Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

7 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

1 - 1 and some of our fans are already writing this season off as a trainwreck.

" A change " doesn't guarantee anything better.

I'm definitely not writing this season off.

We're tied for first and have the number one ranked defense in the NFL, there's plenty you can look at and cultivate hope from.

I just think fans are tired of getting all excited only to be gutted by disappointment every year.

I really think most of what we are seeing is just coping mechanisms. 

Some guys just get so down on the team that they couldn't possibly let them down anymore while others just decide to use their time to pursue things that make them happier.

And of course there's the fans who will be ever optimistic no matter what the skins put on the field.

Everybody is different and handles it in their own way but I honestly believe this fanbase will always be a smoldering fire and we won't see it reignited until the skins are so far above 500 that they can coast into the playoffs.

When that glorious day comes (if ever) you'll see much less pessimism from the fanbase.

31 minutes ago, HailSkins90 said:

If you get enjoyment out of it, it's money well spent. I don't think people should be shamed for doing things they love that don't hurt anyone else.

But conversely, people shouldn't be shamed for either not being able to afford attending games or choosing not to go because they see no value in it.

To each their own. I just hope this trainwreck of a season leads to some actual change, the kind of change this organization sorely needs and has needed for decades.

Agreed.

The crowds reflect the team. If the crowd is pathetic, its probably because the team is pathetic. 

I’m not spending a dime on this team until I actually see progress and change and competence. If I didn’t have the gameday thread to laugh with during games, I doubt I’d even watch anymore. 

This franchise has beaten many of us down. There are healthier and more entertaining ways to spend your free time. That’s what I’ve realized as I’ve gotten older. Sure I loved the skins. They never loved me back, all I got back for my love was being **** on. I don’t need that anymore 

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Next week, I have symphony tickets for Sunday. The week after that, I have tickets for Les Mis. I'd rather my kids experience that than seeing their dad swear at a tv for four hours.

Speaking of Les Miserables... Could you Imagine a spoof of Master of the House with Dan Snyder as Thenardier and FedEx field the inn?

6 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Why would you spend that much for a nosebleed ticket ?  You could spend that much or less for club level or lower level.

I wouldn’t.  But that was the price through the team/Ticketmaster.

Im not sure as I didn’t check but I heard StubHub no longer has tix for dirt cheap leading up to kickoff as a result of this new strategy.

Are we also seeing the effects of many fans reacting to the NFL player protests? I know a ton of people who are simply boycotting the NFL. Maybe the DMV has a lot of people who hate Colin Kaepernick.

I know it can't be ALL because of this but it's got to be a big contributor, right? 

20 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

My dude, this isn't a train wreck based on a 1-1 start - this is a train wreck of a franchise with 25 years of baggage towed behind this 1-1 start.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Moving out of area and having kids changed things for me. Weekends in the fall in Texas are also like the getting out of jail. It's 100 degrees into mid-September. In October, you can suddenly start doing things outside again.

Once you start not caring as much, you realize how much time, energy, and money you've wasted on something that really doesn't improve your life that much.

I still watch games - probably 10 a year. But I don't build my life around them any longer. And it feels good and healthy.

Next week, I have symphony tickets for Sunday. The week after that, I have tickets for Les Mis. I'd rather my kids experience that than seeing their dad swear at a tv for four hours.

I've thought about this a lot over the years. I am married and have three kids (9, 6, and 2). Life has gotten way busier and I've debated whether it was "right" or a good use of my time to still block off Sundays/Monday nights, etc. in the fall for my Redskins "hobby." I've made a few modifications over the years-- the biggest one is in my physical reactions and demeanor. I used to be a total jerk when we'd lose and pout and be a complete baby. During games I'd throw stuff or make a general arse of myself. My attitude toward the whole ordeal was poor and if SOMETHING happened to conflict with it I would let everyone know I wasn't happy to be doing whatever it was we were doing. All jerk moves. As I "grew up" a tad (just a tad mind you) I started doing a better job with my reactions. I am more chill about it now and I don't go into a 48 hour hole if we lose. I still have my moments, but for the most part I act like a reasonable adult (or at least as reasonable as a die hard sports fan can be). Now the, the dark truth is INSIDE... I honestly still feel about the same. Just like I did when I was 12. I am thrilled when we win and upset when we lose. Makes the week ahead better/worse for sure. It's just that now, on the outside I comport myself much better. 

