. I've felt every loss, just as ya'll have. Does not matter where I live. HTTR

Image result for redskins stadium 9/16/18 colts

Image result for Skins' sellout streak ends

Sure those pictures make our players what to give it there all for us fans.

8 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

@Renegade7 you don't know me sir. I do know what i'm talking about. I have never missed a live game in 20 years. I take the day off work on Monday night games because I work evening shift,  just to get disappointed about every time. I'm sure you know our Monday night record. I've felt every loss, just as ya'll have. Does not matter where I live. HTTR

I don't miss games either, and you are calling us local fans out repeatedly and you don't know us.  Cut the crap and get off your high horse, you are wrong here, dead wrong to think for two seconds that because you join a pack of fans in Seattle that ya'll are more diehard then we are.  You want to be mad about there being that many empty seats, get on a plane and either go to a game yourself or tell Snyder how you really feel as that's the reason we are losing, not us.  I'm taking this personal because you've made this personal, so I recommend just backtracking your statements as I've said things out of frustration as well, you've gone too far and making it worse.  Your's are illplaced at best. 

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

But in defense of the OP.....whatever happened to "hope springs eternal?" Yes, the    Skins performance over the past 25 years speaks for itself, but shouldn't the fans go into each new season with some optimism and the hope that maybe this year we'll be pleasantly surprised? Instead, we are at a mindset where we've started to give up before these seasons even begin.

I will definitely agree with you on that. Every season is a new start. You never know what can happen.  No reason the fans shouldn't have come out on Sunday. We were 1-0 coming home. I myself was expecting a win. If I were home (I'm in California) and someone had offered me good seats I would have gone to the game.

I think ultimately fans are fed up and don't want to support Snyder or the Redskins anymore, simple and plain. They are sick of the name controversy, the continual mediocre play on the field, the front office debacle, and many other things that people have touched on in this thread. That is not even to mention the general distaste with the NFL and the rule change, anthem controversy, and whatever else you want to throw on top of it.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't miss games either, and you are calling us local fans out repeatedly and you don't know us.  Cut the crap and get off your high horse, you are wrong here, dead wrong to think for two seconds that because you join a pack of fans in Seattle that ya'll are more diehard then we are.  You want to be mad about there being that many empty seats, get on a plane and either go to a game yourself or tell Snyder how you really feel as that's the reason we are losing, not us.  I'm taking this personal because you've made this personal, so I recommend just backtracking your statements as I've said things out of frustration as well.  You're are illplaced at best. 

No not all local fans. In the images, I do see that people showed up. There is obviously some good ones left. I do go to games sir, I try my best to rep Redskins Nation. I hope you will as well. LOL you act like im asking all the local fans to go to every game, not the case. The images on TV were by far the worst showing, ever. EVER! To a home opener when we were 1-0. I do not understand why our fan base would not have had a better showing than that. I flew over to a Skins game 3 years ago. I thought It was great. Redskins nation was representing that day. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Regardless of what people feel about the name, I always felt changing to Washington Warriors was the perfect name to change to, especially if we essentially used the 70th anniversary jerseys.  It's the rebrand of least resistance and one we deserve at this point, right while moving back to the RFK site.

Image result for redskins 70th anniversary jersey

I like the Washington Admirals probably the most. Would be an extreme change in uniform design though. 

3 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

No not all local fans. In the images, I do see that people showed up. There is obviously some good ones left. I do go to games sir, I try my best to rep Redskins Nation. I hope you will as well. LOL you act like im asking all the local fans to go to every game, not the case. The images on TV were by far the worst showing, ever. EVER! To a home opener when we were 1-0. I do not understand why our fan base would not have had a better showing than that. I flew over to a Skins game 3 years ago. I thought It was great. Redskins nation was representing that day. 

I was at the Colts game, you might have missed that and the part where half the games I've been to have been losses, all home games. 

I'm not saying it wasn't bad, but I'm not shocked, and I'm tired of people including you blaming the fans for this or calling us out for not being real fans.  You don't know what a real fan is in that case. F that, other teams run into the same problem and when the team starts winning they come right back, that's normal.  You're just pissed it happened to us and trying to find someone to blame.  What I don't understand is why you aren't blaming Allen or Snyder.

BTW, youre picture shows 2:05 on the clock, the only time we were at that part of the field with that much time on the clock was the 4th quarter.  That bottom pic is likely from the top level where there was the least amount of fans.  Point your anger at someone that can actually do something about this, is there job to do something about this, we have no control over this nonsense, otherwise we woulda taken the team from Snyder ourselves years ago.  You what its like defending you're "racist" team in the city they play, the area you grew up in?  I'm home and sometimes I feel like the enemy, so please, get off our case.

5 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

And no I don't live in Seattle. When the Skins come to town I drive 6 hours to Seattle and spend a lot of money to attend.

