Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

20 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Sorry if you've had bad experiences with the traffic here. That has not been my experience at all.....I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a serious hassle getting out of FedEx, and I've been to well over 100 games there since the place opened. 

I can't tell - is this sarcasm?

Getting home from a game at FedEx is a ****ing nightmare.  The last game I went to was in like 2011 and used to go to 1-2 games a year since like 2006 or so, and after our first few games we decided to stay and fire up the grill afterwards because trying to leave after the game was a god damn nightmare getting to 495 and then sitting in traffic on 495.

I've been to a couple Ravens games and leaving the stadium there is fantastic.  There are so many ways out and you may hit some traffic right in the city, but its like 5-10 minutes max, then you're on 95 flying south with no traffic.

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I can't tell - is this sarcasm?

Purbeast, I usually sit in the club level at FedEx, and normally have orange lot parking. My mother takes the train from Philly in on game day. For 1 pm games, we leave at the very end of the game. I drop her off at New Carrollton, usually no later than 5 pm (often times earlier). I then get back on 50 West, to 295 South to 395 South, and back to Woodbridge, where I arrive normally no later than 6 pm.  

I don't consider that to be onerous. I'm sorry, but the supposed rules of it requiring 2+ hours to get out of the stadium that I hear spewed on sports talk radio somehow don't apply to me. 

I’ve been to about 10-13 games at FedEx field, Sunday was the first time I’ve ever sat at Club level. This is a very Vague question but what do other stadiums offer that are superior to Fedexs club level section? I might get some grief for this but I thought it was a pretty cool experience (other than all the Eagles fans and us sucking) and I was pleased with the cleanliness and how nice it was in there. The Staff was cool and fans in my section were very nice. I’d still rather spend my money at Capital one arena, Capitals games are a way better experince as I’ve been to more hockey games as of lately, but that’s a whole other conversation. 

36 minutes ago, max21 said:

I’ve been to about 10-13 games at FedEx field, Sunday was the first time I’ve ever sat at Club level. This is a very Vague question but what do other stadiums offer that are superior to Fedexs club level section? I might get some grief for this but I thought it was a pretty cool experience (other than all the Eagles fans and us sucking) and I was pleased with the cleanliness and how nice it was in there. 

I've only been on the club levels at two other NFL stadiums, the Eagles stadium and the new Giants stadium.  I think what distinguished those two for me was the presence of a few more upscale and specialized dining in those areas than there are at FedEx. The FedEx club level just seems limited to the same concessions you see on the main levels.  I will say this aspect at the Linc appears a bit less impressive than it was when their stadium first opened in 2002 (I've been to the Linc multiple times). I only went to MetLife stadium once, in 2016, and aside from the more upscale food options, they also had baskets at the doors leading from the concourse to the seating bowl where you could grab free snacks, like chips and cookies. I thought that was a nice touch.

I think one of the problems with FedEx's club level was its size. Other stadiums in the league with the "mezzanine" level clubs were no more than like 10,000 seats in size. FedEx's was over 15,000, and then you added the dream seats and tailgate/touchdown clubs (when they existed), both of which gave club level entry priviledges. As a result, you had a lot of crowds up there, making it difficult to navigate the concourse if you wanted to at, say, halftime. 

But of course that is probably not as much of an issue now. I didn't go to the game on Sunday, but to me it looked like the club seating level was pretty full, the only game this season besides Dallas where that's been the case. I would look at certain club level sections on Stubhub before games this season and there'd be like 10 seats total available, then come gameday there'd be hundreds of seats empty in the section. I don't even think the Skins are even bothering trying to sell them on a single-game basis, at least not this past season. 

But from a value perspective, compared to the prices you see on Stubhub for the upper and lower levels, the club level is pretty good. The problem this season was that (I think) not as many tickets were available on Stubhub, and thus the club level was fairly empty for all but two games. Which leads to a crappy crowd energy level, which defeats the purpose of going to a live sporting event. 

@hail2skins I will take your word for it, usually my Fedex field experience is an upper level section with about 6 or so friends with us tailgating and BSing prior to the game. The Upper level is what it is, you get what you spend not the nicest experience but I just like to wear my jersey and watch at least one to two games a year and make a DC weekend out of it. I sat Club level this prior game because we were able to find 7 reasonably priced seats and everyone agreed to spend a bit more money. Reading some posts on this forum Fedex field is a terrible stadium experience so I guess my expectations were a bit exceeded, I thought it was pretty cool in there. I think next year I’m going to try and attend one away game, preferably Carolina since that’s not too far. 

The thread has kinda moved past this but...

Eagles fans were 10db louder than us. I mic'd them at about 98 vs. our 88. That puts us quieter than than the stadium music. It also means the Redskins had to at least speak loudly to hear in the huddle. 