I also try to incorporate the kids into the festivities... I do my best to make it a fun thing with multiple TVs set up, food... we set up mini helmets for the match ups and make picks, etc. I have made a conscious effort for it NOT to be a situation where it's like we can't talk to Dad for 8 hours on Sundays. Now at the end of the day, I'm still definitely making life plans around the NFL/Redskins. There is no denying that. But I figure in the grand scheme it's 16 times per year max... in bad years I will check out earlier. In the rare good years we tack on a playoff game. One thing I really enjoyed in 2015-16 was that holiday Redskins football mattered. That was cool. On Christmas Eve 2016 I watched Redskins-Bears while putting together a Barbie Dream House with my Father in Law. Then we went to church and I snuck a few glimpses of the Bucs/Saints score on my phone to see if we'd get help from NOLA. Which of course, we did. This both makes me happy and embarrasses me a bit... on one hand I like that I still love it enough to be that giddy at age 40 over football results. The embarrassing part is that it's Christmas Even and my wind is wandering to Bucs/Saints. And everyone around me knows it-- even if I'm doing a slightly better job masking it. But I can tell you I was no less excited that week than back in the early 90's. The relative results have very little to do my enjoyment. The only time that happens is when we are officially playing meaningless games in a given year-- the last three games last year, I was very meh and checked out emotionally-- although I did watch, I didn't make specific plans around it and wouldn't have put up a fight if something had come up. 

Since 1990 when I first discovered something called a satellite dish I think it's fair to less I've missed less than one game per year on average. And when it comes to games that mattered (excluding late season games in really bad years) I am probably close to 100%. I also generally travel to at least one game per year and a sometimes 2-3 depending on how things go. Last year I took my daughter to NOLA and it was the greatest weekend. We had an amazing time. Friday and Sat we did all the historical NOLA stuff and Sunday was truly a great day--- albeit with a crushing outcome (she cried--got over it quickly though). No doubt the trip would have been fun and memorable and worthwhile even minus the game, but the fact that the Redskins game was sort of the central event is what tied it all together and probably took it to next level memory status. 

For me, it's a year-round thing. As mentioned, I'm also a big NBA and MLB fan and season ticket holder for the Thunder. Put it all together and it is a TON of time and money spent in stadiums, arenas, and in front of the couch. I've thought about it a lot as I've gotten older, but have come to accept it is who I am and what I love. In terms of a hobby, nothing else gives me anywhere close the level of enjoyment or excitement that following my teams does. I am also a big music fan and my wife and I went to see my favorite band (Dave Matthews Band) for a two night stand in Denver in August. I've seen them many times and it was an incredible time and we had a blast. I've followed that band about as closely as I follow the Skins. But the truth is if you told me Dave was performing for free in the park next to my house on Sunday, but I'd have to miss the Packers game-- I'd pass. Just the way it is. 

9 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Are we also seeing the effects of many fans reacting to the NFL player protests? I know a ton of people who are simply boycotting the NFL. Maybe the DMV has a lot of people who hate Colin Kaepernick.

I know it can't be ALL because of this but it's got to be a big contributor, right? 

I never thought of it but its certainly possible. 

Another thing to consider is what's already but talked about, the hurricane. 

What wasn't mentioned though is that for many years we have had slightly declining attendance overall but extremely declining attendance by Redskins fans that has been mostly picked up by visiting fans.

The combination of it being the colts and a hurricane in the forecast may have made it less likely for people to make travel plans or cancel them last minute. 

26 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

It does if it means Bruce and Dan kick rocks and hand it off to capable people, and it does if they finally get up to speed with 2019 standards of training facilities. If all the change does is once again blame the coaches and make scapegoats of them then you are right. It won't do a damn bit of good imo

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

According to who and by what measure? 

Yeah I get that you can analyze statistics six ways from Sunday I was just referring to the standard total yards allowed that was used forever to rank defenses.

I know it's a dinosaur model just saying if we're number one in anything there's at least a reason for hope.

9 minutes ago, kleese said:

Then we went to church and I snuck a few glimpses of the Bucs/Saints score on my phone to see if we'd get help from NOLA. Which of course, we did. This both makes me happy and embarrasses me a bit... on one hand I like that I still love it enough to be that giddy at age 40 over football results. The embarrassing part is that it's Christmas Even and my wind is wandering to Bucs/Saints. And everyone around me knows it-- even if I'm doing a slightly better job masking it.

20 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

Speaking of Les Miserables... Could you Imagine a spoof of Master of the House with Dan Snyder as Thenardier and FedEx field the inn?