Then you know what that drive back feels like.  I've driven back to Hampton Roads from night game to work the next day, watched the Giants rip the ball right out of Garcon's hands with my own eyes, talking about who wants it more, if only we showed up to support them he might of wanted it more instead.  Nonsense, that place was packed, too, that wasn't why we lost.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I was at the Colts game, you might have missed that and the part where half the games I've been to have been losses, all home games. 

I'm not saying it wasn't bad, but I'm not shocked, and I'm tired of people including you blaming the fans for this or calling us out for not being real fans.  You don't know what a real fan is in that case. F that, other teams run into the same problem and when the team starts winning they come right back, that's normal.  You're just pissed it happened to us and trying to find someone to blame.  What I don't understand is why you aren't blaming Allen or Snyder.

BTW, youre picture shows 2:05 on the clock, the only time we were at that part of the field with that much time on the clock was the 4th quarter.  That bottom pic is likely from the top level where there was the least amount of fans.  Point your anger at someone that can actually do something about this, is there job to do something about this, we have no control over this nonsense, otherwise we woulda taken the team from Snyder ourselves years ago.  You what its like defending you're "racist" team in the city they play, the area you grew up in?  I'm home and sometimes I feel like the enemy, so please, get off our case.

Well it sounds like we both agree that the showing was bad. If you were at the game, then you are not the group this thread is aimed at. If we had more fans like you, we would have a home field advantage. Which is the whole point of this thread. HTTR

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I like the Washington Admirals probably the most. Would be an extreme change in uniform design though. 

Actually, Admirals is not bad at actually. Probably my second fav after Warriors.

They could probably even match the color scheme with nats/caps/wiz too.

But unfortunately, I agree that could be a little too drastic to appease the die-hard-keep-things-the-way-they-are crowd.

1 minute ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Actually, Admirals is not bad at actually. Probably my second fav after Warriors.

But unfortunately, that could be a little too drastic to appease the die-hard keep things the way the are crowd.

I like it too because it's not taken by any professional team. The only semi-pro team that has Admirals as a name is the Milwaukee Admirals in the AHL, they're the Nashville Predators farm team. I'm a Preds fan so that's why Admirals came to mind and all the Washington teams besides the Wiz have some Patriotic name. Goes along well with the city. 

3 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

But unfortunately, I agree that could be a little too drastic to appease the die-hard-keep-things-the-way-they-are crowd.

This topic has its own thread in the tailgate.

#KeepTheName

1 minute ago, skins2victory said:

Well it sounds like we both agree that the showing was bad. If you were at the game, then you are not the group this thread is aimed at. If we had more fans like you, we would have a home field advantage. Which is the whole point of this thread. HTTR

And the point of my responses is even though I went, that doesn't make me a better fan then plenty I know didn't. I have a tattoo and jersey's, that's not a pass to tell anyone they aren't a die hard. I know plenty die-hards that couldn't, and tried to help you understand why it getting to this point shouldn't be an opportunity to call out other people from the area to do their part.  I'm seeing what's happening in my own turf with my own eyes, I don't need an interpretation or explanation, I'm living it and in all honesty, I'm fine with how that stadium looked as I know it got Snyder's attention (we're at that point now again, its very last days of Vinny feel to it when I was in there).

This team hasn't done theirs in 27 years, you are calling out the wrong people.  What is happening is we are losing the people that would be as loyal as we are if that loyalty was earned, its just not, we are cannibalizing each other while Snyder counts his money.  Affecting his money is only way to really get his attention to point of forcing a change, we should be talking protests if we keep losing, not challenging who loves the team more despite how terrible their play is. 

BTW, I boo and I cheer, its the only way to let them know how I really feel because I don't believe they look at the site like some of us believe they used to.

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I like it too because it's not taken by any professional team. The only semi-pro team that has Admirals as a name is the Milwaukee Admirals in the AHL, they're the Nashville Predators farm team. I'm a Preds fan so that's why Admirals came to mind and all the Washington teams besides the Wiz have some Patriotic name. Goes along well with the city. 

Norfolk Admirals are a minor league hockey team in Hampton Roads.  I think a color change would make me sick to my stomach, but that's just my opinion, not judging anyone that wants to do that, and will still go to the games if they do that. 

6 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

This topic has its own thread in the tailgate.

#KeepTheName

We might as well avoid the warning points in here on that one.

The booing was absolutely well deserved.

The stadium was half empty at kickoff. They ones who are in their seats were the die-hards. They are the ones who traveled, and paid more than what that ticket price is worth.

And they knew it too. So they booed them. And players on this team are upset?

Eagles fans have been known to be the assholes of the NFL and they've been booing a long time. Maybe that paid off for them. They hold their team accountable, no matter what.

