Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

34 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

At this point the two questions that remain regarding AP are:

1) Will the OL be able to hold up such that they can continue to block effectively for him?

2) Will AP be healthy through the entire season?

I think 1 is a bigger question than 2. Although as I say that, Peterson apparently has a slight ankle sprain.

I've never been high on our run blocking as a group. For all the "one of the best OL's in the NFL" talk you get around here, it's not the run blocking that wows anyone. Even so far, AP makes a lot of the yards himself. So, I'm hoping that the line plays more like yesterday, when he isn't getting hit in the backfield close to double digits times like against Indy.

22 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I've never been high on our run blocking as a group. For all the "one of the best OL's in the NFL" talk you get around here, it's not the run blocking that wows anyone. Even so far, AP makes a lot of the yards himself. So, I'm hoping that the line plays more like yesterday, when he isn't getting hit in the backfield close to double digits times like against Indy.

Neither have I. A lot of Skins fans overrate this group bigtime.

Shawn Lauvao is slightly better than average and always gets injured early in the season and Morgan Moses also is beginning to look like a guy we can't depend on. 

I have been beating the drum on interior OL in the draft for a couple of years now and would also not mind if we took a highly rated OT to compete at RT and maybe take over for Trent when he's done. 

50 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Neither have I. A lot of Skins fans overrate this group bigtime.

Shawn Lauvao is slightly better than average and always gets injured early in the season and Morgan Moses also is beginning to look like a guy we can't depend on. 

NO! Shawn Lauvao is one of, if not the worst guard in the league, when healthy. He is not average. All you need to do is take your 2nd year center, move him to guard, and he plays much better, that is all you need to see that Lauvao is not even close to average.

50 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I have been beating the drum on interior OL in the draft for a couple of years now and would also not mind if we took a highly rated OT to compete at RT and maybe take over for Trent when he's done. 

We need a guard, and both Trent and Moses can't seem to stay healthy. It's likely we might need 2 tackles sooner than later.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

NO! Shawn Lauvao is one of, if not the worst guard in the league, when healthy. He is not average. All you need to do is take your 2nd year center, move him to guard, and he plays much better, that is all you need to see that Lauvao is not even close to average.

We need a guard, and both Trent and Moses can't seem to stay healthy. It's likely we might need 2 tackles sooner than later.

Haha ... well, I was trying to be generous re: Lauvao. 

My main point is that we need to emphasize the OL in the offseason. I would have said only LG going into this year but now I feel we need someone we can groom to start on either end. If an elite OT falls to us in the first, we take him.

16 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

My main point is that we need to emphasize the OL in the offseason. I would have said only LG going into this year but now I feel we need someone we can groom to start on either end. If an elite OT falls to us in the first, we take him.

Gotcha :)

Adrian Peterson has been a revelation so far. This season, the 33-year old back has two very strong games to his name, and 236 total rushing yards — good enough for fifth in the league, just behind Rams star Todd Gurley. But even more impressive is the fact that Peterson leads the league in yards after contact (175) and has broken 11 tackles on running plays, tied for third-most in the NFL.

The Redskins have graded poorly in run-blocking. This is something of a surprise, given the track record of several of the team’s offensive linemen, but the line has struggled to open holes in the running game. Only left tackle Trent Williams has earned an above-average run-blocking grade from Pro Football Focus through three games.

Brandon Scherff and Morgan Moses have typically been good run-blockers in the past, but have both been grading below-average this season. Even if the team isn’t able to get high-level performances from all five starting linemen, an improvement on the parts of Scherff and Moses should provide even more promise for the team’s running game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/09/25/redskins-running-game-is-much-improved-this-year-can-they-keep-it-up/?utm_term=.0e3ca37c8a0f

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

I think people ragged on Lavauo so bad, that he's now underrated by some folks.  Not me though, even when he was serviceable, he wasnt good.  And he's not good now.  I knew they were in trouble when they brought him back this year.

37 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I would kill myself doing this.

I'm not sure I have the hops to even jump on that box without carrying any weight. I mean, I'm a 5'7 white boy, and there's a very small difference in athletic ability between AP and me, but still.

18 hours ago, JSSkinz said:
<AP Black Magic super human video>

I am a year older than he is, and I threw my back out trying to hit the play button.

