Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

47 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Again, it costs money to go to these games, and I don't necessarily blame people for not wanting to go......I just agree with the OP that 57K on opening day when you started the season 1-0 is a bad look.  And when some folks in other threads say that they turned off the TV halfway through the game or didn't even watch out of disgust, etc......yes, I think you can question what kind of a fan they are, especially this early in the season. 

I read the TV ratings for the game were low, too.  I admit though I don't know what good numbers are from bad numbers on that front.  If so, I gather they can't use its just the stadium experience that's turning fans off. 

20,000 or so empty seats and a poor 17.8 local tv rating for a 1-0 home opener.

10 hours ago, hail2skins said:

But in defense of the OP.....whatever happened to "hope springs eternal?" Yes, the    Skins performance over the past 25 years speaks for itself, but shouldn't the fans go into each new season with some optimism and the hope that maybe this year we'll be pleasantly surprised? Instead, we are at a mindset where we've started to give up before these seasons even begin.

Hope doesn't spring eternal in sports.  It springs for 15, 18 years.  Then it starts to fade.  After 25 years, hope is a distant memory.

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I read the TV ratings for the game were low, too.  I admit though I don't know what good numbers are from bad numbers on that front.  If so, I gather they can't use its just the stadium experience that's turning fans off.

Yeah, I think Steinberg said the ratings in the DC market for our game (17.8) were just above the SNF game between the Cowboys and Giants.  Apparently the game did a 26-27 rating in Indianapolis.

8 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

It's why I think the only way to fix this franchise is basically a code-red.

Dangerous to say around these parts and I'm sure it's a very unpopular opinion on these boards, but we need to burn it all to the ground and start over.

I'm thinking like an Oilers-to-Titans type identity change. People on here our gonna hate that idea, but it's basically the only way now, whether they like it or not. If any franchise is in dire need of a re-branding, it's this one.

Maybe then we will see fans trickling back.

I have thought about this too, although I’ll go a step farther and say maybe even leaving the area altogether.... become the San Antonio Saddles or something. That way all the currently disenfranchised fans would no longer have the burden. The team would be gone and they could either choose to be Saddles fans or pick another team or just quit the NFL altogether. Maybe start crossing their fingers to get a new DC team again someday. Honestly with local turnout as we see it, I wonder if DC would honestly really care (as a whole not the die hards of course) if the Redskins just went away altogether? Might be the best solution at this point. DC lost the Senators and eventually got the Nats. Same principle here. 

Obviously this is all just mindless chatter because for all his ills I don’t think anyone has ever accused Snyder of not being loyal to the area or the Redskins brand. But I’m serious when I say I’d be fine with them just up and leaving— it would give everyone a chance at a fresh start. 

12 hours ago, awd_sr said:

Theres are alot of factors for the issue, the ones that stand out the most to me:

- The stadium is too big for a lackluster team. Since this 90K seat stadium was built, the team has been one of the worst in the league in terms of success. Danny Boy wanted to have the biggest stadium, and started off his tenure focused more on that dollar bill than the W/L record. RFK's capacity was alot less, but those fans that were fortunate enough to get up in there saw a perennial playoff team.

Not taking up for DS here but lets be clear. FedEx field was built in Landover by JKC as a result of an impasse in negotiations with the District of Columbia and the National Park Service. A deal was in place for JKC to build a new stadium which would be on the RFK essentially next door (like Three Rivers / Hienz Field) As the NPS and DoC both had a seat at the table for these negotiations they mandated that JKC only select "preferred contractors" from a list that they created. Remember too that JKC was handling the lions share of the funding for a new stadium, they could not come to terms and as a result you got the giant concrete middle finger out in Landover. 

If memory serves me correct DS did add an additional 5000 seats in his first year of ownership. I have been a season ticket holder since that time and have only witnessed a precipitous decline in everything related to the stadium, team, fan experience, and overall morale of the fan base. It sucks, Dan sucks, and our fanbase has been beaten into submission. Too bad we cant have a sliding scale for ticket prices based on the teams performance at this point they would be paying us to attend games. 