I have to learn more about the LaFamina thing. I'm shocked he's out so quickly.

I hope a reporter asks Bruce or Dan if they plan on eliminating all halftime shows indefinitely going forward, and why they did it.

Also, ask if they plan on raising ticket prices, raising food and drink prices, and parking prices... just ask if they plan on screwing us fans in every way imaginable. Basically dig into whether the banning of halftime shows is the beginning of a new era of screwing the fans, especially knowing half are going to be out of towners for most all our games next year. 

Pick your poison as an owner, let your stadium be over run by out of town fans, or raise prices so much that no fans want to come at all.   I think its better as a Skins fan to see an empty Fedex vs one that is all out of towners, padding pockets further.  Make no mistake though, Dan is getting paid if tickets are sold, or not.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:55 AM, Renegade7 said:

If any lesson we learned from yesterday is that if we dont buy the seats, the other team will.  Dan gets paid regardless, need a new strategy. 

The team sold out 0 games the entire year and probably didn't have 60k at most of the games.

The actual fact is that nobody was going to buy your seat, or any of the other 20k to 30k, if you didn't buy it.

Didn't you see all of the empty seats? 

If there are 2 more empty what tells you that Eagles fans would have chosen those over any of the other 20k empty seats?

On 1/1/2019 at 6:55 AM, Renegade7 said:

On 12/31/2018 at 5:55 PM, Renegade7 said:

If any lesson we learned from yesterday is that if we dont buy the seats, the other team will.  Dan gets paid regardless, need a new strategy. Anyone fired yet?  So no, this season with that game being the culmination changed nothing.

I think this is worse than empty seats to Snyder. I get really annoyed when Cubs come to town and those assholes flood Nats park, but this is fine. I am totally fine with the humiliation galore on Snyder and Allen. So done with their arrogant stupidity. While other teams have had worse records over the last couple of years, the Redskins are the worst run team in the NFL, in DC, and one of the worst in pro sports.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think this is worse than empty seats to Snyder. I get really annoyed when Cubs come to town and those assholes flood Nats park, but this is fine. I am totally fine with the humiliation galore on Snyder and Allen. So done with their arrogant stupidity. While other teams have had worse records over the last couple of years, the Redskins are the worst run team in the NFL, in DC, and one of the worst in pro sports.

I would believe you if someone got fired.

7 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

The team sold out 0 games the entire year and probably didn't have 60k at most of the games.

The actual fact is that nobody was going to buy your seat, or any of the other 20k to 30k, if you didn't buy it.

Didn't you see all of the empty seats? 

If there are 2 more empty what tells you that Eagles fans would have chosen those over any of the other 20k empty seats?

Of course I saw it, I went to three of them.  Did you see how many of them that did show up weren't Redskins fans?  Eagles game was on average the attendance per game this year but completely dominated by the other fan base, that could end up being normal at the rate we are going.  Them deciding to double down means we'll see more seat tarped off before anything else. We are already planning to build a smaller stadium.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well, someone did. Just not the right one...

Fair.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

If they stick with Allen and Gruden, it's going to be worse next year and for the forseeable future.

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Did you see how many of them that did show up weren't Redskins fans?  Eagles game was on average the attendance per game this year but completely dominated by the other fan base, that could end up being normal at the rate we are going.  Them deciding to double down means we'll see more seat tarped off before anything else. We are already planning to build a smaller stadium.

Good.

I can see one pathway to success for Snyder. He could use a marketing tool Les Boulez used to use back in the day, though he’d have to go further than Polin did, i.e. sell the other team. “Come to Fedex Field to see the amazing Saquon Barkley break 300 yards rushing in a game. Free pizza for everyone if he does it in 10 carries or less! Kids under 10 get a free Giants gameday towel, so bring the whole family!”

3 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I can see one pathway to success for Snyder. He could use a marketing tool Les Boulez used to use back in the day, though he’d have to go further than Polin did, i.e. sell the other team. “Come to Fedex Field to see the amazing Saquon Barkley break 300 yards rushing in a game. Free pizza for everyone if he does it in 10 carries or less! Kids under 10 get a free Giants gameday towel, so bring the whole family!”

Don't give Dan any ideas...

On 1/1/2019 at 5:25 PM, purbeast said:

I've been to a couple Ravens games and leaving the stadium there is fantastic.  There are so many ways out and you may hit some traffic right in the city, but its like 5-10 minutes max, then you're on 95 flying south with no traffic.

Not to mention its very public transportation friendly (as is the Linc in Philly).

Seriously - how does accessibility not factor into these new stadium plans? These teams are in major, metropolitan areas. I know these team owners hate poor people the way I hate brussel sprouts but why would you put a stadium so far away from rail or bus stops like that? 

Archived