Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

2 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

I can guarantee that story isn’t true was at the game and there were waaaaaaay more Carolina fans then skins fans. It was a sea of blue, black, and white. 

As for the game it was not as pretty as it may have looked on TV. Carolina is not a good football team and we let them almost beat us. Tens have figured us out and if we do not continue to evolve then we will be nothing. Alex Smith refuses to push the ball down field and continues to do his Captain Check Down routine. I can’t blame him because the Oline is again a problem! 

I think many who watched the game will admit we were outplayed by the Panthers. I do not think Carolina is a bad team...…..Cam is a good QB, they have weapons, and have a very good defensive QB in Luke. I think those early turnovers leading to the deficit took them out of their game somewhat.

The Skins D is probably as "OK" as defenses can be in today's NFL when faced with competent QB play. The offense, outside of AP, is boring as all get out. Smith  does a good job protecting the ball, but our downfield threat really seems limited, although having both Crowder and Thompson out today hurt the ability to make a clear eval.

Skins have to try to make hay over the next few weeks, because the schedule is killer over the last 6 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Dallas but then lose at NY.  The team has 8-8 written all over it, which shouldn't be good enough to avoid front office and coaching changes this offseason. 

8 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

The offense, outside of AP, is boring as all get out. Smith  does a good job protecting the ball, but our downfield threat really seems limited, although having both Crowder and Thompson out today hurt the ability to make a clear eval.

Nope. Your eval is spot on. I'm not sure CT and Crowder make much difference this season. 

Alex Smith and the WRs (including Jordan Reed) have no chemistry. Without AP we'd be 0-5 right now. Signing that guy has saved our season so far.

We're not good.

Yeah Chachie, not watching the Cowboys today, but appear they are doing well against Jax.  Dallas, like us, has a decent D, but limited O, especially after losing Witten and Dez to retirement. Wonder if either team is able to score a TD next Sunday. 

FedEx should have a lively crowd next week though, so there is that. 

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

@Chachie and @hail2skins

... Yeesh you guys must be fun at parties

:)

Ed, do you have an issue with what I said?  Really tried not to pooh-pooh the win and allowed that perhaps we would've done more damage with Crowder and Thompson in there. However, this wasn't a dominating win by any stretch (and yes, dominating wins are tough to come by in today's league) and I do think that we were outplayed by the Panthers today, if only slightly. But sometimes you get the W still. 

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Ed, do you have an issue with what I said?  Really tried not to pooh-pooh the win and allowed that perhaps we would've done more damage with Crowder and Thompson in there. However, this wasn't a dominating win by any stretch (and yes, dominating wins are tough to come by in today's league) and I do think that we were outplayed by the Panthers today, if only slightly. But sometimes you get the W still. 

I was just messing with you man.... I would disagree that we got outplayed today though. I thought the opposite. I think Carolina is probably a superior team overall, but we were better today.

We really had them on the ropes early. We stumbled mid game and missed an opportunity to put it away and then they responded and got back in the game. But down the stretch we had a long drive that burned time and yielded points and then stopped them on the final drive. It’s was winning football today. 

You do realize that we just held the top rushing team to 18 carries 81 yards.  With one of them being a wr reverse for 18 yards.  Meaning we held Cam and McCaffrey to 17 carries for 63 yards 3.7 ypc.  There lowest of the season

6 minutes ago, dckey said:

You do realize that we just held the top rushing team to 18 carries 81 yards.  With one of them being a wr reverse for 18 yards.  Meaning we held Cam and McCaffrey to 17 carries for 63 yards 3.7 ypc.  There lowest of the season

As I mentioned in another thread...…..McCaff ran the ball for 9 and 8 yards on the first drive, then we held him to a total of one yard the next two carries on the same drive. The next time McCaff touched the ball on a running play was with under two minutes in the first half pinned back at their own 3, the Panthers FIFTH drive after that first one.

What stopped the Panthers running game was Norv Turner. 

7 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Let's all hope this isn't true.

But if it is, then a nerve has been ****-slapped and someone's ego needs to be put in check.

That can be considered a violation of the 1st Amendment, and boy will things go nuclear for this team in a bad way, mainly the FO, but the fallout will hurt a lot of fans. The media would NEVER let this go.

You act like only the Redskins would make up some dumb rule.  This has been done in other sports by other teams way before.  Tampa Bay Lightnings did it in hockey during the playoffs vs the Caps.

https://wtop.com/washington-capitals/2018/05/heres-shock-lightning-enforcing-dress-code-capitals-fans/slide/1/

30 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

As I mentioned in another thread...…..McCaff ran the ball for 9 and 8 yards on the first drive, then we held him to a total of one yard the next two carries on the same drive. The next time McCaff touched the ball on a running play was with under two minutes in the first half pinned back at their own 3, the Panthers FIFTH drive after that first one.

What stopped the Panthers running game was Norv Turner. 

He had 8 carries for 20 yards.  If your telling me that 2 of them were for 17 yards then that means he had 6 carries for 3 yards.  Think we gave Norv a reason to abandon the run

4 minutes ago, dckey said:

He had 8 carries for 20 yards.  If your telling me that 2 of them were for 17 yards then that means he had 6 carries for 3 yards.  Think we gave Norv a reason to abandon the run

And if Norv decides to totally abandon the run based on the last two carries of the first drive, he is an idiot. 

3 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

And if Norv decides to totally abandon the run based on the last two carries of the first drive, he is an idiot. 

Actually he had three possessions in the second half and scored on each one except for that last one by throwing the ball.  Every scoring possession by Carolina McCaffrey only had 1 yard.  Seems pretty smart to me

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Norvell: Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory. Remember those days? ;)

Obviously a lot of folks on here don't remember those days. Or the Spurrier game against Jacksonville in 2002 where we lost to the Jags 26-7 and only ran 15 times for 64 yards because the OBC thought it was "such a good night to pitch it around."