12 hours ago, skins2victory said:

Lots of excesses. For me its either be a fan or don't. Don't claim to be a fan and represent Redskins Nation poorly. If you have an account on Extremeskins, then you probably claim to be a die hard. So these lame excuses are coming from our die hard fans? Very sad. Scared of a little rain? Oh wait it didn't rain. Don't want to pay? That's cute, games aren't free. A true fan represents win, lose, or draw. Remember that pathetic turn out was when we were 1-0. Yeah that game really sucked to loose. But the very next day I bought my tickets to the Thanksgiving game in Dallas. Again that stadium turn out was embarrassing. The local "FANS" need to be better fans. HTTR

1. Is English your first language?

2. Why don't you just send Snyder a money order for, say, $300 since apparently it's a fan's moral obligation to support this **** organization no matter they do.

7 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

If memory serves me correct DS did add an additional 5000 seats in his first year of ownership.

The capacity of the stadium varied from 78-80K, depending on what source you were reading. Dan did add some seats early on, but I think the biggest addition came around 2004 when he added the 6000-8000 seat cave section behind the 200 level on the visitors side, as well as the ~1000 dream seats which ring the field and recreated the RFK problem where everyone in the 100s have to stand. That pushed the capacity up to the 90K before they started removing seats.

10 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Interesting notion put forth on Kornheiser podcast. If they were 14-2 that place would be packed. People just don't want to go to the stadium to see an 8-8 team or see a team flame out that was playing a 5 point underdog. 

By and large, I think professional sports are becoming simply another entertainment option. And it's probably a good thing. In 40 years, people will probably wonder why anyone invested so much of their personality in a pro sports team.

Anyway, I have symphony tickets on Sunday. Seriously.

Don't tell me who wins.

7 hours ago, skins2victory said:

Well it sounds like we both agree that the showing was bad. If you were at the game, then you are not the group this thread is aimed at. If we had more fans like you, we would have a home field advantage. Which is the whole point of this thread. HTTR

You know what really gives a team a home field advantage?

Good players.

I know....it's a crazy notion.

The Browns are probably the most loyal fan base in the league. And you know the QB with the most wins in Cleveland since the team came back into the league?

Ben Roethlisberger.

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

By and large, I think professional sports are becoming simply another entertainment option. And it's probably a good thing. In 40 years, people will probably wonder why anyone invested so much of their personality in a pro sports team.

Anyway, I have symphony tickets on Sunday. Seriously.

Don't tell me who wins.

With all the garbage for 25 years there is still nothing I’d rather do and spend my money on than pro sports... I’m a season ticket holder for the Thunder and I’m also a big Reds fan (even worse than rooting for the Redskins), and of course you know my Redskins fandom. I’ll be expecting the crotch kick on Sunday, but I’ll still be jazzed up Saturday night and anticipating the next day. For me, that routine is personal and special— been doing it since I was a kid and I simply refuse to allow the Redskins to ruin it for me. I don’t blame those who have bailed or scaled back, but I’m glad it hasn’t affected me in a similar way. I’d would be an empty feeling to me if I suddenly cared less about the Redskins. 

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

I don’t blame those who have bailed or scaled back, but I’m glad it hasn’t affected me in a similar way. I’d would be an empty feeling to me if I suddenly cared less about the Redskins. 

Moving out of area and having kids changed things for me. Weekends in the fall in Texas are also like the getting out of jail. It's 100 degrees into mid-September. In October, you can suddenly start doing things outside again.

Once you start not caring as much, you realize how much time, energy, and money you've wasted on something that really doesn't improve your life that much.

I still watch games - probably 10 a year. But I don't build my life around them any longer. And it feels good and healthy.

Next week, I have symphony tickets for Sunday. The week after that, I have tickets for Les Mis. I'd rather my kids experience that than seeing their dad swear at a tv for four hours.

I was pretty bummed when I was watching the game and saw all the empty seats.  I think no one would dispute that a stadium full of rowdy fans is an advantage for the home team, and id like the skins to get every advantage they can. They need it

But after the game I realized, this is a win win scenario. We know that if the skins start winning, attendance will pick up.  Great, problem solved.  We also know if they keep losing, the stadium will stay empty, and that will infuriate Snyder to the point where changes will have to be made.  

