Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Cardinals Prediction Thread: 2018 Kick-Off Spectacular

skins island connection

As usual with season openers, we just dont know enough.  Last year everyone was pissed that we lost to an average Eagles team.  Turns out we almost beat the SB Champs.

I have a pretty good feel for what the Skins bring to the table, but Arizona is a mystery.  Sam Bradford worries me a lot, not because he is some world beater, but because he is wildly inconsistent.  He has shown he can be Joe Montana 2.0 or Mark Sanchez 2.0 from week to week.

The AZ defense looks legit, so you have to figure they will be in the game no matter what.  That comes down to our DLine, who I feel good about, but they have played very little.  We saw how thry looked against Denver... dog****.

I will say, in looking at our schedule, Im calling this game a must win

4 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

If its open, it changes my prediction to 10-9 Cards due to our missed extra point.

Ball covered with sweat?  Its gonna be a scorcher

I think one benefit going in is how earnest AP is to prove his retired peers wrong.  I think he is going to have a good game driven by sheer anger....LOL! Might even get a few good starts out of him the first few games.  I think Alex is going to be a bit rusty in the 1st q, so handing off to angry AP most of the first q will work out.   He will warm up in the 2nd quarter.   My biggest question mark really is not our D or O line or even the O overall if we stay healthy.   it is the meh secondary, and poor tackling that we can't seem to shake regardless of the roster composition.    

I am going to say 24-20 Skins in another nail biter because we can't seem to do it any other way.

16 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

That was the cardinals “big announcement” that they had today, they were changing the stadium to State Farm Stadium 

Ahhh cool okay thanks man I appreciate it yep I found out it wasn't to extend David Johnson.. I like State Farm Insurance Stadium instead of University of Phoenix stadium anyway lol

8 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

That was the cardinals “big announcement” that they had today, they were changing the stadium to State Farm Stadium 

That ... was the big announcement?

I feel Rick Rolled.

-----------------------

http://arizonacardinals.freeforums.net/thread/210/opener-washington-redskins-cardinals-pregame

Cards fans started their gameday thread .... 7 weeks before kickoff?

They are some hardcore nerds over there.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:32pm PUTMEIN and Cardinals Junkie like this
Post Options

Post by In the Cards on Aug 31, 2018 at 11:32pm

I feel like the Cardinals have too much momentum going into this game not to win.

27-13 Cards.

AZ will be +3 in turnovers by the end of this game.
--------------------------------------

Momentum ... going into week1? Whaaa? That exists? That is a thing. No wonder we suck week 1.

This is a hard game to predict. I want to say had this been a Week 5(ish) game I'd be confident in picking the 'Skins comfortably.  However, I am still on the fence with the mindset that Gruden-coached teams (at least his 'Skins teams) never seem to be ready for the season in Week 1.  I don't know what it is.  Some of it had to do with Cousins always seeming to be mediocre to start the season, but I also noticed that Gruden didn't give Smith many reps in the "dress rehearsal" game either.

I won't be as bold as to say this is a "must win" since it is Week 1, however, I do think this is a game that can instantaneously exorcise some recent franchise demons.  If the 'Skins go out and not only win, but do so convincingly it will set the tone for the Alex Smith era right off the bat and also get the opening week loss monkey off Gruden's back.

I am going to predict that it happens, although in a somewhat tight contest.  24-20 Washington.

Very tough game to predict.  Both team with new players at key positions, mainly QB, and the cards have a new HC.

I think the Cards defense is better than ours at most positions, but you could argue our interior Dline is slightly better.

Alex Smith >> Sam Bradford, but is Sam has a good game he can still carve up mediocre secondaries which the Redskins certainly display.  

I'm going to say the Skins pull this one out, but it's going to be super close.

Skins win 23-21.  

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I worry about the Redskins being overconfident because they have a history of not backing up their talk. I want them to come out hungry and not flat thinking once again an “inferior” opponent will roll over for them. 

No clue why any pro team could ever feel this way about themselves.  It's proven time and again that this is fools gold thinking, but it keeps happening.

Someone enlighten me because the patriots go out every week and respect their opponent, punch them in the mouth, and win most games.  Then the other side of the spectrum is loser teams like the Skins who should never feel confident EVER, yet somehow disrespect teams and consistently lose :ols:

My original post in this thread was a remark about Gruden never winning a season opener. Since then I discovered a few interesting facts...

Kirk Cousins in season openers since 2014: 2 TDs, 9 INTs, 2 fumbles, 0-4.

Alex Smith in season openers since 2014: 9 TDs, 1 INT, 4-0.

29 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I worry about the Redskins being overconfident because they have a history of not backing up their talk. I want them to come out hungry and not flat thinking once again an “inferior” opponent will roll over for them. 

I don't understand this.

You think the Redskins are going into Arizona brimming with empty confidence? 

No chance. They may have belief in themselves, but they know they need to prove it. They are also going to take this game and every single game seriously. There's enough for us to worry about. Creating this new fear out of thin air should probably not be one of them. ? 

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

And if Smith looks like he did against the Broncos and we loose? ;)

Either way there is plenty of blame for Gruden if we lose.

Edit: Imagine if Skins lose with Alex looking bad and the Vikings win with Kirk looking great..  That will be rough... but if the opposite happens... lots of joy.  Hmmmm.

I think if our Defensive line can stop the run or at least keep it from going off Gruden will get his first win.  How well each team does running the ball will determine if Gruden gets his first win IMO.

20 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

And if Smith looks like he did against the Broncos and we loose? ;)

Then he should have played Alex more than two series in the preseason and maybe he should have played Reed, Crowder, and Thompson at least once. Gruden's antipathy towards the preseason I think is a big part of the reason why his teams start so slowly.

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Then he should have played Alex more than two series in the preseason and maybe he should have played Reed, Crowder, and Thompson at least once. Gruden's antipathy towards the preseason I think is a big part of the reason why his teams start so slowly.

Oh, me too. This frustrated the hell our of me when you have a new QB coming in, and he got basically no reps. Alex need to be ready to go for this team to have any real chance to make the playoffs, and I honestly don't think he was given the chance to do so.

I mean with Johnson being back and everyone is overlooking Sam Bradford who, at this point in his career, is not putting up Brady or Brees numbers, but he's like Aaron Rodgers in the fact he doesn't make mistakes and he's incredibly efficient and he's gotten better the older he gets..That can be scarier than dealing with a Brady or brees who can have an off night here or there.If they can protect him we'll have problems..

Sam Bradford put up 270 YDS, 3 TD's and no INT's with a 78 QBR the last time he played us (2015), and he got sacked 5 times.

We barely won that game, Sam won't be scared of us come Sunday, we need to hit him early and often or he will slice us up much worse than Keenum did in game 3 of the preseason.

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Sam Bradford put up 270 YDS, 3 TD's and no INT's with a 78 QBR the last time he played us (2015), and he got sacked 5 times.

We barely won that game, Sam won't be scared of us come Sunday, we need to hit him early and often or he will slice us up much worse than Keenum did in game 3 of the preseason.

Bradfords career has been derailed by injuries, not ability.  As baldinger would say, hes a problem

Archived