Maybe we should start behaving like them.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I think that's probably where we should leave the name thing on in here, so mods don't get on us.  I think a rebrand is a fair discussion at this point, just not sure where.

Yeah I was even nervous after I posted it on here, but stick to topic and we should ok.

The stadium being “half full” has been going on at various points for decades. 

RFK had announced 40-45k attendance at various times in the early 80s and mid 90s. 

Team performance and weather were the seeming reasons. 

I had season tickets to Jack Kent Cooke Stadium from 97-01. I gave them up due to the near double in price jump for club tickets once my lease ended. 

I have been back only twice since. 2007 against Dallas and 2011 against the 49ers. 

So my experiences are likely dated. 

To me, the traffic issue did improve. It was awful in those early years. It took nearly an hour to go from my parking space to get on the beltway. That’s the reason for the exodus before the game ends. Nobody is interested in getting home at 7pm. 

I think felt that it improved but I have not been back, nor do I have any desire to, in 7 years. 

For me, I went to games to see the game. Call me crazy. I couldn’t care less about tailgating. I wanted to see my Redskins play in person. That’s it. 

What I quickly discovered was that it’s not so fun to spend money on club seats, endure rush hour level beltway delays and sit in a dead stadium to watch the Redskins lose. So I stopped. 

From my experience, fans are energized at the start and then apathy sets in as the team plays its mediocre brand of football. 

The Former JKC can be a real home field. I was there for our only playoff win and it was awesome. Great experience and it felt like what I always imagined what it must have felt like going to RFK during the playoff runs in the 80s and early 90s. But like RFK, you need a team to feed your energy. 

Being a fan elsewhere and “representing Redskins Nation” is easy in that you have “us against them” mentality. At least for me, I’m more likely to break out an old Redskins cap making a trip to Baltimore or Pennsylvania than going out shopping locally. So to me, seeing fans show up at opposing stadiums is no surprise. 

But what happened Sunday was new and different. That many empty seats at the home opener, after a win, is new. 

Fan apathy has hit a new low. I mean we have a 34 year old qb and 33 year old rb as our “stars” and they just got here. They are our “shiny toys”. 

Its tough to excited about Alex Smith when we have already seen failures from McNabb, Brunell and George. 

And memo to Bruce Allen, Larry Michael, that newbie they trotted out in preseason to tout all the changes at the stadium, and Little Danny, nobody cares about “party decks”, being able to get gouged by buying stuff using an app and new paint jobs if there is no belief in the organization. 

You want fans to buy tickets, make an investment in the team? Build an organization we can believe in. 

Save your money on party zones and pointless trips to the Bahamas and invest in getting a real football person leading this organization and it’s vision. 

Invest in building the best scouting department in the NFL. 

Invest in building the best training facility to attract free agents. 

Then hope will make a return and so will the silent majority of fans who simply don’t feel it’s worth it to go out and invest money and a full Sunday to see a poor team. 

If some one want to say that makes me or others a bad fan, whatever. Then that means the 15k that showed up to Pats games in the early 90s are the only real fans and the sellouts now are just bandwagon frauds. So be it. 

2 hours ago, scruffylookin said:

I have been back only twice since. 2007 against Dallas and 2011 against the 49ers. 

You mean after watching John Beck complete 14 passes to Roy Helu in that 2011 extravaganza, you didn't immediately call the ticket office and sign up for another club contract?

You're dead to me, Scruff ?

4 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Eagles fans have been known to be the assholes of the NFL and they've been booing a long time. Maybe that paid off for them. They hold their team accountable, no matter what.

Maybe we should start behaving like them.

I think the myth of the Skins hardcore fanbase really took a hit with that infamous 2008 game against Pittsburgh where Steelers fans invaded FedEx.  Yes, Pittsburgh is close to here and Steelers fans invade a lot of league stadiums, but this was a Redskins team that had made the playoffs in 2007 and was 6-2 heading into that game.  The Steelers had played Philly in Philly earlier that season and while there were likely more Steelers fans than usual opposing fans that day, I can almost promise that they didn't take over the Linc like they did FedEx.

Again, it costs money to go to these games, and I don't necessarily blame people for not wanting to go......I just agree with the OP that 57K on opening day when you started the season 1-0 is a bad look.  And when some folks in other threads say that they turned off the TV halfway through the game or didn't even watch out of disgust, etc......yes, I think you can question what kind of a fan they are, especially this early in the season. 

It has less to do with the fans,  more to do with how the front office changed its business practices.   Instead of dumping all of the unsold tickets on the secondary market,  they're now selling them directly.   And because they're the same entity telling STHs what a great value they got,  they couldn't discount the tickets to move them.   

They easily could've kept the sellout streak going if they didn't reduce the secondary market.   But it was unethical to tell people you have a huge waiting list,  while you're selling thousands of tickets to the secondary market every week.   

Archived