Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Cardinals Prediction Thread: 2018 Kick-Off Spectacular

skins island connection

It's a little known fact that the Cardinal's actually had a better record than the 'Skins last year, and suffered primarily because they had one of the worst QB situations in the league.  They have play makers on offense, and a very solid defense. 

And Jay chose to essentially punt on the entire preseason.  Again.

27-10 Cardinals.  It's the second quarter before the 'Skins get a first down, and they never really get in rhythm offensively.

The 'Skins defense actually keeps them in it for a bit of the game, but eventually wears down and the game gets away from them. 

16 hours ago, Darc Requiem said:

So he get's injured with minimal contact and collects 20 milliion for riding the pine again this year?

I said against the Skins not his career. 

On Sunday, September 02, 2018 at 11:26 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think he was actually entrenched as the starter. I got the impression the coach would be open to competition.

You're aware of their #1 pick, right ? So, I'd say injury isn't the only thing that would change him from starting.

Well aware of Rosen. Doesn't mean they don't want him to sit behind Bradford for a year. 

I was kind of on a natural high about this season until Guice was injured for the year in the first half of the first preseason game.  Since then, I've had an ominous feeling about the season.   I am concerned about more serious injuries to the team's best players, more untimely turnovers, and more plain bad luck.

No matter how well the offense has played the point total seldom reflects it and no matter how well the defense plays the team manages to give up at least 21 points in most games.  The biggest contribution to the defense (now that Guice has been lost) may very well be replacing Cousins with Alex Smith which should prevent TDs from being scored when the defense isn't even on the field.  Also, Gruden has a tendency to shrink in the biggest moments of football games, not to mention his teams have mostly been horrible coming out the gate.

I have more of a wait-and-see approach this year.  They could help me feel better about the season with an impressive win against the Cardinals, which I don't anticipate.

Sadly, Cardinals 24-17.

Prediction: One of our starting CB's will get leg cramps in the 4th quarter in the Arizona desert heat (because, you know, our training staff sucks) and will come out of the game.  An overmatched, undrafted rookie CB will come in and get torched for the losing TD.  Gruden will then be 0-5 in NFL openers.  Good times.   

I want to pick them but I can't get over the fact Gruden has never won an opener.

That plus poor tackling and stopping the run appear to still be an issue if preseason means anything.

26-24 St. Louis Arizona

Bonus pick: If you play fantasy start whoever the Arizona TE is. He will dominate all day.

14 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

I want to pick them but I can't get over the fact Gruden has never won an opener.

That plus poor tackling and stopping the run appear to still be an issue if preseason means anything.

26-24 St. Louis Arizona

Bonus pick: If you play fantasy start whoever the Arizona TE is. He will dominate all day.

The only thing going for Gruden is that in 3 of those openers, the Redskins were clearly the dogs.  2014, new coach, very bad team mostly made up of left overs playing a team that went 9-7. 2016, we lost to the team that was AFC runner up. Last year, we lost to the team that would win the SB. 2015 is the only one Gruden lost against an opponent that was clearly our inferior by mid-season.  Alex Smith is 7-3 while our previous QB also never won an opener.

Week one power rankings: 

RANK 25   CARDINALS

Previous rank: No. 26

Starting to like these Cardinals more, even if the arrow adjacent to this blurb reflects a merely modest jump. Arizona positively throttled the Cowboys in Week 3 of the preseason, and while media in Dallas downplayed the shellacking because of the lack of Cowboy starters involved, the game still raised a few eyebrows in both locales. Apparently, Patrick Peterson still has it -- as in, the ability to morph his job at the corner post into instant offense. A major issue for the Cardinals is getting someone to play at a high level opposite Peterson. That CB2 spot has been a black hole for this franchise. Even worse than the movie "The Black Hole."

RANK 26  REDSKINS

Previous rank: No. 21

The 26 spot is probably a bit low for the Redskins, but Derrius Guice's torn ACL threw a wrench in their plans. Plan B? Adrian Peterson. Pundits have claimed it's time for Peterson to call it a day, while the erstwhile 33-year-old former All-Pro feels he can lead the league in rushing again. Stopping the run was a huge issue for this football team last year -- Washington ranked 32nd in run defense. That's why major draft capital was spent in the nation's capital on No. 13 overall pick Daron Payne. Will he be enough? The Redskins have the links in the chain, but that chain hasn't seen action yet. If Peterson and Chris Thompson produce, and if the defensive line prevents opposing runners from doing the same, this arrow will go up quick.

Ugh....still calling a tight one Skins 27 Cards 24

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/02/2018-opposing-qbs-win-loss-records-vs-cardinals/

The Cardinals will get to face Alex Smith in his Washington Redskins debut. Arizona has faced Smith many times, dating back to his days with the San Francisco 49ers.

In 12 contests against Arizona, he is 6-6. He has thrown 11 touchdowns and eight interceptions and has been sacked 30 times.

On defense: Obviously our biggest problem on defense the past few seasons has been stopping the run and in particular, tackling. The preseason showed that we still have major issues in tackling runners. We're up against a top 5 RB this Sunday. That terrifies me. We have a tendency lately to assume we've solved our run game problems by having Allen healthy and having guys like Payne and Settles on the roster, but until we take it off the paper and put it on the field, I'm going to have to assume we still can't do it. 

On offense: I can envision a scenario where it takes Alex Smith at least a few games to punch us into the end zone consistently due to being new here and due to us not having any WRs that scare anyone in the NFL at all yet and only one RB who USED to scare people. 

On special teams: We haven't had "special" teams in forever. 

I don't mean to be such a downer but.... 26-15 Cards. We score one TD.

Skins: 73

Cards: 3

Early in the first quarter Adrian Peterson takes a handoff from Smith, the run starts out to the Right but Peterson uses his excellent Vision to see the backside crease.  Good thing for the Skins Alex Smith sees the same crease and Hits the Hole.   Leading the way for Peterson, Smith "Ragdolls"  3 defenders before Peterson hits his stride and takes it to the HOUSE!!! The play gets called back for at Phantom Holding call and the Skins go on a methodical 14 play drive resulting in a touchdown and they never look back.  

Archived