Me personally, if the skins go 7-9, I hope the skins don't clean house.  I like jay and I think the front office has done a good job of adding young talent (not a popular opinion this week, I get it). But if they have a lot of performances like week 2, and they stumble to a 4-12 record, then I can't sit and wait for jay to turn this corner we have been waiting for, and I hope they clean house and bring in a new GM to bring in his own coach.  If seats remain empty and Snyder hears the complaints regarding frustration with Allen, especially if cousins and the the Vikings do well, the empty seats may be the driving force we need to get this franchise on a better path.  A win win situation.

Now whether Snyder actually decides to clean house, and if he then makes a good GM hire following that is a whole nother ball of wax unfortunately...

8 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Moving out of area and having kids changed things for me. Weekends in the fall in Texas are also like the getting out of jail. It's 100 degrees into mid-September. In October, you can suddenly start doing things outside again.

Once you start not caring as much, you realize how much time, energy, and money you've wasted on something that really doesn't improve your life that much.

I still watch games - probably 10 a year. But I don't build my life around them any longer. And it feels good and healthy.

Next week, I have symphony tickets for Sunday. The week after that, I have tickets for Les Mis. I'd rather my kids experience that than seeing their dad swear at a tv for four hours.

I used to be the same way having to watch every game no matter what but I'm closer to where you're at now.

Last Sunday I didn't get home from a motorcycle rally until 230 and flipped the DVR on then and this Sunday I have an all day music festival and I'll probably scan the game on my cell phone.

Odds are the same thing will happen that happens all the time, we'll be down by two touchdowns fast and I'll say to myself "see now I'm glad I didn't waste my whole day for this" then I'll shut my phone off.

It really has gotten to the point where I'd rather find something that brings me joy instead.

Lifes too short to spend every Sunday angry at an inanimate object mounted to my living room wall.

54 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

If memory serves me correct DS did add an additional 5000 seats in his first year of ownership. I have been a season ticket holder since that time and have only witnessed a precipitous decline in everything related to the stadium, team, fan experience, and overall morale of the fan base. It sucks, Dan sucks, and our fanbase has been beaten into submission. Too bad we cant have a sliding scale for ticket prices based on the teams performance at this point they would be paying us to attend games. 

And this is why every fan has a right to boo Snyder's on field product and boycott the games if they want to.  When the skins have been a playoff team, and the stadium is packed, Snyder loves to price gouge and do anything and everything that benefits him.  So when the team stinks, fans have the right to make him feel the pain.  It's a two way street.  Maybe if Snyder had shown a little more respect, then he would've earned a little more respect, and fans would continue to go show their support thru tough times.  I don't blame fans for not feeling they owe it to Snyder to do that.

15 hours ago, skins2victory said:

I am an out of state fan. I live in Washington state. Some of the local D.C. area fans might not understand how big the out of state fan base is, but it is probably much bigger than a lot of you would think. Look no further than the Redskin Rallies held the night before at the away games, Redskins nation represents! When the Skins head west to play Seattle, dang right you will find me there wearing the colors proudly. That stadium is always full of burgundy. Week 1 in Arizona, at least on TV it looked like the Skins were well represented. Week 2, our HOME OPENER............  What the heck local fans. Ya'll deserve to be called out. I was embarrassed to see our stadium half empty. The players were even talking about how bad it was. WE NEED OUR HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.  Following the game there were joke memes made from pictures of our stadium, redskins fans were literally portrayed as a joke. Again, total embarrassment to Redskins Nation. I hope ya'll decide to represent our team better in the weeks to come. HTTR!

Hello guy,

Just wanted to say I created this account specifically to respond to BS like this. I haven't posted on ES since 2010.

You must live in some kind of crazy bubble if you think spending the kind of money that's required to attend a Skins game isn't a big deal to the vast majority of people and families. I'm glad that you have the kind of income where you would consider throwing $300-$400 at Dan Snyder per game without a second thought.

For those of us who live in the real world, that money, and maybe more importantly that time (since it takes an entire Sunday from sun up to sun down to make it out to FedEx Field) is vital. Chores must be done. Groceries have to be bought. Check books have to be balanced. Pennies looked after since there aren't many to go around.

Me? You couldn't *pay me* to be in that stadium on gameday. The opportunity cost of my own time far outweighs even free tickets. I'm so sick of this organization at every level. I've watched the Skins suck pretty much every season *my entire life*. The team culture we all think about when we think of the Skins hasn't existed for a long time. Dan Snyder just gets richer and richer. Maybe, *maybe* something drastic will change because of all these empty seats and we'll get some people with character and grit in to run this organization, from the front office to the field.

