Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

On 10/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Bull****. Redskins fans at the stadium get mad if you cheer loud and dont know to shut up when our offense is out there. Its been 10 years since I've been to a game, but I doubt that's changed. 

Make up whatever excuse you want, but it doesn't change the fact it's a **** fanbase.

If you haven't been to a game in 10 years how are you so convinced about how Skins fans behave at them?!?

On 10/16/2018 at 5:27 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Saying DC is a better city with more to do is hysterical. Buffalo maybe, but Cleveland is pretty cool now. Philly and the Jets have way better cities and worse teams over the last 3 decades. Even the giants putting 1 win garbage teams out there and still get as many fans in our stadium. 

Philly and the Jets haven't had worse teams over the last three decades.    Philly has been much better.  Jets basically the same as the Redskins.  Wins from 1988-2017:    Redskins 218.    Eagles 273.   Jets 211.   

I'm upset at how bad the situation is now too, but unlike you I'm blaming the team's ownership and management rather than the fans.

22 minutes ago, Coach Janky Spanky said:

If you haven't been to a game in 10 years how are you so convinced about how Skins fans behave at them?!?

Philly and the Jets haven't had worse teams over the last three decades.    Philly has been much better.  Jets basically the same as the Redskins.  Wins from 1988-2017:    Redskins 218.    Eagles 273.   Jets 211.   

I'm upset at how bad the situation is now too, but unlike you I'm blaming the team's ownership and management rather than the fans.

Probably been 8 years since I left the states, but judging from what I read and hear on TV I doubt its changed.

I'm blaming plenty of things. I'm not excusing ownership. 

16 hours ago, FS#21 said:

Oh lol please.

At least use the Caps.

DCU fans EVAPORATED for a good 10 years before Rooney came along. Take it from me who use to go in the Golden years of 96-99. DCU fans came and went once they plummeted 2000 onwards with the little spurts of success they had while almost everyone in MLS passed them by.

The team has a great new stadium, they are winning, and they are about to make the playoffs, that's why the fans are showing up.

Rooney drawing fans would only last so long if they weren't winning, he's not Beckham or Zlatan when it comes to marketing.

19 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The team has a great new stadium, they are winning, and they are about to make the playoffs, that's why the fans are showing up.

Rooney drawing fans would only last so long if they weren't winning, he's not Beckham or Zlatan when it comes to marketing.

It's a pretty simple formula...same thing happened with the Caps about 10-12 years ago...they got good and people showed up. The Caps for 25 years had a small, loyal following before they became the toast of the town with the Rock the Red era. 

There was plenty of blue in the stadium but it was in-line with what the other teams have done. The row directly in front of me didn't have any Carolina fans in it, but did have 2 eagles fans and 2 giants fans. Let's count them as Carolina fans for this conversation. That still left about twice as many Redskins fans as opposing team fans. My sound pressure readings back it up. A point on that: While we're considerably louder than Carolina fans, we're not loud enough. Example:

Washington Ball 3rd and 7 1:17 remaining in the 2nd. We'll call it 83Db.

Carolina ball 3rd and 11 9:45 remaining, we hit about 103 but let's call it a sustained 95Db.

If we fill that stadium I fully expect to sustain 110. To really have an impact on the opposing team's ability to adjust at the line, that's what we need. (100+db in the huddle would be our target - but I can't measure that. Does NextGen stats measure that? I'd love to see those numbers around the NFL.)

To put this in perspective, in years past those extra 22k seats would have been wearing blue and it would have been roughly a 50/50 day. It would have felt like an away game and it could have impacted the play on the field with false starts and such.

So far this year the ticket office has done a fantastic job pruning the ticket owners and has made excellent strides in improving the stadium experience for Season Ticket holders.

I took my 7 year old this past week and he loved it. All that excitement at the end of the game really got him going. There were no obnoxious fans or drunks spilling beer. All our interactions will other fans were positive. It felt safe to send him to the bathroom by himself or to get a soda refill. Concession gripe: I wish they had sweet tea. Not brisk or some other fake thing but real sweet tea.

3 hours ago, turtle2328 said:

To put this in perspective, in years past those extra 22k seats would have been wearing blue and it would have been roughly a 50/50 day. It would have felt like an away game and it could have impacted the play on the field with false starts and such.

You think its only away fans that are deciding not to purchase tickets with the higher prices? 

23 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

You think its only away fans that are deciding not to purchase tickets with the higher prices? 

I didn't read his point that way...more like this: 

Would you rather have 50K Redskin fans and 40K Cowboy fans or 40K Redskin fans and 15K Cowboy fans? 

I think he's contending that both fans are staying away, but that this results in a better ratio of home-to-away fans. 

43 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I didn't read his point that way...more like this: 

Would you rather have 50K Redskin fans and 40K Cowboy fans or 40K Redskin fans and 15K Cowboy fans? 

I think he's contending that both fans are staying away, but that this results in a better ratio of home-to-away fans. 