Welcome, Bernard Shaw

Come to my suite

Sit with Tom Cruise

And DC's elite

Greenspan is here

Gibbs sits nearby

My seat's adjustable

As I'm a small fry

The rabble down below

Pays for this fine show

So we must pretend

To care how the game ends

Master of the Skins, in a special tie

Never let a cross-promotion pass me by

Harris Teeter meats, Hooters perky teats

Go to Johnny Rockets if you want fine eats

I'll put the name on garbage

If it offers a good price

Luckily Bruce Allen gets paid with Coors on ice

Owner of the Skins, fueling up the jet

Guzzling Crown Royal hasn't stopped me yet

Fly to Shanahan, offer him the team

Forgetting I hired Zorn probably was extreme

Now I'm sick of Mike, RGIII went bust

Gruden's fat brother is someone I can trust

He'll never question the roster. Happy just to have the job

Compared to Mike Brown, I'm teeny tiny visionary god

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The crowds reflect the team. If the crowd is pathetic, its probably because the team is pathetic. 

I’m not spending a dime on this team until I actually see progress and change and competence. If I didn’t have the gameday thread to laugh with during games, I doubt I’d even watch anymore. 

This franchise has beaten many of us down. There are healthier and more entertaining ways to spend your free time. That’s what I’ve realized as I’ve gotten older. Sure I loved the skins. They never loved me back, all I got back for my love was being **** on. I don’t need that anymore 

A few thoughts on this.... first of all, I think your general sentiment sums up how many feel. It's basically the "battered fan syndrome" thing-- how much can you give before you decide you don't get enough back? 

For me, for whatever reason, I never viewed my fandom as a two-way street. I have never felt "owed" anything by the Redskins. I've always felt it was my choice to partake in these weird obsessive fan thing and if I ever stop enjoying it, I should just quit it. For me, I almost wear the battered fan thing as a badge of honor. It's almost comical at this point. But if I look back at the past 25 years... man, I've had a lot of fun. So many good times going to games, getting excited for games, occasionally even winning one or having a brief moment where I think they are really good again. For example, in 1995 (long before Snyder arrived) we lost a game at Denver where Elway hit Rod Smith (I believe it was his first career catch) on a Hail Mary on the final play. I had just turned 18 and was at a sports bar with a good friend in Houston.... on the way out, I picked up a beer bottle and threw it-- directly into incoming traffic. Luckily, it missed the cars and no harm was done. What a moron to do that... I was so angry at that moment. But looking back, my buddy and I laugh about it now and it sort of just adds to the lore of these great stories. Bottom line, until Rod Smith caught the ball that day, I was having a GREAT, enjoyable day. 

The second part is this weird thing where I'm worried that if I back off that if we are ever really good again, it won't feel the same-- like I'll feel as if I didn't "earn" it. Like if you were a Red Sox fan and decided to finally just give up after the Aaaron Boone HR and not watch the 2004 season.... would it have felt as good come October when they finally got it done? So part of me just says I'll keep taking the nut kicks and then maybe someday before I die they will reach the pinnacle again and it will be like a full circle deal for me as a fan. 

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Master of the Skins, in a special tie

Never let a cross-promotion pass me by

Harris Teeter meats, Hooters perky teats

Go to Johnny Rockets if you want fine eats

I'll put the name on garbage

If it offers a good price

Luckily Bruce Allen gets paid with Coors on ice

Yes! Spot on, Sir!

Beautiful @hail2skins... good stuff right there. It's funny I'll slap on the jersey and the hat on Sundays and get ready to go to the back deck where I have the TVs set up and my wife will often pause and look me and I'll look at her. And it's sort of moment where she sighs and I kind of nod like "yeah, I know." 

13 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

Yes! Spot on, Sir!

I envision Scot McLoughlan as Madame Thernadier. But that needs some work.

I wanted one last chance to build a team

But Maker's Mark and Snyder ****ed up that dream

Owner of the Skins, trashed me in the press

I knew when Cousins would have signed for less

Taking to the scouts, fences on the mend

The reporter Russini was just a real good friend

Trying to stop day drinking.

But it isn't easy here

Jesus, Mary, Joseph I'm shocked they didn't tell the Post I was a queer.

All:

Master of the Skins, trash them out the door

Shanny is an asshole; Scotty a drunken whore

Didn't want McNabb; signed him anyway

Wylie kicked you in the balls since you were in the way

Still the team is worth a billion

Fanbase keeps us all well fed

Plus I'm only 50. I'll own the damn thing til your dead

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I envision Scot McLoughlan as Madame Thernadier. But that needs some work.