So, here's what I would suggest you do about this problem you see: buy a plane ticket and get your own butt in the stands. Otherwise, leave the working people of DC alone.

We go to every home game, win, lose, or draw.

I hate that people don't show up, but there's nothing that I can do about it, so I don't lose sleep over it.

What is annoying, is the people who say that STH's are "stupid for buying tickets" and we "are part of the problem" and should "show Snyder by not showing up"   "I watch it from my 90" HDTV because the food is good, the beer is cheap, the bathroom is clean and I can jerk off from the comfort of my couch"  You know what?  Bully for you. That's great, enjoy the game as you see fit, but don't presume to preach to me about my choice of venue for watching the Redskins.

Go **** yourselves. We can afford it, and it's what we choose to do.   

We always win the tailgate!

FB_IMG_1512590762287.jpg

9 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I like the Washington Admirals probably the most. Would be an extreme change in uniform design though. 

How about the Washington Generals?  You know, to show the general level of apathy and disinterest fans have for Snyder? 

Plus the Washington Generals have a long proud history of failing epically, and being punching bags for more talented teams

Related imageImage result for krusty globetrotter gif

9 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We go to every home game, win, lose, or draw.

I hate that people don't show up, but there's nothing that I can do about it, so I don't lose sleep over it.

What is annoying, is the people who say that STH's are "stupid for buying tickets" and we "are part of the problem" and should "show Snyder by not showing up"   "I watch it from my 90" HDTV because the food is good, the beer is cheap, the bathroom is clean and I can jerk off from the comfort of my couch"  You know what?  Bully for you. That's great, enjoy the game as you see fit, but don't presume to preach to me about my choice of venue for watching the Redskins.

Go **** yourselves. We can afford it, and it's what we choose to do.   

We always win the tailgate!

If you get enjoyment out of it, it's money well spent. I don't think people should be shamed for doing things they love that don't hurt anyone else.

But conversely, people shouldn't be shamed for either not being able to afford attending games or choosing not to go because they see no value in it.

To each their own. I just hope this trainwreck of a season leads to some actual change, the kind of change this organization sorely needs and has needed for decades.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I used to be the same way having to watch every game no matter what but I'm closer to where you're at now.

Last Sunday I didn't get home from a motorcycle rally until 230 and flipped the DVR on then and this Sunday I have an all day music festival and I'll probably scan the game on my cell phone.

Odds are the same thing will happen that happens all the time, we'll be down by two touchdowns fast and I'll say to myself "see now I'm glad I didn't waste my whole day for this" then I'll shut my phone off.

It really has gotten to the point where I'd rather find something that brings me joy instead.

Lifes too short to spend every Sunday angry at an inanimate object mounted to my living room wall.

YA..I was a FANATIC for along time( 1972 to Gibbs 2.0). My fondest memory was when The Skins beat the hell outa the Rams on Monday night football. It was Nov 21, opening day of deer season. I was camping on top of a mountain in George Washington National Forest. I drove my Jeep up an old logging trail for 4 hours to the top and setup camp that Saturday. Had my best friends with me. We hunted that morning and I got back to camp and setup an old 13" Black and White TV battery operated (DC ) Had a backup car battery to make sure I had enough power..had a HELL of a time getting reception..hung wire to the antenna  and trees and finally got a grainy picture. Watched that game outside in 30degree temps till after midnight...had to get out at 5AM to get to my hunting spot. My yells were echoing in the mountain valleys with each score...

That's my best memory (including Miami Super Bowl w/ Riggins). Used to be central to my weekends. I really miss that feeling...but like most I've accepted this franchise is a Ghost of the past and have replaced them with other activities (nowhere near the passion of the Old Skins ere but sure beats watching this team under achieve year after year.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/11/21/sports/redskins-trounce-rams.html

12 minutes ago, HailSkins90 said:

. I just hope this trainwreck of a season leads to some actual change, the kind of change this organization sorely needs and has needed for decades.

1 - 1 and some of our fans are already writing this season off as a trainwreck.

" A change " doesn't guarantee anything better.

Archived