If Norv thought he could be effective throwing the ball against our secondary (which Cam largely was) or he saw us stacking the box and one wants to say that was a reason for the low yardage total, that is a different argument. I just don't feel there's enough of a sample size to say that the Panthers running game was shut down by anyone except Norv Turner. 

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I think many who watched the game will admit we were outplayed by the Panthers.

I don't think we were outplayed at all. We sustained multiple long drives, led by 17 points for a large part of the game, forced multiple turnovers. What you are getting caught up on is the defense decided to more or less play soft prevent for the entire fourth quarter. Redskins were on hold on mode and while that's aggravating and annoying, I don't know how you can think that a team that we led the whole game outplayed us?

6 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Obviously a lot of folks on here don't remember those days. Or the Spurrier game against Jacksonville in 2002 where we lost to the Jags 26-7 and only ran 15 times for 64 yards because the OBC thought it was "such a good night to pitch it around."

If Norv thought he could be effective throwing the ball against our secondary (which Cam largely was) or he saw us stacking the box and one wants to say that was a reason for the low yardage total, that is a different argument. I just don't feel there's enough of a sample size to say that the Panthers running game was shut down by anyone except Norv Turner. 

He had the number one rushing offense before today.  Alot of it was crashing down the RB on the read options.  But still he had his worst game against us and instead of giving some credit to the defense we say that it was just Norv not calling a good game.  

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't think we were outplayed at all. We sustained multiple long drives, led by 17 points for a large part of the game, forced multiple turnovers. What you are getting caught up on is the defense decided to more or less play soft prevent for the entire fourth quarter. Redskins were on hold on mode and while that's aggravating and annoying, I don't know how you can think that a team that we led the whole game outplayed us?

I think I'm more impressed with Carolina's offense than ours, although, as I said, not having Crowder and Thompson limited us. And we do have to credit the forcing of the turnovers too, although DJ Moore's boneheaded plays early......not downing a punt which would've pinned us deep, and then trying too hard to make something out of nothing on the subsequent punt return...….were big.  Norman made a great effort to strip Moore on the pass reception fumble. And I don't know what happened on Cam's beach ball INT......yes, he was getting pressure on the play, but didn't see his arm get hit or anything. 

9 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This sounds ridiculous.  So of course, i'ts probably true.  

I followed up on the way out of the stadium today to make sure I got it correct.  I don't think he explained it to me correctly the first time, here's the situation:

So before the game, groups of fans get to be in the tunnel right outside of the locker room, behind some ropes.  The players walk out onto the field, high five the fans.  Today, Chris Thompson was in there before the game signing autographs.  I'm not sure how these fans get there but it's a pretty cool experience for them.  He mentioned something about "fan reward" points.  

Anyway, THOSE people aren't allowed to wear opposing team colors and gear.  Like if you were a Panthers fan and I was like "Hey, I got us these cool passes before the game today to get up close to the Redskins in the tunnel, let's do it after we tailgate," and you went in with all your Panthers gear, you'd be asked to take it off.  It makes sense, they don't want the Redskins to walk out of their locker room and see fans with the other teams gear on.

After the guys supervisor explained it to me, it made sense.  It made sense because I was coming up the ramp that takes people down to the field level and to that area and thats when he asked me about my hat and wanted to know if anyone had said anything about it.  (I think when I mentioned completely different sport and different city, it didn't register) . Apparently some of the team officials that police this thing haven't been too stringent on the fans of other teams wearing their gear down there so they were making an extra concerted effort to watch out for it today.  

9 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

It may be a lot of things, but it isn't a violation of the first amendment.

The first amendment only protects you from government censure.

It doesn't protect you from your favorite team's front office acting like over-sensitive twits when it comes to fan attendance and removing opposing team apparel to mask fan turnout.

With the negative 'black eyes' this team has been through in the last 15-20 years, there would be someone or some group TRYING to make it into something its not, especially those who try to raise a stink of the team's name, for one.

That's the world today, even if they are dead wrong they would most likely catch some traction from some sympathetic group to back their cause.

Gotta go back to the original point of the thread that again we had roughly 60K come out to FedEx for the third straight home game this season. The Skins are now 2-1 at home, so I guess it doesn't matter. And I expect the place to be packed against Dallas on Sunday. Still, kind of a weird look. 

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Gotta go back to the original point of the thread that again we had roughly 60K come out to FedEx for the third straight home game this season. The Skins are now 2-1 at home, so I guess it doesn't matter. And I expect the place to be packed against Dallas on Sunday. Still, kind of a weird look. 

I think there is a massive difference between home FIELD advantage and home CROWD advantage. 

In gwneral, I think fans really overrate their impact on a game. I think the FIELD part is much more important. Familiar surroundings, familiar routines, not traveling, etc... are all big advantages that don’t have anything to do with the fans in the stands. And sometimes the advantage is NOT playing on the road. Meaning even if there are a bunch of opposing fans in the stands it’s still not a HOME game for their team. Those guys still had to get on a plane, a bus, a hotel etc. whereas our guys were relaxing the day before the game. 

Now, in big spots or in certain places (Seattle for example) the crowd becomes a secondary advantage during the game helping with momentum etc). 

The Redskins do not have home crowd advantage and really haven’t for a long time. But they still have home field

advantage like everyone else does. 

This coming week, I think is on the fans. I get all the reasons people stay away. But this is our rival and the game right now matters equally to both teams. And we are playing an opponent who’s fans really haven’t had much more to get excited about than we have. If it’s an invasion that to me reflects poorly on our fans and not the outside stuff (which I do think is legitimate). 

Archived