Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

The attendance at the Colts game was embarrassing and I expect that turnouts will be better in games against our divisional opponents and the Packers.

However, if the Browns, a team that has won a total of four games in the past three seasons, somehow manage to overall outdraw the Skins in a stadium that has less capacity (theirs has 67K...….I'll give us 75K)…….wow!

I wish our offense tried a little trickery every now and then.

Its not just a gimmick to wake up the crowd (which it does). Gimmicks work.  Life as a sports fan is not all about getting hit by swinging gates. We need a Browns fan to post in here like the Green Bay guy.

I wish our offense tried a little trickery every now and then.

Its not just a gimmick to wake up the crowd (which it does). Gimmicks work.  Life as a sports fan is not all about getting hit by swinging gates. We need a Browns fan to post in here like the Green Bay guy.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

Browns fans cheer extra points louder than we do our TDs.

Maybe its because there is not an empty seat to be seen.

Snyder has done so much damage to the fanbase.  Nobody likes the redskins anymore in dc

Sell the team you ****ing asshole

22 minutes ago, zoony said:

Hope Snyder is watching that MNF crowd in cleveland, and realizing what a loser he truly is.

They have a real GM. A young QB. Fans there have something to get excited about and that's before Baker's performance tonight. At the same time, they are running ads about Kirk Cousins Vikings playing next Thursday night. So I doubt Dan is enjoying tonight. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They have a real GM. A young QB. Fans there have something to get excited about and that's before Baker's performance tonight. At the same time, they are running ads about Kirk Cousins Vikings playing next Thursday night. So I doubt Dan is enjoying tonight. 

They have an organization that is loved by their fans.  Snyder has created a giant turd that nobody wants to be around because it smells so bad

Cleveland did all the right things.  Hired a FO, stockpiled picks, drafted well.  Got a young badass qb to build with for the next 15 years.  They still have a ton of cap room.  Watch what they do this offseason

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

A team that won 1 game in 2 years "hopeful about future" ?

Might I remind you that we had 2 pretty good offseasons in the last two years. Drafting Allen, Payne, and Guice. But now we're supposed to cower in fear of the Browns? Yeah. I mean I saw that narrative about the Browns having a bright future somewhere else; I ain't buy it. We continue having good drafts, we'll have a good future too...

Those guys have proven nothing yet... absolutely nothing in the league. Jonathan Allen has 1 sack on his resume. 

@zoony Browns reincarnation was same year as Snyder arrived in DC. They’ve been one of the few organizations worse than the Redskins over that time. One playoff appearance and one of the wors tand most embarrassing string of seasons in history. They have also had off field issues and FO follies. Yes, tonight things look good. It is their first win in 635 days and they look like maybe there is some legitimate hope. But the truth is Browns fans are just way better than Redskins fans. There is simply no debate about that. It is an incredible fan base. 

17 minutes ago, kleese said:

But the truth is Browns fans are just way better than Redskins fans. There is simply no debate about that. It is an incredible fan base. 

Are they better than the Redskins fans Snyder inherited? I don’t know that’s true. They surely are now but that’s becuse Snyder and this franchise have been far worse than just bad on the field. All the goodwill, excitement and “care” is gone from the fanbase at this point 

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

A team that won 1 game in 2 years "hopeful about future" ?

Might I remind you that we had 2 pretty good offseasons in the last two years. Drafting Allen, Payne, and Guice. But now we're supposed to cower in fear of the Browns? Yeah. I mean I saw that narrative about the Browns having a bright future somewhere else; I ain't buy it. We continue having good drafts, we'll have a good future too...

They’re better than us now and they have a brighter future than we do based on their team right now, their front office and org structure, picks and cap space etc 

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Are they better than the Redskins fans Snyder inherited? I don’t know that’s true. They surely are now but that’s becuse Snyder and this franchise has been far worse than just bad on the field. All the goodwill, excitement and “care” is gone from the fanbase at this point 

Browns have also been bad off the field too man. You can’t be THAT bad on the field while simulatenously pleasing the fans off the field. Browns fans aren’t like “you know we are 1-31 the last two years, but man this is an affordable hot dog.”

Looks like those Cleveland Stubhub prices might have gone up a bit since last night.....cheapest now for their game against the Ravens in two weeks is $55 without fees.

The cheapest two tickets for the Ravens at Browns game on Oct 7 will set you back roughly $140 on the secondary market right now.

The cheapest two tickets for the Panthers at Skins game on Oct 14 will set you back roughly $200 if you bought then now.

Season ticket wise, the cheapest ticket the Skins seem to have is $640 plus tax.  The cheapest ticket the Browns have is $310 (plus tax, I'm assuming). I think the Browns also have PSL though, too. 