Jesus that guy is insane!

Whichever team had the pick right before he was taken and instead selected a roid rager who's no longer in the league, that team should be embarrassed.  Whoever they are.

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

to read he was ok backing up David Johnson in AZ gave me hope that he'd be ok doing the same here once Guice is healthy.

If AP is still playing at this level next year, his price will be a lot more than $1M.

I am OK with whatever happens with him in 2019, as long as he doesn't go to a division rival.

7 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

If AP is still playing at this level next year, his price will be a lot more than $1M.

Not necessarily. He will be another year older, afterall, and I'm not sure too many teams will want to sign a 34 year old RB to big money. Plus he could be of mind to give the Skins a discount simply because they were the one team that gave him the chance he craved.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Not necessarily. He will be another year older, afterall, and I'm not sure too many teams will want to sign a 34 year old RB to big money. Plus he could be of mind to give the Skins a discount simply because they were the one team that gave him the chance he craved.

but if even if AP gets a moderate size 1 year contract, it will result in us getting a comp pick in 2020.    Right now there is almost no scenarios in which this relationship Redskins and AP can end that will have negative impact on the team....  This was such a lucky FA pickup for us. 

34 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

His vision and agility are still top notch. Some of his runs I was imagining Guice doing...jump cuts and breaking tackles...and to read he was ok backing up David Johnson in AZ gave me hope that he'd be ok doing the same here once Guice is healthy.

I love his vision!  I really hope the younger guys are taking notes.  That could really help them.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:53 PM, JSSkinz said:

Larry Fitzgerald washed up at 35. Haven't heard that narrative. I wonder why?

This is what they call bull**** narrative. Somebody says it and the rest of the sheep grab it and run with with it. Even some that's played the game (Shannon and Chris).

On 9/25/2018 at 12:21 PM, bird_1972 said:

Agreed, that's why I'm hoping for Jonah Williams, ot from Alabama to fall to us in the first.  We talked about it in the draft thread.  He can start day 1 at LG, then be the heir apparent at LT when Trent moves on.  I would love to see that approach.   

On 9/25/2018 at 1:48 PM, justice98 said:

I think people ragged on Lavauo so bad, that he's now underrated by some folks.  Not me though, even when he was serviceable, he wasnt good.  And he's not good now.  I knew they were in trouble when they brought him back this year.

I dont think Lauvao is as bad as people make him out to be, but we definitely need a better starting LG than him.  But for the rest of this year, I think we could do worse as a backup LG.  He knows the system, and how many good backup guards are there in the league.   Roll with Bergstrom and roullier rest of the way with lauvao as backup.  Then in 2019 they upgrade the position and wish Lauvao well.  

A lot of ppl rag on the front office for settling for lauvao, but he wasn't signed til may 8th, about ten days after the draft.  They planned on arie being the starter, and it seemed the skins were ready to move on from lauvao, but when arie went down, the draft was over, the few free agents had been scooped up, and there were not many good options.  So they brought lauvao back bc of his familiarity with the system.  Bottom line is you can't upgrade every hole in one off-season.  Overall, we had a great off-season and upgraded many areas.  Due to injuries and the fact you can't upgrade everywhere, LG was not one of the areas that improved.  So we work with what we got, and as we enter 2019 we have fewer holes to fill, you can bet guard will be one of them. But I think it's ridiculous to sit here and say great job upgrading QB, NT, RB, WR, depth at many positions and then rail on the one position that didn't get upgraded.  As if anything short of perfection as far as off-season moves is unacceptable.  Overall, it was a very good off-season.

As far as AP goes, I think it's all about AP's perception about what type of team we will have in 2019 that will dictate if he returns or not.  He has made his money, he obviously just wants to play, so if he feels he can carve out a role while playing for a team that could contend, I think we would be able to bring him back on a short term deal for as low as 2-3 mil per.  With guice coming back from an acl, I think AP could have a significant role in 2019 in a rbbc.  

Peterson has been such a pro.  Our offensive mvp thus far imo.  He leaves everything out on the field, and on top of that he's a team player.  Couldn't be happier with the decision to bring him in.  A running back like this, is what we've been lacking for years.  And I've been trying to say that's what the problem was for the longest.

Archived