I see. I wouldn't mind the 40K to 15K ratio if we were playing at RFK, but we don't anymore. The lower bowl atmosphere (where Turtle sits) appears to still be there (although vast number of visiting fans are always seen on the visitors side of the lowers). But the club and upper level atmosphere is suffering because of all the empties. This Sunday should be better, but judging by the number of blue dots remaining on the Skins website, this game is almost certainly not going to be a sellout. Sad! 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, hail2skins said:

This Sunday should be better, but judging by the number of blue dots remaining on the Skins website, this game is almost certainly not going to be a sellout. Sad! 

That's because the empty seats are more of a result of the changes the team made in the off season. 

Right now the lowest tickets I'm seeing are for $125/seat.  Add on fees and we're talking closer to $150/per.  Cheapest I've seen parking is $67.  You're looking at a $400 day easily if you're treating someone, and at least a $200 day if you're splitting it.    That's for the cheapest seats in the house.  

I can't fault anyone for not wanting to pay that, especially with the knowledge that last season that same amount could get you much better seats.  

-I'm the one who started this thread following the bad showing at the opener. This week was much different, and i'm happy to give credit where credit is due.

Great job hometown fans! Thanks for showing up! From watching on TV, even with a good amount of Dallas fans in the stadium, we seemed to actually have a home field advantage. It seemed to be loud and energetic! In the Ryan Kerrigan post game interview on redskins.com, he said during that final field goal at the end it was so loud you couldn't hear a thing. That's what a home field advantage is all about. Ya'll made a difference, and helped us all get that win! Ya'll made Redskins nation proud this week! HTTR!

30 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Ya'll made a difference, and helped us all get that win! Ya'll made Redskins nation proud this week! HTTR!

I'm not sure if you've already answered this, but have you ever been to FedEx Field?  I'm really trying to move on from how you started this thread, I kinda don't want your "seal of approval" because i still don't think you get the nerve you struck with this thread.  I don't want an apology either,just want this thread to go away and move on.

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not sure if you've already answered this, but have you ever been to FedEx Field?  I'm really trying to move on from how you started this thread, I kinda don't want your "seal of approval" because i still don't think you get the nerve you struck with this thread.  I don't want an apology either,just want this thread to go away and move on.

Yes I have been there. Monday night game against the Seahawks a few years back. We lost, but I had a great overall experience. The tailgating was great, and the stadium was packed that night. Your "seal of approval" comment is funny. Again just giving credit where credit is due. I just want our team to have a home field advantage. HTTR

23 hours ago, hail2skins said:

ESPN listing attendance is like 66300, which tells me capacity much less than 82K. Noticeable empties in the upper deck, but lower and club full. Energetic crowd today, and let's hope it continues.

$153 for a nose bleed, I stayed home.

42 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

Yes I have been there. Monday night game against the Seahawks a few years back. We lost, but I had a great overall experience. The tailgating was great, and the stadium was packed that night. Your "seal of approval" comment is funny. Again just giving credit where credit is due. I just want our team to have a home field advantage. HTTR

I don't like anyone calling out mine or others fandom, i don't care what the reason is.  You saying that's funny shows you've learned nothing and this thread was a waste of time. I still don't think you get it, you were dead wrong for calling out hometown fans like this, hope you remember that.  I'll get over it eventually.

It will be interesting to monitor the attendance this season going forward, particularly if the Skins can beat NYG can get to 5-2, coming home to face Atlanta.

And it also would be nice to have an updated seating capacity at FedEx. Attendance was listed as 66300, and I know there were a good number of vacant seats in the upper deck, but no way were there close to 16K empty seats total yesterday.

2 hours ago, skins2victory said:

-I'm the one who started this thread following the bad showing at the opener. This week was much different, and i'm happy to give credit where credit is due.

Great job hometown fans! Thanks for showing up! From watching on TV, even with a good amount of Dallas fans in the stadium, we seemed to actually have a home field advantage. It seemed to be loud and energetic! In the Ryan Kerrigan post game interview on redskins.com, he said during that final field goal at the end it was so loud you couldn't hear a thing. That's what a home field advantage is all about. Ya'll made a difference, and helped us all get that win! Ya'll made Redskins nation proud this week! HTTR!

You're welcome.

Games like this make it all worthwhile.

Mrs. Skinsfan and I are still hoarse from the game.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:02 PM, hail2skins said:

It will be interesting to monitor the attendance this season going forward, particularly if the Skins can beat NYG can get to 5-2, coming home to face Atlanta.

And it also would be nice to have an updated seating capacity at FedEx. Attendance was listed as 66300, and I know there were a good number of vacant seats in the upper deck, but no way were there close to 16K empty seats total yesterday.

I believe it. I'll try to attach a pic of the stadium along with results from my decibel meter. It wasn't THAT dis-similar to the Carolina game. But to be fair, I wasn't measuring on that last drive... I was cheering.. and I'd believe we were a smidge louder that last drive. My theory is that the additional 7-11k seats over prior weeks were filled by Cowboy asses. My section hardly had any. The row in front of me had zero. But the view of the visitor's side shows an obvious difference.

I'd expect that to be the case whenever we're over something like 40k. They're expensive. If your team was only coming to town once, you're more likely to pay that high price. I feel especially strong about that when dealing with non-division teams because they don't come every year. At least those teams don't general have as many fans as division opponents. 

Archived