I guess people keep forgetting when comparing cleveland's stadium to washington's:

1. snyderallengruden sucks together

2. team is in MD and not in the city

3. there are way too many things to do that compete with going to overpriced games in MD

4. the city is too transient and international to look like cleveland

5. there isn't much else to do in cleveland

6. allengrudensnyder sucks together

7. the beer is probably better there...they have to have some form of happiness

8. they aren't that far from canton, oh and football is a staple

9. they are lovable losers

10. grudensnyderallen sucks together

I can see a point on pricing, but a season ticket holder doesn't not buy season tickets based on the outcome of a small sample size of games or the comings and goings of a handful of players each year.

Winning against Green Bay on Sunday won't magically fill the seats in the coming weeks. Winning the super bowl this year wouldn't sell it out for next season. You have to cultivate another generation of fans. This is now a long term project which starts by protecting the home field experience. That primarily starts by keeping as many opposing team fans as possible out of the stadium. You can't walk through a sea of celebrating Giants fans on your way back to your car. You just can't have that and expect to cultivate another generation of season ticket holders - that is, a fan who not only follows the team but invest copious amounts of time and money to watch the team in person. 

The next step would be to make the tradition affordable to a wider audience, but again, if you're not coming to every game, if you're re-selling your tickets, then you're not the kind of season ticket holder the Redskins want/need.

Because of how the revenue sharing works, I'd do that with the ticket package pricing. But the way the economics seem to work in Atlanta and Baltimore, I'd also change my concession strategy. 

We need to have a sense of community in the stands. When Bill starts complaining again you can call him out. Tell him his grousing is bring you down and taking all the fun out of it. Then next week maybe he's cheers for a touchdown.

3 hours ago, turtle2328 said:

Secondary ticket prices were a topic earlier in this thread. I started a topic to track it this season.

It's good to see others were tracking the prices, I was doing that the last 3 years and it's good to have a community keeping an eye on how the market fares. Be interesting to see if prices dip come game time. I know for one that the Ravens game is 36-ish dollars, and that's against a 2-0 team. 

Its not that were the worst team in the league or even the worst run organization, but in an area like ours, if you don't have some sort of sustained winning over a freaking GENERATION, the fanbase will grow apathetic.

People forget, the Pats were an awful organization in the 80s/early 90s and nobody showed up to the games. Even the Vet in Philly wasn't selling much and their games were being blacked out when the Eagles were in the terrible pre Andy Reid years.

15 hours ago, kleese said:

@zoony Browns reincarnation was same year as Snyder arrived in DC. They’ve been one of the few organizations worse than the Redskins over that time. One playoff appearance and one of the wors tand most embarrassing string of seasons in history. They have also had off field issues and FO follies. Yes, tonight things look good. It is their first win in 635 days and they look like maybe there is some legitimate hope. But the truth is Browns fans are just way better than Redskins fans. There is simply no debate about that. It is an incredible fan base. 

It wasn't always this way.

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

People forget, the Pats were an awful organization in the 80s/early 90s and nobody showed up to the games. Even the Vet in Philly wasn't selling much and their games were being blacked out when the Eagles were in the terrible pre Andy Reid years.

Both examples you provide were the result of ownership changes.

That's why we all say nothing will change here until Snyder sells.

I said it all week leading up to week 2, culture change game for Skins. 

They couldn't lose. If they lost to the Colts, at home, than it's just the same old Skins. Not only did they lose, they were epic Skins.

Fact is, if they had won in same fashion as they did in Az, you might see damn near sell out numbers this week IMO with Rodgers coming to town.

Unfortunately, that loss was more than just a simple loss. I think it sunk the entire A. Smith/Gruden era for however long that will be. Further, I think you're gonna be able to count the Redskins fans on your hands and feet this week

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its not that were the worst team in the league or even the worst run organization, but in an area like ours, if you don't have some sort of sustained winning over a freaking GENERATION, the fanbase will grow apathetic.

It's essentially this.  If you don't win consistently for an entire generation, you lose that generation.  It might be morbid, but you also have an entire generation of hard-core fans who pass away, and they aren't replaced because of the suck.  You also have folks in my generation, I'm 42, who were young during the glory years, but have now gone the majority of our lives with the suck, and we're starting to just go, "eh, whatever."

The solution is actually really simple: you've got to win 10 or more games 2 or 3 years in a row, and do something in the playoffs to convince people that you're a contender.  As much as caps fans (and I'm one) complained about the early post-season exists, that arena was always full, and every year people had reason to believe.  They kept knocking on the door, they didn't lose fans, and eventually they kicked the MFer down. 

The Redskins problem is they don't even approach the door.  And they embarrass themselves in the process.

They need to win.  Consistently.  Back to Back playoff seasons.  Win a game in the playoffs.  If you give them reason, they'll come back. 

I just don't think that this organization has any idea how to accomplish that.  They have the wrong President and wrong HC to pull it off.

Archived