I wanted one last chance to build a team

But Maker's Mark and Snyder ****ed up that dream

Owner of the Skins, trashed me in the press

I knew when Cousins would have signed for less

Taking to the scouts, fences on the mend

The reporter Russini was just a real good friend

Trying to stop day drinking.

But it isn't easy here

Jesus, Mary, Joseph I'm shocked then didn't tell the Post I was a queer.

If Les Miserables doesn't describe the State of the fan base, nothing does. Drink With Me would be the song the fans sing at FedEx before Kickoff at this Sundays's game.

44 minutes ago, Chachie said:

In a word, no.  DC is almost entirely blue and places like NOVA are some of the most diverse and liberal in the country.  Basically this is the part of Virginia that keeps the state blue.

46 minutes ago, kleese said:

I've thought about this a lot over the years. I am married and have three kids (9, 6, and 2). Life has gotten way busier and I've debated whether it was "right" or a good use of my time to still block off Sundays/Monday nights, etc. in the fall for my Redskins "hobby." I've made a few modifications over the years-- the biggest one is in my physical reactions and demeanor. I used to be a total jerk when we'd lose and pout and be a complete baby. During games I'd throw stuff or make a general arse of myself. My attitude toward the whole ordeal was poor and if SOMETHING happened to conflict with it I would let everyone know I wasn't happy to be doing whatever it was we were doing. All jerk moves. As I "grew up" a tad (just a tad mind you) I started doing a better job with my reactions. I am more chill about it now and I don't go into a 48 hour hole if we lose. I still have my moments, but for the most part I act like a reasonable adult (or at least as reasonable as a die hard sports fan can be). Now the, the dark truth is INSIDE... I honestly still feel about the same. Just like I did when I was 12. I am thrilled when we win and upset when we lose. Makes the week ahead better/worse for sure. It's just that now, on the outside I comport myself much better. 

I also try to incorporate the kids into the festivities... I do my best to make it a fun thing with multiple TVs set up, food... we set up mini helmets for the match ups and make picks, etc. I have made a conscious effort for it NOT to be a situation where it's like we can't talk to Dad for 8 hours on Sundays. 

Great post.  I can relate to every single part of it.  I have 5 and 3 year old daughters and a 1 month old son.  I try to get my girls excited for the games by buying them a treat and telling them they can have it when we watch the Redskins.  That way they want to come down to the mancave and hang out for a bit.  I play hail to the Redskins when we score and they sing the parts they know.  I want to make it where watching the Redskins is a fun family event that everyone looks forward to and enjoys, instead of me running away and hiding to watch it (which is nice to watch games kid free every now and again).

And I definitely relate to frustration when people schedule things on Sundays in the fall.  My friends girlfriend scheduled his surprise birthday party for him at his house on Sunday afternoon.  All of the guys were furious bc we all don't root for the local team and we got stuck watching the national game haha. We were all "why don't people get it, don't plan anything on Sundays at 1 in the fall.  Is it that hard?!?"

My xmas story has nothing to do with the skins, but I was in the fantasy super bowl a couple years ago and was winning. My opponent had Le'Veon bell, and I was staring at my phone during the game. Then I got home in time for the 4th qtr and snuck downstairs to see the rest of the game, and bell went off.  I ended up losing by like 5 points and I think bell had about 20 in that last quarter alone. I was not happy, but I had to put my smile back on and continue enjoying Xmas day for my kids.  I'd feel like a loser if I was a mope on Xmas bc of football. 

I am trying to do a better job of doing other things on Sundays if stuff comes up. For example, a few families are doing apple picking / pumpkin patch a couple sundays from now. I don't want to be a no bc of the skins for the sake of my kids.  I am also doing a cancer walk the following Sunday.  I remind myself if I passed on all this other stuff going on, not only would I be shortchanging my kids, but I'd probably just be pissed off after watching 60 minutes of Redskins football anyway.

Just my 2 cents.  Thanks again for the post, good to know there are others in my boat. The struggle is real haha

I love the Redskins, always have and always will.  But the organization hasn't done much to warrant selling out FedEx Field.  If the team starts to consistently win, then I'm willing to bet the crowd will come back home.  But a sparse crowd has more to do with the product on the field then prices.  I'm also willing to bet if the team was winning consistently, many fans would deal with the prices of tickets, beer and parking to watch them live.  Most fans are frustrated by the false hopes and imagined talent.  In our version of the "Field of Dreams", if the Redskins build a consistent winner, the (fans) will come.  It was embarrassing but it shouldn't be surprising considering that we haven't done much.  

Archived